Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Love At First Sample!!! πŸ₯°

I know you’ve tried a sample (or ten) of something and it was so magical it made you stop everything and buy a product cause it was love at first sample!  What was it and did the full sized version live up to your initial heart-melted impression? Or is it still on your shopping list to pick up at your earliest convenience?  

The first time I can recall this happening to me was when Sephora still carried Dermadoctor.  I had a sample of their KP Duty Body Scrub.  I used it just to push it through my stash and was absolutely blown away by how immediately soft and exfoliated my skin was!  Instant purchase!   It’s been six years and I have yet to find any body scrub that compares -and I’ve tried!

A more recent love-at-first-sample is the Dior Backstage Face and Body Primer!  It’s a slightly peach tinted,creamy gel consistency and is mega hydrating while blurring subtle imperfections on its own but making foundation apply so smoothly!!!  Plus it has a beautiful floral fragrance which may not be everyone’s cup of tea but it’s very pleasing to me. πŸ™‚  

Dior BACKSTAGE Face & Body Primer 1.6 oz/ 50 mL 

DD1045C5-8116-4168-8E3F-956F889C7256.gif

 

3A43182D-7CF8-4635-A0A3-6C4D9C155F6A.jpeg

 

Re: Love At First Sample!!! πŸ₯°

I’ve become so obsessed with the KΓ©rastase Curl Manifesto Hydrating Leave-In Cream for Curly Hair 5.1 oz/ 150 mL ! Got this in the reward bazaar and my hair really like it’s - it seems to do a lot for frizz removal for me ! I am going to snags a full size during the upcoming sale 

6F93EA1E-A8A8-4E9A-89C7-2735A274B6E4.jpeg

 

This is good to know, @Kim888 !  I'm always looking for products to help with my wavy/curly frizzy hair.

One of you enablers (Sorry, I don't remember WHICH one of you...) had raved about the Dior Dior Forever Skin Glow Hydrating Foundation so I finally asked for a sample of it when I was in store a few weeks ago.  Spoiler: I bought it.  Whoever recommended it (thank you, BTW) to me didn't steer me wrong!

Idk if I've posted this one but Maison Francis Kurkdjian's Gentle Fluidity Gold. I'm not one to splurge on perfumes but this was what I asked for Christmas. It's perfect for everyday but a little more elevated than what I usually wear.

TULA Skincare The Cult Classic Purifying Face Cleanser 6.7 oz/ 200 mL leaves my skin smooth, soft, and cleansed without a hint of tightness or dryness. It’s a good second cleanser or morning cleanser on those mornings when my face feels it needs something more than lukewarm water and a washcloth. I was wowed by the mini TULA Skincare Mini The Cult Classic Purifying Face Cleanser 1.69 oz/ 50 mL last year - it helped to keep my breakouts (hormonal acne and maskne) at bay - and I knew I had to pick up a full size at some point and I have!

Tula Purifying Cleanser.jpg

@itsfi  I have to agree with you.  It is a terrific face wash.  I am on my 2nd tube.   

@Cissy63, ahhh, a repurchased item is a tell tale sign of a loved product.😍 This one is indeed a good one. πŸ‘ I first heard of its greatness from @RGbrown on the empties thread and picked up the travel / mini as part of an Ulta gwp promo (before Sephora started carrying the brand). I was a smidge nervous initially because I didn't know if it'd be drying on my skin but it works beautifully. πŸ’™ Very happy to hear it's a go-to of yours as well!

That's a great cleanser for dry/sensitive skin @itsfi  *yeahy!*  Got a sample of a few of thier products and that as well as the 24/7 moisture cream were both so lovely 😍 I like the baby powder scent too, but I can totally get that scent is a big trigger for alot of people's skin concerns.

What exfoliators don't bother your skin if i can ask?

@CynthieLu, oh, baby powder? I'll have to remember to keep that in mind when I next reach for the cleanser. There's something that's familiar about it but I couldn't pinpoint the exact notes. 

Exfoliating products that work for me, let's see, there's a handful in different forms.

Cleansers:

AMOREPACIFIC Treatment Enzyme Peel Cleansing Powder 1.94 oz/ 55 g 

SEPHORA COLLECTION Smoothing Cleanser 

Toner:

Paula's Choice Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant (but only on my T-zone)

Peel Pads

First Aid Beauty Facial Radiance Pads 

SEPHORA COLLECTION Mini Glow Peel Pads 20 Pads 

Treatments/Masks:

Peach & Lily Super Reboot Resurfacing Mask

innisfree Pore Clearing Clay Mask 3.38 oz/ 100 mL 

Paula's Choice Skin Perfecting BHA 9 Treatment 0.3 oz/ 9 mL (spot treatment only)

There's probably a couple more that are not coming to mind at the moment, but, except for the Sephora cleanser which I just disovered this year, all are products that I've repurchased, some repeatedly.

Thank you for that @itsfi I don't exfoliate often, it's hit and miss what is too much for me.  I'm always curious about what works for other sensitive skin- ers. I appreciate the product mentions πŸ’–

@CynthieLu, yeah, exfoliating products are hugely hit or miss and sadly, it’s something you often have to try out to find out where it falls on the hit or miss continuum.

Mind if I ask what’s your preference (if you have one) when it comes to exfoliating products?

• chemical or manual 
  • AHA or BHA or PHA? 
  • As a standalone product (toner, peel pads) or included in another product (cleanser, mask)?

What exfoliating products have you tried that’s been too much for your skin? 

@itsfi My skin does not enjoy manual exfoliation, like a wash with hard bits in it? I can use it once and my skin starts to say nooooooo pretty quickly.

I was okay with the Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Exfoliating Peel Spray 1.7 oz/ 50 mL  once a week while I had a sample ( it lasted a long time to 😁 )

And the Glow Recipe Watermelon Glow PHA + BHA Pore-Tight Toner 5.07 oz/ 150 mL a few times a week. If I use this everyday my skin will start to complain. But a few times a week my skin likes it allot.

But everything else I try usually ends in redness  or ezcema flare ups.

I am to afraid to try anything else lol like those Dr Gross Peel pads I think would be way too overwhelming for my skin. 

@itsfi -- I used the older cleanser too, very nice even on my dry skin. Someone in my family passed on a trial sized kit of Tula products and I enjoyed all of them except the chemical peel serum, it was just too intense for me.

@heavyhedon, that's good to know. Thank you! I'll probably stay away from their peel - I've been sticking to some tried-and-true peels / exfoliating products and I've been doing better with products that are more gentle on my skin - less intense peels / exfoliating products work better for me.

@itsfi , me too. I can't use anything that exfoliates too often, either. 

Yeah, I'm at 1-2x per week @heavyhedon; maybe up to 3x in the summer months when my skin is oilier. I can use something like the enzyme powder cleansers (like amorepacific or tatcha) with more frequency, but I try not to, for fear of compromising my skin barrier. It's so easy to do that and yet takes a long time to heal when it is compromised. lol.

@heartsmyface I had been on the lookout for a facial sunscreen that did not make me a ghost, worked well with my foundation and was not greasy on my skin.   I received a sample of Supergoop! Mineral Mattescreen Sunscreen SPF 40 PA+++ 1.5 oz / 45 mL .  I was so pleased with this sunscreen.  It played well with my skin and my foundation. In fact, I can use it also as a primer.  I bought a full size of it in late spring and have used it daily since it arrived.  πŸŒž

Supergoop is very nice and easy to wear @Cissy63 my main lookout for sunscreen is that I don't hate wearing it lol

I wonder if this one is like the Supergoop! Mini Unseen Sunscreen SPF 40 PA+++ 20 mL , I thought it was primer like also

@CynthieLu   Yes the Supergoop! Mini Unseen Sunscreen SPF 40 PA+++ 20 mL will also act as a primer.  We have a 2 story home and I keep a small skincare and makeup supply downstairs.  Including sunscreen.  I have this mini with that supply.  I never used to wear it daily.  But then I thought, I am doing all of this skincare to reduce dark spots.  If I don’t wear sunscreen I am just wasting my time and money. 

πŸ’― percent yes to that @Cissy63 

Spf everyday is my goal too.

You got that right, we spend our good money on creams, serums etc.. but spf is a hugely important step. 

I just used to hate how most sunscreens felt or reacted on my skin.  But now I have a few excellent ones that I don't mind wearing at all πŸ˜„ Super goop is a great line in my opinion

170 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos12
  • 3A43182D-7CF8-4635-A0A3-6C4D9C155F6A.jpeg
  • DD1045C5-8116-4168-8E3F-956F889C7256.gif
  • Sample 2 Full Size - LancoΜ‚me.jpeg
  • Photo from US Lookfantastic site
  • D009A711-0D6A-4BED-9508-2474B3E39253.jpeg
  • Benefit Concealer.jpg
  • Screenshot_20220826-133617_Chrome.jpg
  • Saint Jane SPF.jpg
  • 560dce3d-8ba7-5b69-8453-7a5e70aced25.jpeg.jpg