Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Wellness Warriors
|

Beauty Supplements: Actually helpful or just hype? ‌‌‌

Hi there! For those who have taken (or are taking) beauty supplements, do you find them to be actually helpful or just hype? 🤔 
Beauty Supplements - Original Post.jpg
There are a lot of over-the-counter beauty supplements and products. They're not one size fits all, and many  recommend consulting with a healthcare practitioner before taking them. 

Whether it be ​capsules, gummies, liquids or powders, for your hair, skin or nails, would love to hear about beauty supplements you're taking or have taken, and if you've noticed any results, positive or negative. 

Re: Beauty Supplements: Actually helpful or just hype? ‌‌‌

I am definitely someone who spends $ on supplements.  I use Mini Multi Cap from Swanson Vitamins (no zinc, which I can't use, it's hard to find in a multi.) 

I use Carlson's Vitamin D+K drops (for kids, but each drop is 1,000 IU so it's easy to control the dosage.)  Vitamin D should be taken with K because without it, Vit D can inflame the blood vessels, or something like that.  D definitely makes a difference for me in a lot of ways.

I have used Hum Nutrition's Glow Gummies for skin, which contain hyaluronic acid.  I noticed that in addition to helping my skin, I had less joint pain.  They were out of stock for a long time, so I switched to Jarrow's Hyaluronic Acid veggie capsules.  I now have no joint pain whatsoever; these are even more effective than Hum's.  And I have a health condition that often results in joint pain, so this is a big deal to me.

Pure Encapsulation's B-Complex Plus; my hair grows at least 1/3 inch between hair colorings as a result of this. 

Various digestive enzymes, Calgee Sustainable Vegan Omega-e capsules (absolutely NO fishy or weird odor at all!)

BIOptimizers Magnesium Breakthrough.  7 different forms of magnesium, fulvic acid, and manganese.   This is the only magnesium I have found that completely prevents muscle cramping for me (again due to a condition.)

Hum Nutrition Private Party probiotic contains cranberry and is excellent for yeast overgrowth prevention.

There are more that I take, but basically this is what my diet consists of.

Ispend2much6_0-1715491866177.png

Thanks for such a good breakdown @Ispend2much6 . There are lots of joint and bone issues in my family so I'm making note of your recommendations. 

@makeitup305  I hope with all my heart these are helpful to you.  It's so hard to do anything with pain, and it can get frustrating. 

@Ispend2much6, that's great you found something that works so well for joint pain.

@itsfi   Thank you so much!!  It's a great relief.

@Ispend2much6 I do take a hair, skin and nails supplement.   I had very brittle nails but after taking a supplement my nails are healthier.  I think supplements can help but a good diet, exercise and good sleep habits are more important. 

@CorgiMommy  That would be the best way.

I have a "one foot in, one foot out" perspective on supplements.  I do think they are beneficial, but I feel like either you should talk it out with a healthcare professional, or review the research and see if you can find a consensus amongst your PCP or med team.  My reasoning is simple, supplements aren't really regulated and can get quite costly if you're not really sure what to use, how much to use and why to use.  That being said, if you have specific needs and issues you've already identified and have discussed with someone and even had labs drawn, then go for it.  There's even something to be said about a placebo effect that supplements have.

I currently use:

MVI (pre-natal multivitamin)

Sourse Mood Bites – Vegan Saffron and Vitamin D3 Infused Chocolate Supplements for Positive Mood 30 ... 

Collagen Peptides

Slow Mag (The Slow Mag is probably the one I am least consistent with)

The MVI is just my general one, and I have noticed that when I stop taking it, my nails aren't quite as strong.  It doesn't have any special add ins like some prenatals do (no DHA for example), so I think it's just the added folic acid and B-complex in it.  I used to use biotin and didn't see much a difference.

The Collagen, most people use if for skin (there's strong research there thanks to COVID), but I use it for joint health starting about a year ago as sort of an "insurance" after a work out to reduce tears.  I gave it to hubbs to, and placebo or not, we both noticed less strain after working out.

The mood bites.  It's chocolate.  It has a teensy amount of vitamin D, and I usually run low, so win win here.

The Slow Mag.  I use it to relax, and I got slow mag just because magnesium oxide can run a bit of GI distress.

@danielledanielle, completely agree with your thoughts on consulting with healthcare professionals and/or doing your own research. Thanks for mentionin the B-complex and nail connection - for me personally, I have noticed that my nails do better when my diet includes foods rich in vitamin B on a more regular basis.

@itsfi..I'm totally biased, 😂, but yes, that's what you should do before you spend all your hard earned dollars.  I roll my eyes a lot when there's a new nutrient beauty trend that promises everything and anything. However, there's usually a nugget of truth in it and it could help someone.  Also, if you're doing something for your health, why not make your health professional work for you...that's what they are supposed to do ...not just necessarily treat and diagnose, prevention is super important too.

The other thing about B-complex (this isn't directed at you) is that it's important for supporting energy because it supports the processes that lead to creating energy, but the vitamins themselves do not create.  Also, B vitamins are pretty ubiquitous in a lot of foods, but I think the combo in a prenatal with folic acid is key, because folic acid vs folate is usually better taken up.  I was just watching an episode of American Dad and the wife wanted to be a Guinness Book Record holder for nails, so she started taking prenatals and I was cracking up because that kinda works.  I never compared the amount of each B vitamin in my prenatal to a Hair-skin-one I was taking, but it's an interesting thought in that I know I fare better on the prenatal than the Hair combo.  This is a very person specific thing btw, but I would posit more people to kind of examine each and look for differences, such as thicker hair follicles, less brittle nails, more energy, etc etc.

@itsfi the supplement that I've taken the most, and have taken most consistently overall, is Ashwaghanda. I only take it during periods of high stress or when I'm feeling excessively anxious for a longer period of time than usual. I don't really suffer from anxiety but it has helped me when I start to feel that overwhelemed/suffocated feeling. In that sense, it does help me sleep better and levels me out. However, if I take it too long it can start to mute other emotions. It's super weird. I was taking a pretty high dose (I get the big one at Costco) so idk if it happens with smaller doses. I know this is one where you're supposed to consult with your doctor if you take any medications. I'm not on anything, so I just take it when I feel like I need to and that's it. 

I have taken a magnesium complex for digestion and sleep and did feel like it helped. I need to start taking it again, along with collagen. I'm really inconsistent with vitamins so I have a hard time determining whether something is actually helping. I was taking collagen in pill form but recently picked up a powder to try adding it to my coffee in the morning to be more consistent. I'm hoping it will help my skin retain moisture. I also just bought the "LifeTime Vitamins, Calm & Calmer With Relora" which has Rhodiola and L-theanine as well to help my sleep, which isn't the best. I wake up often and easily.

Ahhhh, Ashwaghanda @makeitup305! A co-worker gave me some ashwaghanda tea a while back and I do have some supplements with it. It's not in my everyday set of supplements, but I should try to remember to do as you, and take it during periods when I'm more likely to be prone to high stress or anxiety.

@itsfi - For sleep, I use a YT channel that plays binaural beats.  I was skeptical, but my sleep has gone from 2-3 hrs per night (for decades) to 6-7 hrs for the past 2-3 months that I've been using this method.

I take

• Vitamin B complex (contains all the B vitamins)
  • C
  • D-2
  • E
  • Magnesium 
  • Zinc

I've been doing this since becoming a vegetarian around 1990.

Wow @Titian06, that improvement in your sleep is remarkable. I'll have to look into binaural beats.

@itsfi I take Erewhon sea moss gel and Agent Nateur marine collagen and have noticed an improvement with my hair and nails and overall health. 

@SportyGirly125, that's great that you've seen good results. How long have you been taking these supplements. I received a few things from Agent Nateur but haven't had a chance to try them. 

@itsfi @I have been taking sea moss gel since January and the marine collagen for a month. 

I take Hair and Nail Gummies that I purchased from Costco. I also swear by the Rescue Patch by the Good Patch (recommended by @heartsmyface ) for a late night out. I ended up getting some other patches since. The relax one was nice for the nights I was stressed. They are not marketed as beauty items. I get them from a health focused site.

Spoiler
 20240510_152512.jpg

I have not tried these ones yet, but I can report back once I try them out. 

Oooh, I'm definitely interested in getting your feedback on these @Mellmars1185! I picked up the ones @heartsmyface recommended and have seen these other varietals in the beauty section in Target. 

@itsfi I tell everyone about the Rescue ones. They have helped me so much! I recently purchased thr last remaining 3 off of the site I normally buy them from 😅 @heartsmyface 

Conversation Stats
  • 23 replies
  • 92 Hearts Given
  • 8 Contributors
Photos3
  • Beauty Supplements - Original Post.jpg
  • Beauty Supplements - Post 1.jpg
  • 20240510_152512.jpg
testing