Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Wellness Warriors
|

2022 Self-Care Check-in Challenge: Tell us your solo relaxation tips!

2022 Self-Care Check-In Challenge2022 Self-Care Check-In Challenge

Welcome to 2022, Beauty Insider Community! At this point, the importance of “self-care” is talked about so often that it sometimes almost feels like a chore. Which totally defeats the purpose, right? Self-care is important, but it’s meant to be restorative and enjoyable. 🧖‍♀️ That’s why we’re reviving our Self-Care Check-in Challenge, this time with weekly inspiration for themed rituals and beauty resolutions to incorporate into your own self-care routines.

Check back weekly and let us know in the replies: How are you committing to the self-care theme of the week? Share your tips and tricks, or just get motivated by others (you can even check out @haleyvvvv's 2022 Beauty Resolutions/Goals  thread for more inspirational beauty resolutions to kick-start your new year)! And if a certain theme doesn’t speak to your personal self-care needs, skip it! But don’t forget to stop by to cheer on your fellow BIC-ers. 📣

• Week 1 (1/5 – 1/11) – Getting active (…and if contouring is your cardio, that’s cool too!) 🏅
  • Week 2 (1/12 – 1/18) – Taking care of your hair 💇‍
  • Week 3 (1/19 – 1/25) – Improving your sleep routine 😴
  • Week 4 (1/26 – 2/1) – Trying a new wellness trend (supplements, CBD, gua sha, oh my!) 🔮
  • Week 5 (2/2 – 2/8) – Staying organized and productive 📚
  • Week 6 (2/9 – 2/15) – Setting a skincare goal for 2022 😚
  • Week 7 (2/16 – 2/22) – Meditating and mindset 🧘🏼‍
  • Week 8 (2/23 – 3/1) – Relaxing solo (how do you like to unwind when you get a minute to yourself?) 💆🏻‍

Reply below to share how *you* self-care, and don’t forget to tag any products you’re using (if applicable!) using the “#” sign!

Re: 2022 Self-Care Check-in Challenge: Share how you're committing to a better sleep routine!

@heartsmyface asmr videos are so wild! At first, I thought they were super weird but they are so relaxing! I really like the ones they mimic beauty treatments haha 

Re: 2022 Self-Care Check-in Challenge: Share how you're committing to a better sleep routine!

To get a goodnight's sleep, I have been trying to go to bed early. My sleep pattern has been so messed up the last couple of years.

I try to clear my mind or think of trivial chores I need to do the next day. I know it sounds counterintuitive, but it works for me. Before I know it, Ive fallen asleep.  I also spray my pillow with Slip Sleep Mist 3.4 oz/ 100 mL  to create a relaxing environment. Unfortunately, I have to spray alot because the smell doesn't last long. I will need to look for a differnt sleeping spray.🙃

I turn off electronics at least 30 minutes before bed. Then I do my nightly skincare routine, which helps me to wind down. I use Dermalogica Precleanse Cleansing Oil, Beautycounter cleanser, Dermalogica Daily Superfoliant Exfoliator 2 oz/ 57 g, Tatcha The Texture Tonic AHA Liquid Exfoliating Treatment 5.07 oz/ 150 mL, and Murad Retinol Renewal Value Set. I also use a lavender scented body lotion with melatonin in it. I use aromatherapy and a manta sleep mask as well.

In order for me to get the best sleep, I compose a new morning and night time ritual each week to follow. This week, I’ve planned yoga in the morning, reading for 30 minutes, working out for 60 minutes, going outside for at least 30, and then other errands or social activities. At night, I take time to do my skin care routines that involve a makeup remover, cleanser, exfoliant, serum, and mask. After my skin care routine, I do yoga for 15 minutes, then journal for 20 minutes. I try to stay off social media as much as possible, because I realized it hurt my sleep schedule and also mental health before bed. Also, avoiding nicotine and coffee (any stimuli) before bed is also helpful. #bettersleep #selfcarecheckinchallenge2022

@MomoElise Tose are some excellent ways to wind down before bed! I need to work on reducing social media before bed for the same reasons. Social media can be a great tool but sometimes it can be a distraction for me.

I have currently started anew routine of making my self care my umber 1 priority. I’ve been making healthy protein shakes adding Collagen to give my skin and hair a beautiful boost. Taking care of my skin, washing my face twice daily and using retinol, serums and eye cream. I also love adding #CBD into my daily regimen because it really helps me relax. Writing in my journal before bedtime is my nightly routine so I don’t go to bed with too much on my mind. All of these things ensure a good, well rested sleep! #soljaneiro #bumbumcream #collagen #retinol

So before I go to bed, I put on Dr. Teal's Body Lotion, Sleep Lotion. It's supposed to promote a better night's sleep, and it contains Shea Butter, Cocoa Butter and Vitamin E which nourishes and renews the skin. There's also Melatonin, Lavender and Chamomile essential oils that helps you get a good night's sleep. It's very lightweight and has a nice little cooling sensation when you put the lotion on your skin. Love using it. You can buy it at Target.  Honorable mentions are: Farmacy Honey Grail Ultra-Hydrating Face Oil 1 oz/ 30 mL , Bite Beauty Agave+ Nighttime Vegan Lip Therapy 0.5 oz/ 15 g 

@HeatherAriana Those are some great bedtime products. I am actually going to check out that Dr. Teals lotion!

What a great idea for chatting - sleep routines!  For years now I've been worrying how I'll sleep each night.  I need to adjust my sleep routine and take less OTC stuff to get to sleep.  Melatonin helps me, but it leaves me feeling so off.  I take 3 mg, and I'm honestly surprised about how high the dosages are these days.  I had the hardest time finding a 1 mg a while back - and I got such weird nightmares that I never went back.  If I could change one thing, it'd be better sleep leading to better days.

I try to calm down before going to sleep, and having my beauty rituals help.  

Here's where I go on a lengthy rant about all the things that contribute to my sleep issues.  Oh, and not having my cat Bam Bam sleeping on the bed with me hasn't helped (he passed away).

Spoiler

I also need to get into a better eating cycle.  I have gastroparesis (i.e. delayed gastric emptying, so food sits for a long time).  This means I get full easily, but can also be hungry.  Things have been so crazy at work, that often my eating gets messed up.  When my stomach's "off," sleep is the next to go.  It's a vicious cycle -- b/c if I take a nap (and many times I can't help myself) things just get worse and worse.  Ideally I do best eating 800-1000 calories a day.  But I'm so busy at work that I need more calories which of course makes sense, but doesn't work so well for me.  I used to work someplace that was a little less busy, so I had time to drink Yogi Egyptian Licorice tea (1-3 cups at work) and it really soothed my stomach and kept hunger at bay.  Another obstacle for me is that I like to eat fresh fruit (though I can't eat too much due to the fiber) but this time of year is near impossible to get anything decent where I live.

I'm really desirous of making changes to lead to changes - if that makes any sense.  And I agree that I should get more physical activity in which would lead to better sleep.  I was walking before it got super hot this summer (I'm talking 90s) and then couldn't get back into it this fall.  Now I feel like it's too dark and cold to walk.  I'd like to buy a treadmill, but honestly I didn't use the last $800 one.

@greeneyedgirl107 I know what you mean about the sleep schedule and off-eating routines... I feel like that's a struggle I understand all too well (and the vicious cycle too). I'm so sorry about your kitty cat. Animals are such a joy that it's truly a shame they don't live forever. 

@QueenMarceline Thanks!!!  💞

@greeneyedgirl107 - I understand about not having a cat to sleep with!  My sleep got worse (if that's possible) after Isabella passed away a few years ago (she slept with me every night).  Ivan doesn't sleep with me.  😞

@Titian06 😻  It makes such a difference!  I have a list of cat traits I want in a cat, and it's pretty high.  My husband and I always said that our cats Bam Bam and Munchkin spoiled us!

@TeamBIC I wish you all the best with your sleep routine. Different things work for everyone. I agree with you on the beauty rituals. Routine helps me a lot and reading before bed is a big one.

For improving my sleep routine I take my sleep hygiene very seriously. I got an Oura ring. It is a wearable ring that tracks my sleep and my activity for the day. I love to see the numbers. I am very stats driven and it also tells me when I need to rest. 

09A4D789-D97F-45B2-9AFB-11636089189E.png

I also take Moon Juice Magnesi-Om® Berry Unstressing Drink 4 oz/ 120 g  before I go to bed and for me it really helps me get a good sleep!!  I also shut my electronics down and read before bed to get myself ready. 

@ather That is really neat! I have never heard of an Oura ring. Interesting that you are stat driven! I am trying to pay attention to patterns  numbers and stats more to be a better person. I want to start tracking most aspects of my life.

@Mellmars1185  Omg I’m obsessed. I can’t wear a watch or Fitbit to bed so the Oura ring is perfect for me. Some times I don’t agree with the stats but I would say 90% of the time it’s bang on. 

Melatonin gummies and the Slip contour sleep mask is my go to for a great night sleep.

@faeriegirl  Which gummies do you take? I’ve actually ever tried melatonin before. 

@ather  I take Natrol Sleep + Immune health gummies. They have melatonin, elderberry, zinc, and vitamin c & d. I really like them and I fall asleep so much faster.

Week 2

I decided to cut dreads, to keep my hair Moisturized. So that it can grow healthier and stronger 💪🏾

testing