Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Skincare 101: Discussions, Questions and All

This is a place to discuss everything skincare.

- Have a question about a product (Or type of product)

- Need recommendations

- Learned a new tip or trick you want to share with fellow skincare junkies

- New to skincare and lost about where to start

- Have a skincare emergency ( Bad reaction, broken dropper, lost lid of a jar)

IMG_5795.JPG

Images From top left to clockwise (Essencz, Garnier, Men's Fitness, Harper Bazaar)

We have some great thread about skincare but I feel we don't have a general place to discuss skincare which is open for everything from lowend products to luxury skincare. 

Other skincare threads you may like to explore

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Ask-The-Experts/All-about-Luxury-skincare-Come-in-and-chat-about-you...

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Stories/Daily-Skincare-what-are-you-using/m-p/2716765#M8681

Re: Skincare 101: Discussions, Questions and All

OMG - I second @alexasteph's recommendation, @ElleElleG and @RC1989!!! The Noni Glow Oil is amazing!!!! ❤️ ❤️ ❤️ 

Agreed!! @alexasteph 

@RC1989 Think of your dehydrated skin as unable to absorb anything... so rather than absorbing the oil it produces, it just sits on top.

Once you repair it (with a good moisturizer, like facial oil - and ensure your cleanser isn't a harsh cleanser) it will eventually drink up the facial oil and absorb whatever natural oil it produces throughout the day. I rarely use blotting sheets anymore ever since I started using an oil in 2015.

@alexasteph @k617 

Thanks so much, my skincare routine is gentle so I think this will top it off hopefully.  I do have some oil samples so I’m going to give that a try. Do you use the oil morning and night completely skipping a moisturizer? Also curious how many drops you use and if you wait a certain time to apply makeup.  I’m excited blotting sheets are always near by. Thanks again! 

@RC1989 The way I use oils is sort of as a serum, and I do use additional moisturizers. In the morning I layer it between my day time serum and moisturizer and at night I use it as my nighttime moisturizer after my night treatment. You want to apply things thinnest to thickest. 

AM: FAB Utlra Repair Hydrating Serum - JM Argan Oil Light - JM Whipped Argan Face Butter

PM: PTR Retinol Fusion PM - JM Argan Oil - Kora Noni Oil

Like @k617 said, I apply a few drops to my hands and press it in to my face without rubbing. 

Thanks so much  @alexasteph ! 

I use an oil in both my AM and PM skincare routines.

Some days, I do use a moisturizer before an oil (it's winter and the wind is drying out my skin) and in the PM some nights I will use a moisturizer if I feel like my skin has taken a beating or if I feel that it could use some extra nourishing.

If you're wary of oils, give 100% squalane a try too. It's not actually an oil but has an oil-like texture and I actually have two bottles of squalane right now. I have multiple oils that I rotate on a regular basis: Biossance Squalane + Vitamin C Rose Oil, Peter Thomas Roth Oiless Oil, Pixi Rose Oil Blend, Sunday Riley UFO, Herbivore Phoenix, Drunk Elephant Virgin Marula, Fresh Seaberry Oil. Others that I finished and loved, just haven't repurchased yet: Herbivore Lapis, Laura Mercier Nourishing Rose Oil

I usually apply 3 drops directly to my face, I spread in my palm then press in firmly multiple times to absorb. I normally don't really wait to apply makeup, I apply my primer as soon as I walk over to my vanity, sit down, and turn on the lights 🙂

@k617 Sounds great, I’m going to look into some of those oils and try your routine! ☺️

Hope you find something that works for you @RC1989!

Hi everyone! I want to start focusing on my skincare for 2018. I’ve never paid to much attention to my skin and skin care however, I’ve been noticing that I have large, visible pores on my cheeks and nose. I did some research and it might consider to be sebaceous filaments. I can feel the bumps on my nose when I touch it. There are little hairs that I can see inside my dark pores. My skin is combination skin, oily by the T-zone, very sensitive so I get rashes depends on what touches my face. Also, my face looks dull therefore I want to brighten it up and have that glowy/luminous look. So what do you girls/guys think I should do about my skin? Please help me come up with a AM PM routine. I’m so lost of what I’m supposed to use. Thank you!’

@Nhitovo I agree with @pocketvenus The Ordinary is a good brand to try if you are on a budget. You are Yonge so you don’t need too much stuff to put on your face. Proper cleansing and moisturizer with a few targeted treatment will do a lot of good to your skin. From your post I feel your bigger concern are black heads and clogged pores. A BHA treatment in your routine will help you a lot to clear your pores. 

You can try The Ordinary 2% Salicylic acid solution for black heads. 

Masks are a great boost for skin and as pocketvenus said, you can use DIY masks with the minimum cost. You can google recipes by typing your skin concern or if you want, I can look up some for you and send you the links.

Hi @Nhitovo 

i think we were all new to skincare once so you have to start somewhere 🙂

it does sound like sebaceous filaments - you may be able to control those a bit with acid exfoliating and clay masks.

how old are you and what is your budget for skincare?

very generally speaking, you’ll want these products, but your age will determine whether you might want to incorporate others;

AM

- cleanser

- toner (optional)

- facial mist (optional) 

- serum (dependent on age)

- eye cream (dependent on age)

- moisturizer and SPF

PM

- cleanser

- acid exfoliation (strength will determine frequency of use)

- clay mask (1-2x week)

- serum

- facial oil

- moisturizer or beauty balm

brands like pixi and the ordinary have pretty cost effective items for most of these categories. If you’re under 30, you probably don’t need serum yet and it’s up to you if you think you need eye cream. If you’re on a budget, the steps that can easily be cut or simplified are toner and mist.

if you’d like specific product recommendations, please let me know age and budget.

I’m 21, full time college student so budget is pretty low

Try the Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% from The Ordinary - it helps with sebum control and balance, some people report it helping with the look of pores. Plus, I think it;s under $10!

@Nhitovo 

In this case, I would check out The Ordinary which is priced lower - in some cases, much lower - than other brands.

I'd also consider making your own face masks. I still make my own masks by mixing clay (which can help with oil) with floral waters, facial oils, essential oils, spices/herbs, tea and other natural ingredients. They're affordable, fantastic smelling, environmentally friendly and free of carcinogens etc. I've used some expensive masks and honestly, some of them are not much better in terms of performance than the home made stuff.

Spoiler
test

Has anyone here used both La Mer creme and Nivea creme? I have read a few reviews saying Nivea is a suitable substitute for La Mer. I have to say, La Mer has been working incredibly well for me. My skin has improved since using it, but of course I'm curious about Nivea since it has high reviews and is much much more cost effective. I am just nervous to use Nivea and regret it/undo all the good that La Mer has done. 

While I've never tried La Mer, I have used Nivea and it m...

While I've never tried La Mer, I have used Nivea and it made me break out. I have good skin, very few breakouts, and it took my skin almost a month to get past that mess. I like Nivea for my body (especially dry elbows), but that's about it.

Pro-tips on derma rolling vs crystal/jade rollers?

Comparing electrical devices like Foreo eye massager or the trusty manual tools. ❤️

I have a question that hopefully I can gain some insight into!

So I have combo skin that's extremely prone to breakouts, and I am currently using the Juice Blemish Serum after cleansing and before my moisturizer and it's been working well for me. 

However, I just ordered PC's BHA as I believe its a good thing to try and incorporate, but do I still use my Juice serum with it (as both contain Salicylic Acid)? And if so, what order would I apply them in then? 

Thanks so much in advance 🙂

@larissa39 Paula’s Choice BHA will be used before serum and after toner or you can skip the toner and just use BHA and follow with the serum. 

As of using two Silisylic acid product together, it depends on the strength of SA in your serum. If it isn’t too strong you can use them together otherwise you can use one of these products in the morning and other in the evening.  Maybe follow  BHA liquid with a hydrating serum and then sunscreen during the day time and use your Juice serum at night and see how your skin likes it.

Ahh good idea and makes sense! Thank you so much 🙂

6 Replies
testing