Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Nailed It
|

Show Me Your Nails 2.0

Due to some technical glitches with the original Show Me Your Nails Thread, I am starting a new thread with @vegchililover78's blessing (She says "hello," by the way!).

Please share your nail looks, nail art and manicures!

69F442B5-7FA6-41C9-B9F9-3C495B8E78CB_1_105_c.jpeg

...And don't forget to check out @Beadshopgirl's Nail Stamping Thread for stamping inspiration! ❤️  

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Nailed-It/The-Nail-Stamping-Thread/m-p/3328865

Re: Show Me Your Nails 2.0

I hope you can carve 🎃 out some time soon 

😜  @Mellmars1185  I couldn't resist lol

Congratulations, @Mellmars1185 ! 🥳  Looking forward to you modeling these! 🙂

@Titian06 Thank you very much! 🎃

@Mellmars1185, let the fun begin! 💅🏼 Enjoy your new treats! 

@itsfi Thank you!! I am excited!

@Mellmars1185 

Squee, congrats! I can't wait to see your results!! 🦇

@RGbrown Thank you!

Topper, Take 1:
OPI Is That a Spear topped with Nails Inc Glittering Greenwich Multi-Coloured Star TopperOPI Is That a Spear topped with Nails Inc Glittering Greenwich Multi-Coloured Star Topper
I picked up a handful of toppers from Nails, Inc. sometimes this year - or, at least, I *think* it was this year <gulp>, but had yet to try them. Some time late last week, I thought the deep teal shade of OPI Is That a Spear would make a great base for Nails Inc. Glittering in Greenwich Multi-Coloured Star Topper, a clear, thick-ish base with silver, green and blue stars. In the bottle, Glittering in Greenwich looks beautiful. It was a completely different story when it came to its application, wear and effect.  Where to begin?! Major difficulties getting the stars onto the nail, even on those rare instances when I was able to get a couple onto the brush itself. I ended up pouring some product into a bowl and using a pair of mini tweezers to pull out the stars and place them onto my nails. This worked out fine until I wen to apply the top coat from the polish - it was not a smooth application, not with the clear base and not with the final effect - the stars would clump together if I was not extremely careful and even then, it left a finish that was neither glossy nor matte. I even tried applying a different top coat and it did not make a difference, which I thought was very strange. Sadly, this topper is a no-go for me and I plan to re-home it (though I do feel a bad for giving someone else this topper since it's so fussy and difficult to use.

Topper, Take 2:
OPI Is That a Spear + Nails Inc Glittering in Greenwich Multi-Coloured Star Topper + Orly Kick Glass Top CoatOPI Is That a Spear + Nails Inc Glittering in Greenwich Multi-Coloured Star Topper + Orly Kick Glass Top Coat
I was determined to try to salvage my mani, particularly as I was fond of the teal shade, so the next morning I decided to layer another topper over my nails; this time with Orly Kick Glass Top Coat, which has a milky white base and multi-shaped flakies scattered about. The polish is described as producing a shattered-glass effect and was inspired by the National Football League's first female coach (Jen Welter was an assistant coach intern for the Arizona Cardinals for training camp and the 2015 preseason). I have mixed feelings about this one. It's fussier than I expected but compared to Nails Inc Glittering in Greenwich, this Orly topper was a breeze to use. That said, I like the effect this Orly top coat can provide and am up for trying it with a different base color at another time. 

Such a beautiful, sparkly and fun mani @itsfi! I am sorry that the toppers were a little bit of a pain to work with, but the results look gorgeous! 💙💙💙

@itsfi  The star topper is the best!!! And the teal is also gorgeous!!! 

Thank you!! The combination is a pretty one @ather, especialy since there are different colored stars in the topper. 🌟

@itsfi so much fun!

@CookieGirl1, thank you. A little more effort for these toppers but they do make for a fun look. 🙂

@itsfi I love the little stars 🌟.

@itsfi Beautiful base shade. I also have troubles with a star topper by Nails Inc. There are so many stars but it is really hard to get them on the brush! 

@Mellmars1185, IKR?! You'd think with all the stars in the bottle, you'd have the opposite problem. 😂 I've found it helpful to pour out the stars into a small dish and pick them up from there, with the brush or a pair of tweezers.

@itsfi 

Ugh, I hate fussy toppers 😣 The result is a fabulously sparkly starry mani, but I feel your pain!

If you don't have a glitter grabber topcoat, and don't want to use multiple layers of true topcoat, you can use a few layers of clear polish as a filler over the topper before adding topcoat. Another thing that can be helpful with particularly slippery toppers is to place the bits where you want them, then let them dry for a while before adding anything else on top, giving them a chance to set up where you placed them and reduce slippage. It's a PITA though, and like you, I'd just as soon avoid it!

@RGbrown, this is the fussiest topper I've used. I have 2 more from the brand and I'm a little nervous they'll need a lot of attention as well. But thanks to you and folks here, I have plan B, C, D... to address any fussiness. 😁 I'm pretty sure I have a glitter grabber top coat, though I may have lent it to a relative; will take a look into that. If not, time to pick up a glitter grabber top coat. Ha!

Sorry about all the pokey bits @itsfi I have no knowledge of topper troubles, there's alot of information in all the replies. I'm very intrigued as I read, amazing community knowledge 💙

I love the way the stars look on the teal, fyi. it's very magical evening.  

@CynthieLu, this is such a fabulous thread! Made so by all the folks here - beyond the great mani's that people share, folks are super encouraging and kind, and as you said, so knowledgeable and helpful. 

@itsfi  This looks great save for the snagging stars.   Is there any way to curl the stars before application?  Maybe stick a few in a plastic bag and give them a quick blast with a blow dryer to see if warmth will make them more pliable so you can give them the shape you want.  It works with lashes so maybe?  🤷‍♀️

Another option is to put a generous clear coat over the blue and press the stars into the clear coat as far as they’ll go before coating them 

20 Replies
testing