Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Makeup Is Life
|

Travelling with Makeup

Any frequent flyers have tips to share regarding packing makeup and skin care for Carry On Lugage? My husband and I are looking at a short trip to Vegas but only want to bring carry ons. Can I pack my foundation and things like that in a ziplock and bring it in the carry on, or would you get smaller travel containers to bring? I’ll be flying across the boarder ✈️ 🇨🇦 🇺🇸 ANY tips are super appreciated regarding traveling across the boarder as well ❤️

Re: Travelling with Makeup

@bakeamuffin You’ve already gotten good advice so far. The CATSA website is definitely helpful. I’ll add a few more things:

1) Make sure your clear, resealable bag has a max 1 litre capacity. Best option is to use the CATSA-provided bags at the airport. But don’t count on it exclusively, in case they run out. If you choose a bigger bag and fill it, and you run into a stickler, they’ll make you empty the excess contents, even if all your items are under 100 ml each. 

2) Certain things don’t count as creams or liquids: contact lenses contained in unopened blister-packs; makeup palettes or compacts that have a creamy formula (such as Stila highlighters or Kylie Cosmetics Wet Set); liquid gel pills, such as fast-acting Advil Liquigels. I have flown a LOT (I used to average 30+ flights per year until recently) and through chats with friendly security people I found out that I didn’t need to include these items in my tiny baggie, thereby freeing up room for more creams and gels 🙂

3) Don’t check palettes or compacts, ever. Checked luggage is processed through automated systems that involve a lot of hits and vibrations. I’ve successfully packed countless bottles of wine, cross-country and abroad. However, every time I’ve checked a compact, the product inside has always come out damaged in some way. Be sure to pack these in your purse and, if you can, slide them under the seat in front of you. Putting them in the overhead bin can expose them to the Joe and Jane Carryons who bring massive, above-limit suitcases and cram them into the bins as quickly as possible to avoid detection, crushing anything already in there. 

4) Leave your expensive/prized makeup and fragrance at home. Natasha Denona never travels with me. Instead, my favourite palettes to travel with are Urban Decay Naked 3 and Too Faced Just Peachy Velvet Mattes. Those are hardy little palettes that have taken many beatings in my purse and have come out completely unscathed. If they broke, replacing them wouldn’t be that big of a deal. Replacing a Natasha palette would really hurt the wallet, though. 

Safe and happy travels! 🙂

Thank you for taking the time to share @PinkEvergreen! Those are great and thoughtful ideas. I totally would have thought that they would be more safe in checked baggage, it’s good to know they’re not before I broke a bunch of expensive makeup 😁

You're better off leaving things in their original packaging for easy identification, unless they are over 100ml then many places sell travel containers. You get one 1L Ziploc bag which you can pick up at the airport . if all of your liquids don't fit you can see if your husband has any room, or you won't be able to bring them. But as long as all containers hold 100ml or less you should be good .

I always fly with my makeup/ skincare in my carry-on. Generally, travel sizes are you friends, and in the absence of them, little cases are your friends. 

I usually have a big clear bag (I use one that came with a Kiehl's set) and keep a little clear bag inside it. The smaller bag carries the few days worth of skincare, and prevents everything from getting all mixed together. 

You can definitely pack your foundation (all bottles 100ml or less is fine). But if it's only a few days, there's also the option of pumping a few uses worth into a small container (small jar or contact lens container for example), so that 1. it's smaller, and 2. you don't risk breaking the glass bottle. 

Have fun in Vegas 🙂

Thanks so much @clemon! ☺️

@bakeamuffin My understanding was that your items needed to be in a clear bag for carry on, not necessarily in clear containers. My last domestic flight (within Canada) confiscated my ziploc bag (not full, but too large) but I had to fit everything in one of their smaller clear bags. 

Ive had some very picky experiences and other times when they checked everything quickly and there were no issues. I also like to travel with foil sample packs so I can use the,m and toss them while I'm travelling. 

Oh right, foil samples!! I should save my favourite ones for the trip! Thanks so much @lachaton 😊

I travel heavily and have really tested TSA’s protocol for both domestic and international flights (I’m in the US and have flown international to international). Btw, I only fly with carry ons-I never check in any bags. 

I can say from experience that TSA is not as diligent/strict as they portray. 

I have carried (2) 1.7 oz cream foundations and other liquids (eg shampoo, conditioner, body wash, face wash, etc) in my carry on bags without disclosing. 

To be completely honest, I feel like anything goes. The only thing you CANNOT get away with is having any one container be more than the 3.4oz policy. Even if the container has less than 3.4 ounces of product, if the potentially capacity is equal or more than 3.4, there’s a 99% chance you’ll be stopped. 

Thanks so much @pinyo! That’s great to know! I’ll be causous if the sizes of my products 

Your containers have to be be less than 100 mL each. That means even if you have < 100 mL in a 150 mL container, that is not OK. I've had things confiscated that way in my early travel days.

I have never had an issue with things having to be in clear containers. That means mascara, hand lotion, concealer, contacts solution even in opaque containers is OK. As long as everything fits into the 1L clear ziplock bag you're allowed, and is not a prohibited item, there is no problem. 

AFAIK there is no difference between traveling domestically or to the US for these, I've been flying ~4-6 times a year since I was 20 and the only time I've ever had something confiscated was when I had some hair gel that was half full in a 120 mL container, and I was searched once when they thought I was trying to bring a corkscrew on the flight but it was actually the outer metal decoration of a brush wrap in my carry on. 

To be honest, I find that on the Canadian side especially, they've become more slack. I've left things like small purse sized hand cream, lubricating eye drops and other small things that are obviously liquid in my purse and not in the clear zip lock, and have not encountered an issue. Of course to be safe I wouldn't recommend taking the chance.

Sounds like it's time for a Vegas thread! 😈🎲🍸🃏🍣🎰👯🍕

Sounds like it's time for a Vegas thread! 😈🎲🍸🃏🍣🎰👯🍕

@bakeamuffin everything has to be in clear containers if...

@bakeamuffin everything has to be in clear containers if its carry on

Re: @bakeamuffin everything has to be in clear containers if...

Good thing I’ve asked for a million foundation samples 😂😅 Does this mean no mascara, liner, eyeshadow,

etc. @GG84?!

No of course not!!!!! LOL @bakeamuffin I highly recommend...

No of course not!!!!! LOL @bakeamuffin I highly recommend checking out triple w dot catsa.gc.ca and search for carry on or checked?

Re: No of course not!!!!! LOL @bakeamuffin I highly recommend...

I was being lazy but that site is actually really simple and helpful!

RE: Travelling with Makeup

In the USA the travel size limit for liquids is 3.4 ounces /100 ml so most makeup shouldn’t be an issue for makeup things like your foundation will probably be an ounce. Of course, If you don’t have minis of like skin care or shower stuff that you’ll want to transfer to a smaller container. I’ve flown a few times this year (once abroad) doing carry on and while I generally put things like shampoo/conditioner, deodorant and skin care in the clear plastic bag I’ve traveled every time with my make up in my normal makeup carrying case and I never experienced an issue. Hope you have a fun trip!!

Re: RE: Travelling with Makeup

That is so helpful, thank you @Kim888

Conversation Stats
  • 17 replies
  • 38 Hearts Given
  • 10 Contributors
testing