Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Makeup Is Life
|

The Offical Anti-Haul Thread

By this point most of us have watched an anti-haul video (or a hundred) but I don't see a current anti-haul thread on the BIC and I think it could be fun to start a running "anti-consumerism" thread for a bit of a change. For those that aren't familiar with the term an anti-haul is listing off things you are NOT going to be adding to your cart for whatever reason that may be. Rather it's because you simply don't like the look of that new palette release or if you've been eyeing something for a while and are itching to buy it but you really know that you don't need it (or that you really shouldn't be buying it). I'm starting a no buy this month and I know many people are on a low/no buy so why not have some fun with our budgeting by dragging some products, helping talk ourselves out of the new product releases or old cult classic favorites that you "just had to try" by raving why we are not going to buy it! This is also the spot to voice why you simply aren't inspired by a product even if everyone else is rushing to add it to their cart. So, don't beat around the bush and share your anti-haul products 🙂

Some Ground "Rules":

1. This is the place to be open and honest, don't tip-toe around the point because you think you might hurt some peoples feelings that enjoy a certain product. If you have strong opinions, let them out! (Example: The packaging is hideous and the product is overhyped!)
  2. Tell us why you are not interested in the product get as specific (or not) as you'd like but please do let us know why you aren't going to buy it. You may be helping someone else be talked out of a product as well 🙂 (Example: I already own 25 other lipsticks in a strikingly similar shade of mauve)
  3. If someone is anti-hauling and dragging a product you like, do not get offended. How boring would the world be if we all wanted/liked/bought the exact same things? Not everyone has the same taste, what is ugly to someone is gorgeous to someone else.
  4. Products are inanimate objects, please do not argue over disagreeing about products. The products feelings will not be hurt if it is anti-hauled or dragged by another BIC-er online and I'm sure plenty of people will go buy it. Not every product is for everyone, if you want to purchase a product go ahead and don't let anyone here stop you. Let's not argue about something as trivial as disagreements about makeup packaging, perfume scents or eyeshadow colors. It isn't worth it and we are all better than that. 
  5. Use this place as your soap box outlet and have lots of fun doing it! 🙂

Additional anti-consumerism support and threads:

2022 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD 

2021 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD 

Monthly Misses: January 2022 

Monthly Misses: December 2021 

samantha-march-anti-haul.jpeg

Tags:

Re: The Offical Anti-Haul Thread

@MvLL There's a select few that peak my interest but unfortunately her product lineup just didn't do it for me.

@Margalee Definitely some awesome anti-hauls there. I feel you with perfumes, I already have a "must have" wish list for some I don't own and I really need to stay away from picking up more before I use some up. I currently have 3 scents/perfumes or sprays on my project pan this year. I'm skipping the Chanel craze (for now), their skin care stuff is usually far too perfume scented for my skin preferences as it is. 🙂 

Anti-Haul Winter 2022: Too Faced Better Than Sex Eau de Parfum 
2f_sku_136042_1000x1000_2.jpeg

All The Details:
Spoiler
When I first heard about this dropping, I was intrigued... the notes sound quite lovely (taken from Fragrantica site: Top notes are Passionfruit, Citruses, Peach and Litchi; middle notes are Jasmine, Rose, Orchid and Magnolia; base notes are Musk, Patchouli, Amber, Sandalwood and Cedar). The bottle is also gorgeous (with one major flaw) but I absolutely adore the floral/girly aspect of this... it's right up my alley. However, this perfume only comes in a 3.3 fl oz size... this is quite strange for a "first time perfume" drop for a brand. I would like to sample this before I buy it, but to me... 3.3/3.4 fl oz bottles are strictly reserved for perfumes that I deeply love and I know will get used up within a few years. I have such a vast perfume collection that it's truly hard for me to go through everything... I'd get this in a 1 fl oz to sample and blind buy (maybe) but in a 3.3 fl oz?! That seems almost like breaking some sort of fundamental rule and what for? A cute floral bottle to sit on my perfume shelf? Kind of absurd when you put it that way. Furthermore, there isn't even a rollerball size? I'm sorry I'm simply perplexed at the fact Too Faced is forcing their fans/consumers to blindly purchase a gigantic bottle. Even if I loved this scent I would not make my first purchase of it to be in this gigantic size. I know not many people vibe with Too Faced these days, but they have a special place in my heart. They were one of the first brands teenage make-up obsessed me reached for many, many years ago. However, I'm not buying this and I have strong feelings about it. 

Carrying on, I understand why Too Faced called this product Better Than Sex. Inevitably they wanted cross-clicks from the popular cult-classic mascara when you typed in "better than sex" into a search engine, well played... however, did we really have to plaster this on this gorgeous bottle? Something about this feminine floral beautiful bottle having "BETTER THAN SEX" sprawled in it in big large letters definitely takes away from the aesthetic of this creation. Was this at all necessary? No... Most perfumes do not have the name of the individual fragrance sprawled on the front obnoxiously. Especially not perfumes that have beautiful bottle which stand out (like this one does), for example Carolina Herrera Good Girl doesn't have "GOOD GIRL" written anywhere on the gorgeous shoe-perfume bottle because it doesn't have to. Everyone knows exactly what perfume that is based on that stunning stiletto bottle design. I think Too Faced definitely dropped the ball with the execution of this. I certainly will not be purchasing this and I already have so many perfumes I love or that I know I enjoy on my wish list. Hard pass on this one, I don't even care how good it smells. 

200w (1).gif

Note to Self: No, just no...

Well-stated, @QueenMarceline. When I first saw this tf release, the first thoughts were: 'try-hard cash grab' and, how gauche. The overly large font for its label is just so sad. While the frilly btl is nice enough, I suspect that most of the production-cost was spent on it, not the ingredients. Wonder what the Margins are for mass market perfumes?

@MvLL Lol, likely something absolutely ridiculous (the margins). Offering this only in a 3.3 fl oz speaks for itself, to me it screams "even we don't believe in this product" from TF's end.

Anti-Haul Winter 2022: Anything & Everything Valentine's Day Release Related
518826CB-A12F-4144-A7A3-3EABA13EAF2A.jpeg

All The Details:

Spoiler
Honestly, not very many releases have caught my eye when it comes to Valentine's Day and there's almost an overwhelming amount of product releases. I don't remember this type of influx of products during heart-season in years previous but maybe I'm just spacing out here. I must say, I've eye'd down a couple of products in their cutesy packaging... they caught my attention, but only very few. The packaging from the Kylie release is exceptionally cute and tempting to me, because cherries 🍒... (put a cherry on something and I'll buy it 99/100 times). BUT, I have yet to buy any of these releases and I've officially started my no buy (yayyyy, it's February 1st 😁) so it's likely I'll be skipping all of the Valentine's Day 2022 releases. And, I'm honestly kind of okay with that. I'm very happy I stayed strong in resisting Kylie's cherries packaging because I really am not sure if I want to purchase from this brand at all anymore in general. 

1d6932ef6d191505cfcec872e3645131.gif

Note to Self: Good job resisting the cherry urge.

@QueenMarceline Kylie Cosmetics and Lime Crime are two brands that I've sworn never to buy, as I just don't want to support these brands so this collection is an easy pass for me too even though the heart-shaped cheek sticks look cute. I'm sure other brands will come out with equally cute Valentine's products this year or next so I don't feel like I'm missing out anyway 🙂

@Guessgal , @QueenMarceline Right there with you on saying No to.LC and Kyle (who?). and J*. The stupid & vulgar tactics in their marketing, etc. are irritating.  As for Heart Season- I should like to direct your attention to the sublime-yet-accessible chocoluv Raspberry, and Cherry tablets. It's top-shelf quality, according to this chocolate-snob.

@MvLL I haven’t bought anything from J* either, but haven’t been intentionally avoiding the brand. I’ve seen videos where people collect his star mirrors in all these different colours and I guess I don’t see the appeal. I mean, the products are very recognizable so, good on him for making something on brand that’s unique to him, but the style just doesn’t suit me. I think in recent years, he’s grown as a person (judging from the few Snaps and YT videos I watch of his), but people will still associate him with scandals.

@MvLL J* is a brand I've never purchased from just based on him rubbing me the wrong way. I could probably anti-haul it sometime in the future but it didn't even come to mind based on me never even thinking about that brand when it comes to cosmetics. My friend was a huge fan of his before all the scandals and used to buy the releases from time to time so I've gotten to swatch a couple. Honestly... I was not impressed with his highlighters and the eyeshadow palettes were okay at best. 

@Guessgal I've been considering ditching Kylie Cosmetics for a while now, she makes my favorite red lippie but happily have not made a purchase in over a year. I haven't owned any LimeCrime in what seems like a decade, then again it's hard to keep up so it very well be. This year, I'm skipping all Valentine's Day releases all together. 🙂

Anti-Haul Winter 2022Fenty Beauty Diamond Bomb All Over Diamond Veil (How Many Carats?)

fenty-beauty-by-rihanna-diamond-bomb-how-many-carats-gloss-bomb-universal-luminizer-diamond-milk-review-swatches.jpeg

All The Details:

Spoiler
When this first dropped, I somehow avoided buying it despite really wanting to try it out. I was recently browsing my loves list and doing some housekeeping and I really still felt the urge of "I need this" even though I know I shouldn't. My friend bought this within the first month or so of it launching and she's warned me it shattered on her a few months later and that she had to replace hers. This seems to be a common theme for many users of this product as well, so it's not just "my clumsy friend". I know this product is overly sensitive to any dinks and that I'd never be able to travel with it. So, I really wanted to understand why I wanted this. I have fair skin and I gravitate towards white-pinky-golden highlighters and this seemed like it would be stunning during the winter when my skin is at it's fairest (the reason I wanted this). I reminded myself that I already own the discontinued BECCA Pearl highlighter and that I literally liked it so much that I bought a back-up when I find out Becca would be no more. I still love that Becca highlighter and I've barely even made a dent in it despite using it quite often. Yesterday, I actually went to a Sephora in person because I desperately needed another laneige gloss since I lost mine and I had the chance of testing this in person for the first time. Honestly... I'm utterly unimpressed... sadly. I was kind of hoping I could justify still day-dreaming about owning it one day but this is a highly chunky highlight (in my opinion). Especially when compared to BECCA's Pearl... this is extremely glittery and chunky. I can't see how I could ever make this work for me during a casual look or a professional setting without looking way too overwhelming and out of place with my usual looks for casual/professional settings. On top of that, it costs more than what I paid for the "top of the line" BECCA highlighters which was $38 while the Fenty highlighter costs $40. I have come to a realization that I wanted to own this because it looks amazing on my friend and also I love Rihanna. The product doesn't match any of the things I need a highlighter to do in order to work for me... and I am not Rihanna or my friend, therefore I can't rock this highlighter on a Thursday afternoon like they can. 😂

Note to Self: Acceptance of your shortcomings is the first step. 😂  

@QueenMarceline Stila had a similar product that I actually liked more. It was bigger and smoother rather than just a glitter sheen. Ofra Glazed Donut would probably be really similar to Pearl with a little more intensity if that's something you were looking for. 

@makeitup305 oooh, I haven't gotten anything from OFRA in a while and I haven't tried their highlighters but did get a tiny sample of their highlighter once that I ended up using as more of a shadow due to it's size that I loved. Once I'm off my no-buy I'm going full "blast from the past" with my purchases, I think. MAC, OFRA, maybe even some BareMinerals? I'm really missing the old classic more and more these days. 

@QueenMarceline MAC Doublegleam is awesome too! My low buy is going terribly but hang strong!!

@makeitup305 I was on a "low buy" that went terribly, so starting Feb 1st (today) it's a no buy kind of month. 😂

Same @QueenMarceline. I'm giving myself a pass if it's with Ulta points but otherwise, no. I picked up the Chanel quad bc FOMO but hopefully I can hold out from purchasing anything until the Sephora Spring sale. So far, nothing appeals to much so maybe I won't be too tempted.

@makeitup305 That's actually what I'm thinking too, I hope the next beauty related haul I make will be at the Sephora VIB Sale.

It's one of those 'see it from Space' hiliters- mega hard pass. I briefly considered 'Wattabrat' (candy pink) when it was at a reduced price last year, but after seeing Temptalia's post, I knew it was not for me. Compact is cute, but one does not wear that. It's a slog to hit-pan on highliters, with ~ 7gm of product. 

@MvLL Yeah, it's just way too much for me 😕 unfortunate but a realistic way of looking at it. Honestly not much can compare to BECCA's formula for me but Jouer comes pretty close and I'm pretty happy with them as a dupe. I still have a bunch of BECCA highlighters so it's safe to say I'll be stocked for a while... come to think of it, I might need to anti-haul highlighters all together (at least for the time being). 

123 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos20
  • samantha-march-anti-haul.jpeg
  • Clinique-Cheek-Pop™-HighlighterLimited-Edition-2022-Tiger-Banner-2.png
  • Screen Shot 2022-01-27 at 11.52.02 PM.png
  • HairSupport_Mobile_1080x.jpeg
  • 4117d0ed2c0ca066b5e8bb4842ad14e0-brex-310_800x.jpeg
  • ariana.jpeg
  • hot-to-get-away-with-murder-htgawm.gif
  • fenty-beauty-by-rihanna-diamond-bomb-how-many-carats-gloss-bomb-universal-luminizer-diamond-milk-review-swatches.jpeg
  • 518826CB-A12F-4144-A7A3-3EABA13EAF2A.jpeg
  • 1d6932ef6d191505cfcec872e3645131.gif
  • 2f_sku_136042_1000x1000_2.jpeg
  • 200w (1).gif
  • maxresdefault.jpeg
  • giphy-8-1500566248.gif
  • 16495720248765044087983390655973.jpg
testing