Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Makeup Is Life
|

The Offical Anti-Haul Thread

By this point most of us have watched an anti-haul video (or a hundred) but I don't see a current anti-haul thread on the BIC and I think it could be fun to start a running "anti-consumerism" thread for a bit of a change. For those that aren't familiar with the term an anti-haul is listing off things you are NOT going to be adding to your cart for whatever reason that may be. Rather it's because you simply don't like the look of that new palette release or if you've been eyeing something for a while and are itching to buy it but you really know that you don't need it (or that you really shouldn't be buying it). I'm starting a no buy this month and I know many people are on a low/no buy so why not have some fun with our budgeting by dragging some products, helping talk ourselves out of the new product releases or old cult classic favorites that you "just had to try" by raving why we are not going to buy it! This is also the spot to voice why you simply aren't inspired by a product even if everyone else is rushing to add it to their cart. So, don't beat around the bush and share your anti-haul products 🙂

Some Ground "Rules":

1. This is the place to be open and honest, don't tip-toe around the point because you think you might hurt some peoples feelings that enjoy a certain product. If you have strong opinions, let them out! (Example: The packaging is hideous and the product is overhyped!)
  2. Tell us why you are not interested in the product get as specific (or not) as you'd like but please do let us know why you aren't going to buy it. You may be helping someone else be talked out of a product as well 🙂 (Example: I already own 25 other lipsticks in a strikingly similar shade of mauve)
  3. If someone is anti-hauling and dragging a product you like, do not get offended. How boring would the world be if we all wanted/liked/bought the exact same things? Not everyone has the same taste, what is ugly to someone is gorgeous to someone else.
  4. Products are inanimate objects, please do not argue over disagreeing about products. The products feelings will not be hurt if it is anti-hauled or dragged by another BIC-er online and I'm sure plenty of people will go buy it. Not every product is for everyone, if you want to purchase a product go ahead and don't let anyone here stop you. Let's not argue about something as trivial as disagreements about makeup packaging, perfume scents or eyeshadow colors. It isn't worth it and we are all better than that. 
  5. Use this place as your soap box outlet and have lots of fun doing it! 🙂

Additional anti-consumerism support and threads:

2022 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD 

2021 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD 

Monthly Misses: January 2022 

Monthly Misses: December 2021 

samantha-march-anti-haul.jpeg

Tags:

Re: The Offical Anti-Haul Thread

Highlighters, artfully-embossed ones especially, are so tempting! A tactic to help with a No/Low buy: snap a photo of your current stash nicely arranged on a pretty cloth or doilly. Plus self-portraits wearing your collex. Refer back to Photo(s) when a new Shiney catches your eye. 

@QueenMarceline cool thread! I think first on my list would be the new CT matte cream shadows. All the reviews I've seen have been terrible. Her new foundation also seems to be getting mixed reviews, so it's a pass for me for now.  Another skip is the ND Mini Crush. As much as I love ND, I can't do any more pink. Same with the CP Valentine's collection. I love the heart-shaped blushes and that packaging but I have all of PMG's blushes, plus a ton of Hourglass, so skip. I love greens but the UD Wild Greens is a skip. How can you call something "wild" and then have that color story. I know neutrals sell the most but it's just a miss for me. 

@makeitup305 I totally agree about skipping Mini Crush; initially I thought it was cute but 4 out of the 5 shades are from pre-existing palettes (which I think is kind of pathetic) and I just don't need it.  And ditto on the UD palette?  "Wild Greens"?  Where?  😂

@CookieGirl1 Are they really 4/5 shades repackaged?! (If so, that is extremely pathetic).

@makeitup305 Thanks so much 🙂 Wow! I love those inclusions of an anti-haul. Honestly, I've been seeing so many Valentine's Day releases and is this like... a new "thing"? I feel like in the past I've never seen so many brands do this many Valentines Day themed, heart-shaped, red-lipstick, punchy-blush, repackaged in red/pink jars type of thing. It's literally everywhere. Some of the releases caught my eye (the darn Gucci lipstick lol) but... I think I need to anti-haul it based on pure principle. 😂

@QueenMarceline I have wondered about what people "wont" be buying.  Right now there isn't anything I'm strongly opposed to, but I'm definitely getting tired of all the celeb brands.

@greeneyedgirl107 Personally, I agree... I feel like I was annoyed with celebrity collaborations back in 2016/2017 and now it's turned over to full blown celebrity brands. I think I'm starting to miss the collabs now 😂I really try to steer clear of most celebrity brands. Not going to lie, I have been tempted by Fenty but I think for a while now I've deliberately avoided it due to it's celeb attachment. It's hard to tell sometimes especially with celebrities so well loved like Rihanna rather the hype of the product(s) is real of if the audience is already inclined to be buying because they love Rihanna and therefore, put on rose colored glasses in their reviews. It's become very difficult with PR as well to discern what opinions are actually real and what is backed by a some sort of incentive behind it for the creator. Although, now that Fenty was acquired by ULTA I think I'll probably play around at my local store and get to see for myself 🙂 

@makeitup305 I also fully agree with you about Selena and Rare Beauty, it seems to be doing well and I really have my eye on two products in particular that I want to try out. I think her more "natural vibe" instilled in her beauty is helping her makeup sell and be more appealing to current trends and consumer needs. It's honestly why it's caught my attention 🙂 Definitely won't be anti-hauling rare beauty but the other celeb brands can go 😜

@QueenMarceline I agree that I miss the collabs compared to how it is now.  I just saw on TV that Rihanna is now a billionaire.  I just can't give my money to celebs that are that rich.  The wealth of many celebs is just insane these days.  

@greeneyedgirl107 You bring up a super good point there. It's kind of the reason why I'm considering anti-hauling Kylie's brand all together. This is a celebrity who's values I don't align with at all yet I've contributed to making her the uber success she is, admittedly, by buying plenty of lip kits in the past. If I like a product but the action of buying it makes me feel sorta crumby... is it worth the buy? I suppose I need to figure that out but you bring up a very valid point.

@QueenMarceline It's definitely muddy waters about making purchase decisions.  I kind of just ignore all celeb brands, so I haven't had to run into issues about "how much do I really want this," and "do I want to give them my money?"  The only line that has ever piqued my interest was VB, but I haven't made a purchase.  There are so many players out there, that I feel like I can get something equivalent without supporting a celeb.  However, with the market being so saturated IDK that will continue to be the case.

I tried to boycott L'Oreal for many, many years.  I even researched what brands they owned - and the trouble was that they owned so many.  I only made an exception for Maybelline mascara, which is a brand they own (or at least they did for a while - who can keep up?).  I finally gave in when I wanted to buy some Redken.  Whenever I check in on their holdings, they just keep growing and growing.  It's kind of frustrating b/c I felt like my boycott was essentially worthless.  

@greeneyedgirl107 I've been in a similar boat with boycotting and cruelty-free makeup. Even when a company is cruelty free, they're likely owned by a parent company that isn't. It all became too much to keep up with, to be honest. I used to have a beauty instagram back in the day (before instagram was very cool) and I remember getting so much flack for accidentally buying a product that did not test on animals but was owned by a company that was not cruelty free (pretty sure it was L'oreal, lol!). Then there are countries that require animal testing by law and if a brand wants to sell there they have to test the makeup. I ended up accidentally buying non-cruelty free makeup a lot so I just did away with trying to be so strict about it. I like mostly CF brands, so why stress out if I purchase a couple items from brands that aren't CF? In reality, as sad as it sounds I don't really think I did much to make sales go down overall with those brands I didn't buy from for a few years. They seem to all still be thriving, lol. So I completely understand your sentiment and frustration. 

@QueenMarceline I avoided Fenty for the same reason ... But eventually I did give in to the gloss bombs,, and then it went on and on

@lmaster I've actually been eyeing her highlighter the most and I finally got a chance to try it out at my Sephora on Saturday... it's not for me. My friend owns it and I swear every time she has it on I love it but I just don't think it will work well for me, a bit too glittery. My friend also warned me that she replaced hers because it shattered. Who knows, maybe I'll find another Fenty product to dream about in the future but I actually just anti-hauled the highlighter based on me playing around with it in store.

@Margalee That's the same reason why I'm going to pass. I actually anti-hauled one of her highlighters as well 🙂

@greeneyedgirl107  Same.... over the celebrity brands 🙄

@greeneyedgirl107 I'm over them, too. They all seem so dull, even Gaga's, which is a feat in itself. I do think Rare Beauty is doing well and has it's audience pretty well pegged but I wonder if it's going to go the way of Fenty and fall by the wayside in a couple of years. I'm also over influencer brands for the most part. Never say never, but never for now on most of them.

@makeitup305 Has Fenty gotten less popular?  I don't follow it, but I'm curious to know how it's been doing.

@greeneyedgirl107 & @makeitup305  I don't think it has (Yeah, I am biased).  Still has a solid social media base.  The foundation isn't one of the top-selling items here like it used to be, but it is still in best sellers.  And now it's going to be sold at Ulta.

Conversation Stats
Photos20
  • samantha-march-anti-haul.jpeg
  • Clinique-Cheek-Pop™-HighlighterLimited-Edition-2022-Tiger-Banner-2.png
  • Screen Shot 2022-01-27 at 11.52.02 PM.png
  • HairSupport_Mobile_1080x.jpeg
  • 4117d0ed2c0ca066b5e8bb4842ad14e0-brex-310_800x.jpeg
  • ariana.jpeg
  • hot-to-get-away-with-murder-htgawm.gif
  • fenty-beauty-by-rihanna-diamond-bomb-how-many-carats-gloss-bomb-universal-luminizer-diamond-milk-review-swatches.jpeg
  • 518826CB-A12F-4144-A7A3-3EABA13EAF2A.jpeg
  • 1d6932ef6d191505cfcec872e3645131.gif
  • 2f_sku_136042_1000x1000_2.jpeg
  • 200w (1).gif
  • maxresdefault.jpeg
  • giphy-8-1500566248.gif
  • 16495720248765044087983390655973.jpg
testing