Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Makeup Is Life
|

Noob

I have NO IDEA what I’m doing. I am in my mid 30’s. My teenage years were monotone (concealer and eyeliner), and now I’m at a job that I can’t wear daily makeup. I’d like to focus on overall skin health because of this, but need to actually have quality essentials when I do need makeup (like dates and such). I still have acne prone skin. I rarely wear makeup. I do not moisturize. I cleanse mornings and evenings. Occasionally I will use a toner. Any suggestions for a noob like me?

Re: Noob

First, hydrate and use a skincare routine that includes moisturizing! Try the Tatcha Water Cream, since you have acne-prone skin. You could also try an 'essence' which is kind of a cross between a toner and a lotion. I recommend using The Inkey List Niacinamide Oil Control Serum under that. And, use daily SPF. There are many great products our there. Personally, I like all things from Coola and many products by Supergoop!.

Overall: Bobbi Brown is a very accessible brand for you to try. Yes, it's mildly pricey, but it is the best. Plus, the BBPros on Instagram are always posting makeup videos. I also like Hannah Martin on Youtube.

Eyes: I recommend Bobbi Brown Long-Wear Eye Shadow Sticks or the similar Laura Mercier ones. LM has more colors, but BB is more 'natural.' The only makeup I use every day of my life is mascara... the best is L'Oreal Lash Paradise. I've used Dior, Urban Decay, Nars... the L'Oreal has the superior coverage and applicator.

Lips: I like the Bobbi Brown Crushed Lip Color. They start off faint and then build with additional coats. The Fresh lip colors are similarly buildable but the texture (for me) comes off on cups and doesn't last as long. But, they had a nicer sheen than the BB. Or, my go-to for years were the Neutrogena SPF Tinted Lip Balms. The colors are natural.

Glowing skin is definitely important... it takes you from a matte concealer look to a fresh one. I use the Bobbi Brown Shimmer Brick every day. Once I started, I kept getting compliments on my skin. It's not as dark as a bronzer nor as shiny as a highlight. You can use it all over or just as a blusher and eye shadow. 

These minimalist products might be what you're looking for.

I also started focusing more on my skincare routine, and I rarely wear makeup. 

On a daily basis - Every morning and evening I cleanse my skin with KIEHL'S SINCE 1851 - Ultra Facial Cleanser. In the evenings, I apply Kiehl's Since 1851 Midnight Recovery Concentrate Moisturizing Face Oil 1 oz/ 30 ml followed by Tatcha The Water Cream Oil-Free Pore Minimizing Moisturizer 1.7 oz / 50 mL. In the mornings, I apply TATCHA - The Silk Peony Melting Eye Cream to brighten and hydrate around my eyes. I also use KIEHL'S SINCE 1851 - Powerful-Strength Line-Reducing Concentrate 12.5% Vitamin C followed by Peter Thomas Roth Water Drench Hyaluronic Acid Moisturizer 1.7 oz/ 50 mL. Whenever I go outside, I apply IT Cosmetics CC+ Cream Illumination with SPF 50+ Medium to even my skin tone and provide SPF protection.

On a weekly basis - I use Kiehl's Since 1851 Rare Earth Deep Pore Minimizing Cleansing Clay Mask 4.2 oz/ 125 mL and Biore pore strips. I typically wear makeup on the weekends or for special occasions, and when I do, I always use Tatcha The Camellia Oil 2-in-1 Makeup Remover & Cleanser 5.1 oz/ 150 mL to remove my makeup before cleansing. I was nervous to put "oil" on my skin over makeup, but this product is like a magnet and makeup literally melts off. 

Overall to start, I would recommend Kiehl's Since 1851 Midnight Recovery Concentrate Moisturizing Face Oil 1 oz/ 30 ml and Peter Thomas Roth Water Drench Hyaluronic Acid Moisturizer 1.7 oz/ 50 mL as these products made the biggest difference in my skin. I also recommend trying the travel/mini sizes until you find the products that are best for your skin type.

RE: Noob

I been there, girl. First off, start adulting and wear sunscreen. 🙂 You’ll thank me in 20 years. Go browse Supergoop!, and see what you can see yourself putting on. And remember, you must reapply!! Sunscreen in moisturizer and makeup wears off before the rest of the product; Defense Refresh is their spray for face; I keep in my purse and just spritz before lunch and again before clearing out at the end of the day. If you want to have a mini makeup wardrobe, you might want to avoid foundation, go with a tinted moisturizer and conservative use of concealer. Setting powder in your shade for your face, a shade lighter for your under eyes. Alternatively, consider a powder foundation. Laura Mercier, NARS, and Too Faced are good brands to start with for these. Blush? I think Dandelion from Benefit and Orgasm from NARS are both universally flattering. Bronzers intimidated me, but that’s because I’m pale, and there were not good shades until recently. Use it in the recommended “3” pattern, and you’ll avoid that one dimensional look. Fenty, Benefit, and Marc Jacobs cover all price points. So that’s face. Eyes? Get a brow gel; they are all fine, it’s a matter of how much you want to spend. Mascara is optional, in my opinion. Maybelline is still killing it for a reason. Shadow? Get the Natural Eyes or Peaches and Cream palette from Too Faced. They have a color story you can work with right out the gate. Don’t try liner just yet. Lips? Stick to sheer balms or gloss, mattes are for children and pros. Go to YouTube, watch, and learn. Have fun, don’t sweat it. Good luck!

What's your skin type, @DollieDoodles? And what cleanser are you currently using?

RE: Re: Noob

I’m trying the Glow Blueberry Bounce.

I’m guessing here: oily. I don’t have dry skin. My pores are visible, especially on nose and chin.

You might want to try a light water-based or gel moisturizer. It has helped my combination and acne-prone skin tremendously.

@DollieDoodles 
Do you wear sunscreen? If you don’t want to moisturize, at the very least I would apply sunscreen. There are a lot of options! SUPERGOOP! - Superscreen Daily Moisturizer Broad Spectrum SPF 40 PA+++ daily moisturizer with sunscreen, SUPERGOOP! - Mattescreen Sunscreen SPF 40 matte sunscreen so your face isnt shiny - lots of options. 

As for basics, you could do a tinted moisturizer such as NARS Pure Radiant Tinted Moisturizer Broad Spectrum SPF 30 St. Moritz Laura Mercier Translucent Loose Setting Powder Translucent a setting powder, some blush NARS - Blush mascara Charlotte Tilbury Legendary Lashes Volume 2 Mascara Black Vinyl Vol 2 and lipstick or lipgloss whatever you feel more comfortable with. 

8 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 8 Hearts Given
  • 7 Contributors
testing