cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Makeup Is Life
|

Empties - V2

Seeing product empties is so satisfying 🙂

Post your weekly, monthly, quarterly, whenever-ly empties and let us know how you felt about them!

Product-Empties-September-2016-1.jpg

Previous Empties thread:

Spoiler

Re: Empties - V2

@heartsmyface Your post made me realize that I tagged the wrong product, so I corrected it in my original post. I never remember the name of the DDG that I use, it is Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare Advanced Retinol + Ferulic Triple Correction Eye Serum 0.5 oz/ 15 mL .  I think one thing that threw me was the package change.  I wonder if that means they changed the formula.  Tagging a couple BICers that might know @GG84 @WinglessOne b/c I think they use this one as well.

@greeneyedgirl107  DDG added bakuchiol and removed urea. For my skin, that's kind of a bummer trade. (Urea's a good humectant.) I know DDG shuffled various other ingredients around (probably to reflect % changes) on the INCI list, and maybe they removed another ingredient or 2—but the bakuchiol addition is what caught my attention. Not to totally knock bakuchiol: it's reportedly a great anti-aging and skin-soothing antioxidant source that can help skin better tolerate retinol. I'm not a regular bakuchiol user so I don't know yet if my skin likes or hates it. But this DDG eye serum is one of those great products I wish hadn't fallen victim to the "clean beauty" fad. Eh, if it still works as well as the "dirty" version, great! But I'm glad I still have some DS vials of the "dirty" version (for travel purposes). 

Hearing @GG84 and @heartsmyface talk about the smell makes me more reluctant to try this new version. 😄 The primary reason I won't touch any Tata Harper is the stench of samples I've tried. Skincare shouldn't make me nauseous. 

@WinglessOne Thanks for your insight.  It's getting to the point where I'm concerned that any and all of my products could be re-formulated due to this clean movement.  I personally don't get the fascination with it.

@greeneyedgirl107  Eh, consumers' fascination seems based mostly on fear of "bad" and "harmful" ingredients that haven't even been scientifically proven dangerous, or were labeled dangerous based on 1 or 2 very flawed studies. Apparently many consumers are afraid "dirty" beauty isn't safe. Brands are just capitalizing on that fear because hey, more money is more money, right? DDG is supposed to be science-based, according to the way the brand founder touts clinical study results. So yeah, it's disappointing to see this particular brand jump on the "clean" bandwagon for a cash grab. 

Mini rant, because I can't help myself: 

Spoiler
I wish this much concern—from both consumers and brands—was put on, say, sustainability or environmental friendliness, or fair trade ingredient sourcing efforts, etc. Things that actually matter. I don't care that Brand X's serum doesn't contain [allegedly bad "dirty" ingredient]. I care that Brand X doesn't contribute to the exploitation of rainforests and/or the people who gather/supply/create certain ingredients/materials during the process of making that serum. I'll care about a "dirty" skincare ingredient's omission from products in general when said ingredient's been truly proven dangerous in the context of topical application to skin (not injected or fed to rats or rabbits, since that's not how a topical serum's meant to be used 🙄), per a well-done study. Preferably multiple studies. 

I'm getting closer to actively avoiding "clean" beauty brands. I feel partly responsible for continuing this misguided trend by buying a few of these brands' products. "Clean" beauty products aren't all terrible. Some are very good performers! I just wish "clean" wasn't the main marketing focus. I usually ignore the "clean" label when shopping because it's 100% meaningless in terms of product efficacy. So of course I end up with "clean" products in my collection. When I recommend them to friends and family, I always feel obligated to say "don't focus so much on 'clean,' that's not at all why I use this product... it could contain parabens and still be a rockstar—possibly a better preserved one, at that." 

Sometimes reformulations aren't bad, so try not to give up on a reformulated product unless you see a problem for your skin in the new INCI list. (Or unless, you know, the product now stinks like rotten dandelions and burnt plastic.) I wish all brands would offer DS/foils of reformulated things so we could try before buying. 

@WinglessOne I totally agree with you!  And I like your idea of brands allowing us to try DS or foils before making a purchase.  I feel like there should be some sort of a clause that if you've been a loyal customer of a product for quite some time and it's reformulated, that you should at least get a free sample once it's changed!

@greeneyedgirl107 

Ugh they did. I hate it now, all the DDG products that are “clean” smell like rotting garbage. I’ve moved most of my skincare to Skinceuticals now. 

@GG84 Thanks for weighing in.  That is such a shame!!!  Good thing I bought my bottle a while back and use so little of it that it will last for some time.  Best of luck with the Skinceuticals!

@GG84   Ha, i thought it smelled like acid and plastic but as long as it works i’m fairly happy to put most anything on.  😄

@heartsmyface ya I could see that, it doesn’t smell nearly as bad as Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare Advanced Retinol + Ferulic Texture Renewal Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL i nearly yaked and my bf would not go near me. I tried to layer it with moisturizers etc alas it was no use. It was then I decided Dennis and I needed to break up. 

@GG84   Wow that’s bad if it’s husband repellent

🤣 I have imagery!  

Get it off I smell like garbage!!!   

21ACCB82-B063-4A75-96EB-52E150AAF969.gif

Lmao that’s pretty much exactly what it was like 😂

Oh great job!! @greeneyedgirl107 

@lmaster Thanks!  I feel like such a BIC big shot that I saved empties, took a pic and posted it!  I rarely post pics 🙂

October empties 51 YTD total 510

IMG_20211029_105312251.jpg

I loved all 3 of these candles

IMG_20211029_105346872.jpg

Surprisingly I was not thrilled with the scent of the chocolate lava,, will not repurchase 😔

IMG_20211101_095549454.jpg

Love this candle so so much!! And the mascaras are excellent

IMG_20211101_095823196.jpg

 love sheet masks!!

IMG_20211101_095902108.jpg

 these 4 were not as impressive as I remembered them being in the past

IMG_20211105_090807428.jpg

These are all loves, I would repurchase the apple body wash but Ulta doesn't have it at the moment 🙄 I wish the PT would consider a repackage on the body oil,,,I think the glass is beautiful, but I want to be able to open it to get the last drops out. Maison Margiela 'REPLICA' By the Fireplace is a great fall favorite and Mugler Angel Nova Eau de Parfum I purchased a travel size already

IMG_20211105_090907611.jpg

 these were ok, more of a scent preference. The peppermint soap is decent, I'm not super fond of the SDJ cream it's good in small doses. The isle of paradise hyglo I feel is more of a body hydrator and not so much a sunless tanner, I didn't get dark enough tan with using this by itself. Maison Margiela ’REPLICA’ Flower Market Travel Spray 0.34oz/10mL Eau de Toilette Travel Spray is ok, not one I would buy though

Amazing work, @lmaster!! 

Thank you lovely!! 🥰 @haleyvvvv 

@lmaster I agree with you--I didn't like the Chocolate Lava candle either but I LOVE Hot Cocoa and Cream.  Great job on the Empties!

@CookieGirl1 so strange to not love a scent labeled chocolate lava cake 😂 thank you!!

@lmaster Wow great work!!

Thank you sweets!! @Samtian 

@lmaster nice progress! Sorry to hear the SDJ scent was a little too strong for your liking. I am planning to try that one next after I finish my jar of the original.

Isn’t it interesting when you go back and try a mask you once loved, only to find yourself wondering why? I’ve had that happen, too. Makes me wonder if it was just in my stash too long, or I was ‘over-exuberiantly’ masking in the past 😄

10,745 Replies
testing