Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Insiders
|

sample and rewards programs

Can someone explain to me why Sephora keeps trying to tempt me with rewards and GWPs that are just packets that oftentimes don't even cover my face once? Also, Everytime I choose samples from a poor selection of packet options, I NEVER get the ones I chose. Ulta, Birchbox, Beautylish, Blue Mercury and Luckyscent ALL have better free stuff to send with my orders. I have 750 Sephora pts and rarely see anything worth redeeming them on. When I do, it's always sold out in a day. So, Sephora.....no more packets, please! I've worked for numerous cosmetics companies in my life, and customers will oftentimes pass on offers of cheap sample packets. Today's consumer, IMO, realizes how pointless they are. As soon as I find something worth redeeming my points, I'm going to start ordering from product's branded sites, or the sites above. I buy at least $60 a month from Sephora and am sick of the b.s. rewards and never getting the samples chosen. Now, they've even cut the samples from 3 to 2. C'mon! Will giving out that 3rd sample bankrupt Sephora? Lol. Birchbox gives you $$ to spend in their shop the more you purchase. I've gotten lots of full size products this way. Sephora rests on its laurels.

Re: sample and rewards programs

@Rockin70s  

Researching customer trends/insights/habits/etc. was a big part of my career, but I didn’t work in the beauty industry. So now I’m genuinely curious about what customers generally think of samples and GWP. It’d be interesting to see market research or usability testing done by Sephora, Ulta, or any other beauty retailer—not that they’d openly share that info with the public 😂 but still. If you happen upon some third party market research/insight info, let me know! I’m seriously interested. 

I assume some customers are like me: I like to test things before committing to full size products. I like the little foil samples of makeup for that. And since I patch test most skincare before putting it all over my face, the little skincare foils work just fine for me. I can usually get a at least a week of patch testing out of a skincare foil. Back to makeup: I’m not crazy about foundation samples because I don’t wear foundation, so I don’t usually choose those. But sometimes I’ll take new-to-me concealer foil sample, mostly for shade testing. Also, the foils are good for travel. I collect foils of my favorite sunscreens to pack for trips. Saves me lots of room in my quart sized plastic bag (for flights). I understand you don’t like foil samples. I’m just explaining how some other folks, like me, find them useful. 

I’m not super fond of Ulta’s samples these days, and I don’t chase all their GWP bags full of foils and deluxe samples I don’t need. I’ve taken advantage of Sephora promo codes to get some great deluxe samples, though. As for the rewards bazaar, I usually bank points to redeem for the $100 Rouge Reward. But if something else in the bazaar catches my eye, I’ll spend points on it. That doesn’t happen often since the things I really want tend to disappear quickly, and I still refuse to treat bazaar items like holiday doorbusters (except for the rouge reward). I usually find better-for-me samples via Sephora’s promo codes than in the bazaar. 

Also: ever since Sephora dropped the number free foil samples with each order from 3 to 2, I’ve gotten my chosen samples more often. So I’m willing to trade fewer samples for better availability of them. 🙂 Now if Sephora would just work on getting each warehouse to pack items better... 

Hi @Rockin70s, I suggest if you’re not in a hurry to get your items that you wait until there’s a worthwhile GWP and samples that you want before placing an order.  I’ve actually been quite impressed with some of the GWPs that I’ve gotten from Sephora - some really good deluxe sample sized products!  The samples are hit and miss though.  Since moving to 2 samples vs 3, I’ve received more of my choices so I prefer getting 2 (of things I choose!) rather than picking 3 but getting things that I wouldn’t ever use.

@Rockin70s 

I don’t mean to offend...I’ve never had a problem with using a sample meant for my face and not having enough to cover my face. I have an average size face I would say. 

Reality is, we are not owed anything from Sephora for shopping with them - these are perks. 

I spend quite a bit more money then you and am more then satisfied. 

I'm tickled for you that you have nothing but positive experiences, but I don't believe you didn't "mean to offend". You imply that my face is too big by stating yours "is of average size". and you shade me by sharing that you spend "much more" than I do a month. I said I spend AT LEAST $60 a month. Sometimes the order is much larger. Sephora hypes their reward program to me through emails on a daily basis. The stated program explicitly states if I buy a certain amount, I get some reward in return. Therefore they DO owe me something, as that's the way their sales structure is set up.....to encourage consumers to continually buy from them. I didn't know Sephora had super fans, such as yourself,  who get offended when someone criticizes the business! Perhaps you are an employee? At least just be out about being catty, whomever you are. BTW, you spelled "then" wrong....

@Rockin70s Not an employee, I honestly didn’t mean to offend you as I said. I have no issue at all with the size of the samples received, as stated. They are samples. 

Hi! I also have not had any problems with the packet samples.  The only ones that are really small are the foundation ones, but those are just meant to kinda do a color match at home and see if it is the finish you like on your skin.  I have fine, not very thick hair and the foil packets for hair products last me a few days.  I think the reason people shop a lot at certain places like sephora vs ultra is convince and the feel of the store.  I like how the sephora store is laid out and there is one close to my house.  Also for me it is a bonus to have a sales person in the store who knows about multiple brands so I can get a variety of good choices rather than walking up to a single makeup counter at Nordstrom (but don't get me wrong I love Nordstrom! Especially considering some of the brands are not carried by Sephora).  

Also, I think the reference for how much you spend has to do with we can see you status as a beauty insider next to your screen name, you are VIB meaning you spend between $300 and $1000 per year, and as Rouge I spend over $1000, but to completely honest a lot of Rouge have already spent that at this point in the year.  

6 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 11 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
testing