Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Insiders
|

The Question Thread 2.0!!

Have a question about a setting spray, foundation, concealer color, or an eyeshadow palette?? Look no further than here! Post your questions here about anything and everything makeup, skin, and hair related. Our community is great about helping out gals and guys in need of an answer. Don't be shy - ask away :).

skincare 101 thread - https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Skincare-101-Discussions-Questions-and-All/m-p/27192...

Makeup 101 thread - https://community.sephora.com/t5/Makeup-Is-Life/Makeup-101-Discussion-Questions-and-All/m-p/2784774

The Hair thread - https://community.sephora.com/t5/Best-Hair-Ever/THE-HAIR-THREAD/m-p/2768486#M6666

Re: I just discovered a new tinted balm I'm in love with! Tar...

@bonjourcupcake oh yes agree - the tarte ones are really lovely!

Re: I just discovered a new tinted balm I'm in love with! Tar...

@Kim888 do they have any taste/scent? 

Re: The Question Thread 2.0!!

Has anyone tried FoxyBae straighteners? My dinosaur of a straightener died a couple weeks ago, I found this one on clearance for $32 at TJX so I grabbed it to try but haven't used it yet.

Screen Shot 2019-11-12 at 8.20.48 PM.png

My hair used to be wavy/curly (2B/2A ish) but is more straight/wavy (borderline to barely a 2A) and doesn't dry with much of any defined curl. I curl with a wand, my straightener is only used for straightening. I was going to replace mine with a T3 single pass luxe but would love to save my ulta points if FoxyBae has good reviews. Would love to hear thoughts if anyone has tried this. Thanks!

Oh, hi!  I'll probably end up cross posting later on tonight to get as many answers/suggestions as humanly possible.  I have dry skin -like desert dry skin- and it's already snowed where I live so winter is definitely upon me.  Every year, I get the worst eczema flare up on my hands and it's already started.  I have tried virtually everything, from the extra rich avon hand creams my mother would put in my stocking to dermatologist recommended cortasteroid creams.

But.  I've found if I overmoisturize before the cracking and the bleeding starts, I can prolong the livelihood of my hands just a little bit.  

What is everyone's favorite hand cream?   Bonus points if you can give me unscented options where I work at Starbucks and nobody wants a peppermint latte infused with the scent of yummy lemons.  

@Nickelliebear1 I'm not sure if you can still find it, but I used to work in kitchens and used Prevex cream after I washed my hands to help prevent the cracking/bleeding.  It was even food safe and available at Walmart/Shoppers/Rexall etc. If you can still find it somewhere, grab it!!!  

IMG_4612.PNG

@Nickelliebear1

Aveda hand relief 

@Nickelliebear1  My favorites are L'OCCITANE - Hand Creams the original shea and the extra rich version. I would try the extra rich version, it’s a little bit greasier but still absorbs in a reasonable amount of time.

Skinfix Eczema+ Hand Repair Cream 3 oz/ 89 mLis a great unscented option @Nickelliebear1 . I don't have eczema so I can't chime in on that, but I am super dry and also live in a wintery climate (it's snowing!) and am a nurse and wash my hands 84304284 a day when I'm at work which is hard on them. I recently finished up a FS of the skin fix + from a  gratis last year. It does leave a bit of a greasy residue, but I'm so dry that it seems to go away quickly and doesn't bother me. I also like to put oil on my hands before bed and when I get up, I can't attest to oil with eczema but I use whatever hydrating oil I have laying around for my face. 

I've been told by a well respected dermatologist that Clarins Double Serum does absolutely nothing for the skin, and that I'm basically wasting my money (she said this a bit more nicely than what I'm saying here). I've used the serum for over a year, and I don't really see any results to be honest other than it helps a bit with dryness (a tiny bit). I read that the main ingredient is basically mineral oil so if that's true then the dermatologist was right. Does anyone have any recommendations? I have an oily serum (Ferulic acid and Resveratol) that I put on after the Double Serum so I'm not really in the market for an oil - plus I have quite a few oils to choose from already. Just really looking for something that will help hydrate and help with anti-aging. I bought the Farmacy vitamin C serum, but am a bit afraid to use it since I had a bad reaction to another C that I used from the Ordinary. I know it's like comparing apples to oranges, but the Ordinary C really messed up my skin for a week so I'd like to avoid that again.

@niki172 

Just for basic hydration, I'd recommend something like FAB Hydrating Serum. It's got HA for hydration, plus peptides (building blocks to help your skin keep regenerating...a little boost to the anti-aging process). Also consider adding retinol if you aren't using it already...it's the best-researched anti-aging powerhouse out there. 

Thank you @RGbrown . I spot treat with retinol because I was under the impression that you're not suppose to mix Vit C with retinol. I have a sample of FAB's dry oil, but not their serum. Each time I've tried HA I've had a weird reaction like texturization to my skin. Maybe I'm trying a couple of crummy formulas is all maybe.

@niki172 

You can absolutely use retinol and C together! I do so nightly with no issues. 

If you want a non-HA hydrating serum to try as well, I really liked Mario Badescu Herbal Hydrating Serum (I think I got the name right...it's close, at least lol). It's not a brand I turn to for much of anything, but I was sufficiently impressed with that product to recommend it 😊 But I do think FAB is a better overall formulation; the addition of peptides is a great thing, so I'd definitely say to give it a shot if you feel up to trying another one!

@RGbrown thanks I'll try that out!

RE: The Question Thread 2.0!!

Ok so I got two samples with my online purchases (one was Giorgio Armani luminous silk foundation) and second was too faced born this way and I got to say I fell in love with both of them ... but was so disappointed when I read the ingredients-to find out they both contain alcohol and not the good fatty alcohol ugh ! Can anyone relate ? I’ve been using Estée Lauder double wear for about two years now and it doesn’t contain alcohol which is why I also like it but I’ve been wanting to change it up and try something else . Any recommendations on a good flawless medium to full coverage foundation ? And of course ALCOHOL FREE 🙂

Are you avoiding alcohol because it is drying? Just curio...

Are you avoiding alcohol because it is drying? Just curious! Side note (if that was your concern) my skin is desert dry and Luminous Silk is one of my top 5 all time favorite foundations.

RE: Are you avoiding alcohol because it is drying? Just curio...

I try to avoid it because alcohol makes our skin age faster 😖... I’m no skin expert but I did my research lol And that foundation does have a beautiful finish I wish I would of never looked at the ingredients 😭

Re: RE: The Question Thread 2.0!!

If you're looking for a natural, non alcohol based foundation, I recommend the bareMinerals Original Loose Powder Mineral Foundation SPF 15 Fair Ivory 02. It's a natural, non alcohol based product that has buildable coverage. It's my  favorite foundation for a natural, no makeup look. <333

@ixgz 

ANYTIME I try to find a foundation to replace Estee Double Wear I fail. For different reasons then you, I just want the exact shade I use in Estee (1C1) in any other long wear foundation that DOESN'T contain SPF (flashback city). 

*Sigh* Estee for life I guess. 

NIOD has a product called Photography Fluid and it is supposed to combat the problem of flashback due to foundation. I've never tried it myself, but if you are not trying some great foundations because of flashback, it could be something that may interest you.

Does anyone here get the Omorovicza Thermal Cleansing Balm from Cult Beauty? I loved that stuff when it first came to Sephora, but it was reformulated and I didn't like the new version. Well I was looking at it on Cult Beauty and the ingredients list matches the original formula that I loved (I had posted the ingredients list in the Q&A, which I can still see in my profile) I was hoping someone could just confirm the ingredients the next time they buy from Cult Beauty. I'm curious to know if there are actually 2 formulas out there. 

Spoiler
These are the ingredients on Cult Beauty
Screen Shot 2019-09-27 at 8.11.06 PM.png

RE: The Question Thread 2.0!!

I’m trying to choose a foundation. It’s down to two: Pat McGrath’s new one, or Laura Mercier’s Lumiére Perfection. Which has better medium coverage, and which has a natural or radiant finish? Both names imply a radiant or natural finish, but reviewers (especially the Mercier ones) describe it as ‘light matte.’ Can anyone share their experience with either or both of these?
testing