Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Insiders
|

The Question Thread 2.0!!

Have a question about a setting spray, foundation, concealer color, or an eyeshadow palette?? Look no further than here! Post your questions here about anything and everything makeup, skin, and hair related. Our community is great about helping out gals and guys in need of an answer. Don't be shy - ask away :).

skincare 101 thread - https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Skincare-101-Discussions-Questions-and-All/m-p/27192...

Makeup 101 thread - https://community.sephora.com/t5/Makeup-Is-Life/Makeup-101-Discussion-Questions-and-All/m-p/2784774

The Hair thread - https://community.sephora.com/t5/Best-Hair-Ever/THE-HAIR-THREAD/m-p/2768486#M6666

Re: The Question Thread 2.0!!

Hello! This is my first post!! I have a lot of transfer of my make up onto my face mask during the day to the point where it doesn’t seem as if I put any on.  

My skin is oily, with visible pores around my nose.  I use gently skin cleanser, fat water and spf before my primer; which I switched to Benefit cosmetics pore blurring primer as well as setting spray. I then use the Nars soft Matt foundation, a little of Nars concealer, followed by vigorous application of Benefit cosmetics setting spray.  Can anyone provide any additional information.  

I am fairly new to make up, at the suggestion of a Sephora employee I stopped using the Fenty Beauty setting powder. 

#fentyskin #oilyskin #newtomakeup

@Tchelle84 Honestly... With wearing a mask properly so that it leaves a seal around your face.  This is going to wear makeup away through the day.  Personally... I live with it... but the other suggestion I have is to switch to an N95 style mask that doesn't sit right up against your face other than around the edges. Hopefully others will have some great make up suggestions for you.

@missjeanie  Thank you for your suggestion.  I will say I do wear N95 masks daily, but it may be the amount of talking that I do that may add to getting the make up all on my masks 🤦🏽‍♀️

I have so many questions lol. I’ve been doing my makeup for 5 years now and I still don’t feel very confident. Of the billions of questions I have I’ll start with 4:

1) What’s the difference between matte finish and dewy finish of makeup?

2) Is there a specific order that I should be applying my makeup?

3) Why is my makeup so cakey no matter what I do to fix it? Does my skincare have to do with that? 

4) How do I know if I’m using the right skincare products for my skin?

Long post but I’ve been so clueless! I appreciate any answers y’all might have!

@beautynewru7 , welcome!

1) Ditto to previous posts.  It's the finish that differs.

2) There's no hard rule, you kind of figure

out what's logical for yourself.  I do my skincare first, eyebrows second, eye make up third and then the rest of my face.  I find it easier that way, but there are times I'll switch it up depending on products I'm using.  Skincare is always first.

3) Ditto again.  Also, less is more.  I used to apply the exact amount of foundation everywhere.  Apply it where you need, then build up.  My forehead needs no foundation, so I usually use a touch there and focus my efforts on my jaw line and areas of discoloration.  Also, if you're using powder, setting spray after helps meld the look together and look less cakey.

4) That can vary wildly.  Definitely what @WinglessOne said.  Generally I find of my skin looks like I can skip makeup, then it's better, but that's how I view that.  Skin should look hydrated and happy, and you kind of have to figure out what your skin needs vs environmental factors, hormonal factors, aging, etc.

1) different level of shine in the makeup product

2) definitely start by first cleansing your face. 

3) Yes it does. Figure out how you treat that skin before you figure out which foundation works best and sometimes, there are really really horrible products and you just need to stop wearing that kind of makeup forever!

4) ... Idk how to answer that!

Hi @beautynewru7 ! You're in the right place for answers! I'm sure others will also chime in, but: 

1) What’s the difference between matte finish and dewy finish of makeup? 

You know how a matte paint finish looks compared to a glossy paint finish? Matte vs. dewy makeup is a similar comparison. “Matte makeup” usually means a no-shine finish that’s sometimes described as velvety. “Dewy makeup” is that radiant glowing finish. Some folks go ultra-dewy for a very shiny "glass skin" look. You might also see/hear of a "natural radiant finish," which is generally a natural glow: not very shiny/dewy but also not matte. 

2) Is there a specific order that I should be applying my makeup?

The order is completely up to you. Some folks say you must apply eye makeup before anything else. Others say you must apply foundation first. But really, it depends on 1) which makeup items you use (example: some folks, like me, dont do full coverage or cream/liquid foundation) and 2) what order of application works best for you. 

3) Why is my makeup so cakey no matter what I do to fix it? Does my skincare have to do with that? 

Yep, your skincare can make or break the texture of your makeup. Could also be due to other things. But if, for instance, your foundation looks dry and patchy, you might need to better hydrate and/or moisturize your skin as part of your skincare routine. What's your current routine (brands + product names)? And what's your skin type/behavior? 

4) How do I know if I’m using the right skincare products for my skin?

Do you have specific skincare goals, or skin issues you want to address? If your skincare products are doing what you want them to do for your skin, then they’re probably right for you. If it seems a skincare product’s causing a bad reaction (burning, excessive stinging, itching, a sudden red rash, painfully dry and peeling skin, etc.), then it’s wrong for you and you should stop using it. If you consistently use a skincare product for 2+ months and don’t get the results you’re after, then that product might not be right for you. 

And hey, no worries about having lots of questions. Skincare in particular can be very overwhelming, what with all the choices and overpromising brand marketing. I didn't have a firm handle on skincare until my 40s, after 20 years of using bad-for-me products. 🤦‍♀️  We all go through trial and error with beauty products. BIC is a good place to ask for help! 

Reviving this thread for a quick this vs that question. I've been using the Sunday Riley A+ High-Dose Retinol Serum and haven't had any issues at all with it. I was looking to change it to another one, just to try something different and was looking at Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare Advanced Retinol + Ferulic Texture Renewal Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL and the Paula's Choice CLINICAL 1% Retinol Treatment 1 oz/ 30 mL . Thoughts on any of these? I'm having trouble finding the concentration of the SR and the DDG. Help @itsfi @WinglessOne I'm also open to other retinol formulations, I've only tried the Inkey List one besides the SR

@makeitup305  I haven’t used any of those 3 products, but I’ve used vitamin A derivatives for around 4 years. I used to regularly use the old version of Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare Advanced Retinol + Ferulic Triple Correction Eye Serum 0.5 oz/ 15 mL under my eyes, and sometimes on my whole face. I haven’t tried the reformulated version though, which is a bit different from the full face serum you tagged. 

Reading each product’s INCI list, these things jump out at me (let's see if I can get a table to work on BIC today): 

Sunday Riley A+Paula's Choice Clinical 1% RetinolDDG Advanced Retinol + Ferulic Serum
Vitamin A Derivative

6.5% retinoid complex is mostly HPR, but retinol's also present (don't know how much, though) 

1% retinolUnknown % retinol; also contains bakuchiol and rambutan leaf which aren't vitamin A but may have similar effects
Hydrators & MoisturizersDimethicone, glycerin, honey, hyaluronic acid, algae, prickly pear, shea butter, phospholipids, sunflower seed oil Dimethicone, glycerin, ceramide NG, peptides, hyaluronic acid, shea butterglycerin, squalane, phospholipids, sodium PCA, hyaluronic acid, 3 AHAs (I don't know if the product's pH is low enough for AHAs to exfoliate) 
Strengtheners & Anti-AgingCoQ10, vitamin EVitamin C (oil-soluble derivative), peptides, vitamin E, soyFerulic acid, linoleic acid, CoQ10, 
SoothersGinger + bisabolol, yeast + prickly pear Licorice roots, oats, burdock root, willow bark, allantoin, soyWillow bark, salicylic acid, panthenol, mulberry bark, adenosine

Which product you choose depends on what your particular skin needs most. My skin's mostly-dry combo and very inflammation-prone so, among those 3 products, I'd choose the Paula's Choice retinol for myself. But if I focus just on dry or dehydrated skin, I might choose the Sunday Riley even though my skin's fickle about honey extract. Also, I still wish DDG would disclose the % of retinol and chemical exfoliants in their products. 🙄 

The vitamin A product I currently use each night is Avene RetrinAL 0.1 Intensive Cream. It's a 0.1% retinaldehyde product that plays very nice with my skin and has proven itself effective with gradual use: I've been using it for, gosh, I wanna say a year now, and it's definitely lifting my large areas of hyperpigmentation. My dermatologist recommended it to me back when he and I discussed the possibility of tretinoin and decided that'd be too harsh on my skin. I have used The INKEY List Retinol Anti-Aging Serum 2 oz/ 60 mL before—in fact, I still use it 1-3 nights a week under my eyes and on my neck. (I don't use my retinaldehyde on those parts of my face and neck.) 

Whichever product you choose, I hope you have good results! 

@WinglessOne Thanks so much for such a thorough breakdown, you are seriously the best! The table was incredibly helpful. I might keep going with the Sunday Riley since it’s worked so well for me (no peeling, excessive dryness, or redness) . I agree with you in that brands should disclose the amount of actives, it would be much easier to compare formulas and make an informed decision.

@makeitup305  Glad I could help! Yep, might as well stick with what's working for you for a while longer. 🙂 I understand the urge to try something different, though. I bounced around 4 different retinol products—5, if I count the old DDG Ferulic + Retinol Eye Serum as an occasional full-face serum—before landing on my current retinaldehyde, and I'm sticking with it since it's giving me the results I'm after. 

Whenever I list (or table) ingredients like that, I have to remind myself that INCI lists don't tell us everything about a product, let alone how effective it is. Still, they can give a high level idea of what to expect in terms of potential results or bad reactions—and with my face's temper tantrums over certain things, I can't help but be ingredients-driven when choosing products. 😄 That retinol serum is probably the only Sunday Riley product (eh, aside from the brand's sulfur treatment) I could safely use on my face. 

@WinglessOne I tried their Vitamin C and Good Genes serums as well and also liked them. My skin is usually not very sensitive, though. The only issues I seem to have are glycolic and salicylic acid. For some reason, I tend to get at least one or two breakouts when using those, but not other AHA, BHA or PHAs.

@makeitup305, I need to remember this thread more; it’s very helpful. Bookmarking it now. ✔️ 

I’m so sorry, I won’t be much help - my skin does not tolerate retinols at all. 😔 My recollection is that @WinglessOne has experience and I’m sure she’ll be able to provide some valuable insight. 

I ordered a PMG lipstick recently and it came looking a little discoloured...is this normal? The top part is really nicely pigmented but when I push it out of the tube, the bottom part is very ashy looking. The shade is called Omi.

20201105_112652.jpg

Hi @sp1771,

That is totally fine. Each shade is enmeshed in a powder film combined with saturated pigment for lightweight opaque coverage. I hope this helps! 

Best Wishes,

Janean

That's good to know, thanks @JaneanBT!

Drunk Elephant C-Tango™ Vitamin C Eye Cream 0.5 oz/ 15 mL or OLEHENRIKSEN Banana Bright Eye Crème ?

Thoughts on Pureology Hydrate Sheer Shampoo for Fine, Dry, Color-Treated Hair 9 fl oz/ 266 mL  and Pureology Hydrate Conditioner for Dry, Color-Treated Hair 9 fl oz/ 266 mL ? I recently found a liter of each at Marshall’s (getting rid of the old packaging I assume) and I just tried it and meh? I don’t see what all the positive reviews are about.

@makeitup305 It looks like in your text you mentioned two products, but in the pics at the bottom there are three.  Are you asking about the Hydrate shampoo or the Hydrate Sheer shampoo?  I've been using the Hydrate shampoo for years, and really like it.  When I had started using it, my hair was feeling spongy after shampooing and was on the dry side.  It got rid of the spongy-ness, and made my hair feel softer.  It just felt so much more natural, if that makes any sense.

I haven't used the Hydrate Conditioner in years and years.  A salon I used to go to used it, and I remember liking it.  I was actually thinking of picking some up recently, but based on your input now I'm not so sure if I should.

610 Replies
testing