Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Insiders
|

The Question Thread 2.0!!

Have a question about a setting spray, foundation, concealer color, or an eyeshadow palette?? Look no further than here! Post your questions here about anything and everything makeup, skin, and hair related. Our community is great about helping out gals and guys in need of an answer. Don't be shy - ask away :).

skincare 101 thread - https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Skincare-101-Discussions-Questions-and-All/m-p/27192...

Makeup 101 thread - https://community.sephora.com/t5/Makeup-Is-Life/Makeup-101-Discussion-Questions-and-All/m-p/2784774

The Hair thread - https://community.sephora.com/t5/Best-Hair-Ever/THE-HAIR-THREAD/m-p/2768486#M6666

Re: The Question Thread 2.0!!!

@blueviolet21  This is just a thought, but when I tried Burberry's Dark Earthy blush, I thought about what a good bronzer it would make.

@blueviolet21 Sorry the lighting isn't great, hotel bathr...

@blueviolet21 Sorry the lighting isn't great, hotel bathrooms aren't good for pictures. But since I have my bronzer with me, I did some swatches. Bottom swatch is with a light hand, top swatch is with a heavier hand.

Re: @blueviolet21 Sorry the lighting isn't great, hotel bathr...

That is lovely and so helpful, thank you so much @Kay522! It looks perfect 🙂 Hope you're having a good trip wherever you are 🙂

I have very fair skin, though with neutral to cool undertones. My holy grail bronzer is Cover FX Bronzer in Sunkissed. It's a matte bronzer, and I feel like I've never had an issue with it looking too dark or orangey, or like I have dirt on my face even if I go in with a heavier hand.

Thank you so much @Kay522, I was actually super curious about that one! But for whatever reason they don't carry that product in my local store and it was hard to find swatches online. I will feel much better now about possibly ordering sight unseen 🙂

RE: Re: The Question Thread 2.0!!!

IMO I wouldn't recommend Benefit Hoola because it's like straight up orange.

@blueviolet21 Benefit Hoola is a good bronzer for fair to light skin tones. I also like Chocolate Soleil which is Too Faced.  

@blueviolet21 If you're looking for all over bronzey glow, you may also want to check out The Body Shop's  Honey Bronze Shimmer Waves in Bronze.  I use this every day in the summer and I ❤️ It so much!  

You can use the colors as eyeshadows, highlighters or blush individually, but I swirl them all together and apply them as an all over bronzer (tip of nose, forehead, chin, tops of cheeks) with a fluffy brush.

Plus - It appears to be 50% off on The Body Shop!

IMG_0938.JPG

@blueviolet21 Oh, in that case definitely go for Too Faced over Hoola. Hoola is a bit cooler and works well for contouring, while Too Faced will give you the warmth you need without looking orange. 

For bronzer! I'd use something taupe-y if I were contouring. Honestly I'm too lazy for contouring most of the time. It sounds like I should check out Hoola then. Thanks for the rec @Tamara76 @alexasteph

@blueviolet21. I second @alexasteph's recommendation of Hoola - They also make a Hoola Lite now.

Question:  Are you using it for contouring or for overall bronzing? 

RE: Re: The Question Thread 2.0!!!

You can try Kevyn Aucoin Sculpting Powder in Light. The swatch might not impress you but once it fuses with your skin, it's truly magic.

I've recently purchased two water-based foundations and I seem to keep having the same problem with both of them. They slip and slide everywhere. It's like they never set, even with powder on top. If anything touches my face it leaves clear gouges in the foundation (or the foundation disappears completely). I also cannot get them to stay on my nose for the life of me. Am I doing something wrong? Or do water-foundations just not get along with my skin? -__-

P.S. I typically put a water-based primer underneath, or nothing at all (just my usual moisturizer and sunscreen).

@ElleElleG I try to let me sunscreen sink in for about 10 to 15 minutes before applying anything else. I'll have to see if I've got a mattifying primer sample to try, I've got dry skin so the majority of my products are hydrating/moisturizing. Maybe that's the issue? I guess I will need to play around with them a bit more. 😞

Thanks for the tip @ElleElleG! I'm not busy today so I'll give that a try and see if it makes any difference. 🙂

@Asche do you have a translucent setting powder?  Give this a try: sunscreen --> primer --> set your primer with a light dusting of the translucent powder.  Let it set for several minutes then try applying your foundation on top.  

Not sure how much time you have when you get ready/if this is something you would want to do each time you wear this foundation though.

@Asche I wonder if the water-based primer is fighting with the water-based foundations?

Hmmm @Asche perhaps try a primer that is more tacky in texture?  I have oily skin so I apply a mattifying primer on top of my sunscreen.  I have also had success with the Josie Maran Skin finishing balm around my nose when that area is dry to prevent skipping in my foundation application.

How long after you apply your sunscreen do you then apply primer/foundation?

@ElleElleG I guess it's possible, but I have this problem regardless of whether or not I use primer. Maybe it's the sunscreen? I'll try it tomorrow without sunscreen and see if that makes any difference. 

Am I losing my mind or is the first page of chatter on the threads now the oldest posts for some of them? Did I dream I saw a way to change that? Not even joking. I have super weird dreams sometimes 😂

Does anyone know if they have an allergy/if their skin gets really irritated after using skincare products that contain grape/grapefruit/grape seed? I've found that I break out a bit and get red spots (not necessarily pimples, more like some kind of allergic reaction- skin looks kinda splotchy).

After having trouble with a Neutrogena grapefruit face wash and most Caudalie products, I now actively look at skincare ingredients to see if they have some form of grape in them.

I want to try the Juice Beauty Green Apple Peel Full Strength (the one in the VIBR gwp), but it has grape seed oil in it. Should I steer clear? Has anybody else found that their skin doesn't get along with grape products?

4 Replies
testing