Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Insiders
|

The Question Thread 2.0!!

Have a question about a setting spray, foundation, concealer color, or an eyeshadow palette?? Look no further than here! Post your questions here about anything and everything makeup, skin, and hair related. Our community is great about helping out gals and guys in need of an answer. Don't be shy - ask away :).

skincare 101 thread - https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Skincare-101-Discussions-Questions-and-All/m-p/27192...

Makeup 101 thread - https://community.sephora.com/t5/Makeup-Is-Life/Makeup-101-Discussion-Questions-and-All/m-p/2784774

The Hair thread - https://community.sephora.com/t5/Best-Hair-Ever/THE-HAIR-THREAD/m-p/2768486#M6666

Re: The Question Thread 2.0!!!

@alexasteph  If you were interested in Lipstick Queen's Chess lipstick series, they are on sale today at Ulta for $14!

@Ispend2much6 I saw that! I think they'll be on sale for the duration of 21 Days of Beauty so I might pick one up if there is a Beauty Steal I'm interested in. Thanks for the reminder! 

This is a gorgeous color on you @alexasteph!

@Mcakes Aw thanks 😊

@alexasteph  You're right, it stays rosy!  Your skin tone might be the same as mine also. 

I have been searching for a great nude.  I have some that are close; they are more brownish than anything.  But, I had one from Smashbox from about 9 years ago that was discontinued, and it had just enough pink in it to be perfect.

Yes, I did get the HOF pink lipstick.  It's a little bright for me to wear plain, but wearing it with clear gloss or as a stain works really well, color-wise.  I was so happy about that because if it's the right tone, fuchsia is a good color for me.  You are a treasure of info, lady!

@Ispend2much6 Of course! Happy to help. Good luck on your hunt for the perfect shades. It's really exciting when you finally find a great color. 

@Ispend2much6 are you in the U.S.? I have the Kiss Kiss from that promo and I'd be happy to send it to you since I already have a mini of that shade.

@JenniferOhJenny  messaging you now!

Question about tipping for salon rework

My hair stylist, whom I adore and has given me the best hair I've had in a long time, messed up. I went in with beautiful highlights (appointment was for a touch up highlight) and left with substantially darker, ashy brown hair. Full details are in a post in the "Best Hair Ever" group. 

I'm going in again on Saturday for a complimentary attempt to fix. 

What is the eiitquitte here? Do I tip on a $0 fix appointment? I tipped 20% on the original where the mistake happened. On one side, he is using his time to fix a mistake, and I am grateful. On the other side, I'm not happy about having to spend two hours on a Saturday where family time is precious to get this done. Or perhaps there is a non-monetary way to express gratitude? I'm torn on this one and don't know which route to take. 

Update:  

My hair has been fixed, and all is right with my hair. I tipped generously (50% of what the service would have cost), because I was so grateful! Thanks, @AnnaMrsToBe , @alexasteph , and @AnnaMrsToBe for the support and suggestions!

@SheWhoSkis This once happened to me, and I did leave a tip after the second appointment. While I understand they are fixing a mistake and it's good practice to fix it as a curtesy, the second appointment is still taking your stylists time and if you hadn't approached him about the issue he'd be none the wiser. He's losing out on another client during that time, which I understand wouldn't be the case if it was done correctly the first time. Since it sounds like you visit him frequently, you want to keep the relationship a good one. He might feel terrible he messed up your hair, and a tip after the fix appointment will show him you are still appreciative of the work he does, even if there is a mistake. Mistakes happen, no one is perfect at their job 100% of the time. The tip you will leave will be way less than a full fix appointment elsewhere. 

I would play it by hear.  I had a similar situation with a hair cut and likewise while I was glad that she was willing to fix it I still had to travel and then sit at the salon for a couple hours.  *ETA when it was time for her to correct my cut she was just as friendly, etc as she was previously. She acknowledged the mistake and we proceeded with the appointment as if it were any other. I was not made to feel bad for asking that it be corrected (because let's be honest it can be difficult  to say something isn't what you wanted)  and for those reasons I did end up leaving her a tip. 

So, if the process goes well meaning you feel comfortable at the appointment and he corrects the problem without additional incident go for the tip.  The fact that you still tipped last time though, in spite of the mishap, is more than enough especially if this appointment to fix it isn't outstanding.  Do not allow yourself to be guilted  into giving a tip! 

RE: Re: The Question Thread 2.0!!!

You should tip. I'm a master hair designer and I would be offended if you did not leave a tip. No matter the outcome, he is providing you with a service. He did not have to fix it for free you know. Mistakes happen. A different stylist could have moved a color box or put a developer in the wrong place and he did the best he could. If this is the first time something like this has happened and he offered to fix it free then leave him a tip. It's courtesy. A 20% tip from what it would have cost if you were charged. That way you will continue to have a good relationship with your designer.

Re: RE: Re: The Question Thread 2.0!!!

Ooh, tough call. It is helpful to know the pov of the service provider, but imho if the original service was problematic, I don't feel that charging to correct the service or tipping for corrective services is warranted at a premium salon. I am tipping on the quality of service, not just the service. I pay more at a premium salon to insure a better outcome. I wouldn't return otherwise.  I am willing to pay for a stylist who wouldn't let me out of the chair if there was a problem. Maybe that's why the tipping question is so sensitive. 

If it's not a problem per se but a preference ("I don't like this") then I feel charging and tipping are certainly in order. That's not a mistake, and the salon and stylist shouldn't suffer. 

Has anyone noticed a decline in quality of ABH Brow Wiz? The spoolie has broken off last 3 or 4 I've purchased, after very minimal use. It sort of crumbles apart and I'm just wondering if it's been happening to others as well

It happened to me too. Luckily it was once I had finished...

It happened to me too. Luckily it was once I had finished the whole product, as I was using the brush to apply eyeshadow on my brows as a last minute solution.

RE: Re: The Question Thread 2.0!!!

It hasn't happened to me but I purchased mine in 2016. I'm currently using the Brow Definer which IMO is wayyy much better!

I've had this problem too! I wonder if it's something with the plastic? The pressure of using the spoolie shouldn't cause the plastic to crack and crumble like that. I need a spoolie for my brows, so I had to purchase a brush with one. Hopefully, the resolve the defect soon.

That happened to mine as well, the spoolie  just randomly broke off one day 

You're right @nycmle. It happened to me a couple of times where the connection of the spoolie to the pencil literally just crumbled. However, the last one I bought hasn't had this issue, so I'm hoping it was just a bad batch or that they resolved the problem. Keeping my fingers crossed anyway!

Can anyone recommend a bronzer for a very pale skin with a cool olive leaning undertone? I am just getting in to bronzers but I can't seem to get the shade right. 

610 Replies
testing