Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

The Perfume Challenge

Do you have a box full of perfume vials and/or a vanity covered in perfume bottles? Are you the Goldilocks of perfume, just looking for the perfect signature scent? Do you want an opportunity to post daily about how your perfume of the day smells oaky and smoky with hints of blackberry and currant, like a cigar in a whisky barrel rolling through a Mediterranean orchard on a breezy summer morning?

If you answered yes to any of the above, or you just want to hop on board for the ride, join us for a 31 days of perfume challenge starting January 1st! Some of us from the 25 days of lipstick challenge wanted to continue the fun and exploration, and since many of us have so many perfume samples, we thought this challenge would be perfect. If you don't have 31 perfumes or hate everything that doesn't smell like Meyer lemons and fresh goat cream, that's fine--we're just aiming to use the neglected perfumes we have laying around and incorporate them into our perfume rotations.

And if you want more perfume vials, there's no better time than now to take a peek at Sephora's samples section.

Edit: Anyone can join in at anytime! We're here to support, live vicariously through, and encourage everyone in their olfactory adventures!

Re: 31 Days of Perfume Challenge

I'm wearing this too! @ghrelin

@Haleyhale  We are perfume twins! 😄

Day 10 : Chanel Chance eau Tendre

I specifically put this on to challenge myself today. Since I've been wearing lots of spice and wood and vanilla, I forced myself to go with something fluffy and light. It's almost a stereotypical girly fragrance. It's youthful and bright without reading cheapo body spray. This was a favorite of mine in my early twenties, and I do feel as if I've outgrown it. I'm glad I broke it out, though.

Backlog:

Spoiler
Day 9: Tocca - Colette

Day 8: Etat Libre D'Orange - Fat Electrician

Day 7: Atelier Cologne - Bois Blonde

Day 6: LM Parfums - Malefic Tattoo

Day 5: Jo Malone - Vanilla & Anise
Day 4: Tocca - Margaux

Day 3: Parfumerie Generale - Felanilla 

Day 2: Elizabeth and James - Nirvana Bourbon 

Day 1: Maison Francis Kurkdjian - Grand Soir 

Day 10: Flower by Kenzo L'elixir. Great balance between floral, sweet, and resiny. Great for a cool day like today was, upper 60s/lower 70s, when you know you won't sweat and turn your perfume into a musk bomb. 

I absolutely LOVE this perfume! I have the original flower by Kenzo with the white and red flower on it, it is one of few creamy musks that really sinks into my skin and becomes "part" of me instead of staying on the surface. I love it

Day 10: Derek Lam Ellipsis

I am liking all the DM perfumes I tried so far. I have a bunch more to try during this challenge.

Anonymous Insider

Day 10- Elizabeth and James Rose.  I didn't think I'd like it but I was pleasantly surprised. Very long lasting, nice but not over powering rose scent. My daughter gave me hers from her Play box and there were only a few spritz' left, so I brought my Elizabeth and James White with me in case it wore off but I didn't need it.  It doesn't replace my beloved Aqua Di Parma Rose Nobile sample that my husband threw out on me 😰, but I'd consider buying this. Enjoy your evening everyone!

Day 10-Elizabeth and James nirvana white.This is really long lasting.

Day 10:

DKNY - Be Tempted (sample) 

Fragrance Notes:

• Top - Black currant
  • Middle - Rose
  • Base - Vanilla

Day 10: Tory Burch Love Relentlessly. I am loving this one, the staying power has been over 5 hours. I want to buy the full size bottle when my rollerball mini is gone. 🙂

Notes: Pink Pepper, Rose, Orris, Sandalwood

Day 10:  Atelier - Sud Magnolia

Notes:  Bitter Sevillian Orange, Pomelo from Florida, Blackcurrant, Magnolia from Louisiana, Bulgarian Rose Absolue, Indian Saffron Flower, Atlas Cedarwood from Morocco, Sandalwood, Musk

Compiled

Spoiler

Day 9:  Dolce & Gabbana – Light Blue

Day 8:  Escada – Joyful

Day 7:  Escada – Born in Paradise

Day 6:  Moschino – Moschino Fresh Couture

Day 5:  Chanel - No. 5 L'eau

Day 4:  Elizabeth & James - Nirvana Bourbon

Day 3:  YSL - Black Opium

Day 2:  Pacifica - Tunisian Jasmine Lime

Day 1:  Juliette Has a Gun - Not a Perfume

Day 10: Marc Jacobs Daisy Dream

This one is very light, but a fresh floral. It's almost too light though. I think that's because it's an EDT not an EDP. I like it just fine, it's a nice scent, but it doesn't have the staying power like some of the others I've worn during this challenge. I think a scent like this would be appropriate for people who might be sensitive to fragrance, or work in industry where they can't wear strong fragrances, like health care. 

Spoiler
Day 1: Alien by Muglar (eh)
Day 2: Estee Lauder Modern Muse Chic (yay!)
Day 3: Atelier Orange Sanguine (yay!)
Day 4: D&G Dolce (yay!)
Day 5: Pinrose Merry Maker (yay!)
Day 6: TokyoMilk Dark Pretty Rotten 33 (no)
Day 7: Fresh snow and a frozen nose
Day 8: Lavender and Peppermint Essential Oils
Day 9: YSL Mon Paris (yay!)

Haha, we twinned today. And had the exact same feelings about this perfume too!

Jan 10: Aerin Ikat Jasmine sample vial: I can smell a very light jasmine. Quite pretty but I'm afraid it won't last long on me.

Day 10 - So I put on Philosophy Pink Almond Candy body butter after my shower, then sprayed on my new sample of Guerlain La Petite Robe Noir (which smells a bit like cherries) later. Honestly, it smells delicious! (In case it's not obvious, I love sweet scents :).)

Day 10:  Trying another Derek Lam today - Hi-Fi.

Notes:
Pink Peony, French Narcisse. 

This smells very similar to one of the Mary Jacobs Sorbet perfumes.  I dig it!

Day 10: Nest Indigo (mini)

Notes: Moroccan Tea, Kashmir Wood, Cardamom, Wild Fig

I think this is one of the more unique scents I own. None of the notes stand out to me individually. They blend well throughout the wear.

Spoiler
Day 9: Juliette Has a Gun MMMM.... (travel spray)
Day 8: Gucci Guilty (sample vial)
Day 7: Jo Malone Dark Amber and a Ginger Lily (sample vial)
Day 6: Guerlain La Petite Robe Noire EDT (mini)
Day 5: E&J Nirvana Rose (rollerball)
Day 4: Derek Lam 10 Crosby Ellipsis (sample vial)
Day 3: Marc Jacobs Decadence (rollerball)
Day 2: Derek Lam 10 Crosby 2am Kiss (sample vial)
Day 1: Philosophy Fresh Cream (body spray)

Day 10: Stash by SJP

My notes - I adore SJP and think she can do no wrong.  This perfume smells like church to me (some kind of incense maybe?) and I really like it but I think it might be too strong for many.

Real notes - Top - Grapefruit zest, black pepper, sage; Heart - Cedarwood atlas, patchouli, ginger lily, pistachio; Base - Olibanum, massoia wood, vetiver, musk

Ooooh, it's definitely the olibanum that makes it churchy. Sounds very nice!

Oh thanks GPL!  I expected to recognize one of the notes but I had no clue!

Day 10: Maison Margiela Beach Walk. It's not terribly out of season here in the south where it's going to be 78 degrees later today, but this perfume just smells like salt and concentrated sunscreen on me. It's disappointing because I love bergamot and lemon, but the coconut is overpowering all the other notes!

Notes:
Bergamot, Pink Pepper, Lemon, Ylang Ylang, Coconut Milk, Heliotrope, Musk, Cedarwood, Benzoin.

4,022 Replies
testing