Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

The Perfume Challenge

Do you have a box full of perfume vials and/or a vanity covered in perfume bottles? Are you the Goldilocks of perfume, just looking for the perfect signature scent? Do you want an opportunity to post daily about how your perfume of the day smells oaky and smoky with hints of blackberry and currant, like a cigar in a whisky barrel rolling through a Mediterranean orchard on a breezy summer morning?

If you answered yes to any of the above, or you just want to hop on board for the ride, join us for a 31 days of perfume challenge starting January 1st! Some of us from the 25 days of lipstick challenge wanted to continue the fun and exploration, and since many of us have so many perfume samples, we thought this challenge would be perfect. If you don't have 31 perfumes or hate everything that doesn't smell like Meyer lemons and fresh goat cream, that's fine--we're just aiming to use the neglected perfumes we have laying around and incorporate them into our perfume rotations.

And if you want more perfume vials, there's no better time than now to take a peek at Sephora's samples section.

Edit: Anyone can join in at anytime! We're here to support, live vicariously through, and encourage everyone in their olfactory adventures!

Re: 31 Days of Perfume Challenge

@Asche I do have to revise my original assessment in that a few hours in, I COULD smell the other - blackcurrant and berries, mostly, when I took a direct whiff. But, I'm not sure that this will be your cup of tea. Oud can be pretty stinky, and the sap, fir balsam, incense, and patchouli really drive that home in this one lol. It was super potent all day - even at 11pm at night!

Their packaging and stories are really brilliant. You might like their new one - Flying? It isn't my cup of tea, so I didn't order a sample, but it sounds like it might be light/fresh.

@Libellules I really appreciate the insight. I think your right, this doesn't sound like a scent I'd enjoy. I will definitely try out Flying. 🙂 

Did you end up liking Across Sands more as the day went on? Or would you still never wear it again? 

@Asche let me know your thoughts on Flying when you try it!

Across Sands is just really, really strong. I don't know if I'd NEVER wear it again, but there are just other Ouds I like quite a bit more. One has to be in the mood for Across Sands since it's just that strong and long lasting O.O

@Libellules I had a chance to test Flying and Across Sands in Sephora this morning. I absolutely love Flying (it also got my boyfriends approval). I would have picked up immediately if it wasn't $200. 😛 I'll probably get it during the April sale.

Across Sands was not what I was expecting. I completely understand why you emphasized how strong it is. It also had a dryness about it. I don't hate it, but it isn't something I could see myself wearing/enjoying. Considering how strong it is, I think after an hour or so it'd probably give me a headache. 

@Asche YAY! I'm so glad that not only did Flying out for you, but it is boyfriend approved 😄

Isn't it crazy?? To be fair, at least to me, I really really envision a dry and desolate desert. I commend MMM for creating something so powerful/transportive, but I think it takes a special kind (or at least a special mood) to want to go to that place :P.

Let me know if you're every in a smokey/oud mood - I and a few others on BT will have some better balanced suggestions for you 😄

Day 30: Alien Eau Extraordinaire by Thierry Mugler.

This one really isn't at all like the original Alien, in my opinion.  It's fresh, green, citrus-y, with some floral and a tiny bit of spice.  It's a very lovely scent that is perfect for bright spring days with birds singing and butterflies flitting from flower to flower.

My love affair with this lasted for half the bottle.  I wore it all the time when I first got it a couple years ago, but the flame has since died.  It's still nice, and I do like it, but I don't reach for it as often as I used to.

(  Also, it's nice that the bottle stands up.  This is random, but that's a grudge I hold against Thierry Mugler in general--that being that a good amount of their products aren't designed to be upright and you have to buy a stand if you want to display them.  )

Day 29 Creed Fantasia de Fleurs

This screams I'm a classy lady and my life is in complete order. Definitely only need half a spritz and lasts so long on my skin. I wear it for special occasions or, you know, lazy Sundays. 🙂 

Day 27: clean reserve blonde rose - ehhh, it's OK. I guess it does smell "clean" but not very "interesting"

Day 28: fergie outspoken intense - ...I'm running out of perfume, can ya tell lol. I have absolutely no idea where I got this from, but it's not new. And breaking it back out made me remember why I shoved it to the back of my stash: it smells cheap

Day 29: alaia blanche. Found another sample vial! I don't like this one though, it definitely smells too mature to me

Day 29: Guilded Fox by Pinrose.

The first note I got off this perfume was a type of spice that reminded me of gingerbread.  It's cardamon, but it just really reminds me of gingerbread and Christmas.  I'm also getting amber and vetiver.  The sample foil says cocoa and rum, but I don't get either of those.  It's not an unpleasant smell, but I don't think I would want to wear it again.

Slightly off topic, but I never really thought much about fragrance notes until we all started posting them on this thread. Was anyone else unfamiliar with tonka beans? I did some reading about them, and while they're a popular spice type of flavoring in France, it's prohibited as food in the US because huge amounts of the beans cause liver problems in rats. Alinia actually got busted for using tonka beans in their food. Anyway, it's a bean from South America that tastes similar to vanilla, but is also fruity and grassy.

I did not know this! I knew they were used for vanilla like smells in fragrances but never thought that much about the bean itself, much less that you could eat it! Wow @txcatx

Day 29: Pinrose Merry Maker. Sephora never sends me Pinrose samples when I request them, so I bought the $18 rollerball set. I'm so glad I did, because I love the fruity-floral goodness of Merry Maker! I don't even care if I smell like a middle schooler because this perfume makes me merry.

Notes:
Nectarine, Grapefruit, Cassis, Violet, Rose, Plum, Musk, Moss, Tonka.

Yes! Welcome to Pinrose 😁 Each scent is as unique and amazing as the last. It's the sort of brand where you want all of them. I got the 10 piece rollerball set, and I have quite a few one use wipes. I absolutely love Pinrose. 

Just got my internet back after losing power for 3 days and internet for 5 days due to an ice storm,so I am trying to get caught up.I don't remember which days I wore these scents but here are the ones I tried

1-Tokyo milk dark tainted love

2-mui mui-I might have worn this earlier in the challenge but it a favorite.

3-Ralph Lauren the big pony collection for women 2

4-Calvin Klein Forbidden euphoria

5-Givenchy hot couture

6-Charlotte Tilbury scent of a dream

7-Narciso  Rodriguez for her l'absolu.

Day 28-29: Saje's Stress Release rollerball. It's a combo of lavender, camomile and orange EOs.

It was not a great weekend, as anyone reading the news can see. Going to try to shore up energy today and get back to the challenge tomorrow!

I agree, it has not been a good weekend news wise. I'm going to stay off Facebook/ news sites for a bit I think. I like to be informed but just keep getting down and sad to see what state this world is coming to. My heart feels very heavy. Peace and love to everyone here and far 🌎

Day 29: Giorgio Armani Si

I like this one! It's very balanced between sweetness, florals, and musk. My only complaint is a feel like I needed to put a lot for any staying power. A third of the sample vial was gone before I was actually able to detect it. But now that's it on and I've been wearing it, it's quite nice. It's along the same lines as Mon Paris and La Vie Est Belle, but is sweeter. While I do like it quite a bit, because I have scents similar with better staying power, I do not think I will purchase a full size. I have Si Rose on my list of ones to try, because I feel like that one is a bit more unique and different from what is already in my collection. 

Spoiler
Day 1: Alien by Muglar (eh)
Day 2: Estee Lauder Modern Muse Chic (yay!)
Day 3: Atelier Orange Sanguine (yay!)
Day 4: D&G Dolce (yay!)
Day 5: Pinrose Merry Maker (yay!)
Day 6: TokyoMilk Dark Pretty Rotten 33 (no)
Day 7: Fresh snow and a frozen nose
Day 8: Lavender and Peppermint Essential Oils
Day 9: YSL Mon Paris (yay!)
Day 10: Marc Jacobs Daisy Dream (eh)
Day 11: British TV shows
Day 12: Lancôme La Vie Est Belle (yay!)
Day 13: Pinrose Tambourine Dreamer (yay!)
Day 14: Balenciaga B. Skin (double yay!)
Day 15: Pinrose Secret Genius (yay!)
Day 16: Pinrose Pinrose + Secret Genius (yay!)
Day 17: Jose Maran Joy/Sweet Holly (yay!)
Day 18: Chloe Eau du Parfum (yay!)
Day 19: Dior J'adore (yay!)
Day 20: YSL Black Opium (yay!)
Day 21: Elizabeth and James Nivana White (double yay!)
Day 22: Nothing
Day 23: Marc Jacobs Dot (eh)
Day 24: Versace Eros Pour Femme EDP (no, unfortunately)
Day 25: BVLGARI Omnia Paraiba (eh)
Day 26: Commodity Mimosa (double yay!)
Day 27: Atelier Vanille Insensée (yay!) to mask MM Lazy Sunday Morning (100% NOPE) 
Day 28: Paco Rabanne 1 Million (double yay!)

@alexasteph Si is one of those that I love to smell on other people but that smells absolutely awful on me.  That makes me sad because it really is lovely.

Day 29: Chanel N. 19

Notes: galbanum, neroli, bergamot, jasmine, rose, lily of the valley, iris, vetiver, sandalwood, leather, musk

I usually wear this fragrance solely in the Spring and Summer. Since I am longing for warmer weather, I decided to spritz some on! This is another Chanel favorite of mine. 

Day 29:  Neutrogena Shower & Bath Gel

OK, this is my everyday shower gel.  I'm down to my last two fragrances.  I'm saving them for Monday and Tuesday that's why I used Charity Pot yesterday and I'm making such a stretch for today.  The shower gel scent doesn't last beyond the shower, so I'm not really wearing anything.  😄

Compiled

Spoiler

Day 28:  Lush – Charity Pot

Day 27:  Atelier Cologne – Orange Sanguine

Day 26:  Givenchy – Dahlia Divin

Day 25:  Nest – Indigo

Day 24:  Atelier Cologne – Mandarine Glaciale

Day 23:  Atelier Cologne – Cedrat Enivrant

Day 22:  Versace – Eros Pour Femme (EDP)

Day 21:  Elizabeth & James – Nirvana Black

Day 20:  Giorgio Armani – Acqua di Gioia

Day 19:  Nest – Citrine

Day 18:  Nest – Midnight Fleur

Day 17:  Nest – Dahlia & Vines

Day 16:  John Varvatos – Artisan Acqua

Day 15:  Versace - Dylan Blue

Day 14:  Marc Jacobs - Daisy

Day 13:  Atelier Cologne – Figuier Ardent

Day 12:  Acqua Di Gio Pour Homme

Day 11:  Cartier – Vetiver Bleu

Day 10:  Atelier Cologne - Sud Magnolia

Day 9:  Dolce & Gabbana – Light Blue

Day 8:  Escada – Joyful

Day 7:  Escada – Born in Paradise

Day 6:  Moschino – Moschino Fresh Couture

Day 5:  Chanel - No. 5 L'eau

Day 4:  Elizabeth & James - Nirvana Bourbon

Day 3:  YSL - Black Opium

Day 2:  Pacifica - Tunisian Jasmine Lime

Day 1:  Juliette Has a Gun - Not a Perfume

Day 28. Since the Canadian warehouse is behind on shipping, I'm out of perfume samples, so I cheated and layered Tainted Love with Eternity Now again.  So good! I think I may need to get a full size or at least a rollerball of Eternity Now.

4,022 Replies
testing