Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

Fragrance Junkie Central

I know there are a few of us on BT that are fragrance addicts, so I thought it would be nice to have a dedicated place where we can share our thoughts.

This is not to take away from the lovely What Are You Wearing Today, Fragrance Edition thread, but more a place to post longer reviews, chat about new brands or releases, and just shoot the breeze on anything good and smelly 🙂

For me, I recently acquired 2 new decants that I've been anxiously awaiting.  Ever since Lachaton mentioned that MMM was releasing a new scent called By The Fireplace I've been itching to get my hands on it.  My decant arrived yesterday, so I'm looking forward to marinating in it this weekend.  Secondly, I recently picked up a tiny sample of Shiseido Nombre Noir.  Supposedly it is one of the most expensive failures in perfume history - made by Serge Lutens for Shiseido back in the 80s.  Of course, with a backstory like that, I was dying to get a sniff 😄

What's new on your scent radar?  Do tell!

im1017151age.jpeg

Re: Fragrance Junkie Central

@blackkitty2014 I'm guessing it will be priced like the rest of the line, $310 Canadian for 100ml

https%3A%2F%2Fhypebeast.com%2Fwp-content%2Fblogs.dir%2F6%2Ffiles%2F2020%2F12%2Flouis-vuitton-bespoke-customized-perfume-service-1

From Hypebae and FT

LV has now announced a bespoke perfume service for the luxury-obsessed. The house’s fragrances – made to order at a new atelier in Grasse, France – arrive in a handcrafted monogram trunk case.

Each fragrance is crafted based on the user’s taste, memories, lifestyle and typical perfume habits. After consultation, Jacques Cavallier Belletrud composes one-of-a-kind scents using some of the most exclusive raw materials at the house’s Les Fontaines Parfumées in Grasse. During the months of development, an accompanying trunk is simultaneously made at LV’s workshop in Asnières. Each case can hold four 100mL bottles, three 200mL bottles, a 100mL travel case, a travel spray and 16 refills.

The customized perfume service begins at  €60,000.

The service launches in January, and because of travel restrictions it’s likely many consultations will take place over Zoom, with the client going to their nearest Vuitton store to smell different ingredients as they talk to Cavallier Belletrud. It takes around a year to receive the finished result. “What kind of cooking do you like? What is the best memory of your childhood? Why do you wear perfume? What perfume do you hate?” I’m trying to answer these questions as Cavallier Belletrud demonstrates his process and it turns out to be quite soul-searching.

Honestly, the process sounded to me like a data gathering exercise to build some kind of marketing profile for their highest net worth customers and indeed, the FT article goes on,

Presumably this intimate service will also give Vuitton invaluable insights into its highest-spending clients. “That’s what I consider market research,” says Burke. He believes that there is “a real need” for personal relationships between house and clients. “We have very few people who buy only one trunk,” he says. “Some people buy one every birthday, others buy a whole new set when they get divorced. Made-to-order has the highest growth rate of anything we do.”

Also interesting facts in the FT article are that the LV perfume line is performing better than expected and Asian customers make up 30% of LV's fragrance base.

Honestly, I have smelled some LVs and while they are mostly nice and polished, with a couple stand outs like their mushroomy tuberose, the rest are quite safe and boring.

@pocketvenus Wow!  I love their bags but .......very pricey.  

@pocketvenus ...so that starts at $72,000 ish dollars? 

@Samtian  ish.  lol.

@Samtian @missjeanie I feel like houses are trying to see how high the fragrance market can go, what people are willing to pay. Apparently, it's pretty high.

@pocketvenus Lol apparently. It does sound and look cool though.

@pocketvenus  I don’t generally get sticker shock with beauty... there’s a market for everything right 🤷🏻‍♀️ But this one made me raise my brows a little. I’d be curious to know how many they end up selling. 

@missjeanie I'd love to know 👀 This isn't the highest I've seen though. Roja Dove did a scent for £75,000 for one $$$$ client. It's wasn't even bespoke, it was just exclusive, served up in three diamond encrusted 100ml bottles with 18k gold plates.

The heady, sensual juice features top notes of bergamot, orange, lime, lemon, lavender and verbena; heart notes of rose, jasmine, ylang ylang, fig and geranium; and base notes of oakmoss, patchouli, saffron, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, cedarwood, sandalwood, casmir wood, aoud, birch, cocoa, benzoin, orris, labdanum, cistus, leather, musk, civet and ambergris. 

@pocketvenus Yes, at least this one is customized.  I would however think that part of the experience of purchasing the trunk is getting to consult in person.  I'd feel a bit cheated by doing it over zoom.  Some things are just more appropriate in person and scents are one of them.  

@missjeanie Definitely!! I can't imagine a bespoke process that doesn't involve smelling many things unless you had total trust in the nose. I also think a chunk of the appeal is having someone to listen suuuuuuper attentively to you as you talk solely about yourself, your memories and interests, ha ha.

For 70k I'll listen to anyone who wants to talk to me @pocketvenus ! lol

@missjeanie same!! 🤣

Anonymous Insider

My new favourite has to be the Tom Ford Lost Cherry. It has been on my “want” list for awhile but the price tag has always been a scare for me. I finally caved in and bought it - and all I have to say is wow. It smells like sweet cherries, with a mix of vanilla. The scent is so unique and so classy. Perfect if your the boujee rouge shopper or love Tom Ford! Never fails to impress me.

Been absolutely OBSESSED with all TOM FORD scents lately.... I literally had a dream that I was smelling all of his perfume’s last night😳🤣 it was a “f***ing fabulous” dream😂🤪 #TOMFORD

New from Marc Jacobs is the Daisy Spring collection:

Screenshot 2020-12-05 162746.jpg

I have my eye on the Marc Jacobs Fragrances Daisy Spring Eau de Toilette 

As I mentioned back in the summer, looks like this one is finally coming soon

BF3C6F65-9144-4A25-AA1E-54D4CBF00489.png

@Mochapj I really hope this will be cult classic liked Jasmine Rouge but I don’t have lots of faiths after the recent releases 😂🤣

@Mochapj  @blackkitty2014 Really curious to try this one 🙂

More trademarks registered

SOLEIL BRÛLANT

EBÈNE FUMÉ

GOLD BIKINI

Ford used to be ahead of the curve. Tuberose has been trending for awhile and he's a bit late to the smoky genre. I would love to smell them both though, the tuberose and the fir balsam smoke. 

@pocketvenus I agree. The brand doesn't seem to be innovating much anymore so much as just cashing in on what they know has worked before. 

I shared those 3 TM in the TF thread a while back. As they seemed to be for cosmetics, I didn't think to post them here.

I'm curious to see what Ebene Fume ends up being, but Gold Bikini just makes me shake my head 😄

testing