Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Fragrance Fans
|

Fragrance Junkie Central

I know there are a few of us on BT that are fragrance addicts, so I thought it would be nice to have a dedicated place where we can share our thoughts.

This is not to take away from the lovely What Are You Wearing Today, Fragrance Edition thread, but more a place to post longer reviews, chat about new brands or releases, and just shoot the breeze on anything good and smelly 🙂

For me, I recently acquired 2 new decants that I've been anxiously awaiting.  Ever since Lachaton mentioned that MMM was releasing a new scent called By The Fireplace I've been itching to get my hands on it.  My decant arrived yesterday, so I'm looking forward to marinating in it this weekend.  Secondly, I recently picked up a tiny sample of Shiseido Nombre Noir.  Supposedly it is one of the most expensive failures in perfume history - made by Serge Lutens for Shiseido back in the 80s.  Of course, with a backstory like that, I was dying to get a sniff 😄

What's new on your scent radar?  Do tell!

im1017151age.jpeg

Re: Fragrance Junkie Central

First time posting in this thread!

I'm not really a junkie by any means, even though I have a dozen bottles of perfumes and enough vials to last me an eternity.

After years of buying the more mainstream fragrances, I recently started exploring the lesser known (to people outside of this community, anyway) brands like Atelier, Juliette has a Gun, and most recently, Aerin.

I tried some Ikat Jasmine at the Canadian Rouge event, loved it, and had to go back for it the next day. I have my eyes now on Rose de Grasse, after reading reviews on Fragrantica and such... and wanted to know the thoughts of those who've tried this?? Is it really as amazing as they say?

I love roses, and really liked Juliette has a Gun's rose scents...Mad Madame was my fav, Miss Charming second (although it didn't last long enough on me), and Lady Vengeance third. Would you say Aerin Rose de Grasse is similar to these? And if so, how would you rank it among your favourite rose fragrances?

I'm not a fan of the super complex scents, because I don't know how to appreciate them. For example, I like a few Atelier scents, but many of them are a bit too...musky? Woody? for me...

I went to HR and tried both the Jo Malone Red Roses and Aerin Rose de Grasse. I LOVED the JM as soon as I smelled it, so I put some on my wrist.

Waited around for 10 minutes for someone to help me at Estee Lauder because the Rose de Grasse was locked in a case, for some reason... finally...got help, sprayed on paper... nothing.

Sprayed on wrist....still nothing. I asked for a sample vial, but they didn't have any.

So I walked around HR for a few minutes, smelling each of my wrists like I'm checking myself for BO, and then walked straight back to JM to buy a 30mL spray of the Red Roses. It's the rose scent I'm looking for. To me, it's pure red roses. The Aerin is a soft, pretty rose scent, but unfortunately just didn't smell very strong to me. It's been an hour and I can barely smell it anymore whereas I'm still getting whiffs of the JM.

It's possible that you couldn't smell it properly because of olfactory fatigue.  Sometimes especially when starting out if we smell to many fragrances or even just one strong fragrance it affects our ability to smell after.  Especially if you are smelling perfumes with similar or strong notes like the rose.

A few tips:  Smell away from the perfume counter.  That area is so filled with scent and it affects the way we perceive scent (ever smell something in store and at home it smells different?)

Don't smell the coffeebeans, you're just adding more scent and overloading your nose.  To reset I tend to put my nose in my elbow take a few deep inhales, its like cleansing your palette but for noses.

If you're just starting out pick only 3-4 scents to try.  If you're going to spray it on your skin make sure you've used unscented lotion (or the lotion you will normally wear with that perfume), it all affects how the perfume will react with your skin.  

I'd try the Aerin one again but make it the first one you try.  I will say that of the Aerin fragrances I have tried they come across more skin scents in my opinion.

Rose scent is addictive!!  Happy sniffing!

Thanks for the tips 🙂 The olfactory fatigue makes sense...in the end, I chose the one that stood out more so I guess it still worked out in the end! I stood around waiting for the SA for SO LONG that I was bored and smelled a bunch of the Aerin perfumes.

I can definitely say that the Amber Musk was definitely not olfactory fatigue though. I just don't get anything oout of it at all, unfortunately 😞 It was maybe the 3rd scent I smelled today, and I had a good few minutes in between before I smelled it!

Yay, I'm so happy you found one that you loved! Red Roses is so romantic to me. I live for the bath oil (it's my bath treat every once in a while!)

Thanks for reminding me about it! When I was first looking up rose scents, it did pop up but I had forgotten that I can try out JM fragrances at HR. I saw a little vial of bath oil, but I was pretty sure I'd use the entire thing in one go 😛

I really wish the Aerin would have worked out. The bottle is so pretty (sucker for packaging). I do see that musk is another note inRose de Grasse, and just to be sure the tester at Sephora wasn't bad... I tried the Amber Musk again at Holt Renfrew. I still smelled absolutely nothing. Maybe my nose just cannot pick up amber and musk scented things?!

Ooh, maybe! I have a friend that has a really hard time smelling certain scents. We actually realized this at the Science Centre haha. She just can't smell certain things - although she's fine with others! 

Amber Musk is the one Aerin fragrance that I don't really like. I normally like amber (and musk) but this one just doesn't sit well with me... as much as I love coconut, I can't stand the coconut in this one.

And another one you might want to sniff down the road... Diptyque's Eau Rose. I picked up a sample of it recently and it's pretty. I don't think I'd buy a full size bottled, but I like the sample enough!

this is so funny to me because I got the JHAG discovery set with the vibpicks promo and just started trying them. So far, I liked the OUD and had to wash lady vengeance and mad woman off cause the rose was cloying and makes me headacchy. I just tried a tiny bit of miss charming and don't hate it yet. I should've known cause I hate Jean patou Joy. But, I love the taste of rose water in arabic desserts and love actual roses. I should send you my vials when I'm done testing LOL

I love JHAG Miss Charming for work because it is light. It leaves a mild musk on my wrist in the afternoon, hospital friendly.

I'm a huge florals fan, roses being my favourite! I looked up the Jean Patou, I think it might have too many notes for me.

It may. And I suspect it's been re formulated and cheapened anyway. But, my mother used to wear it before she became allergic - and my sister finally gave it up too since my mom, my sisters husband, and I can't stand it. So, I have a bunch sitting in my house waiting to be EBates. So, I've smelled it recently - still can't stand it. Oh well. Body chemistry is a weird thing 🙂

Welcome to the club! 😉

I think I might have Rose de Grasse from the Aerin set I bought this summer, and if I do, I've tried it once before.

I'll pop it on and let you know how I think it compares to what you've mentioned.  Miss Charming is one of my favorites from JHAG, and the only one I bought a FB of.

FWIW, I don't think I've found an Atelier scent to love and I've tried all of them except the 2 newest ones (Jasmine & Saphir)  They use too much citrus or vetiver, (depending on the blend) IMO in their perfumes.  I hate both those notes, so it's an easy pass for me.

p.s. I have only tried a few atelier samples so far but mandarin glaciale was the only one I didn't intensely dislike.

I'm probably nuts but, on the drydown, miss charming reminds me of replica beach walk minus the coconut 😛

I haven't tried Jasmine yet, but the Oud Saphir is delicious.

I believe I tried this in store, I don't think my nose is sophisticated enough to like oud (woody) scents 😞

You don't need a sophisticated nose to like oud, it's just a fancy name for agar wood a type of resin.

Sometimes a particular note whether it be oud, or roses or lily's  that we think we dislike, we discover that we actually enjoy when we smell it a well crafted perfume.  

I disliked tuberose and roses once upon a time..now I can't live without either of those scents in my life,

Thank you Mocha, I'd really appreciate it! I really like Miss Charming but hubby thinks I smell like bath soap :S Men! I really like the black currant in Mad Madame, but Miss Charming is such a nice and fresh rose scent.

I would love to know your thoughts on Rose de Grasse. It's hard to track down a sampler, I think Holts might have it but I don't enjoy going there. Also, it's so $$$

I think Vetiver might be what I don't like as well. I bought the sampler spray set during the 15% off sale earlier this year and while I *like* Rose Anonyme, the vanilla, the orange (sorry getting too lazy too look up names)...I didn't really like the vetiver, bois blond??, cedrat envirant...

I did like the pomelo one though!

K, can you grab a decant of Rose de Grasse anywhere? Looks like Perfumed Court has it. 

Also - might be worth trying to get a hold of HR to see if you can get a sample sent to you. Worst they can say is no!

I'm such a fragrance noob, I didn't know I can order decants! Thanks!

I'm going to check HR during lunch, and if they don't have it, I'll order on Perfumed Court... that is one pricey vial... 3mL for $32?!

This would be my most expensive perfume yet... I know that's not saying much but my nose is simple and pleased by cheap fragrances 😄

3,400 Replies