Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Everything Eyes
|

Under eye hollows/ concealer without foundation?

Hi everyone! I have very deep under-eye hollows and use a ton of concealer. I am not huge on makeup but i have maybe 20 concelaers! haha Recently I've started to follow a few makeup bloggers and noticed that even if they have deep under-eye circles, the concealer looks a lotbetter applied with foundation. (a lot smoother?) I am 26 and have never applied foundation myself. I've done a few photoshoots and hated how heavy it feels! but maybe im just not very experienced and should give foundation another try? i guess I'm looking for tips or advice on whatto use/maybe some makeup hacks i can try. In the future i want to investin maybe getting fillers for under the eyes.. but for now makeup will do Thank you!! 😙

RE: Under eye hollows/ concealer without foundation?

So this is a common issue that is often handled incorrectly. The common response will be to use full coverage foundation or concealer but this will not help the situation. It is not an issue of discoloration that you are treating . You are trying to optically lighten a shadow . The technique of this is specific and actually requires less makeup . The key is to use a concealer , preferably with some light reflecting particles , only on the area of the shadow. I did a tutorial video on Sephora’s YouTube channel specifically for this technique below is a link : https://youtu.be/Bz9lGLKHuOE If that doesn’t work from here the name of the video is ‘How to cover under eye circles’ and it was posted about 7 months ago. Here is a screenshot so you can see it . I think this will help you a lot . ☺️ ☺️🌟🙏🏻

wow this is extremely helpful thank you so much!

wow this is extremely helpful thank you so much!

Re: RE: Under eye hollows/ concealer without foundation?

This is incredibly insightful and helpful, thank you so much  @DavidPRO!! I definitely need to grab the pro #71 brush, it looks like it really helps to get the right amount of coverage in just the right places 😄

RE: Re: RE: Under eye hollows/ concealer without foundation?

Oh I’m so happy to hear it was helpful!! 😊😊😊! Yes that brush works like a perfect little magic wand when it comes to under eye shadow!! 😊😊

Re: Under eye hollows/ concealer without foundation?

I have the same problem and I noticed that using foundation only makes it worse. Sure, foundation+concealer make the circles less obvious but instead they bring out all the wrinkles and make me look 20 years older. I also don't like the feel of foundation in general. What I found to help with under eye circles is color correction rather than just concealing. Color corrector neutralizes the color of the circle rather than just burying it under a thick layer. If the circles are bluish in color use a peachy/orange corrector, if they are more brownish, use a pink one. This allows you to use a VERY thin layer of product to maximum effect. I personally have both texture (wrinkles and bumps) and color issues so what I do is the following: 

1. hydrating primer. Smashbox makes primers specifically for the under eye area. Don't use a mattifying face primer there. 

2. color correction. As my circles change color depending on the season I own one in pink (Benefit brightening concealer), one in peach (part of Smashbox Light Theory kit) and one in orange (UD Naked Skin Shapeshifter in Dark). Color corrector is used in really minor amounts and also should match your general skin tone. If you are generally cool toned orange probably won't help you. Peach id pretty much for everyone. 

3. Actual concealer. Sometimes I forego this step altogether, as color correction makes it unnecessary, but on really bad days it can help. I use NARS radiant creamy concealer or L'Oreal True Match. Concealer should be as fluid and lightweight as possible -- anything heavy, "full-coverage" or "extra-strength" will bring out texture issues at once. 

4. Under eye brightener. This is a product by Smashbox which I have not yet seen in other brands. It is basically a very lightweight shimmery liquid with very minor color correction properties. If your circles are very light and insignificant it can help you on its own. Grave cases like myself can use it over concealer/color corrector. Its light shimmer helps mask texture issues and the depth of the under eye circle. 

All this might seem like a lot of product, but again, each of these is used in VERY SMALL amounts. The result looks better (at least to me) than each of the products on its own. 

i agree! foundation feels so heavy and makes lines & wrin...

i agree! foundation feels so heavy and makes lines & wrinkles appear more! thank you so much for your detailed reaponse! I'm off to buy a peach corrector asap 🙂

RE: Under eye hollows/ concealer without foundation?

I️ highly suggest the abh foundation stick and tarte rainforest of the sea for foundation!
7 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 12 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
Photos2
testing