cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Curls & Coils
|

Ride the WAVE with me

Hey all,

My hair was a beautiful 3B my teen and college years. After issues with hormones and kids I have only wave left. It is frustrating not knowing how to style your hair anymore. My hair is now 2B, 2C would be an excellent day.

I plan to have a no-buy for makeup for one year (started Nov 2018) and focus on finding the right hair products. I want to take the process gradually and give things time.

I started using Devacurl in Spring 2018. I had low-poo, one condition, and arc angel gel. My hair looked and felt like straw and was not getting any curl back so I stopped using all three products.

In October I chopped off a lot of hair for donation and hoped to get some bounce back. The stylist (Deva certified) recommended no-poo, one condition, coconut styling cream, and b-leave in gel. The routine was okay but I wanted more out of my hair.

Over the past week I changed my styling product to arc angel gel. I know, I know, the stylist and others have already said it was too heavy for my hair. I just wanted to experiment and find what product caused my hair to turn to straw in the spring. Arc angel seems to be in the clear. But since it isn't helping with any curl, I will pass it on to my 3C/4A mom.

I plan to resume the last routine and see how it goes or if it still seems lackluster. My one condition is almost out but I have a one condition delight. I want to see how my hair reacts to this.

I also have samples of Decadence. I believe it will likely be too heavy but it is time to find what works and what doesn't.

So here begins my hair journey. Hoping to either learn to ride the waves or return to curl.

Re: Ride the WAVE with me

@Loretta55  Your hair looks great!! Will it stay like this during this heat and humidity? My hair is not as long as yours, but will start out looking good, but it doesn't always stay with this humidity!!😉

As long as I do not touch my hair @yankeefaithful, it will hold up to high humidity. Thank you for the compliment!

Haven't posted in a while. I have kept my hair routine pretty consistent.

DEVACURL - No-Poo Original Zero Lather Conditioning Cleanser

DEVACURL - One Condition Original Daily Cream Conditioner

and either DEVACURL - WAVE MAKER™ Touchable Texture Whipor DEVACURL - B'LEAVE-IN™ Miracle Curl Plumperfor styling depending on if it's just a rinse and style day or all the hair stuff

Recently I brought the DEVACURL - SUPERCREAM® Coconut Curl Styler

back in since I had a mini for travel. I feel like the Supercream is the best at defining my hair. I still have one more full size of it to use again too.

But my next experiment will be trying the DEVACURL - Low-Poo Original Mild Lather Cleanser.I'm curious if my hair will look and feel like straw similar to the first time I tried it last year or if it will work. I'll update once I've finished off my bottle of the no poo and start using this.

Lastly, ANNOUNCEMENT! I have been seeing DevaCurl at my CVS. With the 30-40% off single item coupons CVS sends out this may be the cheapest way to get some of the products. Just an FYI to save some money. 🙂

Try adding the DevaCurl Ultra Styling Gel as your final step @ShortErica . It may make a big difference. DEVACURL - ULTRA DEFINING GEL Strong Hold No-Crunch Styler

@Loretta55 I've tried the light defining gel and it doesn't help my hair. Would this be better? Also my stylist originally had me do the supercream followed by b'leave-in but two products also seemed a bit much for my hair. Thanks for your help!

The Ultra Defining Gel helps to hold my curls @ShortErica . You may want to try a sample of it.

My husband noticed them at  CVS also @ShortErica . I noticed some not all DevaCurl products at Shop Rite. 

We don't have Shop Rite by me but hopefully someone who does can get some deals! Thanks @Loretta55!

Shop Rite is a chain of supermarkets located in the NE @ShortErica . 

Time to bump this thread again! I tried a new product today IGK No More Blow High Speed Air Dry Spray 6.3 oz/ 293 mL

I have thick wavy hair that takes between 4-8 hours to completely air dry. Two hours after using this product my hair is mostly dry. I followed the instructions to towel dry my hair then I sprayed this product in sections then massaged it Into my hair. I then kept on the Aquis turban for about half an hour. Afterwards to used Deva Curl Wavemaker and Strong Hold Gel. Just the rear is slightly damp but I think I may have a new staple in my hair routine.

@Loretta55 That does sound nice. That's another way my hair has changed. I used to have wet hair for 8 hours or whatever ridiculous time but now it's dry in 2-3 which is a pleasant change. Let us know how it goes with continued use. 🙂

The instructions are a little different from what I am used to @ShortErica . I always put my stylers into wet hair but with this product stylers are added once Hair is mostly dry. I have no complaints about the end results. I thought that there was a chat with IGK a couple of years ago that I will search for on BIC.

BTW I have been growing my hair longer for a ponytail which is very flattering on me. I am very happy with my Invisibobile.

@Loretta55 also I'd love to see an updated hair pic with your extra length!

@Loretta55 That's great. I like the invisibobble for my hair when I'm sleeping but it doesn't hold it how I like in the day...my hair will pull it down which is interesting since my hair is fine and not thick. Hopefully others with similar hair can take advantage of all of your knowledge.

I’m SO sorry for the icky picture, but I have to know if anyone else has experienced this with their Deva shampoo. It refuses to liquefy, and I’m a little grossed out but also intrigued! 

A13E0F1B-DEB2-45DC-AF62-922AB814A897.jpeg

I've never seen this in shampoo, how strange. Curious to see what the explanation is going to be. Maybe you will have to contact Deva! @tastelikewater 

@tastelikewater this is shampoo? Not gel? Which version is it? I have not experienced that but will be trying low poo again and will let you know if after sitting around mine have changed to that.

@ShortErica It’s the One Delight shampoo. Strange, right?

Very strange @tastelikewater. Have you searched anywhere else online to see if others have had this problem?

@ShortErica I found one Reddit thread about it, but the poster bought theirs on Amazon, so that could be a separate issue. I went on Deva’s live chat, but the rep wouldn’t tell me more without a copy of my receipt and lot number.

That seems a bit excessive of Deva. Couldn't they look up your order through other identification? And if it is a known issue, just say something as opposed to requiring a lot number. Let me know when you find out more @tastelikewater 

783 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos145
  • 20181120_111654.jpg
  • 20181120_111749.jpg
  • A "good" day: Delight s&c, WaveMaker, Amika gel.
  • 20181122_195439.jpg
  • 45953559-A911-4CE7-9251-2B7B2D50E504.jpeg
  • 0D5A6526-A320-4820-915E-661BEAD0D8F2.jpeg
  • 20181126_132138.jpg
  • 20181126_132142.jpg
  • 20181126_132131.jpg
  • 20181126_132118.jpg
  • 3F1ACBDD-5905-4DED-88A5-28E354193400.jpeg
  • 5DE4FB2F-050E-4AB3-BCC6-F341FDBE9873.jpeg
  • 10698395_10153310875226111_5504507754087887955_n.jpg
testing