cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Curls & Coils
|

Ride the WAVE with me

Hey all,

My hair was a beautiful 3B my teen and college years. After issues with hormones and kids I have only wave left. It is frustrating not knowing how to style your hair anymore. My hair is now 2B, 2C would be an excellent day.

I plan to have a no-buy for makeup for one year (started Nov 2018) and focus on finding the right hair products. I want to take the process gradually and give things time.

I started using Devacurl in Spring 2018. I had low-poo, one condition, and arc angel gel. My hair looked and felt like straw and was not getting any curl back so I stopped using all three products.

In October I chopped off a lot of hair for donation and hoped to get some bounce back. The stylist (Deva certified) recommended no-poo, one condition, coconut styling cream, and b-leave in gel. The routine was okay but I wanted more out of my hair.

Over the past week I changed my styling product to arc angel gel. I know, I know, the stylist and others have already said it was too heavy for my hair. I just wanted to experiment and find what product caused my hair to turn to straw in the spring. Arc angel seems to be in the clear. But since it isn't helping with any curl, I will pass it on to my 3C/4A mom.

I plan to resume the last routine and see how it goes or if it still seems lackluster. My one condition is almost out but I have a one condition delight. I want to see how my hair reacts to this.

I also have samples of Decadence. I believe it will likely be too heavy but it is time to find what works and what doesn't.

So here begins my hair journey. Hoping to either learn to ride the waves or return to curl.

Re: Ride the WAVE with me

@bakeamuffin I'm definitely going to try it out this week. Your hair is making me jealous now 😉 I just ordered the Phillip Kingsley Elastizicer, which I've been wanting to try for a while. Have you heard of it?

You’re so sweet @makeitup305

I haven’t heard of it it before, but with a quick google search I am enticed! 

You’ll have to keep us posted about it! 💗 

Your hair looks so nice @bakeamuffin. I will have to share a picture. I feel like I used to be able to style my hair similarly maybe a few years ago and it has lost curl and wave even more since then. I have been going from having long hair to cutting for donation to then growing out again. So I will definitely want to use you as a resource when my hair gets longer.

DEVACURL - WAVE MAKER™ Touchable Texture Whip is on my list to try. When did you start using Olaplex. I think I've seen other people post about it and was curious. I really appreciate all the details you've shared and may need to try some during this next year.

2014 - more curly and a super good hair day

10698395_10153310875226111_5504507754087887955_n.jpg

2015 - more wavy and at least where I'd like to be again

Capture2.PNG

@ShortErica I’ve been using Olaplex for about 10 months, it’s really

made a difference in how strong my hair is so it’s grown nicely over the last year. I also notice that my hair is

more wavy/curly than before and I think that has to do with its health and moisture level, but I also stopped breastfeeding about a year

ago after being pregnant and/or nursing for the past 5 years and I think that time to regulate my hormones and everything again helped too. 

I hope you’ll find some tricks that works to help enhance your waves and curls! It looks like this thread is already filling up with some great tips 😊

@bakeamuffin So pretty!  I bookmarked this post for when I finally decide to try to wear my hair wavy/curly again.  I've been flat ironing for years and years!

I hope some of my tips will work for you @greeneyedgirl107! It always feels like such a win to find products and techniques that work 😊 I’m going to try the DEVACURL - B'LEAVE-IN™ Miracle Curl Plumperto see how it compares to the DEVACURL - WAVE MAKER™ Touchable Texture Whip

@bakeamuffin Still in awe of your hair. 

You’re so sweet @SportyGirly125! 💗☺️ 

Ride the WAVE with me

This is my hair, it can be pretty finicky at times, but I have gotten it to behave. I have tried Davines, DevaCurl, and Shea Moisture. out of the three my clear winner is Shea Moisture. In the summer I find it needs to be washed once or twice a week, but likes conditioning every other day. It also dislikes gel in the summer, so I use the Shea Moisture curl enhancing smoothie on it. In winter my hair likes to be washed every other day and it likes gel. It isn't super picky between DevaCurl and Shea Moisture gels. To dry my hair likes it when I plop it. I put product in when it is soaking wet and then scrunch it and wrap it in a towel until it is dry. When sleeping I put it up in a buff to protect the curls and reduce frizz. It also hates being long, my ideal length is the one below. when it is like this it is super easy to style, when it is longer I have to struggle with it.

Beautiful curls @ChescaCat! ❤️

Ooo I am so hoping to get my curls to look like yours @ChescaCat What specific gels do you use? The stylist recommended DEVACURL - SUPERCREAM® Coconut Curl Styler and DEVACURL - B'LEAVE-IN™ Miracle Curl Plumper. I just don't think creams are for me. I am still giving it a true go but want to figure out what other products to consider for styling. I do the same of applying product to soaking wet hair and wrapping in a hair towel though for years I just used t-shirts. Also any info on how your front curls are cut would be appreciated. I think I need a bit more hair enhancement around my face. Thanks!

What is a buff @ChescaCat? Your curls are beautiful BTW.

You look so beautiful @ChescaCa! Your curls have so much life and look so soft, very pretty!! 

@ChescaCat I love your hair. It's gorgeous. Glad you've founda a routine that works.

@ChescaCat Your curls are gorgeous!!!!

My hair isn't super curly and on the wavier side but I've been using Devacurl for over 2 years and it's one of the best ones I've found to keep the wave. I started with Delight, tried the Original, and then the Decadence. Even though they said it was going to be too heavy, my favorite conditioner is the Decadence because my hair is pretty thick and almost to my waist. However, my favorite shampoo is the Delight. I wash my hair every 3 days give or take and the large bottles last me almost a year, which is great. I've noticed that whenever I alternate with other shampoos or conditioners I feel like my hair needs to be washed sooner, even if they're sulfate free. I've liked both the Melt into Moisture and Deep Sea Repair masks. I've used the Buildup Buster but I didn't feel like it was a must for me. My favorite styling products are the Super Cream and the Set It Free. I liked the Decadence Leave In but I only had a sample size so I couldn't completely make up my mind. I've been really wanting to try the Wash Day Wonder and Wave Maker but there's a ton of hair product I need to get through first. 

I tried Ouidad but I didn't like it, I ended up giving it away to a friend. I've tried some stuff from Amika but I didn't like the smell so I haven't picked it up again. I tried SheaMoisture but only the shampoo and conditioner, but I thought it was nice and it's free of most yucky stuff. I'll post a picture of my hair soon, though it needs a trim 🙂

Thanks for your opinions @makeitup305 and sharing a picture of your hair - super helpful! My hair is pretty fine so I think that's where we may differ with product prefers. What about the Ouidad didn't you like? I actually just stopped a lady in Ulta last month who had hair I am hoping to get my hair to look like and she used Devacurl shampoo and conditioner but Ouidad gel. I will have to see if Decadence is too heavy or if it will be a pleasant surprise like your experience.

@ShortErica I didn't think the Ouidad did much for me. It might work better for you since your hair is thinner and shorter so it won't weigh it down. 

I think I will try it sometime just to see. There just are so many different options out there, it's overwhelming!

Wash Day Wonder melts my tangles @makeitup305. Use it before washing your hair. I notice much less hair loss since I am using it. Do you diffuse your hair or let it dry naturally? 

6 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos145
  • 20181120_111654.jpg
  • 20181120_111749.jpg
  • A "good" day: Delight s&c, WaveMaker, Amika gel.
  • 20181122_195439.jpg
  • 45953559-A911-4CE7-9251-2B7B2D50E504.jpeg
  • 0D5A6526-A320-4820-915E-661BEAD0D8F2.jpeg
  • 20181126_132138.jpg
  • 20181126_132142.jpg
  • 20181126_132131.jpg
  • 20181126_132118.jpg
  • 3F1ACBDD-5905-4DED-88A5-28E354193400.jpeg
  • 5DE4FB2F-050E-4AB3-BCC6-F341FDBE9873.jpeg
  • 10698395_10153310875226111_5504507754087887955_n.jpg
testing