Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Curls & Coils
|

Easily weighed down curly 3A hair that once I got cut shorter seems to have lost curl?

I wash everyday. Do I need to do like a buildup remover shampoo? Also, styling product recommemdations forIMG_7259.jpgIMG_8259 (1).jpg bringing back my curl after my cut. I want to go witj a gel..Thank you!

Re: Easily weighed down curly 3A hair that once I got cut shorter seems to have lost curl?

I have longer 3b hair, but when I used to have shorter hair from cutting off the damaged ends, I discovered that the mixed chicks line works wonders to hydrate and define curls. I use the leave in conditioner and the curl sculptor, although they do have other gels and styling products available. I would get the small travel sizes to see what would work best.

Re: Easily weighed down curly 3A hair that once I got cut shorter seems to have lost curl?

@Jbird1999 Is you hair thick, thin etc? I have thick curls and did chop a lot off; had to tweek my products and method for shorter hair. Curls don't like to be washed daily, I do 2x week max. Microfiber towel to blot. Try not to disrupt the natural pattern when washing and adding products. Depending on your hair thickness, depends if gel is appropriate..it may not be enough.

I have hard water, so Redken cream shampoo, not every wash just to remove buildup or Redken bonder pre shampoo, 1x week when hair is feeling drier,

then an intenser conditioner. Apply products wet hair: loose shake rake, scrunch, plop. Products I use vary, i.e. Bumble and bumble curl creme, Shea Moisture smoothie, Deva Curl creme, Keratin Complex infusion therapy.

There's a whole subreddit, reddit website, r/curlyhair has lots of info and sidebar has recommendations.

Hey TrysBeautyItems,

Well, my hair is not thin or thick - in the middle - but the strands I was told by a stylist, are thin. Looks like too much washing is destroying the curl pattern - thank you for your insight! I feel like I must wash to regain the curl pattern and remove product - not a fan of washing with conditioner, either. I like using mask treatments, too! Should I just rinse out product with water instead of shampooing daily? I'm lucky if I have enough style to work with second day hair and if so I use a dry spray texturizer. Have you tried a dry texturizering product? I've tried one by Garnier (not much of of fan of the line) and Hask Hawaiian Sea Salt Dry Texturizing Spray on second day hair. My fine strands seem to work well with a product such as this on second day hair, esp since it's already dry. All the creams you mentioned I think I've used and they weigh my hair down. It's about a 3A. My process now is aquage defining gel, using the method you suggested and then a water-based spray I just got from curly girl web site I believe, called Bella Curls Coconut Water Repleshing Treatment Mist. I also stopped applying product right after washing. I've been wrapping it in microfiber towel, drying for longer than I probably should like 15 mins. Then doing the gel, raking, scrunching and shaking at roots like you said with my head up. After dry, I remove cast with the mist.??? If you are so inclined to respond back that it's very kind of you...I'll keep trying and I'm going to find a way to TRY to not shampoo everyday. Maybe I should wrap my hair in one of those satin things??

Lots of Love,

Jbird1999

3 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 Hearts Given
  • 3 Contributors
Photos2
  • IMG_7259.jpg
  • IMG_8259 (1).jpg
testing