Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Brand Loyal
|

Bobbi Brown Thread

The Bobbi Brown thread.  Bobbi Brown was the first brand that got me excited about makeup.  So I'll always have a soft spot for BB.  And now Sephora has the amazing 25 year year palette.

Note, the holiday lip shade is sold out on Nordstrom.  I'm going to be watching for it on Sephora's site.

bobbi.jpg

Re: Bobbi Brown Thread

@TraceyEB   I LOVE Pink Sapphire!  Thanks for the info.

You probably would like this @Ispend2much6 , it’s very pretty. I saw them last week. Rare ruby is very rusty however. Reminded me of BB Burnt Red a lot. 

@Sunnysmom   I'm sure; there are very few Bobbi Brown lippies I don't like.

They def work well for you @Ispend2much6 ! 🥰I love the comforting creaminess of them! Wished ruby was cooler but alas it is not so money saved at least! And I have Parisian Red from before so that’s good. 😀

@Sunnysmom, thanks for posting about Rare Ruby. The new shades sold out on Selfridges and Nordstrom online, leaving Parisian Red that many of us have.

@Ispend2much6, that shade is stunning! A definite buy!

@Ispend2much6, that shade is stunning! A definite buy!

Re: @Ispend2much6, that shade is stunning! A definite buy!

@TraceyEB   Okay, if you say so. 🙂

My first bobbi brown palette arrived broken. Bought at sephora online, shipped by ups free rouge ground. I was refunded. I am not too sad, it is not vegan, has carmine, a dye from bugs. But it has sold out. So I have to wait for another deal next season. Oh well. It wasn't meant to be. They should pack them tighter in smaller boxes.My first bobbi brown palette arrived broken. Bought at sephora online, shipped by ups free rouge ground. I was refunded. I am not too sad, it is not vegan, has carmine, a dye from bugs. But it has sold out. So I have to wait for another deal next season. Oh well. It wasn't meant to be. They should pack them tighter in smaller boxes.

These are still available in some stores @KomediAnne ! Let me know if you need any help finding one, I’m sure a store would send it out to you and if not I will be happy to also! 🤗🥰

@KomediAnne, oh my, I've never seen a palette arrive with pans obliterated! I wish retailers would do a better job with packaging. Glad Sephora refunded your money. I hope this experience doesn't dissuade you from trying this brand again.

I bought several other bobbibrown products to try the same week. I actually like the sword brow pencil in mahogany, it is refillable, eco friendly. that was cool. i got an oil cleanser, a black mascara, and a three pan empty palette with mirror. I bought one item on the brand website and got a beautiful free gift box with tissue paper. the other eye set "defining moment" was from qvc. I think BB is expensive. It's now Estee Lauder. I don't like that ingredients are not listed online and forthcoming. I am unsure if the brushes are vegan synthetic hair or animal. I will be buying Beach fragrance next, as that is clearly marked as vegan. I just want to sample it in store first to make sure it's lovely. I also want to buy a product called moon juice that represses palettes with a foam and a tamper to see if I can restore broken powders, it is at ulta online only for $15. I have a 20% off code so I will pick that up soon. I will experiment with a $1 item first, like an la colors pressed powder, to see if it leaves any residue. I am not going to replace this BB palette, It has carmine. It was available full price on the brand site. I just liked the luxe packaging. I will be buying more of the brow colors. refills are great for reducing waste. I will be watching BB youtube tutorial videos this year. I swatched the pot liner... I have that in black. It also has carmine, bummer. That is crushed female bugs, not a fan. But it does apply better than covergirl pot liner. Bobbi Brown Long-Wear Smudge-Proof Gel Eyeliner Espresso Ink Overall I do think BB is a luxury brand, but not vegan friendly so I am more into KVD or ELF. I would buy more BB but it's pricey, so the bundles and GWP are where the values are. bobbi brown brow pencil in mahogany and ink pot liner in black, first impression (no other products)bobbi brown brow pencil in mahogany and ink pot liner in black, first impression (no other products)

@KomediAnne, I'm glad you're able to find some BB products that work well for you. I enjoy many of the products you received to sample. I use their 3, 4, and 6-pan customizable palettes for favourite eyeshadow and blush shades. The eyebrow shade mahogany looks natural on you as does the eyeliner. I'm glad the eyebrow product is refillable. I like BB pot eyeliner. BB is pricey though I tend to buy it on sale or, a lot of the time, at the CCO where a discount of 50% or more is typical. I've seen the Beach fragrance at my local CCO. BB corrector is part of my daily routine and I like BB foundation formulas, so I stock up at the CCO when I see my shades in stock. Estee bought BB in 1995; Bobbi herself left in 2016. I think the brand has improved since she left while staying true to its identity. My concern for the brand was when Marc Reagan left for Hourglass. Yet, BB continues to innovate and I've been pleased with the direction and quality of its products, especially in recent years. There was a time when I wouldn't touch a BB eyeshadow palette. BB brushes are now mostly synthetic but expensive (there are higher quality brushes for equal to or less than the same prices). Nordstrom includes bristle information in their description of BB brushes. My two holy grail brushes are synthetic - the Full Coverage Foundation brush (for liquid and cream foundation, blush, etc.) and the Full Coverage Touch Up brush (for corrector and concealer). Buy on sale, at a CCO, or when GILT has a BB promo. Good luck with your palette repair and sampling the Beach fragrance!

@TraceyEB  In what way do you think the brand has improved after Bobbi left? I have no opinion one way or the other as I didn’t follow the turn of events much. I am just curious.
 Bobbi Brown is the first brand that introduced me to makeup, I had never done makeup till then except for what a makeup artist did on me on wedding day. Yup... makeup was bad in my family, it ruined your skin and only women who were shallow and not intelligent used the makeup 😳. Don’t ask 😄!!!

back on topic..... I saw her book somewhere in the library and read it, liked the philosophy (minimal makeup enhancing person’s natural beauty) and then their long wear compact foundation was my holy grail until they changed the formula (also probably I got older so foundations in general don’t work for me I.e. make me look older, create lines when I don’t have much, highlight texture and pores in bad way) so just curious. 

I think the brand has improved since she left while staying true to its identity”

@naturalooks15, I felt there were a number of years when the brand had increasingly inconsistent quality, especially in its seasonal collections, and there was a view that the brand repetitive and bland. In addition, eyeshadow palettes were problematic - poor pigmentation, certain formulas fast to hardpan, an overuse of neutral shades, and repetition. As regular BB customer, I stopped buying them eyeshadow palettes altogether and was quite selective in what I purchased. I started exploring other brands. In the last couple of years, I started using words like innovative, creative, pigmented to describe BB releases. There seems to be a reinvestment, expansion, and renewal of the brand noticeable to me in more recent years: multiple new lines of Luxe lipsticks, new Crushed lipsticks and gloss, new Luxe eyeshadow line, new sparkle cream eyeshadow sticks, varieties of Nude on Nude eyeshadow palettes and a new foundation and concealer formula. It may be with any long-tenured brand that there are periods of creative highs and lows. I find that the brand that seemed stuck, now seems renewed, creative and current.        

Thanks @TraceyEB  you are right, that happens with major changes in big corp and could be positive or negative. Good that it is positive for this brand. 

Let me know if you know or like any of their foundations that  are good for mature skin (some texture, big pores, pigmentation, some fine lines here & there). 

@naturalooks15, I have used a good many of BB's foundations. I have a CCO nearby, so once I'm matched to a shade, I can replenish from the CCO when my shades are in stock or try a different formula due to the CCO's steep discount. I have mature, combination skin, some texture, pores, periodic redness and fine lines and a few deep ones. I've used the Skin Foundation SPF 15 foundation and find it suits many complexions, giving some glow and light yet buildable coverage. I really like the Intensive Skin Serum Foundation, especially in the winter months when the skin can be drier. I find it gives a healthy glow to the skin, has a silky texture, and provides medium+ coverage. If I have some redness, I can supplement it with the Skin Foundation stick to those areas where I need more coverage. On days when my redness flares, I reach for the Skin Long-wear Weightless Foundation, a matte foundation that provides full coverage. I first purchased it to combat high humidity in the summer, and now use it all year long. It's best to use on well hydrated skin, where dryness isn't an issue and the one foundation where you will want to ensure it doesn't feel or look drying on your skin. I use the Foundation Stick in a flexible way - for touchups, to add additional coverage, to use after the gym, on an overnight trips, and on those days when I need quick application. The formula is emollient and coverage is what you build it to be; it's worry-free to through in a bag and go. BB foundations have a yellow undertone to them though it hasn't been an issue for me. I like that I am the same shade across BB's foundation formulas. As with any foundation, I recommend getting samples to try at home and see how it looks and wears. BB's website has a foundation guide that gives helpful information about the various formulas. Look for the Foundation Guide when you click to select any foundation. Let me know if you find a formula that works for you!

Thank you for detailed response @TraceyEB  I will keep these tips in my mind when I try next BB foundation.

Spotted NEW Spring 2020 release - Bobbi Brown Crushed Oil-Infused Lip Gloss available now at Sephora online and for pre-sale at Bobbi direct. Description of product below; they're supposed to be sheer. The gloss shades that begin with Yara are limited edition with LE packaging below.

Image4140604225227378701.jpg

Image3779705412195894369.jpg

6DFBF6C2-12B3-4067-9E1C-FF307C2BC6F9.png

Nice freebie today with $100 order plus 30% off for BB club members. 

Did anybody try the new luxe eyeshadows? I haven’t seen anyone talk about them and they look beautiful!

@makeitup305, I have not. I'd like to see the two vibrant shades in person. Opal Moonstone looks lovely.

9 Replies
testing