Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

PLEASE HELP MY HAIR IS SEVERLY MATTED AND ALMOST DREADED IT SEEMS

my mom and me spent two hours trying to get this knot out i have severe depression so i don’t brush my hair ever or really maintain my looks anymore like doing makeup because i’ve just been depressed we usedshampoo kopari leave in conditioner maui conditioner warm olive oil from greece it was my papous he made it and it won’t come out i don’t know what to i’m literally crying i don’t want to cut it!! i went kind of crazy in 2013 and shaved my head and it’s taken so long to grow out and i am so sad please someone help

Re: PLEASE HELP MY HAIR IS SEVERLY MATTED AND ALMOST DREADED IT SEEMS

Im a hairdresser that specializes in detangling and would love to help ya get that out ! Idk where you’re located but I’m in CT! If that isn’t too far from you feel free to reach out to me @backedbybeauty on Instagram 

Where in CT are you? I need help

Where in CT are you?

Where in CT please?

I’m located in Waterbury,CT 

Aw, I'm in Chicago. 😣

Lots, and lots of shine spray! It makes the hair extremely slick, use a wide tooth comb to detangle hair. Start at the ends, and work your way up. 

I know this was posted a few yrs ago but this is for the one's who are seeking help now and for the future.

I have extremely long hair and had many, many!

times that I knots but not as severe as the one that I had recently...I had gotten sick and took a shower...I had no energy to deal with my hair and had used some shampoo with no conditioner...Oh my that was a horrible mistake....I woke up and had a giant knot in my hair...So I kept on letting it go since I had no energy to try and take it out....BIG MISTAKE!

(It became knotted and matted)

Here's what I did....

Do not wet your hair...Hair shrinks when wet and that makes the knots tighter....I stumbled on using WD-40. ...Yes it WORKS! 

Also you need to be patient....

Saturate the  knotted hair and let it soak in for at least 10 minutes or more, get your fingers or comb or both (I used a small knitting needle) and gently pull out the knots...Later when it's all out wash your hair with clarifying shampoo.

Hope this helps for you. ❤

Anonymous Insider

I don't know if this will be seen being the post is pretty dated; but I hope so. Firstly my immediate thought was, a small sense of relief. Knowing that I am not the only person who is or has dealt with this. I have Bipolar 2 disorder, which leaves me with near constant severe depression among other mental health issues like panic disorder. The toll it takes on you is immeasurable. But back to the point. My issues have caused me to careless about my own appearance. Which has caused my hair to be completely matted. It has been for 3 years. I have many times wanted to just shave it off. Because it is not just one place matted it is all over almost to my scalp. I am super reluctant to just cut it off and start over for 2 reasons. 1. I have naturally curly hair. Which makes short hair even shorter.  2. I am a Plus-Sized Girl who's been "Blessed" with round chubby cheeks, passed down through my Irish Heritage, even at my thiniest moments. So there's no short hair styles that will be flattering in any way. As a single Mom of 3 I certainly can not afford to cut it and then get extentions or anything. Needless to say this dilemma has done nothing but deepen my depression. All part of the nightmarish cycle of depression. I have become more isolated than ever because I am so embarrassed and insecure about it. I don't want to attend any public or private (Family & Friends) events. I feel so much shame it's humiliating. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions I can try? It would be extremely appreciated. 

Spoiler

Anonymous Insider

making an account just for this lol but if you wanna dm me on instagram maybe i could help find a haircut you would like??

Hi @Anonymous.  I've dealt w/this a few times.  The first time was when I was staying w/my crazy mother, and the stress just made me want to sleep all the time and not have the strength to deal w/anything.  It was also summer, and I had been growing my hair out to donate to locks of love, but I got so sick of it that I just put it up in a clip and left it there for a while, lol.  And when I finally went to take it down...well... 🤤 it was kind of all stuck together (made worse by summer and sweating).  I looked online and there's a lot of stuff that tells you what to do and even things to buy or use (you could even go to a salon to have them help), but basically, like a lot of things, it just takes trial and error.  You can read the things and use the things they tell you, but it can still seem like it's not gonna work...but you just have to keep going, work in small sections.  It can take hours, or even days or weeks (If you're doing it by yourself) since you have to work in small sections and your arms get tired and you get a headache from all the pulling.  Basically they tell you to start at the bottom, brush the ends and just keep going up...but I found that doesn't really work, cuz it's all in clumps that you have to pull them apart from the side before you can even be able to comb up, as they tell you to.  So it's mostly just pulling the clumps apart before you can really get in there and brush each section.  Oh, and a lot of it will break off anyway - partly cuz you just get tired and annoyed and want to just get it over with.  If you had someone else to help it would be faster, like at a salon like I mentioned.  But it might be better just to cut it off.  I've been thinking about cutting my hair for a while, since having to deal w/that a few times is the only thing that made me actually brush my hair so I don't have to deal w/that, but it gets to be a pain and I hardly go anywhere or see anyone, so whyyyyy do I need all this damn hair?  and the upkeep!?  In the winter I just wear a hat anyway.  You could also wear a wig.

Urs is nothing my hair was much much more matted than urs I just did hair spa in salin and my hair is so silky and nice now. I recommend u to talk to the salon

Where did you go. My twin sister has been severely depressed and her hair is gotten really matted and dreaded. We gave thick curly hair and I've tried to help but I can't get it out and we have reached out to multiple salons and either get no response or we get told it's gotta be cut super short. Please help me help her.

Anonymous Insider

I cannot believe i find real people going through and living their lives just like me. One day i woke up very sick , and even more depressed.  I just couldn't seem to pull myself out of it. It only took 4-5 days before i noticed my very long hair was VERY VERY MATTED. I freaked out and laid back down in horror i felt helpless and even more embarrassed! Its been about a yr now and i had a friend try to help me a few months ago. She very quickly gave up and i locked down and saw that she was chopping into my hair with a comb you use to shed sheep. Needless to say it is ALOT WORSE. I have sense gotten alot more depressed.  I dont remember what its like to live life anymore. I am now addicted to xanax, and my family took my baby. He calls someone else mommy. And doesnt know that i exist. All because of a few bad days when i couldn't find the strength to get out of bed. If there is anybody out there that understands, or can help please contact me. I need to live again.  thank you to anyone taking their time to read this

Im Chris and I truly feel for you cuz I can relate!! At least to the feeling of loss and wanting to live again. You arent alone, I swear. Please let me know if you ever found a solution! ...

Pacience, that is what u gonna need most. With brush or a comb u will work just the way it is piece by piece. Will work. 

Hi my name is Jackie and I do understand you. I am an recovering addict.  First thing that u should do is to find a phychiatrist and  a therapist that works with addicts. Find a 12 steps NA or AA or CA meeting to go to. Get on your knees and pray ,asking your higher power for guidance and strength . U will be ok. Everything will get better believe me.😗

Anonymous Insider

Hey, I would say just piece it apart with your fingers but this was from 2018..So, whatever happened with the knot? If I may ask?

Anonymous Insider

Use a conditioner with a brush and take your time! Also lotion helps ( Weird but true0 Good luck!

Hi, do u know this from it happining too you? I have one almost exactly like this huge knot, and dont want to cut my hair, Please help me if u can

@steffypoox3 This is exactly how my hair had become 3 months ago. no strength or time and then trying to use hospital shampoo cap made it like this. After that it stayed like this for few months while I was dealing with serious health issues and in & out of hospital. Once I started to feel better & gained some strength, I just took small sections of it and finger combed (some with coconut oil somewithout) and braided the detangled portion so it doesn’t become tangled again. It took me some time & effort but I was able to detangle all of it.  

I did not have strength to sit in the shower & detangle there but I did slather on a lot of conditioner and finessed off, let the hair dried before finger combing.

This is what I personally did but I am not an expert.

Conversation Stats
Photos9
  • Don't even know where to start...
  • vlcsnap-2021-10-23-04h52m40s504.png
  • 44AE5322-5E4D-4E16-B047-385149820E3C.jpeg
  • 9C2EC92D-3033-4B5C-99EC-C82FB2744124.jpeg
  • BF99EB74-7458-4379-B597-26D16F18C88A.jpeg
  • 20220525_163948.jpg
  • 20220525_163928.jpg
  • Screenshot_20220615-210430_Messages.jpg
testing