Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

PLEASE HELP MY HAIR IS SEVERLY MATTED AND ALMOST DREADED IT SEEMS

my mom and me spent two hours trying to get this knot out i have severe depression so i don’t brush my hair ever or really maintain my looks anymore like doing makeup because i’ve just been depressed we usedshampoo kopari leave in conditioner maui conditioner warm olive oil from greece it was my papous he made it and it won’t come out i don’t know what to i’m literally crying i don’t want to cut it!! i went kind of crazy in 2013 and shaved my head and it’s taken so long to grow out and i am so sad please someone help

Re: PLEASE HELP MY HAIR IS SEVERLY MATTED AND ALMOST DREADED IT SEEMS

Hi hun @steffypoox3

I'm a stylist and a former salon owner, please listen to me. 

What you are experiencing is not uncommon. Depression is a beast that takes many forms and self care is usually something that takes the back burner. 

Please google salons in your area or go to your local mall and ask to speak to the head stylist or salon owner. Generally the receptionist will not understand and may book incorrect. 

If you cannot go into a salon, please DO NOT WET YOUR HAIR before attempting to detangle. This is the worst thing to do. Hair shrinks when it's wet and knots get tighter which will cause severe breakage. 

Pick up some Biolage Hydrasource Detangling Solution and slather your hair in it section by section. This conditioner has a very slippery texture that will help you guide your brush through. 

Hi,

I saw your reply to other people's posts and had a few questions for you. I have been so severely depressed that I would get out of the shower and just put it up in a messy bun without brushing it. I have really long thick hair and now it has become so matted that it's almost at my scalp. This had made me feel even worse about myself and I have become so isolated because I am so embarrassed. I wanted ask you what I should do. I want to book a salon appointment to have it taken care of, but I am terrified they will just cut it all off! Is there a specific hair treatment I should be asking them for? I have tried to get the knots out myself, I have used oils and a ton of conditioner to try and loosen it up, but NOTHIN WORKS. Please Help! If anyone knows any salons that I can go to, or knows of a specific hair treatment that I should ask for when I book my consultation, I would greatly appreciate any advice or help someone is willing to give me.

I’m going through the same thing I looked and search, I have read what feels like a million and one different things.  There are people that specialize in this.  Look up tangledhairtechs.com, if you can go to them or whatever they have a product you can purchase.  I hope this helps I emailed them and they have seen it all.  YOU DONT HAVE TO CUT YOUR HAIR!  If you want to cut it that’s fine but you don’t have to cut it because it’s matted.  They are also a faith based company.  

Hey everyone ! I’ve seen quite a few of you reach out saying you’re also experiencing this! It is totally common and understandable. Depression is one hell of a beast and it’s easy to get overwhelmed and not know where to start. I’m a hairdresser who is trying to specialize specifically in dematting and detangling matted hair. If any of you are in the Connecticut area and need some assistance with your hair I’d be thrilled to help out !! You can find my Instagram @backedbybeauty ! Please feel free to reach out with questions concerns etc! You got this ladies ! 

Anonymous Insider

@GG84 

Hi, I took marked note of u being a Professional Hairstylist.  

I have been going through a particular stressful trial, & though, Glory to God, I am not depressed about it, I have unfortunately neglected proper hair care for about 2 and a half to 3 weeks..and now find ONE SIDE of my head/hair..DISTRESSINGLY MATTED.  Interestingly enough, the other side of my head and hair are pretty much in tact..but the mat on the one side is EPIC.  Brushing it is doing absolutely nothing; the mat is actually hard/hardened, so it's like the brush is just useless at this point.

I have taken note of & recorded your Redken product suggestions, & I REALLY would MUCH prefer any type of possible DIY Solution.

Question, what about Coconut oil?  I do know that it has MANY uses, and I have heard from others that it has worked wonders, for many issues, including hair traumas and issues.

@Anonymous 

WD-40 is going to help you more then Coconut Oil. No, I’m not kidding just be careful not to spray in your eyes or mouth obviously but spray into the mat/knot and work your way through it. You will need a clarifying shampoo after. 

Anonymous Insider

@GG84 

Sorry I meant to include your username in my message 🙂

Anonymous Insider

Wow WD 40..that is EXTREME. 

but so is this hair matt.

Will it not damage my hair?

What about that Biolage Hydrasource detangling conditioner u had mentioned?

Also, do u know what type of brush would be best for this EXTREME Matt? 

Thank u kindly and in advance for your reply 🙂

@Anonymous 

No it will not damage your hair, surprisingly it is skin and hair safe. Trust me on this. 

Hey there, Im sorry youre having a very. bad. hair. day!!  My first thoughts were that if you have someone cut off the ends that are in a bun and then have it tidied up a wee bit then youd have lovely, dark, thick wavy hair. Youll still have plenty of hair left and it would be a whole lot easier to care for. A short shaggy layered hair cut is very fun and attractive!

Its certainly possible though that with a lot of patience youll be able to work the knots out. I dont think there is a magic solution other than going at it slowly over the course of many hours. Perhaps sleep with some deep conditioner on your hair, covered with a shower cap, it may help a little. There is a brush called a wet brush that I find helps de-knot my hair, so this may help also. Just be patient with it! Best wishes. x

RE: Re: PLEASE HELP MY HAIR IS SEVERLY MATTED AND ALMOST DREADED IT SEEMS

i used a wet brush and my hair isn’t in a bun thats the knot 😞

@steffypoox3 Ask a salon for a hydrating  treatment. They should have the proper tools as well.

For home maintenance, Redken bonder - used before shampoo, leave on for 10 minutes on towel-dried hair, 1x week. Extra dryness needs more moisture, protein (karatin) may needed as well. Hard water can also dry out hair.

RE: Re: PLEASE HELP MY HAIR IS SEVERLY MATTED AND ALMOST DREADED IT SEEMS

i’m going to the salon tomorrow i hope they don’t cut all my hair off that hair isn’t in a bun or put up in anyway that’s the knot
Anonymous Insider

Re: RE: Re: PLEASE HELP MY HAIR IS SEVERLY MATTED AND ALMOST DREADED IT SEEMS

so i have pretty much the same thing goin on with my hair but its more on top of my head.its been like this for ALONG time!!! What did you finally end up using and or doing to get the knot out...hopefully not cut it 😞

Anonymous Insider

Hi. The same thing is happening to my hair it's on top of my head so idk what to do......do u mind telling me what happened 

@steffypoox3 I understood your photo.  It does need a lot of hydration/slip to be able to work the knot.

Make sure to voice, repeatedly if needed or repeated back to you- to make sure they understand; do not cut the knot out completely, only cut as necessary and you approve..or whatever you want to say. Good luck.

Anonymous Insider

im going to tell you what helped me.i had awfully matted tangled hair. Im hoping this will help someone else. Yes i suffer from depression, have two major illness, and chronic pain. My hair ended up where i couldnt get a comb or brush through it. I tried oils, creams, conditioners, and nothing worked so in a last ditch effort i ordered a dog hair dematter  comb. It only cuts the tangles and matts. I was able to get all the tangles out using that comb. I dont think i could have gotton them out any other way. I felt so much better getting the matts out. I know it sounds strange using a dog dematter comb but ìt worked wonderfully.

Anonymous Insider

Hello realsis...I'm entering the desperate phase with newly mattered hair situation myself and am wondering if you can recommend a specific comb? Not afraid to go tot the hounds to get help and hopefully save my locks...Thanks!

@Anonymous 

Please don’t use a dog dematter comb - not if you want any hair left. It cuts through the tangles. Please order/pick up Redken All Soft Heavy Cream. Apply to semi damp hair - slather the whole tube on if you need too - it WILL allow you to work your way through the mats and tangles. Order two tubes to be safe. Hairstylist here. 

Anonymous Insider

Thank you GG84!! 🙂

Conversation Stats
Photos9
  • Don't even know where to start...
  • vlcsnap-2021-10-23-04h52m40s504.png
  • 44AE5322-5E4D-4E16-B047-385149820E3C.jpeg
  • 9C2EC92D-3033-4B5C-99EC-C82FB2744124.jpeg
  • BF99EB74-7458-4379-B597-26D16F18C88A.jpeg
  • 20220525_163948.jpg
  • 20220525_163928.jpg