Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

Greasy Hair

Hi everybody! I had a few questions about keeping oily hair/scalp in-check. I personally don't have oily hair but my sister has been struggling with it so I thought I'd ask. I was wondering what products you use and/or what tips/tricks you have. Thanks!

Re: Greasy Hair

You've already gotten some tips and advice below but I thought I'd jump in too @FriendlyGal 

A few things that have helped me with this are also:

1) Washing with warm not hot water. Hot water feels great but it can make oily hair worse.

2) Only use conditioner on hair that is below your ears, everything above and close to the scalp is a no conditioner zone.

3) Rinse and rinse. Before shampooing be sure to spend extra time really soaking your hair. And the same goes with rinsing out your shampoo and conditioner, go extra with the rising to make sure that there no residue left behind. 

4) When you shampoo, work up a good lather and make sure your really washing the back of your neck and behind your ears as well as the rest of your scalp. Gently massaging for at least a full minute or two before you go and do that thorough extra rinse.

Once a week I double shampoo depending on how my hair feels. 

I hope this is helpful for you and your sister @FriendlyGal  💝

@FriendlyGal dry shampoo is a godsend.  I use Klorane dry shampoo (the loose powder version) and I swear by it.  The key is to use it before you notice the oily roots.  I wash on Sunday and by Wednesday morning my roots look oily so I use it Tuesday night.

Lmk if you need application tips.  Good luck!

@FriendlyGal 

Tips and products I use:

1. Shampoo when you feel like you need to.  If you need to Shampoo every day, that is ok!

2. I try to use the fewest products necessary to style my hair.  Choose lighter-weight products designed for fine hair.

3. Use a clarifying shampoo or scrub at least one per week.

4. Shampoo twice and rinse really well.

5. Apply conditioner or mask to ends only.

6. Products that work well for me:

Kérastase Genesis Anti Hair-Fall Hydrating Shampoo 8.5 oz / 250 mL (the one for normal to oily hair).

Bumble and bumble Thickening Volume Shampoo 

Kérastase Energizing Scrub: Purifying Scrub for Oily Scalp 8.5 oz/ 250 mL 

OUAI Detox Shampoo 

Bumble and bumble Don't Blow It Fine Hair Air Dry Styler 5 oz/ 150 mL 

Briogeo Rosarco Milk™ Reparative Leave-In Conditioning Spray Mini 1.75 oz 

Bumble and bumble Prep 8 oz/ 250 mL 

Moroccanoil Moroccanoil Treatment Light Hair Oil for Fine Hair 

Verb Ghost Weightless Hair Oil 

Kérastase Mini Blond Absolu Strengthening Hair Oil for Very Damaged Blonde Hair 1.7 oz/ 50 mL 

7. I do not typically use dry shampoo.

Thank you @Mel231, I will look into these products and techniques!

@FriendlyGal Hey!! I know there's already a reply but if you would like anything else, a salicylic acid scalp treatment pre-wash is really nice to get rid of build up and oil, I like the Inkey List Salicylic Acid Oily Scalp Treatment.

Thank you for the recommendation @floofycatz, I was actually looking at this already.🤣 lol. Great minds think alike I guess. I hope it works!🤞

6 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 10 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
testing