Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

DevaCurl Issues!

I started using DevaCurl No Poo and One Condition in early January and used it until about a week ago. My hair was gorgeous but I wasn't able to get my hair really clean and developed some crazy dandruff which I've NEVER had a problem with before. I also noticed that I was shedding more hair than I was used to and that my hair seemed to be thinning a little. The shedding seem to get worse and that is the main reason that I stopped using it. When I switched back to Ogx coconut curls I was no longer shedding like crazy. Has anyone else had either of these issues while on these products? 

Re: DevaCurl Issues!

Thank you for telling it like it is.

What do you use?

I. Am. In.  Shock.  This is happening to other people too.....????  So, my story is so similar to many of yours.  I've been using only Deva Curl products for over 10 years which is *exactly* how long it's been since my hair started to thinning. Not to brag, but I always had thick curly 2C curls but two-thirds of it has fallen out and what little has grown back is super baby fine due to scalp damage.  It won't stop falling out even though I quit using these products 3 months ago.  I had extensive hormonal testing as well as other blood work to find out the cause but there were never any answers. Alopecia does not run in my family.  I truly believe Deva Curl is the cause that has permanently damaged my scalp. I am so sad because soon I'm going to have to cut it short because it is too thin. 

Before you try anything drastic, have you tried Ouidad's Intense Hydration Mask or the Balancing Rinse?  Both are intensely moisturizing and will probably help restore the health of your hair.

Yup I had the exact same problem. I used to think it was from the lack of washing and DevaCurl marketing would always reassure everyone that "we lose 100 hairs a day". However, now I am using HEAD AND SHOULDERS (of all things) and my hair has never been so healthy. My scalp is healthy and clear of build up.

Also, my edges thinned out TREMENOUSLY while using DevaCurl and I also experience pomade acne on my cheeks, neck, and jawline. My hair was never clean while using DevaCurl. 

I am not one to post bad reviews or comments on anything. But I used DevaCurl for years and spent hundreds of dollars on their products. So seeing these comments about DevaCurl hit me personally. For the last 3 years, Ive been growing out my natural curls, thinking DevaCurl was the holy grail LOL. Nope, my hair is healthy cause I don't use heat and my scalp is healthy not cause of DevaCurl.

Rant Over.

And rest in peace to all my beautiful hairs that fell out thanks to DevaCurl. 

XOXO

Have you tried Ouidad instead?

I don't believe that cleansing conditioners are good for your hair or your scalp. Remember Wen, the original cleansing conditioner? There was a class action lawsuit against Wen due to thousands of people reporting hair loss. See the similarities?

I don't think cleansing conditioners, co-washes and no-poos clean your scalp properly. People use them thinking they are gentle because they don't contain sulfates, but at the same time, they scrub their scalp really hard trying to get it clean causing hair breakage. On top of the physical damage from scrubbing, they end up with clogged hair follicles that lead to hair loss. 

Sulfates are not bad for you if used in small concentrations. They allow you clean your scalp gently without having to scrub super hard. I would recommend switching to a gentle, silicone-free shampoo that contains a small amount of sulfate. Nexuss Clean & Pure Nourishing Detox Shampoo is an excellent option and you can find it at Target. If your hair follicles are super clogged, you may need to alternate with a shampoo with a chemical exfoliant, like salicylic acid, to get rid of the build up. Biolage Salicylic Acid Anti-dandruff Shampoo is a great option for that. 

I hope this helps. 

RE: Re: DevaCurl Issues!

Hi! I lost a lot of hair during my very first shampoo with deva curl No poo shampoo. Because I didn’t want to incorrectly blame the deva curl unless I was absolutely sure, I tried it again and wished I hadn’t as the second time I lost even more hair so clogged pores may definitely be one of the issues but I think there must also be something else about the product that makes it unstable. I have a very sensitive scalp so I absolutely did not scratch at it or rub it hard to get it clean. In fact, with this product it didn’t take much effort to come clean which I found surprising. I’ve used a shampoo bar for several years that’s free of all sulphates, parabens, silicones and other chemicals which cleans my hair well, contains essential oils, coconut oil, jojoba oil and Shea butter. It I helped my hair grow thicker and longer than it had ever been, stopped turning gray and I stopped losing hair until I trialed deva curl. I’m even more thankful for my all natural shampoo bar. There was a not so nice transition period, but it was so well worth it!

Re: RE: Re: DevaCurl Issues!

What's the shampoo bar? 

Did you have this affect on any of their stylers too?? (such as: styling cream, super cream, ultra defining gel, or the b'leave in)

RE: DevaCurl Issues!

I had long hair to my belly button and after switching everything to deva curl I was in denial of my hair loss until my hairdresser pointed out how my hair was shedding super bad and how it was thinking out. It’s been a couple months now and my hair is getting back to normal. Devacurl didn’t work for me and now I’m dealing with the issues it caused. I would just cry because my hair was falling out in big clumps!! Now I just use Olaplex for most my hair needs. Olaplex #3 has been helping with the bonding of my hair. I feel so sad you had to go through this as well.

The same thing happened to me a couple of years ago. I went to a Deva salon in Nashville, TN. After my appointment I purchased the product line that was used. From my 1st time using it at home my hair began shedding in large clumps. I tried it one more wash day and the same thing happened. Once I stopped using the products the clumps of hair ceased from falling out. I informed my stylist at the salon and she told one of the Level 3 stylists who has done my hair there before too. Both said they had never heard of what I had experienced. Of course I'm thinking if the large clumps of hair that came out were that noticeable to me that they had to have seen it when they did my hair. 

RE: DevaCurl Issues!

This is crazy reading these posts! I went “no poo” over 10 years ago and hit the curly girl method HARD! Used all DC products and my hair was ridiculously gorgeous. I’m a redhead and typically shed a lot so I didn’t really think too much about it but I remember thinking damn this is a lot! My stylist at the time commented on increased shedding but just assumed it was normal. She started getting out an extra towel to wipe the hair off her hands after washing my hair!! Gradually my hair started feeling dry and brittle, especially after ArcAngel and whatever the deep conditioner is. I started using new products and once I got rid of all DC products my hair was soft and happy again. Lesson learned!

Re: RE: DevaCurl Issues!

I just heard about this problem with Deva products. My hair has been falling out for years. Which products do you use now?

I highly recommend Ouidad's Intense Hydrating Mask and Vital Curl Balancing Rinse.  Both will help restore the health of your hair.

There's a curly hair influencer who has recently shared about her experience along with a number of others and her video is posted on Youtube. It looks like she has switched to Innersense Organics, but definitely do your research. I haven't tried them yet. This whole mess has me researching like crazy. Here's her video. Good luck

I switched to Innersense shampoo, conditioner, and gel and have been very happy with the products.  

Hi - so glad I found your post and many others about how Deva Curl products ruined my hair !! First it looked good but within 4 months of use my hair became dry , brittle , broom like and was falling out !! I thought something was wrong with my health and started taking hair & skin vitamins and complained to the hair dresser who recommended deva curl to me . She had no idea it was the product that is absolutely horrible!! I spent over $100 on all the products and am now very upset trying to repair my hair ! If anyone has a shampoo they recommend let me know . For now I’m going back to using Quidad and praying my hair grows back thick again & my curls come back . Good luck to you & everyone out there who experienced what I did - I wish we could all sue them !!! 

Ouidad products are great!

Me too! I thought it was menopause but it's Deva Curl products! There's a Facebook group about the issue too. I've emailed Deva Curl to return my products for a refund. Hope they will be responsible enough to do at least a refund. Horrible hair loss! Even my daughter had horrible hair loss. 

I thought the same thing. I have been miserable for 4years with hair loss. 

94 Replies
testing