Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Best Hair Ever
|

DevaCurl Issues!

I started using DevaCurl No Poo and One Condition in early January and used it until about a week ago. My hair was gorgeous but I wasn't able to get my hair really clean and developed some crazy dandruff which I've NEVER had a problem with before. I also noticed that I was shedding more hair than I was used to and that my hair seemed to be thinning a little. The shedding seem to get worse and that is the main reason that I stopped using it. When I switched back to Ogx coconut curls I was no longer shedding like crazy. Has anyone else had either of these issues while on these products? 

Re: DevaCurl Issues!

I always shampooed my hair upside down, so the product would fall on my feet and ankles when I rinsed or whatever.  Well, I broke out in sores and welts all over my feet and ankles in January 2020.  I quit using the products when I figured out they were causing this.  I STILL have welts and sores on my ankles and they STILL itch like crazy.  I have ANOTHER doctor's appointment on Thursday to try to figure out how to get this dermatitis to go away.  The DevaCurl products are crap and I will never use them again - any of them.  

DevaCurl Issues!

I literally started using devacurl a month ago I used the arc angel gel thinking I fixed my curly hair frizz whatever.its been a month and my hair started shedding really bad. I'm literally pulling strands out. never again will i use devacurl. my hair is still damaged and dry I don't know what to do anymore.

I am a guy with curly hair and over the past few years I grew it out because my students challenged me to do it.  When it got long and frizzy someone reccommended devacurl no poo shampoo and the one conditioner.  I noticed hair coming out more in the shower too and wondered if it was normal.  My hair is not very thick to begin with and I was worried that with age it was starting to go.  I have since stopped using it but still use the ultra defining gel.  I have noticed significantly less hair in the shower already.   Still this makes me upset and I hope my hair will regain its former thickness over time.  I am still using DC ultra defining gel.  Anyone experiencing hair loss with that?  At my age I need to encourage growth of my already thin hair.  🙂Before DCBefore DCAfterAfter

I haven't noticed it with DevaCurl styling products including that gel, but I've used them sporadically, only testing out deluxe samples here and there. I think I have used a total of 8 ounces of their various styling products over the past few years. I do regularly use their micellar build-up buster as needed, about once every 6 weeks for the past couple years.

I have had scalp issues arising during this period of my life, so I think a patch test of their products might be a good idea. I also am curious if others have had issues with the styling products. @flynnfinity 

Myself and my daughter have both been experiencing hair loss and thinning and extremely dry scalp and sores from the dryness. I would have never imagined it was the deva curl line. It seemed amazing when we first started using it. I assunes the issues we were slowly starting to experience were from my age and her hitting puberty ect. Definately will stop using this line and see if our hair recovers.

These photos represent my hair on a daily  bases.  My friend posted an article over Deva Curl and I am crushed!! At first I was miffed because I have used the product for seven years and wanted to refute anything negative.  As I am reading the article my jaw drops as all the symptoms described were what I complain about weekly.  It never, not once dawned on me that all of my scalp and hair loss issues were tied to my "healthy" hair product. I went to a doctor years ago discussing the hair loss and he thought it could be menopause symptoms.  I am heart broken to know that while I was trying to help my hair I might have possibly made it worse.  I've used Deva Curl for seven years. When i started my hair was severky damaged from flat irons and my hair dresser recommended DC No Poo. My hair did wonderful and my curls bounced back.  Over the years I have had massive hair loss. I cannot shower without a handful of hair being the end result.  I can use a wide tooth comb while it is wet and deep moisturizing and massive amounts always comes out as well. After my hair dries i can alway, everytime, run my hand through my hair and have long strands coming out. I thought it might be my age. At times i have had pimple like welps come up on my scalp and at times my head starts to itch for days for no reason or so I thought.  I recently decided to try the light lather DC instead of No Poo and these symptoms have gotten worse.  I had to have a good 4-5 inches cut off thinking my hair was broken and it would help with the hand fulls of hair loss. That product has made it worse.   I am so upset right now and to think of the 1000s of dollars I paid to have my hair damage so badly. 

I had the same issue with deva curl no poo

cleanser.  after using it twice, i Noticed lots of hair  loss and my scalp feel really

irritated, it made bumps on my scalp. 

stop using it as soon as possible if you experience the same signs. I’ve started to take zinc to recover the hair loss. It was terrible terrible experience for such an expensive product. 

This is so amazing reading all of this. I started using DC quite a while ago- and experienced some of the same things mentioned in these posts. My current hair stylist classified my hair as THIN. I've never- I mean NEVER had thin hair before. I figured it was age- but now I'm off the DC and it will be interesting to see what changes occur. And I was having a lot of the itchy scalp, had some strage bumps on my scalp and a ton of hair loss- which I've always had quite a bit so I can't say that's because of this line. But the thin hair thing- blew my mind until I started reading abou this.

I had the same exact problems and I thought it was just me. My curl pattern was gone! Out of control frizz. I stopped using devacurl and had to chop it. Just waiting for it to grown now...

Man I hate to admit this because I was a big fan of their products, but I'm having issues with DevaCurl as well. Recently my hair was just looking so dry and limp when using the products, the Ultra Defining gel in particular. And I've been dealing with itchiness and flaking for years. I just thought I'd developed some kind of dermatitis. I even went to a dermatologist and had a prescription steroid mousse to use on my scalp.

I kind of dealt with all that because Deva always made my hair look so great. Until now. So I did a little hunting and found a YouTuber who used Acure hydrating shampoo and conditioner after having the same problems with Deva. It's sulphate and silicone free and ingredients look clean. You can buy it at Ulta, I believe, but I got mine at Whole Foods, about $10 each.

Well, my hair looked amazing afterwards! It was light and clean and fluffy and my curls were popping again. And my scalp wasn't itchy. I'm sitting here 3 days after washing and my scalp isn't crawling like it normally would be (I can't go any longer than that. I need to wash sooner). I also used Curlsmith In-Shower Style Fixer (also from Ulta) to define my curls because I need extra hold (My hair is fine, but I have a fair amount, and I have waves, big curls, small curls... it's everywhere) and they looked better than they had in a long time.

It makes me sad, especially since I just bought some of the big bottles a short while ago, but I just couldn't deal with all the irritation anymore. I'm guessing there's something in Deva that triggers an allergic reaction in me or something. 

Oh no @jozkid ! My scalp is always itchy even prior to using DevaCurl products. Do you still get a DevaCut? I am almost done with my liter sized bottles of No Poo and One Condition. I have not noticed any difference with my hair when I use a hair product which is not a DevaCurl product. 

@Loretta55  I still get Deva cuts. I've got no problem with those, lol!

I used to use BioSilk shampoo and conditioner prior to starting with the whole Deva thing and my scalp was fine. The itchiness and flaking started after using Deva. But I just put it off to aging, weather, etc. And periodically I'd use something different, but I think I'd still use a Deva styler even if I switched out the cleansers. This time I switched out EVERYTHING. It's the Deva, sad to say.

Have you gone to a dermatologist about the itching?

I never thought about mentioning the itchiness to my dermatologist @jozkid . I have had the itchiness for as I can remember.

I’ve been using DevaCurl pretty consistently for around 5 years now and I’ve never had any issues. However, I probably won’t repurchase after I finish my current liters. Some of the side effects I’ve seen in YT videos are pretty scary. Someone I saw online was saying that it’s possible that the formula is unstable and it’s becoming affected by heat in the warehouses and in transit. Who knows. It really sucks because I’ve loved their products for so long.

@makeitup305 

That would only happen upon the introduction of oxygen. I’m safely assuming no one is going around opening and closing the thousands of bottles for fun in the warehouse or in transit. 

Yes. I have used No Poo Original shampoo, One Condition Decedance, Leave-In Conditioner Decedance, SuperCream, and B'Leave-In since August 2019. Since December, I noticed that the side I part my hair, is becoming thin and I can see my scalp. Now I have to add volume to the side of my hair to cover it up. Looks like I have a bald spot. I will now have to start looking for another product to use but I have low porosity hair so heavy creams and butters will not work for me. Does anyone have any suggestions for water-based products? Thanks! 

Try Jessicurl Products. 

Is it only the shampoo and the conditioner? because I bought the hair masks and im scared to use them now, and its wayyy past the due date to return them. 

Me too!  I have several hundred dollars in deva curl products and am scared to use them.  I have lost so much hair!!  I really have a hard time throwing out my two brand new masks and my 3/4 full liters.  I might actually join the class action that I know will happen.  

Hey there...you know, I'd be afraid and would run from DevaCurl products. First of all, the list of ingredients in most of their products, esp. DIAZOLIDINYL UREA, is horrendous! Every one talked so much about TEA (an ingredient in Eco Style Gel and many many many other products, unfortunately) and it being an irritant and/or the possibility of it causing cancer but hello, most of the Deva Curl products contain DIAZOLIDINYL UREA which is known for the same! It is a formaldehyde releaser which can cause cancer, among many other things (irritation to hair, lungs, etc.). Most people have an allergy/sensitivity to this ingredient similar to the sensitivity people have with PPD (the main toxicant in hair dye). 

One other thing, the brand enforces the "Curly Girl Method". I would NEVER follow this. It is ABSOLUTELY NOT a good practice to NOT use shampoo on hair and only co-wash. Not removing build up and impurities from hair and scalp only increases any issues hair may have such as breakage, dryness, products being resistant and shedding. SMH @ DevaCurl and the Curly Girl Method.

Btw, I have natural, 3c/4a curls, past the middle of my back. NOT courtesy of the method or products mentioned above.

94 Replies