Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Best Hair Ever
|

DevaCurl Issues!

I started using DevaCurl No Poo and One Condition in early January and used it until about a week ago. My hair was gorgeous but I wasn't able to get my hair really clean and developed some crazy dandruff which I've NEVER had a problem with before. I also noticed that I was shedding more hair than I was used to and that my hair seemed to be thinning a little. The shedding seem to get worse and that is the main reason that I stopped using it. When I switched back to Ogx coconut curls I was no longer shedding like crazy. Has anyone else had either of these issues while on these products? 

Re: DevaCurl Issues!

Did you have this affect on any of their stylers too?? (such as: styling cream, super cream, ultra defining gel, or the b'leave in)

RE: DevaCurl Issues!

I had long hair to my belly button and after switching everything to deva curl I was in denial of my hair loss until my hairdresser pointed out how my hair was shedding super bad and how it was thinking out. It’s been a couple months now and my hair is getting back to normal. Devacurl didn’t work for me and now I’m dealing with the issues it caused. I would just cry because my hair was falling out in big clumps!! Now I just use Olaplex for most my hair needs. Olaplex #3 has been helping with the bonding of my hair. I feel so sad you had to go through this as well.

The same thing happened to me a couple of years ago. I went to a Deva salon in Nashville, TN. After my appointment I purchased the product line that was used. From my 1st time using it at home my hair began shedding in large clumps. I tried it one more wash day and the same thing happened. Once I stopped using the products the clumps of hair ceased from falling out. I informed my stylist at the salon and she told one of the Level 3 stylists who has done my hair there before too. Both said they had never heard of what I had experienced. Of course I'm thinking if the large clumps of hair that came out were that noticeable to me that they had to have seen it when they did my hair. 

This is crazy reading these posts! I went “no poo” over 10 years ago and hit the curly girl method HARD! Used all DC products and my hair was ridiculously gorgeous. I’m a redhead and typically shed a lot so I didn’t really think too much about it but I remember thinking damn this is a lot! My stylist at the time commented on increased shedding but just assumed it was normal. She started getting out an extra towel to wipe the hair off her hands after washing my hair!! Gradually my hair started feeling dry and brittle, especially after ArcAngel and whatever the deep conditioner is. I started using new products and once I got rid of all DC products my hair was soft and happy again. Lesson learned!

Hi - so glad I found your post and many others about how Deva Curl products ruined my hair !! First it looked good but within 4 months of use my hair became dry , brittle , broom like and was falling out !! I thought something was wrong with my health and started taking hair & skin vitamins and complained to the hair dresser who recommended deva curl to me . She had no idea it was the product that is absolutely horrible!! I spent over $100 on all the products and am now very upset trying to repair my hair ! If anyone has a shampoo they recommend let me know . For now I’m going back to using Quidad and praying my hair grows back thick again & my curls come back . Good luck to you & everyone out there who experienced what I did - I wish we could all sue them !!! 

Me too! I thought it was menopause but it's Deva Curl products! There's a Facebook group about the issue too. I've emailed Deva Curl to return my products for a refund. Hope they will be responsible enough to do at least a refund. Horrible hair loss! Even my daughter had horrible hair loss. 

I am mind-blown at this thread. I was alwaysss the kid with hair so thick that hair stylists said something about it every time I had my hair cut. A year ago I noticed hair loss starting. And a year ago I started Deva Curl styling products. I don't use their hair washing products. In June, I got my first Deva cut and she told me I have thin hair, and that was crazy to hear. It's now to the point that I have super thin areas on each side of my forehead, which made me go to the doctor. I had my hormones checked and all kinds of other blood work done, and it's all normal. I put the thoughts together and realized the hair loss started the same time I started Deva products. Then I found this thread. I am switching ASAP. Please, if anyone knows of cruelty-free products that give poofy, frizzy, curly hair definition and frizz control, help a girl out!!

and Deva Curl... thanks for that medical bill!

I have natural curly hair I like using that product  I been using it for 6  months I was having that problem  but it was the brush I was using  I switched to  the brand  (wet brush ) and also add Paul Michelle skinny  silk  just a few drops!

@mia135 wrote:

I started using DevaCurl No Poo and One Condition in early January and used it until about a week ago. My hair was gorgeous but I wasn't able to get my hair really clean and developed some crazy dandruff which I've NEVER had a problem with before. I also noticed that I was shedding more hair than I was used to and that my hair seemed to be thinning a little. The shedding seem to get worse and that is the main reason that I stopped using it. When I switched back to Ogx coconut curls I was no longer shedding like crazy. Has anyone else had either of these issues while on these products? 

Yes. I used the No Poo Shampoo and Conditioner for two months. Every time I used these products my hair fell out in clumps during the shampoo and conditioning process. Initially, I thought this was me loosing dead hair, but it was more than that. I discontinued use and my hair slowed down dramatically in falling out. I’ve continued to use the styling products, but I’m questioning this now. Some days my hair looks amazing, and other days these products make my hair look terrible (i.e. stringy, frizzy, broomstick dry, distorted curl patterns). I don’t have heat damage because I love wearing my hair flowy and curly, so it’s not that. I’m very confused by these experiences! Overall, I’m not convinced it’s worth the money.  I’ve been reading about other women who’ve had similar experiences, which is alarming. I hope all of us continue to share. Granted, there are pros to the styling products, but the cons are pushing me away. I’ve watched the videos on how to use the products and I’m skilled at styling my hair, but all of this isn’t adding up for me. I hope this helps!

I have had the exact same issues.  When I started doing the curly girl process i lost a lost of hair, but I had not 'molted' for a while, so I wrote this off.  I have continued to see molting and a lot of breakage as well, tho.  The more concerning issue was the extreme itching and what was almost like flaky acne.  Bumps on my scalp that hurt and itched.  I have found that the Arc Angel gel is the worst offender and now that I have stopped using that it has gotten a lot better.  The products make my hair look great, but I wish I knew what ingredient was causing this issue.  Spent SO MUCH MONEY on these products and am not excited about buying more products that may have the same stuff in them that will cause the same issue.

I had the same reaction, I never really had dandruff until using devacurl. I bought the shampoo & conditioner & didn’t finish either. My head was super itchy along with dandruff & hair-loss. It did make my hair a little curlier but overall I thinks it’s a terrible product. 

Yes! My hair is thin, fine, frizzy, and curly. Deva curl took half of the little bit of hair I had! I'm so upset! I finally grew my hair long. And now I have to crop it! 

Hi, just wanted to let you know you are not alone! Other men and woman have had the same results from using Deva Curl products in this last years specially in 2019 which the major complaints are excessive hair loss, very dry and broken hairs and irritation. Like most people that call Deva Curl and complained they always get an answer that puts the blame on us and never the products. We have started a support group page on Facebook called "Hair and Scalp Issues from Deva Curl Products - You are not Alone! We hope that you will join us and share your story so we can help many  men and women around the world to help them figure out that they are not crazy, that is not their hormones or their old age and that there is a chance that it was their products they belived in that did this to them!

Sincerely,

A Friend

Omg yes!!!! Does the product you use contain sulfates and silicone? 

I'm having the exact same problem right now!!!!

Hi, just wanted to let you know you are not alone! Other men and woman have had the same results from using Deva Curl products in this last years specially in 2019 which the major complaints are excessive hair loss, very dry and broken hairs and irritation. Like most people that call Deva Curl and complained they always get an answer that puts the blame on us and never the products. We have started a support group page on Facebook called "Hair and Scalp Issues from Deva Curl Products - You are not Alone! We hope that you will join us and share your story so we can help many  men and women around the world to help them figure out that they are not crazy, that is not their hormones or their old age and that there is a chance that it was their products they believed in that did this to them!

Sincerely,

A Friend

Me too!  I have been using the Devacurl no poo original and one condition since Christmas. I just recently had a deva cut and purchased the products recommended and I have been losing a lot of hair. My hair feels thinner, looks thinner, and my hair just is not the same. 

This can’t be a coincidence. So I started using the no-poo almost exclusively on my wash days except for once a month when I used build up buster. Before that I alternated with the low poo Every other wash day and I never experienced shedding. Now that I started using mostly noo poo I’m seeing crazy shedding and breaking. I just switched to Oidad VitalCurl and can’t report on results but first impressions my scalp feels clean and my hair looks nice. I also read online that noo-poo in hard water areas can cause PH imbalances in the hair, which can lead to shedding. I know I have hard water so I’m hoping by using new brands I’ll be able to use DevaCurl again someday because for the first 2 years it was great. 

I’ve used DivaCurl for a while and wonder now if it’s making my hair thin out. It may be because I’m an little older, but I never had a problem before. The no-poo option works well for me because sulfates dry out my hair really bad. I think I’ll switch over to Carol’s Daughter, Mixed Chicks, or Shea Moisture to see what happens.

I finally had to stop using their products, which broke my heart because they made my hair so beautiful...I really loved my unruly, curly, red Irish hair for the first time ever. I used it for probably two years.

I started noticing my hair thinning, which was disturbing because I have always had extremely thick hair. Finally, I couldn't ignore it anymore this year when I could see through to my scalp, and I looked balding when my hair was wet. My ponytail is barely anything now, and my long hair (which I took such a long time to grow and care for) is limp and straggly looking when I don't take great care to fluff it up with thickening products. I was losing clumps of hair not just in the shower (where I would find whole chunks wrapped around my hands), but all over my bathroom floor, my bed, my couch...literally anywhere I had been, there was hair to clean up. . Horrifying at any age, and especially in your mid twenties. I have also developed very sensitive spots on my scalp, where I feel "pinpricks" in the front whenever wearing a ponytail (no matter how loose it is).

I finally saw a dermatologist that specialized in women's hair loss. She agreed I had hair loss, but could not give a definitive answer as to why and started me on spironolactone to suppress any excess androgen (although my hormone levels were tested and found to be normal). Around the same time I switched from Deva products to more generic (but curly-girl friendly) products. After a couple months, I started to notice I had probably 1/5 the amount of hair loss, and it finally seemed normal. No more sweeping up hair from the bathroom floor every single day.

I was able to purchase the Deva gel again (the one I had been using in the interim shaped my curls nicely, but left it too frizzy and they fell out quickly). Each time I use this, I am right back to crazy clumps of hair in the shower and on the floor again. I realized something in the Devacurl *has* to be contributing to my hair loss over the last two years, and especially the last year before I finally got medical help. I don't know if it's an allergy or what, I have no known problems. But it's sort of a relief to see other people reporting these problems, too.

If anyone has recommendations for products with similar hold and frizz-taming capability, I really miss loving my hair. It used to be my proudest feature (after a lifetime of hating and fighting it), and now I feel like it's something I dislike about myself again. Smiley Sad

53 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos3
  • texture
  • morning, before washig or conditioning
  • Someone please help me, I have been experiencing, this for too long!!