Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Besides Beauty
|

BIC book club!

Some of us here have expressed an interest in a book club, myself, @mermadelove, @LCResz, @ZombieMetroAnt, @Mcakes. If you'd be interested in joining, reply below. My initial thought was to mail the books around but if it means that some people can't participate, then I'm all for dropping that requirement. I'd love this to be a place where we nominate our favorite book and others can read it and comment. Something fun for the new year!  ETA: the booklist:

1. Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng (16)
1. Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie (16)
3. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (13)
4. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (11)
4. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson (11)
4. Death on the Nile by Agatha Christie (11)
7. Exit West by Mohsin Hamid (10)
7. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (10)
7. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (10) Discussion begins 8-13.
7. The Wedding Dress by Rachel Hauck (10) Discussion begin 9-2.
11. The Fault in our Stars by John Green (9) Time to discuss 9-26
11. The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas (9) Now discussing below.
11. Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro (9)
11. What Happened by Hilary Clinton (9) Now discussing below.
11. Fall of Giants by Ken Follett (9) Start reading now.
11. The Woman on the Orient Express by Lindsay Ashford (9)
11. milk and honey by Rupi Kaur (9)
18. A Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (8)
18. Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty (8)
18. Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll (8)
18. Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell (8)
18. Lady Chatterley’s Lover by D.H. Lawrence (8)
18. Mansfield Park by Jane Austen (8)
18. Brave New World by Aldous Huxley (8)
18. The Paper Magician by Charlie Holmberg (8)
18. The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien (8)
18. The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo (8)
18. Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman (8)
18. The White Queen by Phillipa Gregory (8)

Participants in spoiler

Spoiler

Participants:

PrettyinPA

AlexaSteph

Beadshopgirl

LCResz

Kim888

SoBeautiful

Fatimamummy

ZombieMetroAnt

PalomaFoster

k617

bakeamuffin
Susubee
Skcfan
Lazybeautybeast
SpaceLlama
greeneyedgirl107

Mermadelove
Mcakes
Aaliaa
Serenely
Myinsidevoice
MissPuff
juliehnguyen
lmi82
Knowledgebeauty
Titian06
quspork
darlyndar
KellW
misscg
EuniceO
Elles117
ClassicallyFab
ShiraBT
melanito
Heylady14
ChicagoEngineer
Imightneedthis
PrettyPaint
rachface2921

Re: BIC book club!

I have a Kindle Unlimited subscription and it gets a lot of use. Idk how many books I read in a year tbh. I mostly read fluff, though (YA, Romance, Fantasy, etc).  I just finished a novella from Kresley Cole which was ok. I also read The Edge series (4 books) from Ilona Andrews, who is one of my favorites, but this series I would skip. I’ve really enjoyed everything else they’ve written, though. Almost all the books I’ve read lately have been sequels and honestly none of them have really gotten a 5/5 . I have some more sequels coming up that I’m hoping will be better. 

@makeitup305, that's awesome that you're putting your kindle to good use! Not all books can be 5/5 - it's alright; it makes the ones that are stand out even more. i hope the other books on your reading list are better.

Oh wow I just noticed this thread is active again. In good old days when it was started, that year I was most disciplined in my readings and actually dipped into many different genres. 

I'll be happy to jump in again but just heads up, I read a lot of YA books 😅 so most of my recommendations might be childish for you guys.

Let me explain, as kids get older, I feel the need to be more creative to find common interests. Luckily everyone in my household (except my husband) loves to read and they also like to discuss books after finishing them so they are always talking me into reading their books. 

Last month I read "Arc of Scythe" series from my son's collection and it was actually quite interesting. If you like dystopian books and don't mind YA fiction, this series is a good read. 

For last few days I have first book of "The Inheritance Games" series sitting on my side table because my daughter wants me to read it. It needs to wait a little. I will start after Ramadan. 

Now I hope after re-joining the book club I may start reading some grown ups book again. Looking forward to see what you all are reading.

@fatimamummy, I love that your children talk you into reading their book and that they discuss what they are reading with you. 💗 It's sweet. As sweet is your reading their books. 

Ramadan Mubarak!

Thank you @itsfi  It sure is fun.

@fatimamummy I read plenty of YA so recommendations are welcome.  Let me know what you think of Inheritance Games. What's your favorite, off the top of your head?

@makeitup305  This year I have only read Arc of Scythe series so far.  Loved the book 1 most, 2nd & 3rd books are also good. From last year's reads  "One of Us is Lying" was a better series. The one I liked least was Historic fiction series "The Agency" I could hardly finish the first book .

I’d love to join! 💕

Hi @vira25! Jump right on in! We'd love to have you join. It's always great to hear what others are reading.

I recently learned that going into the library for physical books is a lot faster than waiting for a copy online. I was able to grab these the day I went in while online, there was like a 14 week hold/wait list 😳

I love pandan pancakes/waffles but idk if I can or should eat them anymore... unless I'm with another who knows CPR 😂

1000015651.jpg

1000015653.jpg

Yes for getting your hands on the books at your local library @jaaayp! And, yes!! to getting your hands on some pandan pancakes / waffles. That sounds delicious! 😋 Reading and eating sound like a great pairing, perfect for Habit Stacking - not just saying that because it's what I try to do a night or two during the work week. 😉 @Mellmars1185 

And now, I must do some online research for restaurants near me that make yummy pandan pancakes or waffles. This could be dangerous. Yummy, but dangerous.

gingerdooo

Hey there @gingerdooo! Is there a particular genre or types of books you enjoy reading?

Just finished this. I saw it was available to checkout from my library and remembered @itsfi @and couple ladies here love it.

IMG_2543.jpeg
it was interesting read. It almost likes a modern twist of Les Miserable. 

@blackkitty2014 I watched the show but didn’t read the book. I recommend the show if you liked the book! @itsfi 

If so many of you like it then it must be interesting. I placed a hold for e-book.

This is on my listttt @blackkitty2014 on a scale of 1 to 10... how would you rate LOL

@jaaayp I would give it a 7. It has a happy ending. But I can’t stand the phrase “I’m a scientist”. That phrase reminds me so much of my engineering friends in college. They was good people but only if they could stop zapping about it 😂🤣

@blackkitty2014, did you like the book enough to watch the TV series (if you had Apple TV)? 

I do like the story @itsfi . But I don’t have Apple TV. Who’s playing the main character? I’m trying to not subscribe too many streaming app. I have HBO but we almost never watch it. 😂🤣 we are watching a lot of Paramount+ and Netflix.maybe one day I will subscribe Apple TV. They have many shows that I would def want to watch

951 Replies
testing