cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Show Me Your Declutters!

I received an order today with four new lipsticks,

(Lancome L'Absolue Lacquer...I will never ever stop mentioning these every-dang-where ๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜)

but had absolutely no room for them in my containers. While the thought "buy more containers" crossed my mind for a brief second, I quickly dismissed it as I'm starting to feel overwhelmed with too much stuff. I'd been pulling out one or two here and there, but today was the big reckoning!Sorry I didn't stage a better pic, but that's 55 lip items that are now gloriously gone from my stash!Sorry I didn't stage a better pic, but that's 55 lip items that are now gloriously gone from my stash!

This is only the stuff I pulled today; I have a small train case packed full of the other lippies (and some palettes) that I've been slowly pulling over the last couple of months. Do I still have more I could get rid of? Yeah, most likely...if I was on the fence, I erred on the side of keeping it rather than tossing. And I didn't swatch every single keeper to weed out similar shades, so there's probably still a good bit of overlap in my berry-heavy collection. But my oh my, I feel soooo much better now. I found not only things I had forgotten about, but things I really had no clue I even owned in the first place ๐Ÿคฃ

So...do you have too much too? Ready to clear up some space and salvage a little sanity? Share your declutters with us; we wanna see it! 

Re: Show Me Your Declutters!

I agree that bad shampoos are worth tossing, @curlychiquita & @RGbrown! I usually send mine to my sister since her hair is different and if it doesn't work out for her, she has other roommates and people she knows that she can pass it on to. We do the same for makeup & skincare, but we're sisters so we feel okay about sharing beauty products. I recently threw out a bunch of old makeup from when I was starting makeup, but it was quite old and disgusting so I felt no regret. I still have a bag of less old stuff in "purgatory" as you said that I need to decide what to do with. ๐Ÿ˜ฌ

@SpaceLlama

Oh, that's awesome that you have a hand-me-down network! That's an awesome way to make sure some unloved items can get some use ๐Ÿ™‚

Ah, decluttering the super-old stuff reminds me of one regret. I had some makeup that was 12-13 years old when I first started getting back into it on my current level a couple of years ago. I went through and tossed pretty much all of it with no regrets, except one piece (there's always one, isn't there!). At the time I tossed that stuff, I didn't wear blush and wasn't really interested in it at all, so I threw out all that I had. But of course, a few months later I started dabbling with it some and I was heartbroken to realize my Revlon A Rose Is A Rouge blush was gone. I always remembered it being the perfect shade for me, and haven't found anything exactly like it yet (or, well, exactly like I remember it, at least lol). I found it on eBay for $20+, but it's just not quite worth that to me, especially now that I have entirely too many other blushes in my collection. As old as it was, it may not have even been any good anymore, but I certainly wish I had bothered to save it so I could at least know for sure lol. 

I think this helps explain my desire to keep stuff in purgatory for a while too ๐Ÿ˜›

Oh no, @RGbrown! That really sucks! Luckily the stuff I started out with was really cheap makeup from Ardene, Claire's and (believe it or not) La Senza that was definitely unusable by now. I do have that fear for other products though ๐Ÿ˜ฌ I hope you can one day find a good dupe for it!

@curlychiquita

I hear you! I always have a hard time finding the balance between "not my favorite but it's fine, I can use it up" and "omg this is the worst thing ever". I recently tossed a couple of shampoos and conditioners myself that just weren't cutting it. I hated wasting the product, but...if it's ruining my hair and leaving me frizzy, I really should just let it go.

This is a wonderful idea for a thread! ๐Ÿ™Œ Iโ€™ve been meaning to go through all my makeup and skincare โ€“ this will be the perfect motivation to do so! Stay tuned, Iโ€™ll be back! ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜‰

P.S. Thatโ€™s an impressive pile, Iโ€™m sure thatโ€™s got to feel good! Great job, @RGbrown!! 

@Shosh85 can't wait for you to join in! Paring down feels so good. I'll never have a tiny "capsule" collection, but just having a better handle on what I do have, and being able to find it easier, is such a relief ๐Ÿ’•

RE: Show Me Your Declutters!

@RGbrown, itโ€™s nothing near your declutter, but i figure if I can reduce by at least one x day, that would be around 30 a month! Anyway here is my first go-round. The Tata Harper, I donโ€™t know what I was thinking as I have dry skin! I love her products, this just wasnโ€™t meant for my skin. The Kiehlโ€™s Glow Formula...not sure what this was supposed to do, but I thought it was a mask when I ordered it as a GWP๐Ÿ˜† I donโ€™t recall where the Vasant moisturizer was from, a Beauty Box but itโ€™s not rich enough for my skin. Last, the Jane Iredale was SO cute but it had a weird bumpy surface then broke the 2nd time I used it. I tried to fix it as itโ€™s the perfect size for a clutch but gave up.

Re: RE: Show Me Your Declutters!

@eshoe congrats on clearing up some space! Getting rid of stuff that just doesn't work feels so good! ๐Ÿ’ž

This is a brilliant idea for a thread, and I totally need to do this sometime this weekend!

@txcatx can't wait for you to join in! It's an amazing feeling to trim some of the fat and narrow down the collection a bit. I do think I'm due one more good lippie purge, but I feel better already ๐Ÿ˜‹

@RGbrown Isn't it amazing how much one can accumulate? I go through everything every few months, but I was more cut throat the last time I did. Luckily I noticed that what I tossed was all GWP items. I can remember a time when I would have to toss expired things that I actually paid for and I would always get this sick feeling from it. I started making wiser purchases and now it's the freebees I'm tossing. I hardly ever select samples or GWP anymore too. I'm hoping for less waste overall ๐Ÿ™‚

@suzyo lipsticks are ridiculously easy to overstock, and I am quite prone to hoarding tendencies. Lots of GWPs here, but also quite a few I paid for ๐Ÿ˜ž A good many of these are from my early days, when I was just getting into makeup and completely clueless as to what I liked and what I was looking for in a product. Lots of bad colors and bad formulas, for my tastes and wants, at least. Thankfully, I hope I have a better handle on what I have now and can keep the incoming stuff to a minimum. I know I *need* nothing at this point, but I'll allow myself a few small things here and there as long as they aren't just more dupes of stuff I already have. But I will always be a sucker for a good gwp ๐Ÿ˜

I'm happy with what I accomplished today...this was an awesome start...but I could definitely see an urge for me to go through what's left again in a few months, and really pare down. ๐Ÿ˜ฒ

testing