Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Sephoria 2021

I am curious, what is/was everyones thoughts on the virtual sephoria event?

Edit:

My opinion of the event was that it was a bit of a let down for me. I expected more, especially considering how they were saying that it would be interactive, and have game(meaning more than one) to win swag. Some of the videos were interesting to watch, but honestly nothing too special. The loft was my favorite out of everything, since there you can actually ask questions and communicate. Also there were a lot of issues, even with the photo booth, where it would say "demo" over the photos, however it was fixed later, but that was towards when the event was almost over. 

Re: Sephoria 2021

Thanks for responding back about what you and your mom received, @SportyGirly125. (That JVN looks like a great prize btw!!) In looking through some posts on reddit, it looks like they did switch the SC and EB gifts for pretty much everyone. I didn't plan to contact the Sephoria peeps, but I did just get a second FedEx notice for something arriving tomorrow. Someone on reddit said they just today received the item they were supposed to get originally with the second shipment, so maybe they're already correcting it? I guess we'll see tomorrow! 

@quspork Weird. I didn’t get a notification from FedEx with another Sephoria shipment coming my way. 

@SportyGirly125 Well now the mystery deepens... I'll let you know when it arrives tomorrow if I do get the EB (or some random online order that I have somehow forgotten I'd placed LOL). 

If you won something at the Sephoria game you should receive a Fedex tracking number if you are signed up to get shipping notifications.

So I love the idea of virtual events because of access. As an academic, I've attended A LOT of virtual events and conferences this past two years, so I've seen a lot of different platforms. This overall wasn't my favorite.

The masterclasses that I attended were all good and the accelerate roundtable was great. As were the videos I watched. The fact that I can go back and watch most of the content is fabulous. 

Areas for improvement:

1. So since this was virtual, why was this limited in terms of number of attendees and geographically? I definitely watched the event, but I felt weird attending from Canada. The in person event isn't constricted, so it just kind of felt sad. I'm not sure if it was because of prizes or something? 

2. Lack of interaction. There wasn't really any place to meet with other attendees. I was really looking forward to that. This was also the case for products/brands. Without a back and forth, I could have just watched brand videos on YouTube or Insta or even the Sephora app. 

3. Technical difficulties across platforms. Obviously things happen, but the photo booth wasn't consistently working and numerous videos stalled for me (the accelerate in particular). 

4. Overlap of classes. Since we can watch back it's less of an issue. But, like, have parallel streams. I don't mind choosing between one and the other, but they should be the at the same time, so we don't miss 5 min of the start or end of one. 

5. One prize draw? 

6. I wish beforehand there had been a chance to suggest brands and discussion topics. I LOVED the accelerate roundtable. I need to go back and watch the session on mental health. I would have loved a discussion on sustainability in addition. 

I think it was an okay event. I'm glad it was free and a lot more people were able to attend. The kits added a nice add on, but it would have been cool to have an add on class where it was discussed how to use all of the items in the kit to work together or something. Some integration of the kits basically. 

It was a bit disappointing. I couldn’t get any of the videos to work on my phone but they worked ok on my laptop. I definitely thought it would be more interactive and that there would be more games. My favorite part were the masterclasses, but I wish they were longer. The kits were great and I think they were a good value. I’m glad we can go back and access content. Hopefully next year it will be in person 🤞

Thanks for starting this thread, @Anastasiya13! I found the whole event pretty underwhelming if I'm being honest. Like most everyone else has said, the lack of interaction was unexpected. I went into it thinking that most of the sessions (panels, masterclasses, etc) would be more interactive with chats and such, more like the classes that they've been offering over zoom for the past year. While I enjoyed certain aspects of the various pre-recorded content (mostly seeing certain programs promoted and being able to put faces to names of different brand founders), not having more opportunities to chat and send questions was a huge failing in my book. 

I also think it was a bit of a let down as far as the "fun" side was concerned. There was all of one game and you could only play it once! I would have loved some other games to play around with, even if prizes weren't part of deal. Having a beauty-related trivia game or even having participants do a "this or that" like they did with some of the brand founders would have been fun. 

I also would have loved to see some actual new release information for upcoming holiday products or even an incentive to purchase items. I understand that additional samples and such may have been too much to work out with shipping and all that (outside of the original kits that could be purchased in advance of the event), but offering a percentage off for select items or a particular brand after that brand's masterclass would have been nice. It honestly would have enticed me to actually purchase a couple of things yesterday. 

This really just missed the mark for me. 

ETA: I was also very disappointed that the after-event survey didn't really give us the option of elaborating on any of this in the hope of offering real, genuine feedback. 

I agree with you, they made it seem like it would be a lot of fun, and interactive. It would have been even fun if they added like a little questionnaire that we filled out, to decide what type of scents/lipsticks/makeup products we should use. I agree, the zoom classes have been way more interesting, considering they were more interactive too.

Okay so my feedback for virtual Sephoria is that a conference style event is missing THE key element of a conference without social interaction.  A chat room or interactive avatars would’ve made it a much more enjoyable experience.  Anything at all to indicate other people were sharing along in the experience would have been appreciated.  
Without that social element it made it all the more apparent how little entertainment there was navigating the event.  They ought to have had a new game appear hourly to keep people engaged, or to have a challenge to complete every activity at the event for a 10% discount on Sephoria  purchases or something.  

The masterclasses were enjoyable.  I didn’t see any issues with them besides the fact there was no necessity for them to be both scheduled and overlapping.  There’s no excuse to have to miss out on a masterclass at a virtual conference due to timing when they’re mostly prerecorded.  
I enjoyed the Obe workout with Spencer and sweating it out in the kitchen with 5lb weights and  taking breaks to sip on the chamomile matcha mocktale I whipped up following the yttp video promoting their new exfoliating product.   It felt akin to a wellness retreat. 
I thought at the very least there would be avatars we could name and give makeovers to using Sephora products and so we could run around with our makeovers spotting other members of the community and perhaps promoting the products we were using.   

Or a wall we could sign.

I did end up winning hair product at the spin which was a nice surprise.

I didn’t bother putting makeup on or brushing my hair for this cause i honestly wasn’t planning on actually getting access given I had to sign up through a friend in the US.  It was alright but nothing exceptional.  The swag bags made it worth it but really I was expecting a lot more.  

5E0AF967-3CF0-4882-A914-F30E4CBBB15E.jpeg

68C32DA6-9A2A-433F-9502-3641AD2E5469.jpeg

03985A45-528E-4A9A-BECC-98F3AE67DBA0.jpeg

I love your look, @heartsmyface! I agree with everything you said.

Those shades!! And your Sephoria swag!! @heartsmyface!! Totally agree

@heartsmyface You don't need makeup with all that style swag.  😍

@SportyGirly125   No better time to pull out the swag!  
I’m still waiting on this years swag to be brought up over the border so I made due😜

Maybe my experience was due to not using Chrome, but I was not able to find much content etc. I kept trying to get the proper bra fitting session to work but never succeeded. I didn't see many "circles" to click to get interactive content.  I never found the game. Following links from the email didn't help me.

Having said that, the set-up was really cute! I have a lot of respect for all who contributed to creating a virtual Sephoria.

@Ispend2much6  It didn’t work for me at all on my phone but it worked well on safari desktop.  

Aw sorry you never found the game.  Perhaps next time they can have links directly on the event layout for quick access to wherever someone wants to go.  

@heartsmyface   Seems like the desktop was the way to go. I used my laptop, and usually don't have issues but I did forget to use Chrome.

I did see the spin game, but I couldn't access it with my cursor.

There was an upside- my husband made me laugh by doing a goofy dance to the background music of the dj at one of the rooms. 🙂

@Ispend2much6 I was on my laptop using chrome and it was fine.  I saw the spin wheel and didn't know how to access it.  I had to ask BIC members on instagram.  You had to go on the white circle to spin it.  I think you can spin it till the event is over on Monday.  It didn't let me spin it again since I already won something from it.

@SportyGirly125  You were right; I totally missed the white circle in front of the game! 

@Ispend2much6 Yea I missed it too and I’m sure others did as well. 

@SportyGirly125. Thanks for the info!

@Ispend2much6 I originally joined on my laptop in case I needed a camera, and some functions worked poorly on my laptop. Once I realized I wouldn't need a camera, I switched to my desktop.  I used Chrome on both but it worked better on the desktop. Maybe because of the laptop wifi or the fact that my laptop is old?

Conversation Stats
  • 73 replies
  • 518 Hearts Given
  • 16 Contributors
Photos10
  • Screenshot_20210918-163141__01__01.jpg
  • Screenshot_20210918-164058__01__01.jpg
  • 5E0AF967-3CF0-4882-A914-F30E4CBBB15E.jpeg
  • 68C32DA6-9A2A-433F-9502-3641AD2E5469.jpeg
  • 03985A45-528E-4A9A-BECC-98F3AE67DBA0.jpeg
  • PXL_20211006_175914993.jpg
  • 8ADA6E50-ED42-401F-A88D-7A7A7618612A.jpeg