Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Pan It! - 2022 Challenge

Welcome to the Pan It Challenge, 2022 Edition!!

I'm claiming a 2022 that's greater than our wildest imaginations, also for my longtimers this will be our FIFTH YEAR doing this challenge. Thanks to all who've stuck around and everyone who's tested themselves and jumped into the madness. You all are amazing ๐Ÿ˜˜

ElleElleG_0-1641013614552.jpeg

The "Rules"

To accommodate a variety of interests, you all are encouraged to pick items to pan that are most suitable to your collections.  For some, this might mean focusing on a particular type of product (like lipstick) and for others this may include a larger variety spanning your entire makeup or skincare routine.

Getting Started (please share the following)

• Which item(s) you would like to work on
  • How long you will work on said item
  • Goal: explore a new item, revisit an old item, decide whether to keep pass or trash, and/or completely finish item, etc.
  • Starting photo of item

Please Use This Thread To...

• share what item(s) you are working on,
  • provide comparative progress photos of your item(s) monthly (at the beginning of the month when possible),
  • ask questions,
  • encourage others,
  • motivate others with the looks you create with your item(s)

Tips and Tricks to Panning/Getting Some Use Out of Your Stash:

Spoiler
  • Take photos!!  When you think you arenโ€™t making a dent in anything look back at those photos, Iโ€™m certain youโ€™ll see some changes ๐Ÿ˜ƒ
  • If you goal is to hit pan or use something up entirely, try concentrating your brush/applicator in the same area each time you use it
  • Multitask your products: eyeshadows as highlighter, lipstick as blush, eyeshadow as brow powder, etc. 
  • Layer eyeshadow to create different colors (this is especially helpful to get use out of shades youโ€™re not fond of).
  • Have shadows with a ton of fall out?  Use water
  • Watching the progress of othersโ€™ can be fun but try not compare your progress to theirs.  We all use our makeup differently and have different goals.
  • Donโ€™t restrict yourself to only using the item(s) you are working on.  Itโ€™s more than OK to incorporate other items or take a break!
  • Makeup should be funโ€ฆ.if you begin to dread doing your makeup because you made a commitment to use a product that you now hate, TOSS IT!  Do not force yourself to use up something you donโ€™t like.  Move on to something else!  (This includes excluding particular shades from your goals if focusing on palettes, etc.)

Ideas to Help You Pan Those Items:

Spoiler
  • Roll the dice: number your items and use a random number generator to pick what you will use each (day/week/month/etc.) 
  • Layer/Mask: items you are less fond of under things you like
  • Pan a Look: at the beginning of the week pick a look that you can wear everyday
  • Recreate: a look worn by a fellow BICer, celebrity, etc.
  • Spice up an "everyday" look by adding subtle pops of color (in the crease or on the lower lash line, mix lip products to make shades wearable, etc.)

Past Panning Challenges:

Spoiler

Re: Pan It! - 2022 Challenge

I vote for "give it a try again!" @missjeanie โœ‹ Join us if and as you like - we'd love to have you! ๐Ÿ’–

@itsfi I was laying in bed last night mentally going through my stash and trying to decide if I could pick out 10 items that were achievable over the year.... I think if I keep it to 10 items or 10 where I rotate in something new as I use something up, I might be able to. I usually pick too many items and it gets overwhelming among the new pretties. You all have such dedication!!!

Ohhh, I like it - thatโ€™s a great approach @missjeanie.  ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ I aimed for 22 items this year and that was really too much for me. I am planning to have a much smaller number of products for 2023 - maybe 8-10 with one of them being the Biba palette which will have more than one goal, and revisiting periodically if something is working for me and if not, to switch it out for something else. That sounds like it will be more manageable for me, and better suited to how I go through / use my products. 

@ElleElleG, oh good, I have a little more time to think through my project pan products for next year. I know Biba will be around for 2023, but what else?!! ๐Ÿคท๐Ÿปโ€โ™€๏ธ 

I'm excited to see your progress @ElleElleG !  

Thanks. @Nahnom ๐Ÿงก

Here we go, panners! Last day of November - wow, that flew by! 

Monthly Summary

3 items fully used up! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ including one thatโ€™s been part of my project pan from the very beginning. Woohoo!! ๐Ÿ™Œ๐Ÿผ 

November All Stars

• Trader Joeโ€™s scrub - DONE โœ… 
  • Amika hair mask - this is one of a handful of tubs. Iโ€™m glad Iโ€™ve worked my way through one. DONE โœ…
  • Natasha Denona Biba Eyeshadow Palette - Tusk shadow - 2 years, 10 months, 22 days DONE โœ… 

Used up the hair mask and sugar scrub. A few uses left of the hair scrub and the foundation (not pictured here)Used up the hair mask and sugar scrub. A few uses left of the hair scrub and the foundation (not pictured here)

Cut off the top to get every bit of this scrub!Cut off the top to get every bit of this scrub!

Gonna work hard to finish this before the end of the year!Gonna work hard to finish this before the end of the year!

And the moment that has been years in the making ... 

Ta da!! Last row, last shadow ... DONE!!Ta da!! Last row, last shadow ... DONE!!

All done!! =)All done!! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

New unplanned pans

Spoiler
ND rayon & ND pasha - both repurposed to make nail polish!! Ohhh yeaaahhh!! Iโ€™ve been reaching for those polishes more than Iโ€™ve reached for these shades as shadows. I won't be counting them towards my pan for the year since I still have to use them up as polish but it is nice to have a way to repurpose shadows that otherwise wonโ€™t work for me. The reds in these shadows can cause a little irritation and make my eyes sensitive so I donโ€™t make a lot of effort to use them, let alone use them up.

December Plans

Spoiler
Looking at the rest of my project pan, thereโ€™s probably only 2 more items that Iโ€™ll be able to hit pan / fully use by the end of next month - the Sephora Collection hair scrub and Tom Ford foundation. Both will be a bit of a stretch but Iโ€™ll try to get through both.๐Ÿคž๐Ÿผ 

Questions

Spoiler
Thinking about what I want to work on for next year. I have a couple of questions for folks who have multiples palettes (eyeshadow or otherwise) as part of their project pan - do you pick specific shadows to pan from each palette? Do you rotate them on a schedule? Any tips and tricks would be appreciated. Iโ€™m accustomed to just working on one palette so thisโ€™ll be new for me. 

Excited to see how everyone's panning projects have been coming along! 

Just stopping by late to ๐Ÿคฉ๐Ÿ˜ฑ at the empty Tusk shade, @itsfi!! 

For multiple of a type, I go by whatever else I'm wearing that day. So let the thing you have multiple of wanting to work through go with the flow of the rest of the look. 

Youโ€™re not late @haleyvvvv; it was a long and rewarding journey to pan that shadow! Looking forward to making my way through a few other shadows in this palette.๐Ÿคž๐Ÿผ

@itsfi this is amazing! what a satisfying moment for Tusk!! love that you repurposed and made polish out of shadows you normally wouldn't use. i never would have thought of that, but it's such a cool idea.

i generally have kept palettes out of my pans, because i feel like my mood changes by day on what kind of looks i like to do, and would feel super tied down to one palette. that being said, i am thinking about including some in my 2023 project. when i did a declutter recently, there were some palettes that i hardly use but wasn't ready to part with. i'm going to commit to using them this year, otherwise i'll have to get rid of them by 2024. my plan of attack is to pick one shade per palette i want to include. that way, i have some more variety, and won't feel so stuck having to use one. i know i'll end up using the entire palette more, especially if i'm pulling it out for just the one shade, but to keep myself inspired, i'll be telling myself i don't HAVE to use the whole palette. i'll be rotating them seasonally, because some are more suited for spring/summer or fall/winter

Thank you @cianni๐Ÿ˜ I'm trying to make a good effort to make use of what I have. I think though there will need to be a day, very soon, where I'm just brutal with decluttering - at some point there are things that if I haven't used them now, I'm not likely going to and I'd rather someone else have the benefit of getting some good use out of it while the product is in its prime. 

That's a good way to go about multiple palettes. Sticking with the one worked out really well in the early days of the pandemic when having a routine was good for me, but as each year has gone by since I started doing a project pan, I've had a harder time with just keeping to Biba, even as much as I do enjoy the shadows. I'll play around this month with how you and others go about using your palettes and see how it goes for me. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts on panning with multiple palettes. 

@itsfi yes! i did a pretty big declutter not too long ago, and aside from a couple things (which i mostly had to get rid of because of how old they were), i havent really missed anything. because of the size of my collection, most of the things i decluttered were new, only swatched, or lightly used, so i was able to pass things along. while i wasnt able to give them as much love as i should have, i do know that the family members/friends ive passed them onto have been really enjoying and making use of them!

@itsfi you are THE QUEEN of eyeshadow panning ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐ŸŒน๐Ÿ˜˜ so inspiring seeing your progress 

Aww, we're all royalty here @blackkitty2014! I'm always amazed at everyone's panning efforts and super impressed by all the products I've seen we've all worked our way through so far - lipsticks, foundations, shadows, perfumes! It's really motivating and incredibly inspiring to see all the items everyone has gone through - and we're not even done with 2022 yet, though it is winding down quickly. We're an impressive bunch, if I do say so. ๐Ÿ˜€

@itsfi --- OMG, you killed Tusk! Fantastic, and I love that nail color idea, and the pics you posted. So pretty for any time of year.

It's no mean feat to get through that much hair mask either; I have trouble using up a (theoretically) single use packet. Congrats on finishing so many items. 

@heavyhedon, thank you so much! ๐Ÿ˜Š I was so excited to post the November update - folks here have been so kind and supportive, always having an encouraging word and sharing in my ups and downs with panning. A true community feel and a great place to be. ๐Ÿ˜ Love that we are all on board with each other's pan progress and success! It's one of my favorite threads to come back to every month to see how everyone is faring and what new themes and products are in their rotation. 

The diy nail polish has (and will) come in handy. I do have a fair number of unused and unopen bottles of clear polish that I was going to donate but I will hold back a couple, for some more diy nail polish projects - with eye shadow and maybe with some powder blush that I don't reach for very often or at all. I think I'll also see what comes of mixing an eye shadow with a topper polish - something with a clear base and sparkles. That sounds like it could result in a fun polish.

Great job!!! @itsfi that is so satisfying ๐Ÿ™Œ

Thank you @lmaster๐Ÿ˜€ It is extremely satisfying! I started panning this palette in 2019, a couple of months before the first lockdown started and using it every day during that time was good for giving me a routine; so the timing of a full pan with one of the shadows is meaningful too. ๐Ÿ’– It's also shown me just how long it takes to get through an eyeshadow, and that's helped to curb some (but not all ๐Ÿคฃ) of my hauls.

@itsfi I have the biggest stupidest smile on my face seeing Tusk! And nail polish? I'm interested in hearing more about that! As for your question- I have too many eye shadow palettes I still have so many I never used. So for them I'm using every shade at least once. I have a lot of neutrals and since it's really humid and I sweat a lot at work I go through the brow bone shades I've used an like, I change them every month. I also use one shade, kinda chose at random, but still light enough, that I use most work days, and save my other palette project for days I don't work. 

Awww @Samtian, thank you! It's very touching to have you share in my excitement over this. You've been such a fabulous support and encouragement. Thank you, thank you!! I was sorta on auto-pilot when it came to reaching for Tusk so when I did fully pan it, I wasn't expecting it. My first thought was "oh. no more." Then, it sunk in and I thought, "OHHHH!!! No more! You're done! I'm DONE!!" ๐Ÿ˜‚ Followed by "Ohhhh, I need to tell samtian!!" Then between the holidays and work deadlines I forgot to tell you. D'oh!!! Until now. ๐Ÿ˜Š I'm done. D-O-N-E, done! It feels good. ๐Ÿ‘ 

Ooooh, eye shadow + clear nail polish = new nail polish shade! The first thing I did was clean / sanitize the eyeshadow. I used a straw to make it easier to scoop out the shadow and transfer it through the opening of a bottle of nail polish. Then I used a toothpick to help distribute it within the bottle a little before putting the cap / top back on and then shaking the bottle in order to mix the shadow into the clear polish. A great way to repurpose eyeshadow that doesn't suit your skin tone, style or liking.

Spoiler
Clear nai polish + Rayon shade from Natasha Denona Biba Eyeshadow Palette. Rayon is in the second row, third shadow.Clear nai polish + Rayon shade from Natasha Denona Biba Eyeshadow Palette. Rayon is in the second row, third shadow.

11.5.2022 DIY SC x ND Rayon.jpg

Thank you so much for sharing your eyeshadow routine. It's very helpful. I'll try incorporating them in my makeup routine.

@itsfi haha I love that story! I probably would have had the same reaction! That nail polish is genius. I have way too many eye shadows I don't like. I also can't wear much nail polish...but I'm going to try it out next year!

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
Photos343
  • ElleElleG_0-1641013614552.jpeg
  • A15495AA-E953-4061-8926-557AE53A9B64.jpeg
  • E3930FCF-77AC-42DD-B512-0B1531126F01.jpeg
  • EFD870EE-BD61-47EF-B867-BEA9B67D32DD.jpeg
  • BTE + UTNG
  • Dec Perfume Pan.jpg
  • Ulta Eyeliner Pan Project.jpg
  • B2E72D87-03E7-4091-ACB8-EE6B85CC58F9.jpeg
  • yearlong, base minis, CoC, palette