Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Pan It! - 2022 Challenge

Welcome to the Pan It Challenge, 2022 Edition!!

I'm claiming a 2022 that's greater than our wildest imaginations, also for my longtimers this will be our FIFTH YEAR doing this challenge. Thanks to all who've stuck around and everyone who's tested themselves and jumped into the madness. You all are amazing 😘

ElleElleG_0-1641013614552.jpeg

The "Rules"

To accommodate a variety of interests, you all are encouraged to pick items to pan that are most suitable to your collections.  For some, this might mean focusing on a particular type of product (like lipstick) and for others this may include a larger variety spanning your entire makeup or skincare routine.

Getting Started (please share the following)

• Which item(s) you would like to work on
  • How long you will work on said item
  • Goal: explore a new item, revisit an old item, decide whether to keep pass or trash, and/or completely finish item, etc.
  • Starting photo of item

Please Use This Thread To...

• share what item(s) you are working on,
  • provide comparative progress photos of your item(s) monthly (at the beginning of the month when possible),
  • ask questions,
  • encourage others,
  • motivate others with the looks you create with your item(s)

Tips and Tricks to Panning/Getting Some Use Out of Your Stash:

Spoiler
  • Take photos!!  When you think you aren’t making a dent in anything look back at those photos, I’m certain you’ll see some changes 😃
  • If you goal is to hit pan or use something up entirely, try concentrating your brush/applicator in the same area each time you use it
  • Multitask your products: eyeshadows as highlighter, lipstick as blush, eyeshadow as brow powder, etc. 
  • Layer eyeshadow to create different colors (this is especially helpful to get use out of shades you’re not fond of).
  • Have shadows with a ton of fall out?  Use water
  • Watching the progress of others’ can be fun but try not compare your progress to theirs.  We all use our makeup differently and have different goals.
  • Don’t restrict yourself to only using the item(s) you are working on.  It’s more than OK to incorporate other items or take a break!
  • Makeup should be fun….if you begin to dread doing your makeup because you made a commitment to use a product that you now hate, TOSS IT!  Do not force yourself to use up something you don’t like.  Move on to something else!  (This includes excluding particular shades from your goals if focusing on palettes, etc.)

Ideas to Help You Pan Those Items:

Spoiler
  • Roll the dice: number your items and use a random number generator to pick what you will use each (day/week/month/etc.) 
  • Layer/Mask: items you are less fond of under things you like
  • Pan a Look: at the beginning of the week pick a look that you can wear everyday
  • Recreate: a look worn by a fellow BICer, celebrity, etc.
  • Spice up an "everyday" look by adding subtle pops of color (in the crease or on the lower lash line, mix lip products to make shades wearable, etc.)

Past Panning Challenges:

Spoiler

Re: Pan It! - 2022 Challenge

Been a while since my last update, so here are my 2022 totals thus far! I plan on being way more organized and diligent with this in 2023!

The general idea was to pan a minimum of 25 makeup products and 1 fragrance. I normally find skincare and haircare categories that i go through quicker (although the numbers are not looking that way this year!), so I don't set goals for those categories.

YTD totals

• 53 total items, most of which are FS (yay!!)
  • Skincare: 18 
  • Haircare: 13
  • Makeup: 19 (!!!)
  • Fragrance: 0 (but i will say i made quite a dent in my Elizabeth and James Amethyst Nirvana and Derek Lam Drunk on Youth this year. Not sure what possessed me to buy a 175ml size of the Derek Lam, but we'll get through it!)
  • Other: 3

Hitting that 25 is going to be a little difficult, but I always love working through my collection, and it's certainly closer to my goal than any previous year doing this challenge!

@cianni -- crazy amount of stuff, that's amazing! 19 makeup items in a year? Wow. 

@heavyhedon thanks!! i have been trying to work through smaller sizes and older things in my collection before theyre a little too old to comfortably put on my face 😂

I get that, @cianni I have a Pixi Rose Flash Balm that I've relegated to using on my feet b/c it's so old, but I know it's still good. 

@heavyhedon that's actually such a good idea, especially around this time of year. the dryness is REAL

@cianni, your progress is super impressive! 19 makeup items panned?!!! Whoa! That's awesome.

@itsfi thanks! i feel like it may be mostly a timing thing.. items that i had attempted to pan in previous years FINALLY crossed the finish line. but a win is a win! now just to talk myself out of replacing categories ive made so much progress on..

Absolutely @cianni! Timing does play a big role in our panning, doesn't it? That's cool that you've finished items that you've come back to. Not just because you finished it but it's smart to know when to pull back and move onto another product. A break can be good. I need to remind myself of that from time to time.

@itsfi my rule is "when it stops being fun, time to put it aside for a while"!

That's a great rule @cianni!

Great job!! @cianni 

@lmaster thank you!! ❤️

Oops - forgot to do the November update!

• Panned 5 items this month so far! 
  • Hit pan on a powder foundation (total surprise - this is just a product i love using on a daily basis and realized yesterday i could see the bottom! just a tiny pan for now, but i wasn't expecting it!)
  • Notable panned products this month: Laura Mercier Matte Radiance Baked Powder Compact Highlight 01 (this has been hanging around my collection for too long. although beautiful, i'm happy she's finally done!), SEPHORA COLLECTION Clean Lip Balm & Scrub Dragonfruit (think this is my second or third of these i've gone through already), Tata Harper Resurfacing BHA Glow Mask (didn't love it, not too sad to see her go!)

@cianni -- Aw, the Laura Mercier powder is so pretty, isn't it? I got a sample once and liked it so much.

@heavyhedon soooo pretty! it's just the perfect glowy look, which can be hard to find in a powder product!

November Update--

Here we are, near the end. Getting close on the ELF Hydrating Water Essence; using it 2/day plus 7 skins once a week, and I honestly think it won't last through November:

Oct.'s mark--Oct.'s mark--Nov.Nov.

Not so much extra on the Pixi Brow palette; if I can find my spare spoolies, I'll finally try it as mascara, but have been using it as my go-to cake liner as well as often used in brows. One month to go! 

Slightly expanded pan in some shadesSlightly expanded pan in some shades

My tier-of-samples use has been so-so-- I did finish up 2 trial sized foundations just this weekend. The Purlisse BB Cream is great for me, and I'll certainly get more at some point. The Wander Beauty, I liked in the spring but as soon as cool weather began, it started to look mask-like no matter what, so that's a nope for me. Made it through 3 lippy samples: Nars Orgasm balm, which is great for me; and two CT matte lipstick flats. I already have a full sized Pillow Talk (Thank you @TeamBIC for the lovely gratis!) and it's a winner, but Bond Girl made my teeth look yellow right after a cleaning, so it's not for me. Assorted single use foundation samples got tried, nothing that thrilled me.I am hereby declaring the Sample Tier of this year's project Fini, as my skin has been a bit touchy of late and I need to stop trying new face products for a bit to let the sensitivity die down. 

Spoiler
update more nov 004.JPG

However, as the ELF surely won't last much longer, I'm throwing in a new (old) item I don;t love so much but would like a spur to use up, an SC Micellar water. I adored their old formula that had all the different "flavors," like Yudzu and Pomegranate, but this one is not as pleasant to use, being on the greasy side. 

update more nov 002.JPG

Nothing seems to show on the TF Sweet Peach palette shade Puree despite me using it as highlight, blush, etc. I'm going to call it for the year on that one too, and just enjoy the palette as a whole for a while. That's it for my regular items, now for the mini seasonal pan:

That Autumn Glow🕯--

Lots of use on these blushers-- 5+ times each except for the highlighters; but I confess, I used the NYX Sweet Cheeks in Taupe more often than the rest. Such a good contour, and used it as liner nice as well. Maybe the usage shows a little?

Spoiler
pan update nov 002.JPGpan update nov 001.JPGpan update nov 003.JPG

Anyway, too little of November left to make a new mini, I'm thinking about one last one for December. Good luck, everybody, with our end-of-year stretch goals. Thanks for reading!

@heavyhedon, your work on the e.l.f. toner is spectacular!!! 😍 You are on your way to finishing up with that beauty! I cannot wait to hear about it being D - O - N - E !!! Soon, very soon! Excited for you!

Super impressed with the Pixi brow palette - pan is everywhere in that palette! Amazing job. The lines, dips and dents all point to work in progress. Great to see! 

TY, @itsfi  I'm so glad to know the ELF will be gone. I've had it so long. It was a requested gift from my MIL, so I could never just toss it.

It's been a while, here's my update on Bones! I'm also already starting to get everything ready for next years pan project lol. So far I've completed at least 6 of my goals...but I also am certain I've forgotten to mark a lot as well oops lol. So it might actually be more than that.  I've also been very happily surprised to see a huge dent in a different eye shadow I've been using. Bones and the GXVE are my go to for work. But now that it is getting cooler and I won't be sweating at work I can go back to using my other eye shadow project I've been doing. 

End of JulyEnd of JulyEnd of OctoberEnd of October

GXVE 1GXVE 1GXVE 2GXVE 2

Love, love, loooooove seeing that pan space on Bones getting larger and larger every time you post @Samtian! Must be so exciting for you! 😍 Look at the dip in the GXVE eyeshadow palette - that is fantastic! Keep it up!

I've been thinking off and on about which products I want to include in next year's project pan. Hoping to finalize that soon - ish. lol.

@itsfi Thank you! I love watching the progress. I can't wait to see what you come up with!

3 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos343
  • ElleElleG_0-1641013614552.jpeg
  • A15495AA-E953-4061-8926-557AE53A9B64.jpeg
  • E3930FCF-77AC-42DD-B512-0B1531126F01.jpeg
  • EFD870EE-BD61-47EF-B867-BEA9B67D32DD.jpeg
  • BTE + UTNG
  • Dec Perfume Pan.jpg
  • Ulta Eyeliner Pan Project.jpg
  • B2E72D87-03E7-4091-ACB8-EE6B85CC58F9.jpeg
  • yearlong, base minis, CoC, palette