Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Pan It! - 2022 Challenge

Welcome to the Pan It Challenge, 2022 Edition!!

I'm claiming a 2022 that's greater than our wildest imaginations, also for my longtimers this will be our FIFTH YEAR doing this challenge. Thanks to all who've stuck around and everyone who's tested themselves and jumped into the madness. You all are amazing 😘

ElleElleG_0-1641013614552.jpeg

The "Rules"

To accommodate a variety of interests, you all are encouraged to pick items to pan that are most suitable to your collections.  For some, this might mean focusing on a particular type of product (like lipstick) and for others this may include a larger variety spanning your entire makeup or skincare routine.

Getting Started (please share the following)

• Which item(s) you would like to work on
  • How long you will work on said item
  • Goal: explore a new item, revisit an old item, decide whether to keep pass or trash, and/or completely finish item, etc.
  • Starting photo of item

Please Use This Thread To...

• share what item(s) you are working on,
  • provide comparative progress photos of your item(s) monthly (at the beginning of the month when possible),
  • ask questions,
  • encourage others,
  • motivate others with the looks you create with your item(s)

Tips and Tricks to Panning/Getting Some Use Out of Your Stash:

Spoiler
  • Take photos!!  When you think you aren’t making a dent in anything look back at those photos, I’m certain you’ll see some changes 😃
  • If you goal is to hit pan or use something up entirely, try concentrating your brush/applicator in the same area each time you use it
  • Multitask your products: eyeshadows as highlighter, lipstick as blush, eyeshadow as brow powder, etc. 
  • Layer eyeshadow to create different colors (this is especially helpful to get use out of shades you’re not fond of).
  • Have shadows with a ton of fall out?  Use water
  • Watching the progress of others’ can be fun but try not compare your progress to theirs.  We all use our makeup differently and have different goals.
  • Don’t restrict yourself to only using the item(s) you are working on.  It’s more than OK to incorporate other items or take a break!
  • Makeup should be fun….if you begin to dread doing your makeup because you made a commitment to use a product that you now hate, TOSS IT!  Do not force yourself to use up something you don’t like.  Move on to something else!  (This includes excluding particular shades from your goals if focusing on palettes, etc.)

Ideas to Help You Pan Those Items:

Spoiler
  • Roll the dice: number your items and use a random number generator to pick what you will use each (day/week/month/etc.) 
  • Layer/Mask: items you are less fond of under things you like
  • Pan a Look: at the beginning of the week pick a look that you can wear everyday
  • Recreate: a look worn by a fellow BICer, celebrity, etc.
  • Spice up an "everyday" look by adding subtle pops of color (in the crease or on the lower lash line, mix lip products to make shades wearable, etc.)

Past Panning Challenges:

Spoiler

Re: Pan It! - 2022 Challenge

@Samtian -- woo, nice dips all over the place and nice big PAN!

I very much like the Gwen palette too, I do in fact find it to be a great multi-use set, and it's just handy to keep around to pair with more colorful palettes. 

@heavyhedon Thank you!! I'm very happy with the progress. That Gwen is so handy! I never would have gotten it myself but now I can't see myself without it. 

Mornin' panning pals! Hope the fall has been good to everyone. I've been putting my head down and working - at work and on my pan projects - for the last few months, and updates haven't been as complete or detailed, but I've been keeping up with everyone's panning - whoa! So much great progress folks have made. 🙌 It's been super exciting to see. 😍

Monthly Summary: October was an exceptional month for my panning efforts, which has served as a welcome dose of motivation to keep at it. In total, 5 products completely used up and 2 new pans. 

First up are the October All Stars - the 5 products that have been completely used up. (NOTE: Hourglass Vanish Flash Highlighting Stick - Champagne Flash was feeling camera shy and missed this photo shoot! 😜

10.31.2022 Pan 1a.jpg

Spoiler
10.31.2022 Pan 1b.jpg

That Hourglass highlighter had been a huge challenge for me for most of the year - I liked it but just didn't reach for it as frequently as other highlighters. It wasn’t until I decided to mix it with the Kiehl’s Creme du Corps for a DIY body highlighter that I started seeing significant movement in both. Yaaaay for doubling up! DONE & DONE!! 

I made a conscious effort to use the last remnants of the Guerlain KissKiss Shine Bloom Lipstick Balm at least twice per week. At one point it was the only lip product on my purse 👜 which almost never happens! Because what remained was in the tube, I transferred it into a small container and used it on its own as well as a prep for matte lipsticks. That paid off and I can check the box on this one - DONE! 

Essie Apricot Nail & Cuticle Oil has made steady progress all year long. This month saw the last few bits of it being used up. DONE!  Such a good feeling. My nails look better when I’m consistent with cuticle oil. Lesson learned.

Finally, one of my most challenging pan products - belif Moisturizing Eye Cream - the seemingly bottomless jar has, in fact, a bottom. And I hit it this month thanks to an under eye area that was particularly dry. lol. Woohoo! DONE!  

Next up are the pan products that just keep hanging on! 😆 We’re soooo close with each of these. I just have to keep chipping away at these.

10.31.2022 Pan 2a.jpg

Spoiler

10.31.2022 Pan 2b.jpg
10.31.2022 Pan 2c.jpg
The amika Triple Rx Hair Mask and Trader Joe’s Grapefruit Body Scrub look like they can be used up by or  beore the end of November. 

Will have to find a way to polish off the Tom Ford Soleil Flawless Glow Foundation SPF 30. I don’t typically reach for it very often in the cooler seasons as my summer “tan” starts to fade, but I will make more of an effort to try to work it in more so that I can finish it up. TF no longer produces this foundation, which is too bad. Some of my slow progress in using it up is that once this is gone, it's gone. But it really needs to be used up soon; I've had it for a good while. A little of the Sephora Collection Hair Scrub goes a long way so it will require a good amount of effort to polish off before year end. Fingers crossed.🤞🏼 

This group of beauties are the ones that can be frustrating for me, mainly because I keep getting distracted by other similar products. I’ve been employing a different strategy for these items and it seems to be working, slowly but surely. 👊🏼 

10.31.2022 Pan 3a.jpg

Spoiler

10.31.2022 Pan 3b.jpg
We hit pan on the Sephora Collection Clean Velvet Cream Blush Palette - yesssss!!! 🙌🏼 This is due solely to having recruited this for a DIY tinted lip balm that sits on my desk at work - I’ve taken a mini Laneige lip sleeping mask (which I like and reach for often) and added color to it by mixing it with one of these cream blushes. My goal was to hit pan on one of these blushes so it looks like I’m DONE!  

I can’t tell how far along I am with the Westman Atelier Lip Suede: Les Nudes, but it has been getting regular use. For some of my deeper lipsticks, I’ve been using the lightest lip shade in the compact as a base / primer. Will keep that up and see where we stand at the end of November. 🤞🏼 

Ohhhh, tarte blush - Paaarty, when will you be used up completely??!! As you can see, it’s suffered an injury - I was unpacking from a trip and this flew out of the bag before I safely could put it away. The product remained intact, but it’s probably not going to be part of any travel makeup. This one I’m committed to using up one way or another. It started with me on my project pan journey and gosh darn it, I’m not walking away from it. 

The Kosas Cloud Set Baked Setting & Smoothing Talc-Free Vegan Powder has seen more use since I’ve converted a little of it at a time into a loose powder. I’m pretty sure this won’t get used up before the year is over; I’m aiming to just work my way through it as much as I can. 

Same with the Chanel lip liner which has seen zero love from me over the last 2 months. 🤔My plan a couple months back was to pair it with the Guerlain lippie and while the Guerlain received a lot of attention, the lipliner ended up just sitting in one of the pockets of my handbag. It will most certainly not be finished up by year end but I'm gonna need to brainstorm a way to get more use out of this one if any traction is going to be made. Siiiigh.

That leads us to Natasha Denona Biba Eyeshadow Palette, the most popular product in my project pan. And there's some good news!

10.31.2022 Pan 4a.jpg

Spoiler

10.31.2022 Pan 4b.jpg
Tusk is coming along beautifully and we keep moving along with the three shimmery shades, which I’ve noticed have all become more and more crumbly (and make a bigger mess when I use them) - it's making me pick up a lot of product as excess, which means I'm going through them more quickly, but because it's excess product being picked up (or kicked up in the pan), it makes me feel like I'm wasting product. Will have to think about what, if anything, I need to do to fix this.  

10.31.2022 Pan 4c.jpg

What doesn’t need fixing is Seed. We’ve (finally) hit pan on another shadow. Ohhhh yeaahhh!! 👍🏼🙌🏼👏🏼👊🏼 I’m so happy!! 😃 

All in all, October saw major progress and has been a good motivator for pushing through to the end of the year with my 2022  panning goals. 

Tags:

Yay for finishing so many products, @itsfi , and hitting new pans! Seed is s gorgeous shade, and the SC blushers are so pretty. You have panned so much this year, it's amazing. I'm also getting more use of the powder I crushed up for loose, so happy I did it.

Too bad about the Paaarty blush. Just had a blush mishap last week too; I opened TF Love Flush mini in Love Hangover, which I luvvved, and saw that it had an odd whitish cast, and when I touched it, it was a little bit damp feeling, like the blush had gotten over heated and was breaking down.While looking in the storage to make sure there hadn't been some kind of actual liquid leak, I found that a mini Bite Multi-Stick in Cashew also had a problem-- I think maybe that item was the one breaking down and the powder mini stored near it got affected. Tossed 'em, sadly, and moved all cream blushers into a ziploc. As with your Tom Ford Soleil, these are discontinued items so it is a drag to see them die, but at least they made it into projects this year & last. Thank goodness for Pan It!

Good luck with your final run! 

Thank you so much @heavyhedon! I could not have done all this panning without this thread, you and others here. This thread has kept me accountable and so many folks here have been so encouraging and supportive. Appreciate it and everyone! 💖

I loved your idea for crushing pressed powder; it's been helpful for getting more use out of some items I just didn't reach for very often. It's great to find ways to repurpose things! 

@itsfi YAY SEED!!!!! That lip liner looks pretty. Love seeing all the pans!

Thank you so much @Samtian! It felt great to see pan on the Seed shade! For a minute it felt like it didn’t have a bottom. 😆 

The lip liner is really pretty! I need to do a lot better about using it more regularly. 

5B83B7A8-6386-4B94-B2CC-F86686C9C26B.jpeg

@itsfi Ooh that is pretty!

It is @Samtian! I need to wear it more - this one and lip liners in general. Ha! I'll be making that my primary lip liner for 2023 and yes, it will be part of next year's project pan. It got little, almost zero, love this year. Boo, itsfi, boo!!

Wow great job @itsfi ! Impressive number of pans 😊💝💖

Thank you @Nahnom! It’s taken some time but it feels good to have hit pan on some items. 😊 

Excellent job!! @itsfi get em gone 🙌

Thank you @lmaster! “get ‘em gone” is the perfect motto for the pan it! challenge! Love it! 🥰

Update

Awesome work @Nahnom -- very satisfying to see a high end item like the CT corrector get pan. 

Great job!! 🙌 @Nahnom 

Wow!!! @Nahnom, you have every reason to be very proud with your progress.  You've done an outstanding work with these beauties. 😍 I see more and more pan on the CT concealer and that MILK blush!!! Whoa! 🎉 I have the hardest time with panning blush, as a blush, and am super impressed, and inspired, by your progress! Excellent work! 💗

@Nahnom Wooo great job!!

Sorry for the late post for my September pan update.

Monthly Summary: I have a few projects in the works involving the combination of 2, sometimes 3, of my project pan items. They’re moving along more quickly than before - yes!!! - but I still need to do a better job of reaching for them more frequently during the week. 

That said, some good news to share - thanks to some extra dry lips in September (the summer-fall transition was not kind to my lips), I used up the innisfree Green Tea Lip Sleeping Mask!! 🙌🏼 I like this lip balm but I also like that I am DONE! 

9.2022 Pan 1.jpg

I'm not quiiiite done with the Natasha Denona Biba Eyeshadow Palette, but definitely plugging away nicely with it. I was a little distracted by other eye products in the summer, but did a better job of incorporating Biba with my eye looks in September. 

9.2022 Pan 2.jpg

The shade Tusk (last row, last shadow) is hanging in there - this will be a stretch goal, but I am going to say November for full pan. 😃 I’ll be both happy and sad when I fully pan this shadow. It’s been the workhorse of my project pan efforts since I started. 

Monroe (second row, second shadow) saw more progress, in part because a section was a bit crumbly and on a few occasions, I ended up picking up more product than I needed or typically grab with my brush. This has become one of my favorite shadows from this palette.

It’s still so close between Seed (last row, first shadow) or Coco (first row, third shadow) for which of these will see its first showing of pan. I’m thinking I’ll hit pan on at least one by the end of this month and maybe November for the other one. 🤞🏼 

@itsfi 

Finishing up a lip mask is so sweeeeet. Regular balms, I go through every month and a half or a little more, but the masks last and last. Kudos!

@heavyhedon, this one has had its stop and go moments! I went through a spell when it was all I reached for at night before I turned off the lights, and then another when I’d leave it on my desk at work and it was my only lip balm for the day. I had several lip balms / sleeping masks that had 1/4 or less of the jar / tube left, so I put them all in a bowl near the front door and would grab one on the way out and aim to use it until it was done. 

Conversation Stats
Photos343
  • ElleElleG_0-1641013614552.jpeg
  • A15495AA-E953-4061-8926-557AE53A9B64.jpeg
  • E3930FCF-77AC-42DD-B512-0B1531126F01.jpeg
  • EFD870EE-BD61-47EF-B867-BEA9B67D32DD.jpeg
  • BTE + UTNG
  • Dec Perfume Pan.jpg
  • Ulta Eyeliner Pan Project.jpg
  • B2E72D87-03E7-4091-ACB8-EE6B85CC58F9.jpeg
  • yearlong, base minis, CoC, palette
  • The chosen ones