Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Pan It! - 2017 Challenge!

After chatting with a few of you it seems we were in need of an official "Project Pan" thread for longterm projects to get some use out of our respective makeup collections.  All are welcome to participate!

To accommodate various interests the purpose of this thread is for participants to pick at least 1 item (preferably an eyeshadow palette) to use for at least a month (for a "one month one palette") or until December 31, 2017.  You do not have to use the selected item(s) exclusively and working on simultaneous items is more than OK!

**No project is too big or too small, you know your collection, your goals, and your limitations, do what works best for you!**

Please use this thread to: 

• share what item(s) you are working on,
  • provide comparative progress photos of your item(s) monthly (at the beginning of the month when possible),
  • ask questions,
  • encourage others,
  • motivate others with the looks you create with your item(s)

To get started let us know:

• Which item(s) you would like to work on
  • How long you will work on said item
  • Goal: explore a new item, revisit an old item, decide whether to keep pass or trash, and/or completely finish item, etc.
  • Starting photo of item

Tips and Tricks to Panning/Getting Some Use Out of Your Stash:

Spoiler
  • Take photos!!  When you think you aren’t making a dent in anything look back at those photos, I’m certain you’ll see some changes 🙂
  • If you goal is to hit pan or use something up entirely, try concentrating your brush/applicator in the same area each time you use it
  • Multitask your products: eyeshadows as highlighter, lipstick as blush, eyeshadow as brow powder, etc. 
  • Layer eyeshadow to create different colors (this is especially helpful to get use out of shades you’re not fond of).
  • Have shadows with a ton of fall out?  Use water
  • Watching the progress of others’ can be fun but try not compare your progress to theirs.  We all use our makeup differently and have different goals.
  • Don’t restrict yourself to only using the item(s) you are working on.  It’s more than OK to incorporate other items or take a break!
  • Makeup should be fun….if you begin to dread doing your makeup because you have committed to use a product that you now hate, TOSS IT!  Do not force yourself to use up something you don’t like.  Move on to something else

Need some challenges/ideas to help you along the way?  Here are some:

Spoiler
  • Pan a look:  At the beginning of the week pick a look that you can wear everyday Recreate a look worn by a fellow BICer, celebrity, etc.
  • Spice up an “everyday” look by throwing a different color in your crease or on your lower lash line
  • Roll the dice: pick 2-3 of your most underused shades in your palette and create a look

Prefer to pan other color items like highlighters or blush?  Feel free to share your items, goals, and progress as well 😉

Now let's see some pan!

**2018 Panning Challenge Thread located here: https://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confidential/Pan-It-2018-Challenge/m-p/3604337#M317498

Re: Pan It! - 2017 Challenge

haha i'll check it out. thanks for the invite! i'm not big into perfumes or anything but have just accumulated so many scents and samples. i'm also working my way through all the skincare samples and that has been fun actually!

Thank you for starting this challenge @elleelleg! With so...

Thank you for starting this challenge @ElleElleG! With so many neutral palettes in my drawers, this will be motivation to get at least close to moving one out by next summer. This year I'd love to see at least three pans in my Naked Basics palette... hopefully finish by next July. *knock on wood*wish me luck* It'll be my primary work horse for everyday work neutral looks. The only color that looks close to pan (or even touched) is Naked 2... Edit: spacing 😊

pretty sure you just took a picture of my palette. lol. N...

pretty sure you just took a picture of my palette. lol. Naked2 definitely has the deepest dent!

Re: Thank you for starting this challenge @elleelleg! With so...

@angelKiss24 You have a great dip going in the Naked 2 shade!  I'm sure you can get down to pan in no time!

BTW, I feel like I haven't seen you in ages, can't wait to see your awesome makeup skills 💜

@elleelleg, thank you!! you're making me blush hahah. I c...

@ElleElleG, thank you!! you're making me blush hahah. I can't wait to see your looks too! I've been a bit MIA online because the summer here in the PNW is too beautiful to not be in nature 😁...I traded in my lazy weekends for these 🗻

Re: @elleelleg, thank you!! you're making me blush hahah. I c...

OMG @angelKiss24 I cannot blame you, I would be MIA for a long long time if I got to experience this breathtaking view!!

I am not necessarily trying to pan anything, but my two stila "in the...." palettes don't get much love. My goal is to use at least one of them once each week. I'll try it for the rest of the year and then see where I'm at. It's late, but I will add photos of the current status of them.

Thanks for making this thread @ElleElleG. It's so easy to get stuck in a rut, and this really helps get away from that!

Absolutely @snoflakefaerie !  I agree that it's easy to get stuck in a rut with makeup.  I can't wait to see your progress with the palettes 🙂

Thanks for the wonderful thread and encouragement to hit pan @ElleElleG!

These are the products I have hit pan on (real close on the Butter Bronzer) and have yet to toss. I love them all & I am determined to finish them all!

Maybelline Fit Me! Powder, Too Faced Pink Leopard Blushing Bronzer, Physician's Formula Butter BronzerMaybelline Fit Me! Powder, Too Faced Pink Leopard Blushing Bronzer, Physician's Formula Butter BronzerToo Faced Baby Love (From my Love Flushed palette)Too Faced Baby Love (From my Love Flushed palette)

the butter bronzer from physicians formula is the best th...

the butter bronzer from physicians formula is the best thing ever. I have the lighter shade and yesterday I saw pan and was like "Huh. so that's doable"

@gonerogue The Maybelline powder looks like it will be completed in no time and the Too Faced isn't far behind! 

pan project 1.jpg

Yay! Glad we have another project/challenge going on. I decided on these 4. They are 4 of my oldest make up items. My goal is to hit pan in at least one color for each. Or at least get them some use, since they just sit at the bottom. 

Top Row: Maybelline #20 Velvet Crush, CG #220 Urban Basics, CG #118 Major Distraction

Bottom Maybelline#30 Rose Tints

All beautiful shades that look like they will pair very well together @Samtian and I can see dips in a couple pans!  

I've been excited to document everything that's been a work in progress and share with everyone here. I've been lazily trying to use up a lot of these items but always find myself distracted by some new pretty item. Now, with this thread, I will commit myself to finishing these items before moving onto other items.

Bronzers:

Hourglass Ambient Lighting Palette: This is one of my favorite items and I plan to purchase it again once I finish my other bronzers.

Chanel Soleil Tan de Chanel: This is a cream based bronzer and goes well with my skin tone in the summer when I get darker. I use a light hand with this because a little goes a long way. It blends easily when my skin is at its best (not dry) in the summer time. It has a subtle orange tint to it which I do not like. For that reason I will not repurchase this item.

Marc Jacobs Light Filtering Contour Powder: Good for contouring but I would not consider this to be a must have for my collection. I'm on the fence about re-purchasing.

Spoiler
FullSizeRender (48).jpg

Cream based products:

NARS The Multiple: Me and this NARS Orgasm blush go way back. The cream blends in easily into my skin, even when I have dry patches. The only downside is NARS decision to sell in China, which requires animal testing. For that reason, I will not repurchase. 

Tom Ford Foundation Stick: It is creamy, provides medium coverage and works well with my skin type, which is dry. I will not repurchase because I have committed myself to investing in cruelty free items in the future.

Marc Jacobs Concealer: This is a great product and a small amount of concealer can do wonders. I don't have a problem with my under eye area so I don't reach for this too often. I will not repurchase as I do not see myself using this often in the future.

Spoiler
FullSizeRender (49).jpg

Highlighters:

Estee Lauder Heatwave: As much as I have a penchant for highlighters I've done a poor job of finishing any product. This is a great highlighter for all skin types and tones. I will commit myself to finishing this highlighter before the year is over!

Becca Opal: This is a rich highlighter that I use quite often. I enjoy the texture and the natural glow this product offers. I have some deluxe sized highlighters from Becca so I will use those up before I repurchase a full size Becca Opal.

Spoiler
FullSizeRender (50).jpg

Eyeshadow:

Tom Ford Eyeshadow Quads in Golden Mink & Seductive Rose:

I've got a lot of work ahead! Id like to finish these by the end of the year.

I absolutely love the texture and colors of these quads. They go quite well with my skin tone. Sadly I will not buy any more Tom Ford items until that brand commits itself to being cruelty free.

Spoiler
FullSizeRender (51).jpg

Lipsticks (my weakness):

Too many to list (NARS, Tom Ford, Bite, MAC, Dior). I assure you I will finish these before the end of the year! 

Spoiler
FullSizeRender (53).jpg

Honorable mentions:

So close to the finish line! Im nearly done with this Bite Buttercream lipstick in Caramel (also works well as a cream contour).

That little nub is (was) a Tarte eyeliner in "Purple Garnet." I've got one to two more uses left, if I'm lucky. I clearly love this eyeliner and wish it was still in production.

Spoiler
 FullSizeRender (54).jpg

@trishavt you are on a roll; so awesome that you are focusing on multiple aspects of your collection!  

Thanks for sharing your pics and thoughts on each item. I'm floored at that Hourglass palette!  Also is that the original Heat Wave??

@ElleElleG It's been a lot of work to get to this point but I can see the finish line 🙂

That is the original heatwave. I got it I'm 2015 so it's about time I finish it up. have you tried heatwave? 

Wow @trishavt!!! I'm speechless!!! Bravo for almost finishing these products!!!! I will need to stick to the rule of not buying anything until i finish at least one.  You're my inspiration 😉

Okie I can't decide which eyeshadow palette I need to work on yet but I love to finish theseChanel Camelia de Plumes, Chanel Lumiere D'Ete and NARS One Night StandChanel Camelia de Plumes, Chanel Lumiere D'Ete and NARS One Night StandI can't pan the stuff animal 😉 He just happens to be there. Can you tell our  house got overrun with baby toys and makeup? Lol! Time for cleaning up 😉

i have been working on the same nars pallet...the struggle is real.

LOL @blackkitty2014 the stuffed animal is a great accent to your photo!

Love the embossing on the Chanel items and I see some great progress in the NARS palette

Fabulous thread idea!  @ElleElleG

I'm not sure how much I'll actually participate because I have soooooo many palettes that my personal goal is to rotate them more so I actually use them. 😉

I have very few items that I'm actually close to pan on:

IMG_0929.JPG

1.  UD Naked 3 - Shade Dust:  In all honesty, though, I don't see myself using up the whole palette anytime soon.

2.  NARS Super Orgasm:  This was my very first NARS product and I have had it for many years (probably almost a decade by now!), and I wore the heck out of it when I first got it, but it is just way too glitery for me now, so I don't see myself using it up.

3.  MUFE singles:  These will definitely be used up because I literally use them every day as base shades under my other eyeshadow.   The problem is, I don't remember what color they are and I'm already itching to buy back-ups....😊

3 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos80
  • Jan 2017
  • Feb 2017
  • Mar 2017
  • Apr. 2017
  • May 2017
  • June 2017
  • Finished June 14 2017
  • IMG_0249.JPG
  • IMG_0768.JPG