Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Mostur

I’m having seriously the driest skin my face is so itchy and I’m using moisturizer's all the time I have very hard water and it’s making my skin look and feel so bad is there any advice for products to use for this issue?

@cocokind 

Tags:

Re: Mostur

@NiqeeE  Can you install a hard water filter on your sink faucet and/or a hard water shower head? That'd be much cheaper than installing a whole house water softening system, though that's also a good idea (if you own a home or live with a homeowner, and the system's within budget). A hard water filter should reduce mineral deposits, which in turn helps your skin. 

Also, try a waterless/no-rinse cleanser at least a few times a week to give your skin a break from the hard water. Here’s the basic method I’ve used on my mostly-dry combo skin, especially while visiting relatives in Florida (they have very hard water): 

Spoiler
  1. Apply a cleansing oil or balm to skin (no water needed). This breaks up my sunscreen in lieu of my usual water-required cleanser. 

2. Spray on a hydrating mist to get skin wet. Depending on the oil/balm used, a hydrating mist will help it emulsify as you massage your face. My inflammation-prone skin loves COSRX Centella Water Alcohol-Free Toner, but I also like Timeless HA Matrixyl 3000 w/Cucumber Spray. You can use whatever hydrating mist you like. You can even use spray cans of water by Avene or Evian, or Caudalie Grape Water Moisturizing Face Mist 2.5 oz/ 75 mL. 

3. Wipe away residue with a soft microfiber or bamboo cloth. You could also use a makeup wipe or water wipe for this if you want, but I prefer reusables when possible. Sometimes I’ll spray the cloth with my hydrating mist to get it damp before wiping my face. 

4. If necessary, follow with a micellar water that doesn’t need to be rinsed off. My favorites for this are Bioderma Sensibio H2O and Simple Kind to Skin. 

5. Apply a very hydrating serum while skin’s damp. (Use hydrating mist to re-dampen skin if needed.) This helps the serum penetrate skin and gives it some moisture to pull beneath the surface. My favorite is The Ordinary Buffet Anti-Aging Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL, but also consider The INKEY List Polyglutamic Acid Hydrating Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL

6. Apply moisturizer to damp (but not soaking wet) skin. (If your skin’s dried down by this point, use that hydrating mist again.) That way, you’ll seal in hydration instead of dryness. FYI, this goes for your body as well as your face. 
And consider trying a different moisturizer that might be more occlusive than the one you tagged. Some good inexpensive options are CeraVe Moisturizing Cream, Vanicream Moisturizing Cream, Aveeno Eczema Therapy Itch Relief Balm (or the Daily Moisturizing Cream from that line, marketed as a body lotion but can be used on the face), etc. 

Hope you get some relief soon! I know firsthand how miserable that hard water itch is. 

Re: Mostur

Any products rich in coconut oil are good for dry skin...

3 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing