Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Love At First Sample!!! ๐Ÿฅฐ

I know youโ€™ve tried a sample (or ten) of something and it was so magical it made you stop everything and buy a product cause it was love at first sample!  What was it and did the full sized version live up to your initial heart-melted impression? Or is it still on your shopping list to pick up at your earliest convenience?  

The first time I can recall this happening to me was when Sephora still carried Dermadoctor.  I had a sample of their KP Duty Body Scrub.  I used it just to push it through my stash and was absolutely blown away by how immediately soft and exfoliated my skin was!  Instant purchase!   Itโ€™s been six years and I have yet to find any body scrub that compares -and Iโ€™ve tried!

A more recent love-at-first-sample is the Dior Backstage Face and Body Primer!  Itโ€™s a slightly peach tinted,creamy gel consistency and is mega hydrating while blurring subtle imperfections on its own but making foundation apply so smoothly!!!  Plus it has a beautiful floral fragrance which may not be everyoneโ€™s cup of tea but itโ€™s very pleasing to me. ๐Ÿ™‚  

Dior BACKSTAGE Face & Body Primer 1.6 oz/ 50 mL 

DD1045C5-8116-4168-8E3F-956F889C7256.gif

โ€ƒ

3A43182D-7CF8-4635-A0A3-6C4D9C155F6A.jpeg

โ€ƒ

Re: Love At First Sample!!! ๐Ÿฅฐ

@alexasteph  ditto on the Sol de Janeiro Bom Dia Brightโ„ข Visibly Brightening and Smoothing Body Cream with Vitamin C 8.1 oz / ... ! I like the original but sometimes the smell is too much for me in the summer. Bom Dia is just what I've been looking for! A gentler smell and some extra skin loving benefits. I'm glad I got the sample in time to still order a tub during the sale ๐Ÿ˜

@SurprisedLemur I am obsessed with the scent for the original Bum Bum, so Iโ€™m so glad itโ€™s what they use for their deo. For me, the issue I have with the original is the fact itโ€™s tinted with those little illuminating whatever they call them haha. A few years ago, when I had a small jar of it, it was my first time using it and I didnโ€™t realize exactly how *illuminating* it was and wore it on my legs to a summer weddingโ€ฆ the inside of my dress was stained and I felt like my legs were sparkling orange hahaha. Bom Dia works perfectly though! I have a small jar of Sol de Janeiro Mini Beija Florโ„ข Collagen-Boosting Elasti-Cream with Bio-Retinol and Squalane 2.5 oz/... coming with my final sale order so Iโ€™m quite excited to try that. 

@alexasteph Really?! I've never noticed that! Though I've only ever tried it through samples.

I got the Beija promo just before the sale and although I loved the texture of the cream, the smell just wasn't for me. It was very powdery / bordering grandma-y. I think scents smell so different depending on your body chemistry though so maybe it will work for you ๐Ÿ™‚

The scent of sol de janeiro's products is to die for, I'm in love with their lip balm! Sol de Janeiro Brazilian Kiss Cupuaรงu Lip Butter 0.21 oz/ 6.2g ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ‘ @alexasteph 

@Skunk12puzzola I have been interested in trying thatโ€ฆ does it have SPF? I need to be better about using lip balms with SPF! 

No, it doesn't. But you can use it at home maybe, so then you don't have to worry about it because you are indoors. I, personally, don't use spf products, I don't like the smell of it and I'm lazy about skincare. I have a lip balm with spf in it, it's from Fresh fresh Sugar Mint Rush Freshening Lip Treatment .15 oz / 4.3 g . It's very nourishing and it's nice under the face mask because you can feel a cooling effect that is really nice when you are outside running errands ๐Ÿฅฐ @alexasteph 

@Skunk12puzzola , @alexasteph ,

The fresh Sugar Mint Rush Freshening Lip Treatment .15 oz / 4.3 g doesn't have SPF as far as I can see.  I use it and I am sensitive to many chemical SPF's.  So many of the pretty tinted Fresh lip balms have chemical SPF,  but I don't think that this minty one does.

Ooops....my mistake. I know that the tinted ones have spf, so I assumed that mine have it also! sorry ladies ๐Ÿคฃ @tsavorite @alexasteph 

@Skunk12puzzola ,

No worries!  I'm just so glad that Fresh's clear balms don't have chemical SPF, so I can at least use those.  

@Skunk12puzzola I love the Fresh Sugar line! Itโ€™s just so expensive for lip balm ๐Ÿ˜ซ

@alexasteph  A good dupe for the fresh lip balms is DHC lip balm.  Itโ€™s not the same scent obviously but the feel is sooo close!  

@heartsmyface Hmโ€ฆ DHC? I donโ€™t think Iโ€™ve heard of it! Which stores carry it? 

@alexasteph, in the US, the DHC lip balm that @heartsmyface mentioned (or at least I think it's the one hearts is referring to) can be found online at dermstore, skincarerx, skinstore and lookfantastic (us site). These sites have sales occasionally - Lookfantastic is currently having a Friends & Family sale. @tsavorite 

Photo from US Lookfantastic sitePhoto from US Lookfantastic site

If there's a Japanese or Asian Beauty store near you, you might be able to find this lip balm there as well. I have also seen it on amazon.

@alexasteph Oh gosh theyโ€™re so popular  i bet theyโ€™re on Amazon for sure, yesstyle will have them, you can buy them through most international beauty services, Iherb, their own international website, and you can usually find their products in Asian grocery stores in the self care aisles.    The brand is renowned for their cleansing oil and lip balm.  

@alexasteph ,

DHC has a website.  DHC care dot com.  Ulta carries some DHC items, but not yet the lip balm.  You can find other sites that carry DHC products online.  DHC has been around for a long, long time. They will send catalogs to your house, and samples. They are originally from Japan and use olive oil in many of their products.  I don't think they have SPF in their lip balm, though.  I use their lip balm and again, I have a problem with chemical sunscreens.

Oh! If you are on a hunt for a cheaper lip balm with spf, maybe check out blistex. They have a wide variety of lip balms, and they are very cheap! @alexasteph 

@alexasteph  I was just noting last night how I go through that Sol De Janeiro much quicker than any other lotion.  Itโ€™s a holy grail for sure and more so than the original! 
The Fresh essence was off my radar but is going on my list!  It sounds wonderful!  

@heartsmyface Itโ€™s amazing! It just gives skin that extra little boost of hydration it needs, and black tea is supposed to be really soothing and smoothing for the skin. Since itโ€™s fermented, it provides those good bacterias to help keep those bad ones on check that cause breakouts. Iโ€™ve been using it forโ€ฆ 3 years maybe? I canโ€™t remember when I first purchased it. I got my mom to start using it too. 

@alexasteph I've heard soooo many people rave about that toner!  Someday when I run out of my backlog of toners I need to try that one.

@CookieGirl1 Itโ€™s a fantastic addition to any skin care routine, in my opinion! I use it as my essence step after my toning step, actually. It could be used as the first step though! 

Love sol de janeiro @alexasteph ๐Ÿ’›

14 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos22
  • 3A43182D-7CF8-4635-A0A3-6C4D9C155F6A.jpeg
  • DD1045C5-8116-4168-8E3F-956F889C7256.gif
  • Sample 2 Full Size - Lancoฬ‚me.jpeg
  • Photo from US Lookfantastic site
  • D009A711-0D6A-4BED-9508-2474B3E39253.jpeg
  • Benefit Concealer.jpg
  • Screenshot_20220826-133617_Chrome.jpg