Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

*updated 11/25/18*

The 2019 thread is now available here

Spoiler

Hey all!  For the last few years the lovely @lnum has hosted this thread to help us stay motivated on our no-buys and low-buys. In an effort to keep her work alive, here is the 2018 edition.

The purpose of this thread (from lnum):

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

Feel free to share your goals, items that tempt you, missteps (we don't believe in failures), and any successes.  Above all else, encourage and support one another.

Here's the OP from 2017 as well as the link for those interested: 

Spoiler
lnum wrote:

Welcome to Year 3!

My motto for this thread is that I strongly believe, even on a budget, you can have the things you want that make you happy without feeling like you're limiting yourself. 

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

I am so excited to spend another year with you all. If it wasn't for the first two years of this thread, I would never have been able to cut down my beauty spending. My goal for this year is to maintain low spending on beauty, and cut down my clothing purchases. I will be funneling that money into traveling, which is what I have done in the past and it's a great goal that truly motivates me. 

I'm still so proud of everyone for making it through 2015 and 2016, limiting ourselves in the beauty product area in order to improve our lives in other areas. We all did great and here's to another year of learning and saving!

Here is a link to the 2015 thread: http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB-ROUGE/2015-The-No-Buy-Low-Buy-Budget-Buy-Accountability-and-Supp...

2016 thread: 

http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2016-The-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/td...

2017 thread: https://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2017-THE-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/m...

Interested in Some Challenges to Help You Use Your Stash?  Check Out These Threads:

Spoiler

💜💜💜

Re: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

Good to see you back @fieldsofclover!  I hope all is well.

You don't need to buy anything to pick up your Ulta birthday gift- just show them the email and you should be good to go.

Of course this requires that you not look around the store before you get on line to pick up the birthday gift but I managed to do it (going to the store a few minutes before it was closing helped out).

Ya, but my birthday was October so the month sailed by without me remembering! Too late now. Ah well, it's a Monsieur Big DS and I literally just finished one, so no heartbreak there... I have at least a year's worth of mascara as it is.

Hi, @fieldsofclover!  I was just wondering last night how you were!

My only sale buys this past sale have been skincare and haircare.  Things I know I will use.  I resisted all eye shadow palette releases even though there are a few I really like, because I have the colors I need!

@curlychiquitaExactly, all my sale purchases are super boring restocks now. I'm glad to not be tempted by too many palettes lately...

Well, I still haven't re-Rouged, but I did finally buy something I didn't need (a lipstick in my favorite formula and in a fall color!) from Sephora during the Rouge event. 

But, I think the most telling factor of my low-buy is my ebates account. The balance for July- September is only $6.23 when I usually get $15-45 per quarter. 

My ebates is looking pretty slim this quarter too, @txcatx-love that you use that as your barometer👍🏼

Just have to post because I'm sad.  I was all excited for the sale and then I had to put $275 into my car.  No sale for me.  This is the second time I'm missing a sale.  The last one was a no go because my company laid off a few people and I was concerned about job security.  I WANT MAKEUP DARN IT.  On the bright side, my student loans are almost paid off so things won't be as tight as they have been.  But just bummed about this weekend.

@sprocketta how are you doing on your low buy? Just wanted to check in as I know you’ve had a rough month.😊

Thanks for checking on me @eshoe  I broke my no buy when I found out that Besame had their 7 dwarves mini lipstick set on sale for $8.  It's a $35 set and it was $10 with shipping.  How could I resist?  If you want it, go to the Besame site and check the Snow White Collection.  The code to make it $8 is MINI7.  But going pretty strong.  Bought a mini tube of TF BTS mascara but used $11 of Ulta points for it so it was only $1.  Otherwise, keeping in control.  I went to Ulta with my mom (we love going makeup shopping together) on Monday and we had a blast.  I swatched a lot but only bought the mascara.  She insisted on buying me a small perfume.  I was also matched for Shape Tape concealer and checked out a bunch of lipsticks, including the new Clinique which I really wanted, but I was really, really good.  It's tough!  Thanks for the support.

ETA: I forgot to mention I also ran into my Clinique rep while I was walking my dog (he lives across the street from me).  I mentioned I was excited about the new lipstick and he told me they're having a GWP for $29 coming up.  And you get 15% off if you pre-buy.  OY!  I have to stay away from Macy's.

Wow, @sprocketta, it sounds like you have been excelling on your low buy. I’m very impressed, you have shown considerable restraint! It’s crZy how even when we try to remove temptation from our lives, it always finds us. You know to steer clear of Macy’s now😂! Keep it up, you are inspiring!

Thanks @eshoe The support means more than you know!

I'm sorry you missed a second sale, but just think how happy you'll be when your student loans are paid off.  I remember how great that felt! @sprocketta

You're totally right @curlychiquita  Thanks for the reminder.

Oh no! It can be so hard when you have been budgeting carefully and planned to spend some money on something special and then an unexpected necessity rears its ugly head! But congratulations on holding firm and not buying your treats in spite of the car repairs. There will be another sale (after all, this one was unexpected), and you are making good progress on your goals, so try to feel proud of yourself for that.

Thanks @elthom  I totally needed to hear that.

Aww, @sprocketta, I am so sorry your car decided to interfere with the sale🤨 Being on a low-buy is hard enough by choice! But yay for almost having your student loans paid off! That is pretty exciting. Hang in there, there will ALWAYS be another sale☺️

You're so right @eshoe  There's always another.  I see them all because I look in the Savvy Shoppers posts!

Lol that thread always makes me think of my inbox in the morning, @sprocketta@-out of control😂 

Still going strong on the low-buy. I spent about 30 minutes in store due to the Rouge sale and had makeup swatches all over my hands, but I only bought a travel perfume and then skincare that I actually needed--I've been seeing the bottom of my moisturizer jar for a few days! 

I may still barely reach Rouge this year, but partly because I tend to buy my mom, who's retired, whatever she needs and because I buy holiday presents from Sephora. 

Your post was very touching, @txcatx. Your Mom is very lucky to have a daughter like you. 

2,092 Replies
testing