Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

*updated 11/25/18*

The 2019 thread is now available here

Spoiler

Hey all!  For the last few years the lovely @lnum has hosted this thread to help us stay motivated on our no-buys and low-buys. In an effort to keep her work alive, here is the 2018 edition.

The purpose of this thread (from lnum):

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

Feel free to share your goals, items that tempt you, missteps (we don't believe in failures), and any successes.  Above all else, encourage and support one another.

Here's the OP from 2017 as well as the link for those interested: 

Spoiler
lnum wrote:

Welcome to Year 3!

My motto for this thread is that I strongly believe, even on a budget, you can have the things you want that make you happy without feeling like you're limiting yourself. 

This thread is a support system for all of us who are trying to maintain a budget and keep our beauty spending limited. Post here when you have a weak moment, post here to hold yourself accountable, post here when you just need someone to talk to, post here when you have advice for all of us, and post here when you make mistakes but also make gains! Many of us post here to keep track of our monthly purchases. Anything you need to say, we are all here for each other. There's no judgement here.

I am so excited to spend another year with you all. If it wasn't for the first two years of this thread, I would never have been able to cut down my beauty spending. My goal for this year is to maintain low spending on beauty, and cut down my clothing purchases. I will be funneling that money into traveling, which is what I have done in the past and it's a great goal that truly motivates me. 

I'm still so proud of everyone for making it through 2015 and 2016, limiting ourselves in the beauty product area in order to improve our lives in other areas. We all did great and here's to another year of learning and saving!

Here is a link to the 2015 thread: http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB-ROUGE/2015-The-No-Buy-Low-Buy-Budget-Buy-Accountability-and-Supp...

2016 thread: 

http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2016-The-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/td...

2017 thread: https://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/2017-THE-NO-BUY-LOW-BUY-BUDGET-BUY-ACCOUNTABILITY-AND-SUPPORT/m...

Interested in Some Challenges to Help You Use Your Stash?  Check Out These Threads:

Spoiler

💜💜💜

Re: RE: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

@BellaLori last year when i saw something on sale i started asking myself if i'd buy it if it was full price.  if i couldnt say yes i walked away...mostly  😉

"Would I pay full price for this?" is the only thing that...

"Would I pay full price for this?" is the only thing that keeps me in line on sales. I spend a lot of time browsing through the site and researching/grooming/paring down my loves list... then if it's on sale *and* already on my list, I can have the thrill of snatching something up while still sort of staying on track (hello Bite lip crayons and Dark Rainbow #56 brush).

Re: "Would I pay full price for this?" is the only thing that...

took me a long time to get to the point where i realized i'm not really saving money if i wouldnt have purchased it in the first place!

RE: Re: RE: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

@sparklekai that’s a good idea! I’m definitely going to try that the next time I’m tempted to buy sale stuff.

Re: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

I do not need that Decadence palette.

...hoping if I say and/or type this enough it will get through my skull.  I got two of her palettes in November and haven't even opened them in over a month, not to mention all the other palettes I've accumulated recently. 🙈🙈🙈

@ElleElleG I’m trying to say this with you:( it’s so pretty

Yes! @darkiceis  the more of us chanting like mad women the better haha!

Stay strong ladies!

I know, @ElleElleG, I love to, too! But I really need to...

I know, @ElleElleG, I love to, too! But I really need to work through the palettes that I already have!
Anonymous Insider

RE: Re: 2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

I don’t need that palette either. Lol

@ElleElleG @RGbrown - If you use each of your palettes at least once, then you can consider buying another palette. I know some people have dozens of palettes and I think this could be a good rule, you have to circulate through all your palettes before you can buy a new one! You can do this!!!!

If I focused on that I could get through them in at least a week (largely because I work across palettes/singles all the time).  I'm working on a pan that palette now, perhaps if I get it to near completion by the April sale, and the palette is still available, I will snag it. We'll see what happens

@Aaliaa

Oh, I definitely make myself rotate. The problem is...I have 38 palettes already (and that does *not* includes the dozens and dozens of single shadows I have accumulated into magnetic palettes or in my singles drawer). At a rate of wearing makeup twice a week, I won't even get three uses a year out of the ones I have. So nope, that's a terrible rule, for me at least 😛

@ElleElleG

I ignore the PM thread for the most part because I don't want to be tempted by such pricey goodies. Now that I'm seeing it in the Hauls thread...omg...want! So flippin gorgeous! Never mind that I have a lifetime supply of eyeshadow already, and have more than enough palettes to use a new one every day for a month without repeats (and never mind that I only wear makeup a couple of days a week as it is!)...my heart hurts a bit to say no to that beauty. 

I shall have to chant with you

@RGbrown I want this so bad too. I can’t stop staring at everyone’s beautiful swatches, and I’m trying so hard to resist. I wish it wasn’t LE. 

I don’t need it. 😞

I blame the PM & Haul thread @RGbrown !  I largely ignored the palette up until this point; even the social media promos were "meh".  Probably the result of the palette being available now?

Glad I'm not alone (in both the volume of eyeshadow and the chanting) 😉

@ElleElleG who needs a decadence palette when you're a decadent woman?!

2018 - THE NO-BUY, LOW-BUY, BUDGET-BUY ACCOUNTABILITY AND SUPPORT THREAD

So the highlighter by UD x Leane OMG. I want the shadows but I can live without since I do own electric esp. That highlighter though is calling out for me. I have hit pan on one of my becca highlighters (another thread #panitchallenge). How do I say no. I am weak! I plan to stay clear until spring. That's my goal for now. Small steps.

@sunshine202

I'll echo @ElleElleG on UD sales...their LE collabs go half off in a flash. Finish off that Becca in the mean time, and you'll be doubly excited to pick up the UD for even less 😄

@RGbrown aware

@RGbrown aware

@RGbrown good point I don't think I have ever noticed the...

@RGbrown good point I don't think I have ever noticed the LE items going on sale. Thanks for making me a war! 😊
testing