Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

2017 Best, Most, and Worst!

LackI haven't been in here in a while and I've missed BIC! I wanted to create a post to sum up my year in makeup and find out what everybody else's was like. This year was makeup-crazy! So many releases! So here's a guideline I came up with:

1) Your favorite purchase of the year (try just 1!)

2) A purchase you regret- why?

3) Most expensive purchase- was it worth the money? 

4) Most hyped product you bought- was it worth it?

5) Most shopped at store (for makeup). Did you shop more in store or online?

6) Did you spend less, the same, or more than other years? 

7) Rediscovered loves or underrated makeup discoveries

😎 A product you missed out on or haven't bought yet but really want

9) Did your makeup routine change in any way?

10) What makeup trend do you think will be big next year?

Here are my answers:

1) Simple Human mirror

2) Natasha Denona Sunset Palette- even though it's beautiful and amazing I think it needed to be more diverse in shades to be truly functional and I don't get enough use out of it to warrant how expensive it was.

3) Simple Human Mirror or my Wayne Goss Brush sets- I bought both the eye and face sets. They are all amazing I regret nothing. I love the mirror, too.

4) ND Sunset and Pat McGrath lipsticks- yes, amazing, though a little overpriced. 

5) Sephora but Ulta is a very close second, mostly online. 

6) I spent a lot more than last year this year.

7) Nars Radiant Creamy Concealer. I'd forgotten how good it was.

😎 Nars x Man Ray Palette in Love Game- I waaaaaant iiiiit

9) I wouldn't say changed but I'd definitely say I'm getting better at it.

10) This year was all about the warm tones and blinding highlight. I'm gonna say next year, more toned down highlight and shiny lips instead of matte.

I'm tagging a few of you that I remember from old BT! @veronika23 @Tamara76 @Ispend2much6 @gonerogue @Mcakes @jesscheems @ZombieMetroAnt @TKLJ @jozkid @heartsmyface

Re: 2017 Best, Most, and Worst!

Marc Jacobs Tantastic - I totally missed this when it launched and realized I wanted it when it was out of stock everywhere. I finally snagged it when Neiman Marcus restocked a couple on their website. My most luxurious and beautiful bronzer and I absolutely love it.

Maybe, possibly the Subculture palette but I can't say yet. I used it only a couple times and although it's patchy, I'm not sure if I hate it yet. Regardless, it was such a popularly controversial palette (and I can't lie... I really do love the colors), I'll probably keep it in my make up stash anyway.

Right now, probably my Viseart Neutral Mattes palette. Unfortunately, I'm telling myself I can't use it yet until I finish up one other eyeshadow palette so I can't say if it's worth it or not.

Jaclyn Hill x Morphe palette. Not worth the hype but it is a good palette. I don't reach for it all the time but when I do, I am happy with the looks I create. It's a beauty to look at, for sure! 

Definitely Sephora. More online than in store. GWPs and Ebates!

Around the same. I'm being more conscious about my purchases so while I buy equal or more things, they are products I truly need.

Underrated in my opinion is the KVD Shade and Light palette. It's a beautiful palette for everyday wear and the shadows are extremely soft and pigmented. One of my only eyeshadow palettes I have hit pan on. 

Milani Rose blushes in Warm Petals (limited edition shade) and the Tarte Christmas edition brush set.

Stopped wearing falsies (mostly because of my day job) and went back to using powder bronzer versus my cream Anastasia contour kit.

More brights in eyeshadow.

I'm a few days late, but better late than never 😛

1) Your favorite purchase of the year (try just 1!) Nars Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base. I just got this recently and it is already my favourite item! It keeps my eyeshadow looking good all day, which rarely happened before!

2) A purchase you regret- why? Benefit's They’re Real! Lengthening & Volumizing Mascara. It just does not work at all for me. Makes my lashes clump together and is impossible to take off (similar to waterproof mascara, but it's not waterproof 😞 ) I'm gonna finish the tube, but I'll be glad once I can toss it. 

3) Most expensive purchase- was it worth the money? Stila's One-Step Correct Primer. Not sure yet. It seems to work well and keep my skin moisturized, but I can't really tell if it really colour corrects or not. I do like how it's more of a serum, but the bottle is also quite small for the price. 

4) Most hyped product you bought- was it worth it? Colourpop's Yes, Please Palette. Absolutely. It's an amazing palette and the price is great. I reach for it quite a lot because the colours are gorgeous!

5) Most shopped at store (for makeup). Did you shop more in store or online? Sephora (Winners and Marshall's are a close second). A little of both, but mostly online. The post office guy teases me when I picked up multiple boxes.

6) Did you spend less, the same, or more than other years? More since I only started shopping at Sephora last fall. 

7) Rediscovered loves or underrated makeup discoveries Are Bareminerals Gen Nude Liquid Lipsticks underrated? Either way, they are awesome. I started wearing my old Yves Rocher lipsticks again after I had put them aside for Sephora brands.

😎 A product you missed out on or haven't bought yet but really want Too Faced Gingerbread Man Lipstick. 

9) Did your makeup routine change in any way? Yes, I started using brushes and sponges instead of my fingers and sponge tipped applicators for my makeup. I also started wearing face makeup and not just eye makeup and lipstick.

10) What makeup trend do you think will be big next year? I don't really follow trends, but I hope there's more space themed collections and collabs between brands and animated movies (Disney, Pixar, Tim Burton) and not so much people.

Love the idea!! 

1. Loveeeee a khiels conditioner I bought. It’s helped my hair become softer and an unexpected bonus-detangles so much easier! 

2. Regret Christopher Robin hair scrub. This stuff tried out my hair and scalp so badly!!! 

3. See #2. It was $52 and such a waste of money! 

4. See #2. 

5. Definitely shopped online instead of in stores. In person is always a nightmare! 

6. I spend WAY LESS! And very proud of it! I went from 2016 qualifying for rouge twice to 2017, very unlikely to even reach VIB. 

7. Hmmmm...blanking! 

8. I’m sad the Becca rose quartz disappeared again before I got it. 

9. My makeup has changed DRAMATICALLY! My life has become literally 1000x more busy and stressful, so my makeup has become more streamlined and simple. I use to play more with colors and try to create new, fun looks. This has been impossible to keep up with anymore. I do appreciate the change though because my priorities have shifted from being obsessed with makeup to focusing on other things that are very important to me. 

10. I think very bold makeup looks and colors are going to be huge next year. 

Thanks for making this thread @makeitup305! I enjoyed reading every response!

ABH Sun Dipped Glow Kit. Absolutely gorgeous highlight. Sometimes I just open it and admire it, then close it again. hehe 😛

Huda Beauty Contour & Strobe Lip Set in Trophy Wife. I got this because the set in shade Muse went OOS online (thought Trophy Wife would be the next best thing). I'm still pining for Muse to this day!

Jean Paul Gaultier LE Wonder Woman perfume for my mom. Yep, was worth it because she got so excited. She loves this line of fragrances.

Colourpop Fem Rosa SHE palette. Palette packaging and colours looked awesome. But I was disappointed that it was so tiny when it came in the mail. Also some shades were a different colour in the pan compared to on the lid. Overall, wasn't worth it to me.

5) Most shopped at store (for makeup). Did you shop more in store or online? Sephora online - mostly because this year Sephora offered a couple surprise $$ off during the summer months.

6) Did you spend less, the same, or more than other years? the same.

Anna Sui Liquid Eye Color in 001 - love this for everyday wear

Sephora Collection 10hr wear foundation - was using MUFE prior to rediscovering this in my stash and forgot how full coverage it is! one swipe and I'm out the door!

Charlotte Tilbury LE lipstick in Shanghai Nights. This shade is to die for!! <3333

Yes. This year I switched from wearing navy blue eyeshadow as eyeliner in the summer months to adding blush and highlight in the fall. I also realized that blush makes me look way more awake/less dull!

Slightly shimmery lips. It's starting to kick in (like Smashbox's metal lips) and I think it'll be a major hit! Especially if the shimmery pigments are finely milled!

1) Your favorite purchase of the year (try just 1!) Colored Raine Cheers To the Beauty Palette 

2) A purchase you regret- why? I took the Pat McGrath palette back because the holographic shades looked awful on me. The green turned a holographic gray on me. 

3) Most expensive purchase- was it worth the money? Drunk Elephant Little’s kit it wasn’t moist enough for my dry skin. Liked the Vitamin C.

4) Most hyped product you bought- was it worth it? Fenty Beauty 1st release Yes

5) Most shopped at store (for makeup). Did you shop more in store or online? Sephora online just a little more than in store 

6) Did you spend less, the same, or more than other years? The same

7) Rediscovered loves or underrated makeup discoveries urban decay eyeshadow 

😎 A product you missed out on or haven't bought yet but really want Fenty galaxy Nude   Glitter liner

9) Did your makeup routine change in any way? Yep, I’ve discovered highlighter so I’m blinding them with science 

10) What makeup trend do you think will be big next year? Focus will shift from eyes to lips. Natural eyes and bold lips is my guess.

Catherine Catherine Malandrino looong boots.

Never tried long boots before but loving it! Warm and cozy. 

For makeup, I have to choose It Cosmetics Bye Bye Pores. 

The eight hand washes I bought from BBW. 

I won't have to buy hand washes for a year or more now. 

For makeup, that one fit me foundation two tones lighter than my skin I used once for halloween. 

Theory suit. It fits nicely but takes a lot of care. So-so. (oh and wedding dress. yes) 

With makeup, I think Estee lauder Serum that I keep refilling & rebuying. 

Stila liquid glitter shadows, because it's so famous in Korea. 

I like it okay. It's just that I can't use it on a daily basis. 

Sephora, online. Didn't have much time for beauty but still made rouge anyways because I don't shop elsewhere much. 

Less! Proud of myself. 

7) Rediscovered loves or underrated makeup discoveries.

rediscovered love: Clinique cheek pops. 

underrated: Cargo blushes. I love them all. 

😎 A product you missed out on or haven't bought yet but really want.

I keep going back and forth on skii Pitera. 

I focus more on skin now! 

Something skin-glowy, but natural I hope. 

RE: 2017 Best, Most, and Worst!

1) my favourite purchase would be my new Holy Grail foundation!! Hourglass Immaculate Liquid Powder Foundation. It’s the best foundation I’ve ever used! And the ONLY one that keeps me truly matte all day long. 2) something I regret would be the Fenty Beauty Galaxy eyeshadow palette. It’s super pretty, and the packaging itself if amazing (which is why I never returned it) but it’s a dud. The shadows aren’t pigmented at all. It’s just a huge glittery mess. And they fade super quick. No matter what primer, setting spray, wet brush etc. thing I try, it just doesn’t work. 3) my most expensive purchase was the Hourglass Ambient Metallic Strobe Lighting Palette. And yes! It was worth it! It’s one of the prettiest highlighters I own. And it’s sooo buttery and smooth. 4) the most hyped product would be when I finally bought the Anastasia Beverly Hills Modern Renaissance palette. It was so worth it! It’s one of my top 3 most favourite palettes. 5) Sephora was 100% my most shopped at makeup store! About 97% of my makeup is from Sephora. And I think I did about 50/50 online, and in store. 6) I spent more! I was looking at my $ spent a few days ago at Sephora, and I’ve spent $3,000 just this year! Last year it was almost $2,000, so that’s kinda scary but oh welllll. 7) I’m not really sure what this is asking? 😎 omg I missed out on Stila Magnificent Metals Glitter & Glow Liquid Eyeshadow in the shade “Violet Vixen” and I’m soooo sad I did. I have 7 other shades and I’m OBSESSED with them! Purple is my favourite colour so I really wanted it!! I keep checking to see if it will come back, but sadly I think I missed it for good. 9) yes! My makeup routine changed in a few ways. I don’t contour anymore. Like ever. I just find it’s a useless step. I hate how contour looks. On anyone. But I did it because it was popular. So I stopped. And I also hardly ever wear eyeliner! Which is probably shocking but I just skip it most of the time. 10) hmmmmm, I think there’s definitely going to be more eyebrow trends. lol, there always is. Idk what but they’ll be probably 10 different new “it” ones by this time next year.

Re: RE: 2017 Best, Most, and Worst!

@samkeaysxo  Yesss! Modern Renaissance is one of my top 2 favs as well! The mauve colours are super pretty and easy to work into any look!

Re: RE: 2017 Best, Most, and Worst!

@samkeaysxo I agree, the Hourglass Ambient Metallic Strobe Palette was definitely one of the best things to come out this holiday season.

thanks so much for the tag @ZombieMetroAnt, and for making this thread @makeitup305!! i haven't done one of these in awhile!

1) Your favorite purchase of the year: This is tough! But I've focused on skin care more than ever this year, so Herbivore Phoenix oil and January Labs brightening tonic. Green beauty really works so well for me!

2) A purchase you regret: I've tried to be more conscious of frivolous purchases, but I've purchased several eyeshadow palettes from colourpop I've barely even touched. Those good deals get me every time!

3) Most expensive purchase- was it worth the money? Either the Pat McGrath mothership palette, or the ND sunset palette. I gotta say they are worth it, despite my apprehension.

4) Most hyped product you bought- was it worth it?  Either the Fenty gloss bomb/galaxy glosses, or the ND sunset palette. I love them all, so yes!

5) Most shopped at store (for makeup). Did you shop more in store or online? I shopped a lot of sephora, colourpop and ulta. Mostly online (hello GWP)!

6) Did you spend less, the same, or more than other years? I started out sooooo good, and really curbed my spending, but at the end of the year I went nuts. I'd still say I spent less than last year though.

7) Rediscovered loves or underrated makeup discoveries:  Lately I am really loving my good old naked 2 and chocolate bar palettes, the urban decay naked skin BB cream, and wet n' wild photofocus foundation and concealer! I think people throw shade at drugstore, but NYX and WNW are killing it!

😎 A product you missed out on or haven't bought yet but really want: I passed on BITE mauvember this year, and I haven't decided if I really missed out or not.

9) Did your makeup routine change in any way? Yes! I quit wearing makeup that often, and generally adopted a more minimal routine. I still love doing full face and experimenting on the weekends, but during the week i'm very minimal.

10) What makeup trend do you think will be big next year? I think people are shifting to a more "real life" approach, and heavy contour, all matte everything, and overdone looks are being phased out. i look forward to glossy lips, natural skin and focusing on one feature!

tagging my girls @lmi82 @CC3616 @whitepolkydots @sister13 in case they haven't been tagged yet!

@unfungirl the drugstore has been killing it this year! Have you tried the Milani Strobe Highlighters yet? A-Ma-Zing! I was thinking about starting a drugstore thread but I wasn't sure if anyone would be interested. I love finding good stuff for cheap. Maybe a Top 10 under 20 thread?

@makeitup305 girl I love Milani too, and ELF! Their new releases are amazing. I love the idea of a thread! 

I've been meaning to do this and I finally have time!

1) YSL Lippies (I bought three and don't make me pick one please)

2) DDG Retinol and Ferulic serum - didn't do much

3) DDG Retinol and Ferulic serum - Disappointed, I think I prefer the 'Ordinary' 2% Granactive Emulsion

4) Huda Desert Dusk palette - Yes, I'm really enjoying it

5) Sephora and definitely online (I will go to the store to browse but I tend to make the final purchase online)

6) MORE - mainly on skincare

7) MAC Eyeshadows and fluidline eyeliner in Blacktracks 

😎 Kate Somerville Oil-Free Quench serum - love this but can't justify a repurchase with everything I have at the moment

9) Non-existant to a few times a week!

10) As long as its not Holographic, I'm happy!

1) Your favorite purchase of the year? The Stila Eye for Elegance Liquid Eye Shadow Set. I am currently obsessed with this formula.

2) A purchase you regret- why? The Urban Decay Moondust Palette, I used to love these shadows but I now have way better glitters and know this won't get much love.

3) Most expensive purchase- was it worth the money? The Natasha Denona Star Palette and YES, it's beautiful.

4) Most hyped product you bought- was it worth it? The Natasha Denona Star Palette and yes, it was worth it.

5) Most shopped at store (for makeup). Did you shop more in store or online? Sephora and I don't think I purchased anything in store this year, it was all online.

6) Did you spend less, the same, or more than other years? About the same.

7) Rediscovered loves or underrated makeup discoveries? The Kat Von D Lock-It Foundation, I forgot how full coverage it is.

😎 A product you missed out on or haven't bought yet but really want? The Natasha Denona Lila Palette

9) Did your makeup routine change in any way? Not really, I have been using makeup brushes more and my fingers less for applying makeup.

10) What makeup trend do you think will be big next year? I haven't really given it much thought..

I spent most on skincare, much more than makeup so apologies if this is a little OT...

1) Cosrx blemish pads. I usually don't break out, but every now and then, these pads will completely eliminate any congestion.

2) I do a LOT of research before I buy a beauty product and test extensively so I usually don't regret my purchases buuuuuuut I did get a bottle of Cosrx snail mucin

essence that didn't do anything 😞

3) Frédéric Malle's Noire Epices. It's beautiful. I also bought it in the UK after the Brexit vote so the exchange worked out very favourably...

4) Probably The Ordinary's rose hip oil. It's too early to tell for me if it's better than other oils I have but so far, so good and the price point cannot be beat!

5) I plead the fifth

6) More

7) I will never stop promoting K-Palette pens for eyeliner and eyebrows

😎 If I answered two days ago, it would have been The Ordinary's rose hip oil; now it's nothing

9) More ombre lips

10) I have no idea but if it makes you look better on IG, it will sell

@pocketvenus I'm actually using the CosRx snail serum right now. The texture is a little off-putting to me but I do think it's helped balance out my skin and heal some light scarring to make my skin tone more even. 

@makeitup305 

I also was not a fan of the texture. Thanks for your comment - maybe I shouldn't have given up on it so quickly!!

@makeitup305 Wow, this is going to be tough! 

1) Your favorite purchase of the year: Urban Decay’s Hot Springs Moisturizing Gel. It was the most important step toward getting my rosacea into remission for the last 10 months. Not just under control and less annoying like prescription gels did for the previous 15 years — completely in remission and vanished. 
2) A purchase you regret: Urban Decay Heat. I just knew it would never work for my skin tone, but I loved the colours so much. I was also trying to talk myself out of buying the more expensive Natasha Denona Sunset palette, which I knew would work better with my skin tone. The end result? I gave Heat to a warm-toned friend and bought Sunset like I should have done in the first place. 
3) Most expensive purchase, and was it worth it: Both Natasha Denona 28 palettes (Purple Blue and Green Brown). 1000% worth it. Zero regrets. I use one or both almost every day. 
4) Most hyped product you bought: Kylie Cosmetics Matte Lip Kits. Didn’t really care for them, and boy were the Canadian customs duties steep. 
5) Most shopped at store (for makeup). Did you shop more in store or online? Sephora for 90% of my purchases. Shopped 100% online because I’m quite far from the nearest Sephora stores. 
6) Did you spend less, the same, or more than other years? More. Much, much more. 
7) Rediscovered loves or underrated makeup discoveries: Underrated makeup discoveries included Urban Decay Hot Springs Moisturizing Gel as a night cream for sensitive, acne-prone skin; IT Cosmetics Heavenly Luxe makeup brushes for sensitive skin; Dr Jart’s Premium Beauty Balm instead of foundation to nourish and balance combination skin; Sephora x Utowa Eyelash Curler to properly fit minimally-curved eyelids and deliver gorgeous curl every time. 
😎 A product you missed out on or haven't bought yet but really want: Can’t think of anything. That’s probably a bad thing...
9) Did your makeup routine change in any way? Yes. I became obsessed with skincare, to create the healthiest and smoothest base for my makeup, in the process clearing up my rosacea and acne. Skincare is the key to everything! I also began investing in better makeup made with better-quality ingredients that not only looks better, but nurtures my skin instead of irritating it. 
10) What makeup trend do you think will be big next year? I think cool tones are going to start coming back in earnest, come Spring 2018. We might see pinks, yellows, and light greens, applied with an almost floral creativity. 

@PinkEvergreen I'm dying to get my hands on the ND Green-Brown palette, I've been obsessing over greens lately.

@makeitup305 I didn’t expect to like it as much as I do. It really has gorgeous transition shades and neutrals to wear every day. What I particularly like about Natasha’s palettes is that her shimmer formulas last all day and truly flatter mature eyelids. I’m in my thirties and for years I stopped wearing shimmer eyeshadows because they made my eyelids look so distractingly crepey. Natasha’s shimmer eyeshadows look beautiful on a variety of skin tones and types 🙂

Conversation Stats
Photos2
  • bt.PNG
  • image.jpg
testing