Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

2017 Best, Most, and Worst!

LackI haven't been in here in a while and I've missed BIC! I wanted to create a post to sum up my year in makeup and find out what everybody else's was like. This year was makeup-crazy! So many releases! So here's a guideline I came up with:

1) Your favorite purchase of the year (try just 1!)

2) A purchase you regret- why?

3) Most expensive purchase- was it worth the money? 

4) Most hyped product you bought- was it worth it?

5) Most shopped at store (for makeup). Did you shop more in store or online?

6) Did you spend less, the same, or more than other years? 

7) Rediscovered loves or underrated makeup discoveries

😎 A product you missed out on or haven't bought yet but really want

9) Did your makeup routine change in any way?

10) What makeup trend do you think will be big next year?

Here are my answers:

1) Simple Human mirror

2) Natasha Denona Sunset Palette- even though it's beautiful and amazing I think it needed to be more diverse in shades to be truly functional and I don't get enough use out of it to warrant how expensive it was.

3) Simple Human Mirror or my Wayne Goss Brush sets- I bought both the eye and face sets. They are all amazing I regret nothing. I love the mirror, too.

4) ND Sunset and Pat McGrath lipsticks- yes, amazing, though a little overpriced. 

5) Sephora but Ulta is a very close second, mostly online. 

6) I spent a lot more than last year this year.

7) Nars Radiant Creamy Concealer. I'd forgotten how good it was.

😎 Nars x Man Ray Palette in Love Game- I waaaaaant iiiiit

9) I wouldn't say changed but I'd definitely say I'm getting better at it.

10) This year was all about the warm tones and blinding highlight. I'm gonna say next year, more toned down highlight and shiny lips instead of matte.

I'm tagging a few of you that I remember from old BT! @veronika23 @Tamara76 @Ispend2much6 @gonerogue @Mcakes @jesscheems @ZombieMetroAnt @TKLJ @jozkid @heartsmyface

Re: 2017 Best, Most, and Worst!

1) Your favorite purchase of the year (try just 1!) Clarins Double Serum - I understand the hype now (this question was tough!).

2) A purchase you regret- why? Probably a bunch of Stila liquid lipsticks when they went on sale. They dry my lips out like crazy so I don't use them.

3) Most expensive purchase- was it worth the money? ND Sunset & Lila palette - heck yes it's worth it!

4) Most hyped product you bought- was it worth it? Probably again the ND palettes or items from Fenty - yes on both (only own lip products from Fenty)

5) Most shopped at store (for makeup). Did you shop more in store or online? Online and a tie between Sephora and Ulta

6) Did you spend less, the same, or more than other years? Probably the same - could go either way as maybe a little less or more.

7) Rediscovered loves or underrated makeup discoveries single pan ABH eyeshadows (rediscovered also possibly underrated). I made a new Z palette and it's one of my main go-to's this year

😎 A product you missed out on or haven't bought yet but really want The Givenchy holiday collection from this last year. I only wound up getting the lipstick. It sold out sooo fast!

9) Did your makeup routine change in any way? I started curling my eyelashes more (the old rumor about them falling out scared me). I also learned new brush techniques (mostly eyeshadow) from watching TONS of YT videos when I was bored.

10) What makeup trend do you think will be big next year? I think countouring/highlighting (like massive countour/highlight) is going to go away, and we're going to be left with the "natural" look being popular. That or cool tones - I really hope it's cool tones.

Fun topic!! I enjoyed reading everyone's replies. 

1. Favorite purchase of the year: Definitely the ABH Prism palette!

2. Purchase I regret: Dior Rouge Dior liquid lipstick, very drying and uncomfortable for me.

3. Most expense purchase, was it worth the money? I believe it was the Jo Malone English Oak & Hazelnut Cologne. Absolutely worth the money, my favorite fragrance of the year, and possibly all time.

4. Most hyped product purchased, was it worth it? Pat McGrath Liquilust 007 lip kit, yes it was worth it to me, I love the formula- very comfortable and long wearing.

5. Most shopped at store for makeup, did you shop online or in store? Sephora, in- store.

6. Did you spend less, the same or more than last year? I spent more this year, tempted by too many things!

7. Rediscovered loves or underrated makeup discoveries: Clinique High Impact mascara, I feel like this one isn't discussed much, but I rediscovered it again after going through my sample stash. Bought the full size! 

8. A product you missed out on or haven't bought yet: Givenchy Chinese New Year Le Rouge lipstick.

9. Did your makeup routine change in any way? Yes! I have been wearing eye shadow a lot more often!

10. What makeup trend do you think will be big next year? Perhaps glossy lips? 

I also love the Clinique mascaras - definitely not talked about enough

what a fun thread @makeitup305! thanks for starting this, and good to see you around! 

HI @makeitup305  !

First thing first - this made me teary eyed "old BT" Smiley Sad

bt.PNG

What fun questions!  I attempted to answer these to the best of my ability Heart 

1) Your favorite purchase of the year (try just 1!) - IT Cosmetics Bye Bye Pores Pressed Powder - literally the only thing that controls my shiny T-zone Smiley Wink

2) A purchase you regret- why? Anything that went on sale shortly after I bought it at full price (ARGH!).

3) Most expensive purchase- was it worth the money?  Hm, that would have to be my Farmsantuary KVD lippie set that included a print of Kat's drawing, autographed - heck yea, it was totally worth it!  

4) Most hyped product you bought- was it worth it? Fenty foundation, sadly Smiley Sad  my skin did not respond well.  No matter how much I moisturized, serumed or primed, it was overly drying for my face.  

5) Most shopped at store (for makeup). Did you shop more in store or online? It would be a toss up between Ulta & Sephora & most of it was done online (gotta get dem GWPs Smiley LOL)

6) Did you spend less, the same, or more than other years? Definitely less - mostly because I am almost at full capacity on storage.  Smiley Surprised 

7) Rediscovered loves or underrated makeup discoveries - Essence mascara!  It's like $5 and is now my replacement for the boycotted Benefit Cosmetics mascara 

😎 A product you missed out on or haven't bought yet but really want - probably the Too Faced Chocolate Soleil Gold Bronzer.  I don't want to pay full price (yeah, yeah, I'm cheap)

9) Did your makeup routine change in any way? Yes!  One big change is I no longer use foundation, mostly because I never got a good match and I got tired of mixing different shades.  It's mostly a BB cream for me and add some color Smiley Wink

10) What makeup trend do you think will be big next year?  Hm, I think more color will be incorporated into unexpected products.  We see a lot more bold lip colors - maybe 2018 will bring "bold" blush.

Thanks again for doing this @makeitup305 Heart  I'm going to tag other members of BT Past as I'm curious to see their responses Heart  

@k617 ❤ @shimmerbait ❤ @Beadshopgirl ❤ @unfungirl ❤ @ElleElleG ❤ @niki172 ❤ @meganlisa ❤ @angel7594 ❤ @DaintyDiva

Thanks for the tag @ZombieMetroAnt! ❤️ I’ll be back later with my list! ❤️

Thanks for the tag ZMA! I'll have to do this when I get home. Awesome thread 🙂

Team BB Cream / tinted moisturizer over here!

yasssss 🙌

@ZombieMetroAnt I totally agree it was bittersweet to see @makeitup305's tag!  Memories! ❤️  I'm super happy she started the thread - I love these!!! 

Ohhhh- I forgot about the Farm Sanctuary Set when I made my list - I have my print framed and ready to hang whenever I get my beauty room! ❤️

And I discovered Essence Princess Lash Mascara just a few month ago and I am totally in love!!! ❤️

RE: 2017 Best, Most, and Worst!

1) favorite purchase would have to be the stila shimmer and glow liquid eye shadows 2) purchase I regret is the too face sweet peach eye palette. In January I'll have it for a year and have yet to use it. Not fascinated by the colors. 3) most expensive purchase was my glitter train case it was $120. It was well worth it. I'm able to store my everyday and prize possession make up in it. Makes traveling a lot easier. 4) most hyped product was the ABH prism palette. It was well worth it 😍 5) store shopped at the most was Sephora. M ore in store. 6) spent a lot more this year. I reached rogue status. 7) rediscovered love is the smash box photo finish water primer 😎 product haven't bought yet HUDA BEAUTY DESERT Dusk 9) make up rountine changes depending on the foundation I use. 10) I think bright colors and yeah I'm not sure.

@makeitup305

1) Your favorite purchase of the year (try just 1!)
Clarins Extra-Firming Anti-Wrinkle Neck Rejuvenating Cream

2) A purchase you regret- why?
Too Faced La Crème Lip Cream in Unicorn Tears: I bought Tom Ford Lena, which is a cool iridescent sheer-ish blue from the Boys and Girls collection. I really liked it but the cost is $$$. By all accounts it looked like Unicorn Tears would be a pretty good dupe and I bought it on sale. But when it came it was dry and the second I accidentally I touch my mouth I end up with glitter all over my face. I have a handful of other shades from the La Creme line and they’re nice but Unicorn Tears is 👎

3) Most expensive purchase- was it worth the money?
The neck cream I mentioned above and, yes.

4) Most hyped product you bought- was it worth it?
The Fenty Stunna Lip Paint. I still don’t love the applicator but it’s a nice lip product and I love the color. The price is just on the edge of not being worth it but, overall, I’ll give it a pass and say, yes, it was just barely worth it.

5) Most shopped at store (for makeup). Did you shop more in store or online?
Online. Sephora.

6) Did you spend less, the same, or more than other years?
Around the same.

7) Rediscovered loves or underrated makeup discoveries
Marc Jacobs Genius Gel Super-Charged Oil Free Foundation
Too Faced Candlelight Glow Highlighting Powder Duo

😎 A product you missed out on or haven't bought yet but really want
Stila Heaven’s Hue highlighter - I don’t know WHY I can’t just pull the trigger on this. I’ve wanted it for a long time.

9) Did your makeup routine change in any way?
I’ve gotten a smidge more adventurous with color on my eyes, as well using cool tones.

10) What makeup trend do you think will be big next year?
Less heavy, matte foundations - more natural finishes.

@starsandbucks I actually bought the Heaven's Hue in Kitten during Ulta's recent coupon sale. It's coming in tomorrow and I can't wait!

@makeitup305 Oh pleeeaaassse give us an update after you’ve played with it for a bit! 

@starsandbucks So... here's my veredict. I'm not usually a big enabler but it's really gorgeous. I definitely think you should give it a shot. It makes your face look wet without being metallic. It's like a pearly pigment in a light silicone so I feel like it wouldn’t emphasize texture (I don't have much on my upper cheek so I can't say for sure). If they had more shades to suit me, I'd get them. I don't think a swatch on the arm doesn't do it justice but here's mine.

image.jpg

@makeitup305  Did you use a brush, or does it seem to go on best with fingers?

@fieldsofclover I used my finger today, mostly because of the texture of it. I'm going to try it with a brush and a sponge tomorrow to figure out what works best. You don't need to push on it like I’ve seen YTers do, just glide your finger over it. Something tells me finger might be the way to go, in order to translate the "wetness"".

Edit: So I just swatched on my arm with a sponge, my finger and brush. The brush seems to make it so that less of the base shade and more shimmer comes through, so it appears lighter. Interesting.

@starsandbucks I definitely will. I've swatched it on my hand several times in store and it just seems to make your skin look wet, not a lot of actual base, and that sounds like something I would definitely be into.

@makeitup305 I was hoping someone would create something like this!

1) Your favorite purchase of the year (try just 1!): It's A Ten Miracle Leave-In Product.  Wow-oh-wow!

2) A purchase you regret- why?:  A L'Oreal palette.  I saw an ad and thought it would be great - in the end I didn't open it and returned it.  I regret it b/c I kind of have a rule that I won't purchase anything I can't swatch in person.  

3) Most expensive purchase- was it worth the money?: Roses de Chloe; it was worth most of the money!  LOL

4) Most hyped product you bought- was it worth it? Lash Princess mascara (the green tube) - it was so worth it!!!

5) Most shopped at store (for makeup). Did you shop more in store or online? Sephora!  I shopped online more, but I enjoy seeing the products in person more.

6) Did you spend less, the same, or more than other years? More!  I made Rouge at Sephora and Platinum at Ulta.  Crazy!

7) Rediscovered loves or underrated makeup discoveries: I re-discovered my love of dry shampoo when I changed brands (Klorane)as a bottle was changed of my favorite (Alterna); I also re-discovered my love of flat iron spray when I tried a new one (Paul Mitchell Hot off the Press) after using the same one for years and years (Redken).  I'm usually loyal to my products and don't like changing, but once in a while you try something different and it pays off.

😎 A product you missed out on or haven't bought yet but really want: I haven't tried any co-washes for hair, or double-cleanses for face.

9) Did your makeup routine change in any way? I added a retinol product (FAB Retinol Serum) to areas of my face that can't tolerance Retin-A.  I've tried to be good about using Vitamin C, but have gotten away from it.

10) What makeup trend do you think will be big next year? I'm already seeing a shift from matte lipsticks to metallics, albeit the metallics have been VERY metallic.  I think by the spring we will see a return to traditional-ish lipstick finishes.

@greeneyedgirl107 I agree with your choice of Its a 10 leave in product. I've been using it for several years and wouldn't be without it.

@yankeefaithful Have you tried any of their other products?  I just picked up their Oil with Keratin.  I got a sample of their silk leave-in and the lite version.  I can't imagine anything could top the original, though!

171 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos2
  • bt.PNG
  • image.jpg
testing