cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Age Defiers
|

Anti Aging Routine

Hi

I’m looking into buying a morning and night anti aging set.  I have been using the Ordinary for years but I’m tired of having to use 20 different bottles.  I’d prefer to find 1-2 products I can use in AM and in PM that are anti aging and moisturizing. 

Any suggestions?  I was thinking of the It Cosmetics line but not sure…

Re: Anti Aging Routine

Hi @Imaris ! What's your skincare routine? If we know which The Ordinary products you currently use, we might be able to suggest replacements that combine some of those ingredients into just 1-3 products. 

Meanwhile, here's a very quick and easy anti-aging routine: 

Night 

1. Cleanser (nightly) 
  2. Moisturizer (nightly) 

Morning 

1. Cleanser (optional, as needed) - not everyone needs to wash their face each morning 
  2. Broad spectrum sunscreen, at least SPF 30 (daily) - best topical preventative anti-aging skincare product available on the market; if your sunscreen contains at least one good moisturizing ingredient (dimethicone, shea butter, squalane, etc.), it might work for you as a moisturizer (if not, apply moisturizer underneath)  

I don't want to recommend specific products without knowing what you already use. (Your PM moisturizer could be one that contains retinol, for instance.) Also, do you have any specific skincare goals/issues besides general anti-aging? 

Hi! Thanks for the quick response.  I think my biggest concerns are dryness, age spots and dark circles, besides trying to avoid wrinkles 🙂

here is what I have been using (Ordinary drops/creams)

am:

cleanser

caffeine solution

argireline solution

buffet + cooper peptides

alpha arbutin

mosturizer

sun screen

pm:  4-5x per week

cleanser

caffeine solution

argireline Solution

niamicide

granactive

mosturizer

marula oil

pm: 2-3x per week

cleanser

caffeine solution

alpha arbutin

mandelic acid

mosturizer

marula oil

this has been my routine for 3/4 years now

@Imaris  That's a good routine! I tried not to completely change out all your products. Consolidating some of those ingredients into fewer products is tricky, especially when it comes to alpha arbutin. Consider these routine changes: 

Night: 

Spoiler
1. Cleanser (nightly) - Keep The Ordinary Squalane Cleanser 5 oz/ 150 mL if it works well for you. 

2. Treatment (as needed) - Keep The Ordinary Mandelic Acid 10% + HA 1 oz/ 30 mL and The Ordinary Alpha Arbutin 2% + HA Hyperpigmentation Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL. To reduce number of steps, consider using them on different nights. 

3. Moisturizer: 

• (4-5x/wk) - Paula’s Choice Ceramide-Enriched Firming Moisturizer (available at PC’s site; they frequently have 20%-off sales). Contains 0.1% retinol, 3 vitamin C derivatives (including an oil soluble form), ceramides, and other good stuff. I’m assuming your skin’s not sensitive to vitamin C. (There’s no ascorbic acid in this moisturizer; it contains stable derivatives instead.) Also, not sure which granactive retinoid serum you use, but 0.1% retinol might be near-equivalent strength. 

• (2-3x/wk) - You could keep using The Ordinary's moisturizer if it works well for you. Or grab a moisturizer by CeraVe, Vanicream, or Cetaphil from your local drugstore. Or, use the Paulas Choice moisturizer Im about to recommend for your AM routine; it contains niacinamide. 

Morning: 

Spoiler
1. Cleanser (optional, as needed) - Keep The Ordinary's cleanser. 

2. Treatment (as needed) - Keep The Ordinary Multi-Peptide + Copper Peptides 1% Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL which contains argireline. If you want extra argireline for targeted areas, then also keep the standalone The Ordinary Argireline Solution 10% Serum for Facial Wrinkles 1 oz/ 30 mL serum—but note that this ingredient’s better at reducing lines/wrinkles you already have than preventing new lines from forming. 

3. Moisturizer (daily, unless using sunscreen in its place) - Consider Paula's Choice CLEAR Oil-Free Moisturizer 2 oz/ 60 mL. Contains niacinamide and ceramides, plus blueberry, acai, and wild cherry extracts, among other good stuff. 

4. Sunscreen (daily) - Your current one's probably fine. 🙂 If it contains at least one good moisturizing ingredient, you could try using it without moisturizer underneath. That’ll remove a step from this routine. I do this during hot weather months, depending on which sunscreens I use. In cold weather, I always need moisturizer beneath any sunscreen. 

In my own morning routine, I use Hyper Skin Brightening Dark Spot Vitamin C Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL mostly for its kojic acid and arbutin; both ingredients target hyperpigmentation, and it's rare to find a product that contains infamously unstable kojic acid. If you're not sensitive to vitamin C (this serum uses a derivative, not pure ascorbic acid), this is another option to consider slotting somewhere in your routine—though it's not an ingredient consolidation so much as a one-for-one swap (and you get the added benefit of kojic acid). This serum's also quite hydrating for my mostly-dry combo skin. 

EDIT: d'oh, I forgot about your The Ordinary Caffeine 5% + EGCG Depuffing Eye Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL . Hmm... do you know what's causing your dark circles? If they're genetic/hereditary, then no topical skincare product will reduce them. Makeup (color corrector and/or concealer) is your best option there. Same goes for shadows caused by sunken skin/hollow tear troughs (I have this kind of darkness under my eyes): only makeup or in-office/clinic procedures can "fix" that. But if they're caused by UV damage, you can bring your alpha arbutin serum up onto your undereyes. Just be sure to keep it away from your lower lash line. (Don't bring any serum that close to your eye. Sunscreen and moisturizers are generally okay there, but not serums. Eh, some eye doctors don't even want folks to use any moisturizer there except a petrolatum-based balm like Vaseline, Aquaphor, or CeraVe Healing Ointment—which also happen to be the most occlusive moisture-retaining "eye creams" available.) And of course, you can keep using The Ordinary's caffeine serum. 

Hey there Imaris!

I was reading all of the information you provided and your list of concerns along with your desire to simplify your routine.

Here's what I recommend based on the info you provided:

Day:

1. Cleanse: Peter Thomas Roth Anti-Aging Cleansing Gel 8.5 oz

2. Serum Caudalie Vinoperfect Radiance Serum  (you can also use this on the orbital bone as an eye treatment)

3. Hydrate/nourish with Sunday Riley C.E.O. Afterglow Brightening Vitamin C Moisturizer 1.7 oz/ 50 mL 

4. sunscreen Supergoop! Unseen Sunscreen Invisible Broad Spectrum SPF 40 PA +++ 

Night:

1. Cleanse Peter Thomas Roth Anti-Aging Cleansing Gel 8.5 oz

2. Serum Shani Darden Skin Care Retinol Reform® Treatment Serum 1 oz / 30 mL 

3. Caudalie Vinoperfect Radiance Serum  as your eye treatment

4. Hydrate/nourish with Sunday Riley C.E.O. Afterglow Brightening Vitamin C Moisturizer 1.7 oz/ 50 mL 

You could also get into an exfoliating product too, like a chemical peel, to use once a week. I recommend First Aid Beauty Facial Radiance® AHA Intensive Peel or Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare Alpha Beta™ Advanced Liquid Peel 2 x 1 oz/ 30 mL

That will increase the effectiveness of your anti-aging products. But this is as simplified as I can get that is completely personalized just for your concerns.

Hope this helped!

Amy

Sephora PRO Artist

4 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 12 Hearts Given
  • 3 Contributors
testing