Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

RANDOM THOUGHTS : BEAUTY

this thread has worked hard and deserves a proper rest. please now post in RANDOM THOUGHTS : BEAUTY PART DEUX 

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confessions/RANDOM-THOUGHTS-BEAUTY-PART-DEUX/td-p/2461692

Ok so I've been wanting to make this thread for a while. I've also been wanting to start a "random thoughts" thread...but I figured I'd separate the categories so that at least the "beauty" one is on the front page, rather than hidden in off topic. So, have a beauty-related thought but don't think it's worth starting a thread about ? Post it here !

today I got a facial at an extraordinarily nice spa. A real treat. And the results were immediate and truly great. But guys: she pulled out a clarisonic and a foamy cleanser for that first initial cleanse, and I nearly had a heart attack. Great for a lot of people but most of you know how I feel about those things !!!!!! Overall, as I said, it was great and my skin is happy. But sheesh.

SWATCH REQUEST THREAD HERE: http://community.sephora.com/t5/The-Swatch-Board/THE-SWATCH-REQUEST-THREAD/td-p/2223212

(have fun wasting even more time in the...) VINTAGE BEAUTY VIDEOS THREAD !!  http://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confessions/VINTAGE-BEAUTY-VIDEOS/td-p/1826210

RANDOM BEAUTY FACTS ABOUT YOU THREAD !

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Beauty-Confessions/Random-Beauty-Facts-About-You/td-p/2409264

Re: RANDOM THOUGHTS : BEAUTY

I always shop Amazon with a skeptical eye when it comes to beauty products. Make sure you're ordering from somewhere reputable. Prices that seem too good to be true usually are.

That's a good point. I rarely buy fragrances on Amazon for the same reason.

I agree! I find the prices for the Face Shop products to be about $4-5 cheaper online than in-store.

I just wish they had even more products from other brands too. 

Tons of Korean brands at Essentielle Beauty (mine).  Directly from Korea.

Me too, thanks!

I'll check it out. Thank you! 🙂 

And a whole bunch of new things will be up very soon...

I just went to a Sephora store. I was looking for a tinted sunscreen nothing with a high SPF just for when I'm going to run some quick errands. I was in store and Shade #2 matched me perfectly. I left without buying it because the line was crazy long. I'm picky...very picky but this was perfection. It was lightweight, felt like a moisturizer, has light coverage which I love. I fell in love and now I'm heartbroken.

I come home and get online to order it... it's only available in one shade online...WHY?? I don't get it 😞

upload_6540179154259647307.jpg

Also I'm just here for the Bobby Flay pic. 

So I am 30 and have started piling on skincare products in earnest. My skin luuuuurves it, but I am a little worried that I will build up immunity(?) to things like peels and won't find them as effective two decades later, when my skin might need them even more. I wonder whether this is a valid concern.

I don't think you can build immunity to the effects of peels. You might develop sensitivity to strong ingredients over time or not have as dramatic effects if your skin is in better shape. In 20 years, I am sure the technology will have evolved anyway so their might be options available that we can't even imagine.

Yep, lipstick4soul brought up just the point I was going to (and I guess, I am anyway! ;)). You can build up a sensitivity to some of this stuff, which may be a reason to use everything in moderation.

Thank you, what you wrote makes a lot of sense. 

super random, I was in the misrepresentation thread and found out there is Sephora in China?! Looked at their membership levels, and if you reach the highest "Gold" level you can get 10% off at any Sephora in the world with your card!! (hoping my chinese reading skills aren't failing me here)

..I want one of those.

When I lived in Beijing I used to shop at 

Wal-Mart. So, the globalization gap keeps getting smaller. I wonder if you can buy a Sephora 10% card at the Silk Market!

I would also LOVE to see someone use this Chinese Sephora card locally.

Half the time Sephora employees can't even answer a simple question.  

Sun Kit??  What? You mean Sephora has a Sun Kit?  Never heard about no Sun Kit.

Then after 3 Sephora employees are surrounding you with perplexed looks....

Why are you the one feeling like a moron?!

I lived in Beijing too!!! apparently my mom went back this month and said the silk market is no longer what it used to be. I lived there from 1997-2006 when there was the "original" silk market where it was street. LOL

LOL same thing happened to me when I asked about it and it was on a shelf in the back of the store with the skin care. 3 People had no clue what i was talking about and I found it myself.

Similarly random tangent off your post, I really hate how the beauty industry operates in a manner where 10% is a big deal. Because in all other contexts, it's basically nothing. At best, it covers a bit more than tax, at worst, it doesn't even cover that.

I feel like 20% is getting more and more prevalent, with the occasional 25-30% friends & family sale here and there. But unless 10% is coupled with a decent Ebates percentage, I'm becoming more and more indifferent to it.

Obviously better than nothing... but yeah...

tl;dr the beauty industry is stingy.

With BOGO 1/2 every single week in one or another brand of drugstore makeup, anything less does feel a little stingy that anything better is less discounted. But then I look at CHANEL never having a discount at all unless it is included in a store promo and {le sigh}...

Agreed! I can't remember when was the last time I used a VIB 10% off coupon (except maybe in store), but I rather order on-line with ebates & a promo code. 

it looks like most of the time, instead of offering discounts, they bribe us with GWPs..

testing