Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Trending at Sephora
|

**CLOSED** Feedback Wanted: Panel Topics and Questions

threadimage_FINAL.png

EDIT 7/17: 

The panelists have been confirmed! Please let us know if you have any specific questions for these industry leaders. 

• KJ Miller, Co-Founder and Co-CEO of Mented Cosmetics
    • Sarah Curtis Henry, General Manager, North America for Fresh
    • Nancy Twine, Founder of Briogeo 

We are working on an event unlike most of the ones you see posted about here in Community. Next month, Sephora will be hosting a panel featuring an amazing group of speakers who will focus on beauty, diversity, and inclusion.

We know how passionate and knowledgeable members of the BIC are and wanted to incorporate your ideas into the actual event. Specifically, we want to know two things from you:

1. What topics or themes would you want covered during this panel?
  2. What questions would you want to ask the panelists?

Please leave a comment below with your answers to the questions above. We can’t wait to see this event come to life next month and to share all the details!

Tags:

Re: Feedback Wanted: Panel Topics and Questions

@Sharmelethat also reminded me of the YTTP minis I got, and was pleased with the cardboard packaging and glass containers that I could reuse!  I liked the old school packaging w/the typewriter font, and thought it was just as cool or cooler than other packaging (some 'vintage' UD lipsticks that I got had the same cardboard packaging), and it goes with their whole mantra.

YES! Love Youth to the People. Their glass jars would be...

YES! Love Youth to the People. Their glass jars would be perfect for refills!

@Sharmele @PinkEvergreen  yes, I wish they had lotions and creams in bulk, like some of them at the natural food stores.  especially since an ulta opened up near me a few years ago, so I like to ride my bike there (as I do everywhere), and it would be nice to be able to refill lotions and such.  and creams, since I like minis and being able to try different things, without having to buy the full size, but usually it's a better deal to just buy the bigger ones.  so it would be nice to be able to get however much you want and save money and packaging.

@Sharmele  I’m interested in this topic also. 

A couple months ago I chose a 1500-point reward from La Mer. It included a product sample and said that a donation would be made by La Mer to a particular ecological charity as part of the reward. Imagine my disappointment when the tiny sample arrived wrapped in plastic bubble wrap, inside a large decorative box, wrapped in more bubble wrap, inside a shipping box — even though the sample was in a plastic jar that was not at all fragile. 

We all need to do better. 

Totally agreed. Even receiving shipments from Sephora, I...

Totally agreed. Even receiving shipments from Sephora, I might purchase a 2 oz bottle of something and samples and it comes in a box far too large for the products inside. I'm trying to be conscious of packaging and not even purchase something if the packaging is ridiculous. It's always interesting to me to see beauty YouTubers review products and part of their review is the packaging. Why does "beautiful packaging" even matter?

Re: Totally agreed. Even receiving shipments from Sephora, I...

@Sharmele  I must say that, compared to Amazon, Sephora usually does a much better job with shipping. The vast majority of my orders come in small cardboard boxes with kraft paper as stuffing, not bubble wrap.

I ordered a single lip gloss from Amazon and it showed up in a 2’ x 1’ x 1’ box, full of plastic air pocket stuffing. As a result, I will no longer be ordering cosmetics of that type from them. 

@PinkEvergreen  I agree. I am wary of ordering small things from amazon.

My husband ordered a bag of 6 bark thin chocolates. Amazon placed that small box in a box the size of a medium suitcase and then used bags of ice inside. It was ridiculous.

@Sharmele 

YES! I'd love to see more brands doing refillable packages like by killian does for perfume for example.

Social and environmentally responsibly sourced ingredients and labor. I know "Clean beauty" is big now, and it's a step in the right direction (because it does right by customers), but having companies be urged/incentivized/pressured to provide transparency on their labor and material sourcing is crucial. I know Lush is all about this topic and I think its time more big companies be held accountable. I know that if consumers are educated on this, they will be willing to pay more for a product which does not allow for unfair treatment of both the environment and workers. 

RE: Feedback Wanted: Panel Topics and Questions

I would love to know their thoughts on “must have” products for beginners!

I would love to hear from the professionals what/who their inspirations are. It would be so cool to get inside their minds- see if there’s certain classic artists, make up artists, maybe nature... whatever they get inspired by to create products and looks. Would love to hear their stories of successes and failures too.

I would love to see some about how to go from work to night out, maybe with a single product like an eye shadow pallete? As someone who has recently graduated college and entered the work force in can be difficult to change  a look on the fly when you leave work at 5 or 6 and have an event at 6 or 7.  Most of my looks would require that I completely remove the make up I have on in order to create a new good look that doesn't look like I tried to cover another look with more make up. Maybe also how to achieve high fashion looks with ease or without breaking the bank. 

This sounds amazing, @GeorginaBT !  I can't wait to find out more so I can tune in!

1. I would love to see age stereotypes addressed.  There seems to be a broad misconception in the beauty community, both by brands and consumers in the industry, that everyone over 35 or 40 is the same and has the same skin care and beauty needs.  We do not all have the same needs - My skincare needs in my 40's are different from my mom's in her 60's and my grandma's in her 90's, so why do so many people in the industry lump us together and often write us off?

Also, as someone who spends an inordinate amount of time on Instagram, it boggles my mind to hear people make assumptions that women over 35 or 40 are not on social media.  While my primary follower demographic trends younger, I have a lot of followers who are my age and older.

I also especially dislike hearing that women over 35 or 40 need to wear "age appropriate makeup" - what does that even mean?  In my opinion, age appropriate makeup means be any age and wear whatever you want.

Sephora has so much influence in the beauty world - I'd love to hear how the company and some of their top brands can help break these stereotypes. 

2. I read several comments in this thread about comparing North American or Western beauty/skin care with that in other parts of the world - Vicky Tsai from Tatcha would be an amazing panelist on this topic!  I had the pleasure of hearing her Sephoria Masterclass Tour talk in Houston yesterday and she was truly an inspiration.

@Tamara76, You definitely make a very valid point on the...

@Tamara76, You definitely make a very valid point on the age and different needs at different age points, also I think Victoria would make an excellent panelist as she was so inspiring in Houston at Sephoria Masterclass.

Re: @Tamara76, You definitely make a very valid point on the...

Thank you, @Luvstravel !  I see that the panelists have been chosen and I cannot wait to tune in!

I definitely hope to see them address the topic of age! ❤️

For me, it's always ultimately about skin care. When you mention diversity and inclusion the first thing that comes to my mind is the difference in skin care for different skin types - not just pigmentation but also age and environment.  I live is dry, warm S. Ca.  What I face is so different from the challenges those in humid environments face.

Feedback Wanted: Panel Topics and Questions

theme:makeup artists specific picks for great anti-aging immediate and over time results. questions: what would be their number one go to for immediate results with a variety of skin types. what product would the most reach for for long term results. what products would they use for themselves to maintain youthful skin. what products would they reach for to repair sun damage to the face and hands. what product gives the best results for upper lid crepiness

I would like to know more about simplifying my skin routine. I get very overwhelmed by all the product out there I feel like sometimes I am using to many products and my skin doesn’t like it. I would rather spend good money on say three great products that actually need than on a bunch a stuff that is doing the same thing or I don’t necessarily need for my skin type. Thanks @GeorginaBT

I love getting lashed. Most lash extension salons will tell you not to use any products with glycerin, oil, or propelyn glycol. Most products have these ingredients. What does Sephora recommend?

I’m black so I’m interested to learn about at home laser therapy(mole and hyperpigmentation removal), dermablading, microneedling, and peels. Also interested in hydration for super dry skin. Masks are a must but are sleep masks necessary?

Id love fo address concepts of beauty and disability. Also product design and accessibility. I recently had a stroke and lost use of my left arm. I cant open many products. And my routine has had to change due to fatigue and ability. Often when we talk about inclusion we forgget the disabled.
Photos2
  • threadimage_FINAL.png
  • IMG000002.jpg
testing