Post in Skincare Aware
|

The most sensitive skin … need recs

Hi

i have very reactive sensitive skin. I’m 48 but still very clog prone

Im sick of my skin feeling dry , red irritated

I’ve tried inkey oat balm and to cleanser w no success 

my skin hates oils.. they seem to clog it irritate

foaming cleansers are too drying and lotion cream cleanser will cause clogs or breakouts

finding a cleanser seems to be my biggest issue

but open to all suggestions for a complete routine 

cleansers I’ve tried over the years 

tatcha-no irritation but breakouts

josie argan-red dry

fresh soy-breakouts

Inkey and to-breakouts redness burning

kate-irritation

claudalie- forgot but no good either 

thanks!!

kim

Re: The most sensitive skin … need recs

It sounds like your skin might be dehydrated as oils should help hydrate regardless if your skin is dry or oily. If products are burning, you may have damaged your acid mantle/skin barrier. What other products are you using? 

If this is indeed what’s going on, this happened to me quite a few times when I first started using chemical exfoliants/acids. Depending on the damage, it can take up tp 3 months to build the barrier back up. I tried so many products and at that time, even water burned when I’d attempt to cleanse. At its worst, I tried everything from drugstore (Cerave, Neutrogena) to midrange (Dermalogica, FAB) to high end (May Lindstrom, Zelens) to the ONLY products that didn’t sting/burn were the following:

Best of luck! If this isn’t helpful, I understand as skin is so damn YMMV. I do hope it helps someone out there dealing with the horrible  issues that occur with overexfoliantion or dehydrated skin. (Note - I don’t use any of those products as I think they are too expensive for me for everyday use. If I feel my face getting tight after cleansing or any stinging like feels like I’m pushing things with my acids, I do use the Stratia and the Dr. Jart+Cerave “composition” and things are back to normal the next day. 

@Kimd607 I second the recs for First Aid Beauty Pure Skin Face Cleanser 5 oz/ 150 mL (Ulta will be having it half off next week, and Sephora may do the same) and CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser.  Good luck.  Let us know how it goes 🙂

Hi! I’m also not a fan of the Inkey List oat cleansing balm. Lately I’ve had a lot of luck with cleansing balms though. I like the Farmacy Green Clean Makeup Removing Cleansing Balm Limited Edition Very Cherry 3.4 oz/ 100 mL one and the Glow Recipe Papaya Sorbet Smoothing Enzyme Cleansing Balm & Makeup Remover 3.4 oz/ 100 mL # one, but there are a multitude of cheaper alternatives. I love how gentle they are and how much more effectively they clean my skin, with none of the stripping/dryness I get from more traditional cleansers. The only “traditional” style cleanser I use anymore is the Krave Beauty Matcha cleanser, and I love it too!

So in the past I’ve had family members with the same issue. Something that helps is the ice rolling method. 
before bed take an ice cube and glide it all over your face until it is completely gone. 
double cleansing helps: 

one of my favorites is the

oat balm cleanser by the inkey list

To be followed up with a basic soap cleanser :

Skin script Rx : Glycolic cleanser 

I believe the cheapest one is 12 bucks and If you like it, you can buy the bigger bottle

Intetesting

will check it out thanjs 

Hi @Kimd607 ! I also have very reactive (inflammation-prone) skin, and it's sensitive to certain ingredients. Each night, I use CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser Bar on my face and body in the shower. Many folks love the liquid version (CeraVe Hydrating Facial Cleanser) instead, so also consider that one. I use the solid bar version because I'm trying to reduce the overall amount of plastic containers I buy. The cleanser bar gets the job done without making my mostly-dry combo skin feel stripped or tight. 

Thanks

i tried the hydrating cerave cleanser years ago and it didn’t work for me (forget why)

but now I’m writing everything down that I try and my reaction so I remember 

I wonder if the bar ingredients are different … will check out

thanks again 

@Kimd607  Have you tried First Aid Beauty Pure Skin Face Cleanser 8 oz/ 240 mL ?  It is great when my skin is dry and sensitive.

Yup believe it or not too drying

didnt cause redness or irritation and I tried using pea or half pea 

but was always too drying 😞

thanks though Kim

Conversation Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 10 Hearts Given
  • 7 Contributors
testing