Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐ŸŒฑ Korean Beauty: East Meets West-Skincare Edition ๐ŸŒฑ

As part of my New Year's resolution, I promised myself I would explore the world of Korean beauty a lot more than I have. I would love this to be a place to discuss and share your experience!

I am currently practicing the "7 Skin Method" every morning. This will help hydrate dry skin as well as balance sebum production is oily skin. I was a grease factory and am now very normal. This method is simply applying a hydrating toner 7 times in a row. You can use a cotton round, but I prefer to apply 5/6 drops to the palm of my hand and press it into my skin. I am currently using:

• Missha First Treatment Essence 2X ($49)
  • Amore Pacific Single Extract Vintage Essence 1X ($145)
  • ElishaCoy Moist Up Hyalurone Ampoule Essence 4X ($10)

Results are immediate! My skin is plump and glowing. Now, I could NEVER give up my Good Genes and Luna, but this will definitely take the place of some very expensive skincare products I use like my Vintner's Daughter. I would love to hear about Korean Beauty products you have discovered. I'm all for spending in the name of great skin! โค๏ธโค๏ธโค๏ธ

Re: ๐ŸŒฑ Korean Beauty: East Meets West-Skincare Edition ๐ŸŒฑ

@darlyndar I think I might end up with a Heimish haul. American brands are in a peachy browns rut but I need corals ๐Ÿ 

Heimish does more then skincare?? @fieldsofclover Oohhh whats their makeup like, have you tried it before?

@Aaliaa  They have some eye things, and I think blush too... I'm going to try their brow stuff and cream shadow crayons since I'm getting back into those lately. They have a set of pretty eyeshadow palettes too! I'm going to order from OhLolly but Yesstyle has some too.

Spoiler

Screenshot_20180401-074108.png

Very pretty!

I've crossed some kind of weird line where I actively resent putting on any kind of foundation/concealer, even the Laura Mercier luminizing tint I love. My skin certainly isn't airbrush-perfect or anything but I'm going bare-faced (powder only) more and more often lately. However, that can't go on much longer because I was relying on the LM for SPF...

I don't like moisturizer/SPF combos because I think they usually skimp on the moisturizer part, plus I don't really want to be pressing the ingredients of a good sunscreen into barrier-free skin day after day. So I've narrowed it down to three but I want to grab one today or tomorrow... so far the Lancรดme is winning for instant gratification reasons, because my local Sephoras all carry it (and I'm going to the mall later today) but I would need to have the others shipped.Wanted to try the Cane & Austin but it's been OOS for a long time...Wanted to try the Cane & Austin but it's been OOS for a long time...

@fieldsofclover I forget, whatโ€™s your skin type? I feel like youโ€™re dry but I may be wrong. 

@darlyndar I'm normal (that feels so weird to say... I'm the least normal person I know)... I was tilting a little dry but now that I'm not using the DDG peels every day or two I'm trending a wee bit oily instead. 

I think the Lancรดme is out of the running because both the Gรฉnifique and the ร‰nergie de Vie made me oily, which hasn't happened in ages, so I apparently need to steer clear of anything with alcohol in it nowadays.

@fieldsofclover I swear my Missha. This will be the only sunscreen I will ever use because of itโ€™s velvet finish. It doesnโ€™t leave a white cast and actually keeps me matte all day. Itโ€™s perfect for no makeup days and because youโ€™ve been forgoing foundation. I think it was $20 on OhLolly. Definitely worth checking out!

ACA3DF14-658A-4ECC-9738-6E939FEFC2F4.jpeg

( @RGbrown )

@fieldsofclover

(I've been creepily stalking this thread already. It's actually where I first saw the Volition ๐Ÿ˜ )

๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜„

I have to admit I'm actually a bit petrified of sunscreen. Every one I ever tried either clogged me up like crazy or burned my eyes horribly.

Spoiler
I also have to shamefully admit that it's probably been 10+ years since I've tried one at all...I gave up quite easily after some horrible test results in my late 20's and early 30's. Better late than never I guess, but I am finally coming to the conclusion that my skin will never look any better if I don't at least attempt to slow down even more future damage now. ๐Ÿ˜‘

๐ŸŒฑ Korean Beauty: East Meets West-Skincare Edition ๐ŸŒฑ

What are dine of you guys' favorite bb creams? I am pretty new the k beauty. โ˜บ

@octopusme I've discovered that finding a good BB cream can be an insanely difficult affair. Most Korean BB creams run pink and have a grey-ish or orange-ish cast, which is bad news for my neutral-to-yellow undertone. I'm currently using the Klairs Illuminating Supple BB Cream, which is the closest match I've found to my skin color / tone. It doesn't last very long, though. I can only get five solid hours out of it before I have to reapply and I have to baby it with touch-ups all day.

I really love Dr Jart's Premium Beauty Balm -- what an elegant formula! -- but it's too dark for me. I'm still bitter about it. I'm quite fair, though, so I'm sure their two shades work great for anyone one in the light-to-tan range.

@fieldsofclover Ooooh, now I'm curious about the Volition! I love the Neogen, so much so that I've purchased it for my mum and my sister. It's not a physical formula though, if that matters at all to you. For me, I feel like it's moisturizing, absorbs quickly (no sticky residue), pleasant smell, and just a great texture over all. It's my go to all summer, whether or not I'm wearing makeup (layers great underneath my standard powder or BB cream). My mum loves it too, I think she's probably on her second tube. 

@MissPuff The Volition is a chemical screen too, so I'm ok either way. I have a tube of Supergoop CC (mineral/physical) that I can use later in the summer or if I venture south this year, but it's actually better for me personally if I wear a chem SPF that wants to break down later in the day; I could use a bit of vitamin D ๐ŸŒฆ๏ธ๐Ÿ˜‚

I think the Neogen is attractive because then I'm not committed to a heavier "pearlized" finish?

@RachFace2921 @Zvezdochka I'm definitely going to hold off now until I hear what you both think of the Volition! I only want to throw $40 at this once this year, because I'm one of those people who pitches all my sunscreen every February and buys all new because I'm superstitious about potency.

Thank you for planning to report back for the rest of us ๐Ÿ•ต๏ธโ€โ™€๏ธ

@fieldsofclover definitely curious to find out which you pick - i'm really curious about the new volition and definitely plan to pick it up at some point! I got the cane and austin primer because I loved the whole slight tint/primer/sun screen but I don't really like it - it made me feel weirdly greasy throughout the day and I have dry skin. 

RE: Re: ๐ŸŒฑ Korean Beauty: East Meets West-Skincare Edition ๐ŸŒฑ

@fieldsofclover I was desperately trying to find a good SPF with a high level of protection at least for the beginning of the season. I really dislike coola and supergoop. Their products do not agree with my skin at all. I finally got NeoGen and I really like it. I can layer it on top of my serum and moisturizer without any issues. So far so good. Iโ€™m pleasantly surprised. I got a sample of Tatcha while I was in NYC since it was so silky smooth. But at times it does not agree with my Genefique. I placed an order for Volition on Saturday. Should be here by Tuesday or Wednesday. I will be happy to let you know what I think about it after a few uses. If that makes a difference I donโ€™t like covering my face with foundation. I prefer nothing or B.B. cream. I got my first (and hopefully last) foundation from Lancome (luminous foundation light coverage) a couple of months ago due to the stress finally showing up on my skin lol But I seem to be doing better and my skin reflects that, so hopefully only BB creams, Beccaโ€™s pink haze powder or nothing for me in the future (a girl can dream lol)

They may have changed the formula, but I was not impresse...

They may have changed the formula, but I was not impressed with the Lancome one when I tried it a few years ago. It managed to leave a noticeable white tint on me, and I'm already about as white as you can get. I had better luck with Coola matte tinted face sunscreen. It's just tinted enough to counter the whiteness of the formula, no real coverage to speak of.

I placed an order for the Volition spf 50, and promised I'd post swatches and a review.  It should arrive Tuesday if you're not in that big of a rush to order.

From what I can tell @fieldsofclover, I'm similarly fair as you, and I also hate foundation.   I've used a BB with spf, with a dusting of bare minerals, for a while now, and like the combo.  I recently discovered philosophy renewed hope skintint, and really like it.  It's probably similar to your LM, however (it's basically a Bb, regardless of how philosophy tries to market it).

@RachFace2921 I'm looking forward to your opinion on the Volition! I placed it  in my cart to order, so I'll patiently wait (haha) for your take of how it compares to your BB balm. 

I'll be sure to tag you on the post @yankeefaithful.  I don't expect it to replace my Bb, but a good face product that's that high in spf would be great.  I've yet to find a sunscreen above spf 25 that's pleasant enough to use.  Most are too oily or heavy, and I end up using them for my body.

BTW, I know you also like Dr. Jart Bb; I do as well.  The philosophy skintint I mentioned performs similarly, but without the grayish undertone.  

418 Replies
Photos36
  • essence pic.jpg
  • Screenshot_20180125-182702.png
  • Pyunkang Yul label
  • D6DE9B85-8F8E-43E2-89D6-5FEEBE5CAC8C.jpeg
  • IMG_20180214_162019-01.jpeg
  • IMG_7696.jpg
  • IMG_7697 (1).jpg
  • Massage Tool
  • Normal/Combonation
  • Dehydrated Oily