Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐ŸŒฑ Korean Beauty: East Meets West-Skincare Edition ๐ŸŒฑ

As part of my New Year's resolution, I promised myself I would explore the world of Korean beauty a lot more than I have. I would love this to be a place to discuss and share your experience!

I am currently practicing the "7 Skin Method" every morning. This will help hydrate dry skin as well as balance sebum production is oily skin. I was a grease factory and am now very normal. This method is simply applying a hydrating toner 7 times in a row. You can use a cotton round, but I prefer to apply 5/6 drops to the palm of my hand and press it into my skin. I am currently using:

• Missha First Treatment Essence 2X ($49)
  • Amore Pacific Single Extract Vintage Essence 1X ($145)
  • ElishaCoy Moist Up Hyalurone Ampoule Essence 4X ($10)

Results are immediate! My skin is plump and glowing. Now, I could NEVER give up my Good Genes and Luna, but this will definitely take the place of some very expensive skincare products I use like my Vintner's Daughter. I would love to hear about Korean Beauty products you have discovered. I'm all for spending in the name of great skin! โค๏ธโค๏ธโค๏ธ

Re: ๐ŸŒฑ Korean Beauty: East Meets West-Skincare Edition ๐ŸŒฑ

Committing to a tube of the Korres eye serum feels like it's as close as I'll personally come to doing any fillers or plastic surgery (which is to say, not very). It's not a miracle worker, to be sure, but just using the sample made a noticeable enough difference that I have to do my makeup a little differently now, because I'm not used to having any lid space. 

I feel like overall, the balance I've reached is one where I seek out hydration from K-beauty brands (essences, masks, mists), while my quest to reduce silicones and whatnot in my skincare has narrowed my attention to a few specific brands otherwise.

RE: ๐ŸŒฑ Korean Beauty: East Meets West-Skincare Edition ๐ŸŒฑ

Does anyone have recommendations for good Korean Luxury skincare brands? I went to Seoul a year ago and bought a lot of Korean skincare/makeup/ tons of sheet masks, but pretty much disappointed by all of them ( except for a couple of things like the banilla makeup remover balm, iope cushion foundation) I didnโ€™t use a single skincare product that I felt wowโ€™ed me, but I know I havenโ€™t tried all of them. The only slightly higher skin care brand Iโ€™ve used is Amore Pacific, the products are mostly nice, but just okay, definitely not better than my current regimen. Iโ€™m curious about sulwhasoo and history of whoo (so attracted by their packaging), has anyone used these two brands or have any good suggestions?

Re: RE: ๐ŸŒฑ Korean Beauty: East Meets West-Skincare Edition ๐ŸŒฑ

I've only tried some samples of creams and maybe one serum from Sulwhasoo but they were all very nice, and I'd definitely think about purchasing full sizes if money were no object. I'm dying to try their Ginseng line!

I'm going to go ahead and apologize for the length of this, sorry! So i currently do the ten step routine, minus sheet masks (we'll get to that later). I will list my current products, but first i would like to ask three questions for you to keep in mind while reading them; I would like to add the farsali volcasmic serum, where in the routine would it fit, is it any good/worth it? Any recommendations for sheet masks? I need a good eye cream as well, currently trying a DE C-Tango sample but not sure i want to take the 64 dollar plunge.  

Here's the run down on my skin: I have true oily skin (oily alllllll over, yes even jawline/cheeks), i am acne prone (starting to clear up, thank you tatcha!), have some scaring, a bit of redness from telangiectasia (widened blood vessels, hereditary) in small patches under my nose, somewhat dry under eyes that are sunken in (hereditary again, sigh) 

Okay here's my routine  (let me know if order needs to be changed, please)

Morning:

• Cleanse: tatcha the deep cleanse
  • tone: belif problem solution toner
  • Essence: belif problem solution essence
  • Serum: it's a tea tree serum that is also hydrating, not sure where it's from
  • Serum: the ordinary Ascorbyl Tetraisopalmitate Solution 20% in Vitamin F (not sold on this one, alternative suggestions welcomed)
  • Eye cream: ole henricksen banana bright or DE mentioned above 
  • Moisturizer: belif aqua bomb 

Night:

• Makeup remover: tatcha camilla oil
  • Cleanse: tatcha rice enzyme powder
  • Tone: belif problem solution
  • Essence: belif problem solution
  • Serum: random tea tree oil serum again
  • Serum: DE glycolic night serum
  • Serum: sometimes i add niacinamide from the ordinary
  • Eye cream: DE or ole henricksen
  • Moisturizer: laneige water sleeping mask 

It looks like you have a good routine atm @Rosegold47. Do you find its controlling your excess oil without drying/dehydrating your skin? I'm not a big fan of Farasali as a brand, and I think their are better oils out there. I like the Herbivore Lapis oil (and have heard good things about the SR UFO oil but haven't tried it myself yet) for combo-oily skin.

@Aaliaa My oil is more under control than it has ever been atm, no dry spots anywhere either. I've tried the UFO oil before, it definitely reduced oil (dried me out a little, even) and breakouts but my skin stayed red and irritated. It was very sensitizing to me for some reason and i am no stranger to salycilics. I will have to check out that Herbivore!

I'd say if your skin is fine, going into summer you might not even want to add an oil to you regiment. @Rosegold47

Forgot to answer your other question - when it comes to sheet masks I like them for hydration and brightening. Some of the brands I like include Too Cool for School (yellow one) and Dr. Jart.

@Aaliaa Thanks for the recommendation! I could go for some brightening, which ones do you like from Dr. Jart? 

๐ŸŒฑ Korean Beauty: East Meets West-Skincare Edition ๐ŸŒฑ

I have these wrinkles at the bottom corner of my eyes, lines, and puffiness under eyes when I smile. any recommendations?

The Biossance peptide eye gel works pretty well! 

@IamExquisite. Drunk elephant c Tango eye cream!

@fieldsofclover and anyone else who dry brushes. This Amya seem like a weird question, but to any of you use oils when you dry brush? If so, which ones? I am thinking of using oils, like maybe argan oil....... Seems like it would be a good choice. 

@mermadelove I don't, but I've had KP pretty much my whole life so I have to be particular about what order I do products in. When I am doing dry brushing (I seriously need to get back on the wagon, thanks for the reminder) I always pair it with an AM shower because it revs up your circulation. I dry brush first thing after getting up, with no products or anything else, then get in the shower, then do oil or whatever like normal after getting out. The dry brushing is for your skin, but since it's so stimulating (always brush toward the heart!) I think the body movements of applying an oil or lotion first would work against the brushing, especially if you're energetically sensitive.

@fieldsofclover er...... whatโ€™s KP?  Also, I usually shower in the evening, so I did my dry brushing last night ( DEFINITELY STIMULATINGG OMG!!!!)   I think I will follow your suggestion and just brush dry, then put oil or lotion on after shower as per usual. THANKS for the feedback!!! I love the brush I got from Sephora!   

@lawrenjoy A few of us in this thread are experimenting with the Tarte Knockout Treatment as an alternative to Good Genes.

@fieldsofclover   I am doing just that based on your recommendation!!! I actually am using it after I double cleanse, but before I use MArtian, the SR toner. I figured it would be fine as you all are talking about that seven layer toner technique. I just do a few of the tarte then one of Martian. Iโ€™d love to hear feedback from everyone on the tarte knockout treatment after a few weeks!!! Xoxox

OMG no @mermadelove, the seven layer technique is for a hydrating toner/essence. I would NOT do 7 layers of the Tarte Knockout treatment. You will damage your skin barrier. I would only use one acid product during a routine and go over your skin once at most twice with the same cotton pad. 

RE: Re: ๐ŸŒฑ Korean Beauty: East Meets West-Skincare Edition ๐ŸŒฑ

@Aaliaa this is just what I needed to know as I am only a few months in to an extensive skin routine. I wonder just how much one can mix the chemical/physical exfoliation without permanently damaging the skin.

Re: RE: Re: ๐ŸŒฑ Korean Beauty: East Meets West-Skincare Edition ๐ŸŒฑ

Glad it helped you @eshoe. I personally don't use a physical exfoliation anymore and have completely switched over to a chemical exfoliation and found better results. I use a a different chemical exfoliation morning and night and its worked really well for my skin - though I do skip my routines a few times a week. Some people can't handle it more then a few times a week so I would say see how your skin reacts. Good luck with your new skincare!

@Aaliaa. NOTED!!! O do you think it is ok to use the tarte knockout then my SR Martian toner? One layer of each??? ( Thanks for saving my skin!!! ) Thankfully Iโ€™ve only done that three times! ( and not seven layers each time). 

I had a quick look at the ingredient list and couldn't see any acids in the SR. It also recommends using it with the UFO Oil which I know has salicylic acid in it so you should be good. You might find the duo a little drying though, so a hydration essence/serum could be beneficial if you are in the mood to add another step! @mermadelove

Photos36
  • essence pic.jpg
  • Screenshot_20180125-182702.png
  • Pyunkang Yul label
  • D6DE9B85-8F8E-43E2-89D6-5FEEBE5CAC8C.jpeg
  • IMG_20180214_162019-01.jpeg
  • IMG_7696.jpg
  • IMG_7697 (1).jpg
  • Massage Tool
  • Normal/Combonation
  • Dehydrated Oily
  • Oily