Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Interested in face masks—don’t know where to start

hiii, I’m relatively new to skincare, and one of the biggest things I’ve noticed is like how expensive face masks are 😅 and also how do I know which one is good for me. Help 💀

Re: Interested in face masks—don’t know where to start

Ughhh face masks are the best! Especially if you’re finding your skin needs a last minute pick-me-up. Research your skin type before starting to look into masks but I’m a dry skin gal with some eczema on my cheeks, especially going into fall/winter so I always keep an eye out for more hydration masks that are minimal fragrance so they don’t irritate my skin and something with super great ingredients. Always read ingredients!

I’ve been recently LOVING the Topicals - Like Butter mask for hydration, as well Dermalogica has some super awesome options for all different skin types. Lastly, the Sunday Riley makes are always sooo nice on the skin.

Sheet masks are fun too but they’re basically just one big serum sheet so I’d rather apply my serums directly from a bottle (The Ordinary Hyaluronic Acid for example) and then layer a physical cream mask over that to help push the serum in for extra benefit!

enjoy your self care journey 😚

Hi there @nerdyliz! 👋🏼 I hear ya! When I first started getting more into skincare, it was easy to get overwhelmed by sheer amount of products out there, and the price too! It can be a lot even now, but it’s something I’ve gotten a better handle on over time. Narrowing down the masks that would be best suitable for you depends on a few factors, including 

• skin type (normal, dry, oily, combination)
  • skin concerns (sensitive, dehydrated, acne-prone, enlarged or clogged pores, blackhead, redness, dullness, firming, etc.)
  • preferred price point or price range (under $20, $20 - $35, $35-$50, over $50, etc.)
  • preferred mask style (wash off, overnight, sheet mask, exfoliating)
  • preferred ingredient or attributes or ones that you prefer to avoid (i.e., organic, added fragrance, chemical actives like salicylic acid or glycolic acid, essential oils, vitamin C, etc)

If you’re not sure about any of these, not a problem, as I’m sure there’ll be folks on BIC who can offer recommendations (and a few who already have 😊). If you have an idea of these things, let us know and we can make recommendations that are more in tune with your preferences. 

Super excited to hear you’re getting into skincare and masks! It’s good timing too - with the holiday season quickly approaching, there will probably be more skincare and masks sampler sets popping up and those can be a great way to try out a few products  (from the same brand as well as a variety of brands) at a price point that is kinder on the wallet.

@nerdyliz face masks don’t have to be $$$ to do your skin a favor, although they can be. You have some excellent advice here from @ather and @CookieGirl1, so I am just going to echo in. I had no idea about TJ Maxx when I first started masking. There were mask subs available that offered a variety of masks for a very reasonable price every month. There are plenty of sites that showcase some fun and unique masks (Mask Sheets, for example). If you travel, seeking out masks along the way is fun. The majority of masks I use now are a blend of TJ Maxx finds, well-loved repeat buys, and a handful of special, new and exciting tries.

If you need some inspiration, you can always hop on over here, as there are plenty of helpful and adventurous maskers ☺️💕😌 Mask of the Week Challenge 😌💖 

@nerdyliz don't let yourself feel intimidated; masks should be fun or relaxing or beneficial, not stressful :).  First of all, try and figure out what you want a mask to do for you or accomplish: do you want it for relaxation?  Is there a problem or issue with your skin that you want to tackle?  That will help you know what claims to look for when you're mask-shopping,  Also think about what TYPE of mask you might want because there are sheet masks, clay masks, overnight masks, masks in pots or packets...you get the idea.

And yes, some masks are expensive but there are plenty that aren't.  Keep in mind that you don't HAVE to pick a pricey high-end mask, especially when you're just trying to figure out where to get started and what you like.  Go look at the selection of drugstore masks or even somewhere like TJ Maxx for lower-priced options.  A lower price doesn't necessarily mean lower quality!  You can also look into sampler sets (Sephora ALWAYS puts out a killer sheet mask box set around the holidays) and there are even a lot of multi-packs available on Amazon at a pretty affordable price if you want to try a little of everything.  Keep an open mind and just have fun choosing something 😊.

@nerdyliz  Oooo love face masks. Have you checked out 💕😌 Mask of the Week Challenge 😌💖

Do you have a preference do you like the ones you apply or sheet masks? The Sephora Collection is a great place to start! SEPHORA COLLECTION Face Mask Grape  

5 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 22 Hearts Given
  • 6 Contributors
testing