Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

HELP! Bad reaction to Biossance Squalane + Phyto Retinol Serum

Hi Everyone! First time posting here. I just purchased Biossance’s Squalane Phyto Retinol Serum and after one use (overnight), I woke up with a terrible reaction. My face/eyes/mouth were swollen, red and burning. It progressively got worse and now on day 2, my face is still swollen and I’ve now broken out  with whiteheads ALL over the place. It’s burning and painful. This serum is the only change I made in my skincare regimen, and I generally do not have very sensitive skin. This is the first time I have ever experienced a reaction, and I have used retinol before without any issues. 

Please help! How do I fix this? What can I do to treat it? Thank you in advance!! I really appreciate your help!!

Re: HELP! Bad reaction to Biossance Squalane + Phyto Retinol Serum

The same thing happened to me with a prescription retinol! 

So glad to have found this post. I've tried several of the products but I believe I've narrowed it down to the rose oil. That one did a number on my face. At first, I did get some irritation thinking perhaps it was the lactic acid or retinol. I then changed to using those every few days. I went on a trip and did not use the rose oil for about 10 days. Upon returning, I resumed using the oil. BAM!! Next day, full face irritation and rash; redness, dry, scaly skin, swelling, lips dry and cracked. It was horrible. I didn't know what until it dawned on me it was the rose oil. I've tried the other products with no reaction, but this....oh boy, never again. 

I just had the same reaction to biossance squalane oil - my face was incredibly swollen so bad that my eyes were almost swollen shut. And now my skin is burning with a rough texture and is still swollen. I did not have any reaction the first time I put it on, so didn't think twice about the second application. DON'T BUY. 

I had the exact same reaction, but after using it for over a month consistently. I found it hard to believe, because it was working and I used probably half the bottle, but then 3 different times I was having skin reactions. I made sure this was the only "NEW" product I was using to test my fear/theory that it was the BIossance + Squalene vit C product that at first I was obsessed with, re: the results of dark spot removal.

Used it once 3 days ago and woke up to a swollen face and my eyes are almost shut with blurred vision. Going to see an ophthalmologist in two days because my vision is still having issues. I think I'm done with commercial beauty products for a while. This is the worst allergic reaction I've ever had to a product. Something is going on with my body and I'm becoming sensitive to the chemicals in these products. My skin is extremely dry and scaled and HURTS. Thank God I can wear a mask to hide my disgusting face and even my neck is burned. Definitely done with this brand forever.

Same here. Never have reacted to anything before and reacted to both the face and eye. Eyes swollen, face broke out now for several weeks and I never break out 

That’s because there isn’t retinol in this serum. The active ingredient is bakuchiol. It’s considered a natural alternative to retinol because it produces similar results. It’s nothing like retinol however.  

Wow so I’m not the only one. I used the squalene cleansing oil and my lips started to swell, irritate and fill with blisters that wouldn’t heal (which I thought were sores at first). Oddly enough, the rest of my face didn’t react...I stopped using it and my lips healed instantly

Same here 😞Used it two nights ago, Biossance Squalane phyto-retinol serum + Biossance Omega repair cream + Biossance Rose + Squalane Oil. I've never had such a horrible reaction before, my face got all itchy at night, woke up twice to wash my face but it must have absorbed by then. My face was all red and super itchy the following morning, so swollen my fine lines got all smoothed out, cheek bones gone, looking like my 3 yo niece with chubby cheeks. I used oat + greek yogurt mixture 3x times on the following day, scared to use any cosmetic products at that point. Woke up with puffy eyes on day 2, same story with my face. Now it's day three - I'm having a super dry cast on my face, it's still red, like sunburned, a bit less swollen, super dry. Taking Zyrtek, can't believe I paid $150+ to get my face burnt.. Have had a poor experience with Biossance Eye Cream too now that I think about it, their only product that I'm happy with and keep repurchasing is the lightweight day cream. 

RE: HELP! Bad reaction to Biossance Squalane + Phyto Retinol Serum

Same here! I am extremely sensitive, though. I would just use cetaphil or avene’s ‘cetaphil’ it’s free of parabens etc., unlike cetaphil. You can get it online. Or try using only ‘ultrabland’ from Lush, as directed, until your skin calms down. Or basic first aid beauty’s basic face wash with oat in it and a very basic moisturizer, like first aid beauty ultra moisturizer. I’m really liking first aid beauty.

Yes same here!! I went to a wedding in Florida and I got a severe reaction with red, itchy, swollen skin and fluid filled blisters. Plus, I had a bunch of little whitehead type things in the initial reaction. I have also been using their Omega Repair Cream and Peptide Eye Gel and have had not one but two similar reactions in the past month now. I’m consulting with a physician tomorrow to see what’s up. It’s painful, embarrassing, and definitely not something I want to have to worry about every month. If I get any details on what it could be, I’m happy to share here. Not wanting this to happen to the next person.

I used a sample of the Biossance Squalene + Phyto Retinol Serum once last night and woke up with a severe allergic reaction.  My eyes are swollen almost shut and my entire face is red, itchy hot and bumpy.  I was shocked to google this product and see so many people have adverse reactions.  This product should not be on shelves and most definitely does not meet the quality criteria of a product that Sephora is pushing samples from. Very painful experience.

I just used my sample from sephora today. My face is red. My neck is swollen red with rashes and hurts to touch. I rinsed off and put calamine lotion and took some Claritin. Hope it doesn't get worse. I've never had a reaction in my life. Can't believe Sephora is handing out these samples either, after so many bad reviews.

Same here...it’s never happened to me before. I am so disappointed and had to get on prednisone 

It burned my face. I am on topical and oral antibiotics. It’s very scary!

So weirdly I am reacting to the plain squalane oil! When I use it my skin gets hot, red and itchy. I thought it would be fine for sensitive skin but I guess not

Yup having terrible reaction on my eyelids only from the oil, didn’t Have this problem with my previous squalene bottles, not sure if the ingredients have changed!! 

Same here, I’m usually not very sensitive, I applied plain Squalene to face and neck and woke with puffy eyes and red hot patches on my neck. 

Omg I had red patches on my neck too and look like Eczema , never had these skin issues before

Hi, had a similar reaction. I was given a small sample of this product at checkout and I tried it once AM/PM and the next day I woke up with a tiny white spots all over my face! I have used other retinol products quite regularly so I surprised by this reaction. 

41 Replies
Conversation Stats